Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )

jumpship

37 minutes ago, RobboM said:

The explosion in small boat migration?
The shrinking economy?
UK losing international relevance?
Missing from the European transport map?
Longer queues at ports/airports?
Champagne in pint glasses?
image.jpeg.0f3f8a63bf64b6edd5b73fe0adfc04c4.jpeg

Magic 8 ball is never wrong

So we are still out ? 

• Replies 25.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

manaliveits105
3 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I'm old enough to remember you greeting about the ex-pats not being given leave to stay in Spain permanently.

You left. Deal with it. 😎

I'm cool my travel  patterns haven't really changed much and haven't encountered any queue problems I voted remain but  will just get on with things as they come and not spend my life moaning about it 

manaliveits105
9 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

So we are still out ? 

The two  UK main parties are apparently thinking about Brexitref2 after reading this thread 

1 minute ago, manaliveits105 said:

problems I voted remain but  will just get on with things as they come and not spend my life moaning about it 

Me too . It’s done and dusted and it’s not coming back anytime soon , so no use greeting about it , daily , 

Just now, manaliveits105 said:

The two  UK main parties are apparently thinking about Brexitref2 after reading this thread 

Clutching at straws it seems 

12 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

I'm cool my travel  patterns haven't really changed much and haven't encountered any queue problems I voted remain but  will just get on with things as they come and not spend my life moaning about it 

studio-shot-of-young-man-winking-while-f

Nucky Thompson
1 hour ago, RobboM said:

The explosion in small boat migration?
The shrinking economy?
UK losing international relevance?
Missing from the European transport map?
Longer queues at ports/airports?
Champagne in pint glasses?
image.jpeg.0f3f8a63bf64b6edd5b73fe0adfc04c4.jpeg

Magic 8 ball is never wrong

The UK is the 6th largest economy in the World, it was before Brexit and it will be in 15 years time when it will also be Europe's best performing major economy according to Bloomberg.

I've never encountered any queues when I've flown to Europe and I go at least 3 times a year

Nucky Thompson
32 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

It seems like the folk moaning about the queues are the ones that never travel anywhere.

I'm not saying that there are no queues at Dover in busy, holiday times, but how many people from Scotland drive through the port of Dover when going on holiday

periodictabledancer
34 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

The UK is the 6th largest economy in the World, it was before Brexit and it will be in 15 years time when it will also be Europe's best performing major economy according to Bloomberg.

I've never encountered any queues when I've flown to Europe and I go at least 3 times a year

Interesting , because I'm seeing Poland tipped to outstrip UK very soon. Also interesting that Bloomberg are suggesting an economy constrained by brexit should be Europe's "best performing economy". 

Your last sentence is that magical "it never happens to me so it's all bollocks" type post.

I haven't travelled to any major Europen city in the last five years that hasn't resulted  in queueing on entry & departure for the self inflicted need for passport stamping. Good for you though. 

Nucky Thompson
12 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

Interesting , because I'm seeing Poland tipped to outstrip UK very soon. Also interesting that Bloomberg are suggesting an economy constrained by brexit should be Europe's "best performing economy". 

Your last sentence is that magical "it never happens to me so it's all bollocks" type post.

I haven't travelled to any major Europen city in the last five years that hasn't resulted  in queueing on entry & departure for the self inflicted need for passport stamping. Good for you though. 

UK Economy Forecast to Narrow GDP Gap With Germany by 2038 - Bloomberg

Aye, just like your "it always happens to me and everyone I know" type post

The Mighty Thor
12 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

Smell the desperation...

It'll be great for the retailers. 568ml of wine for the same price a 750ml bottle used to be.

Bumper brexit brucie bonus 

Nucky Thompson
1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

It'll be great for the retailers. 568ml of wine for the same price a 750ml bottle used to be.

Bumper brexit brucie bonus 

They aren't getting rid of 750ml bottles, this is just another option.

They are also letting wine be sold in 200ml measures 

periodictabledancer
24 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It's a strange quirk of brexit that people like you will not accept that UK travellers  are being held up  at airports to have passports stamped , and the denial is " well,  it isn't happening  to me". 

periodictabledancer
30 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

"The changes will help to boost innovation, increase business freedoms and improve choice for consumers."

Cos selling wine in pint measures will be SO appealing. You can almost hear the UK wine industry falling over itself to sign up to the added cost of one pint  bottles (which they won't be able to export to the EU). "business freedoms " though. 

The Mighty Thor
55 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Didn't say they were.

I'm saying you'll end up getting a 568ml for the price you current pay for a 750ml.

That's how shrinkflation works and this pish idea facilitates that. 

The Mighty Thor
24 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

"The changes will help to boost innovation, increase business freedoms and improve choice for consumers."

Cos selling wine in pint measures will be SO appealing. You can almost hear the UK wine industry falling over itself to sign up to the added cost of one pint  bottles (which they won't be able to export to the EU). "business freedoms " though. 

A huge percentage of wine sold through UK supermarkets is bottled in the UK. 

These greedy bassas will be all over it 

manaliveits105
38 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

It's a strange quirk of brexit that people like you will not accept that UK travellers  are being held up  at airports to have passports stamped , and the denial is " well,  it isn't happening  to me". 

In Spain they used to look at your passport 95% of the time before brexit now they look and stamp it 

the stamping takes about 1 second Ive certainly not witnessed any extra delays due to Brexit 

il Duce McTarkin
21 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

A huge percentage of wine sold through UK supermarkets is bottled in the UK. 

These greedy bassas will be all over it 

Who only drinks one pint of wine, anyway?

Nucky Thompson
36 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Didn't say they were.

I'm saying you'll end up getting a 568ml for the price you current pay for a 750ml.

That's how shrinkflation works and this pish idea facilitates that. 

We get ripped off in Scotland when it comes to buying wine anyway.

We pay more for a bottle than they do in England, plus we don't get any promotions like buy 6 bottles and get 25% off.

We'll still get all of our bottles imported from Europe in 750ml bottles :biggrin2:

You'll now be able to buy a pint of the stuff in a boozer though

Nothing much will change imo

5 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

The British economy will grow in absolute terms compared to Germany because the British population will increase faster than Germany's, assuming no change to expected trends.  This will happen because the UK will have a higher rate of immigration than Germany, mainly from non-European countries.  Germany will still have a higher per capita income and a higher standard of living than the UK, but fewer people.

That's according to one analysis.  According to this one, Germany's economy will still be bigger than the UK's in 2050 - and this one assumes that the UK will be better than the EU at trading with the rest of the world's emerging economies.  It doesn't say why, it just makes the assumption.

UK could remain a top-10 global economy in 2050 - despite Brexit (pwc.co.uk)

Here's an article from early last year about "the rise of the Polish economy".  The article is actually about some politicking by the Labour Party, but a key point it makes is that it's easy to grow your economy faster when you're poorer.  Poland is growing rapidly, but even in a couple of generations from now people in Poland won't be better off than their UK counterparts.  Likewise, the Italian economy briefly got bigger than the UK's in the mid-80s, but that didn't last long.  Mexico will have a bigger economy than the UK in the future, as will Indonesia.  China and India already have bigger economies than the UK, and in fact within 10-20 years their economies will be bigger than the EU or the US as well.  But they won't be richer, because their economic growth will mainly be based on bigger populations and the availability of cheap labour, and also because as they get a bit richer their rate of growth will be harder to maintain and will slow down.  In 2022 and earlier in 2023 I was reading news articles asking why the UK was falling behind in Europe.  Now I'm reading that the UK is booming ahead while Germany stagnates - all in the space of six or seven months.  No doubt in 6-7 months time I'll be reading something else.

The Guardian view on economic comparisons: Poland’s rise is not about our faults | Editorial | The Guardian

Luxembourg has a small economy compared to the UK, but it has a higher per capita income and standard of living.  The same goes for Switzerland, Norway, Austria, Denmark, Sweden, Iceland and the Netherlands.  The key for the British economy is not to win some "look at the size of mine" contest so that Brexiteers can do the social media equivalent of chucking street furniture around while pissing in fountains and grunting "In-ger-laaaand".  The key is to increase the average and median income and living standards of people, because that's how you add to their economic well-being.  As for their social and cultural well-being, that's a whole other question.  The UK isn't great at that, IMO, but then again I'm not sure many other countries can say they're being successful.

Edited by Ulysses

So the UK's billionaires will get even richer faster than Germany's billionaires do?

Rule Brittania!

Meanwhile, the standard of living for UK citizens will continue to plummet.

Employment rights will continue to be degraded.

Environmental standards will continue to fall.

Pollution will rise.
Sickness will rise.
Destitution will rise.
Homelessness will rise.

But "the economy" will apparently be going great guns.

:fonzie:

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
13 hours ago, Cade said:

So the UK's billionaires will get even richer faster than Germany's billionaires do?

Rule Brittania!

Meanwhile, the standard of living for UK citizens will continue to plummet.

Employment rights will continue to be degraded.

Environmental standards will continue to fall.

Pollution will rise.
Sickness will rise.
Destitution will rise.
Homelessness will rise.

But "the economy" will apparently be going great guns.

:fonzie:

According to one bullshitter there aren't any queues when they go to the EU.

:rofl:

i wish jj was my dad
13 hours ago, Cade said:

Rule Brittania!

Precisely what Brexit was all about. 

Nucky Thompson
22 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

According to one bullshitter there aren't any queues when they go to the EU.

Not just no queues, they have also built new extensions at Corfu and Zante airports exclusively for Brits. Nice large areas with cafes and bars :sweeet:

Straight through security after the 2 seconds it takes for them to stamp your passport :lol:

They certainly know where their bread is buttered in Greece

11 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Not just no queues, they have also built new extensions at Corfu and Zante airports exclusively for Brits. Nice large areas with cafes and bars :sweeet:

Straight through security after the 2 seconds it takes for them to stamp your passport :lol:

They certainly know where their bread is buttered in Greece

I live in Lanzarote and when I return here from the UK there are rarely queues but there is no passport stamping as they have electronic entry and it is in relative terms, like Corfu and Zante, a small airport. I did return from Toronto to Madrid in October and had to join the Non Eu queue. It was horrendous and took about an hour to get through. It moved slowly whereas the EU queue (there was one) was quick and had no hold up. 

The panic about brexit was about how badly it would hit “the city”.

it didn’t really, so nobody cares about the rest .

That means the economy (GDP) is artificially healthy looking , whilst everything else is shite.

financial services are fine = brexit worked

That thing you do
22 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Me too . It’s done and dusted and it’s not coming back anytime soon , so no use greeting about it , daily , 

I reserve the right to moan as my right to live and work in 27 countries (which ive used) was taken away cause folk in another country "dont like polish butcher shops init"

2 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

I reserve the right to moan as my right to live and work in 27 countries (which ive used) was taken away cause folk in another country "dont like polish butcher shops init"

This. Stripped of my eu citizenship against my will, passport removed and lost a whole raft of benefits along with it.

Only for immigration to get worse

Nucky Thompson
22 minutes ago, russ said:

I did return from Toronto to Madrid in October and had to join the Non Eu queue. It was horrendous and took about an hour to get through. It moved slowly whereas the EU queue (there was one) was quick and had no hold up. 

I've never had to fly into an EU country on a transatlantic flight, but I can imagine that will be a lot more trickier.

I've only flown into European holiday destinations from the UK and never encountered a queue once.

I guess they are all geared up for British holiday makers at those airports.

Even when I flew into Bergamo airport last year when I was going to Florence, the EU queue was enormous but the non EU one was non existent 

i wish jj was my dad
57 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Please do elaborate on all of these 'benefits' other than making it easier for Aaron Banks and his likes to become even more filthy rich. 

Nucky Thompson
10 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Please do elaborate on all of these 'benefits' other than making it easier for Aaron Banks and his likes to become even more filthy rich. 

I'm not suggesting benefits, but I don't think Brexit was manufactured by Cameron or the UK government to make billionaires richer

Nucky Thompson
42 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

This. Stripped of my eu citizenship against my will, passport removed and lost a whole raft of benefits along with it.

Only for immigration to get worse

You can still retire and live in Spain if you have 1 million euros in the bank.

Money talks in most countries 

i wish jj was my dad
5 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I'm not suggesting benefits, but I don't think Brexit was manufactured by Cameron or the UK government to make billionaires richer

I don't think Cameron or the UKG (under Cameron or May) manufactured Brexit to benefit billionaires. Cameron wanted to put little englander arseholery in his own party to bed and gambled the farm on it. 

Instead the ERG and UKIP faction backed by Banks & Co actually pulled off their heist and since they did for May we've been run by a mob of chancers who are very much in it for the benefit of billionaires. 

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

I don't think Cameron or the UKG (under Cameron or May) manufactured Brexit to benefit billionaires. Cameron wanted to put little englander arseholery in his own party to bed and gambled the farm on it. 

Instead the ERG and UKIP faction backed by Banks & Co actually pulled off their heist and since they did for May we've been run by a mob of chancers who are very much in it for the benefit of billionaires. 

Fair comment. 

i wish jj was my dad
1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Fair comment. 

And as Nucky said no suggestion of any benefits but we've all got to just to suck it up and accept it. 

12 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I've a pal who's retired and living in Spain.  Has he a million yoyos?  Nope, he doesn't.  But then, he's not British.

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

And as Nucky said no suggestion of any benefits but we've all got to just to suck it up and accept it. 

Stiff upper lip shite.

Land of Hope and Despair. 

21 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

And there it is.

So if you are rich it’s fine.

otherwise it’s not.

Widened the gap of haves vs have nots

i wish jj was my dad
28 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Well, that's alright then. 

I see a certain couple of posters voted remain anaw, to go along with their votes for the SNP and Yes. 

Aye, we believe you. Probably married with child, whilst claim to be gay. 

Christ! Does Barrymore posts on Jkb? 🤯 Walter Mitty certainly does.

Edited by ri Alban

And how a certain poster gets to accuse another of the worst thing a human can ever do, but Continues unchecked,  is beyond me. 

manaliveits105

You can apply for Spanish residency if your passive income (pensions/investments) are 28000 euros single or 34000 euros joint pa 

18 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

And how a certain poster gets to accuse another of the worst thing a human can ever do, but Continues unchecked,  is beyond me. 

Awe diddums ! Sook it up buttercup . Learn to be more subtle and you’ll face less pokey time 🕰️ 😂😂😂😂 

IMG_6455.gif

Edited by JudyJudyJudy