Jump to content
jimmyjambo

Favourite Beer

Recommended Posts

Jambo-Jimbo
5 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

having a couple of these tonight

 

fyne-ales-jarl.jpg

 

Nice, been a few years since I had this, will need to try again, enjoy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambo-Jimbo

Last beer for tonight is a Belgian Stout.

Monk's Stout (5.2%), Dupont Brewery, Tourpes.

Quite mild tasting, nothing to write home about.

image.thumb.jpeg.bd0d8867c7f18400e5df707a0ff051fe.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vegas-voss

Dark Island tonight for myself quite nice.Only had one Old Jock in the shop when the wife went for me so will save that for tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jambopilms
On 24/06/2020 at 18:42, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Not much difference between the bottled and cask versions.

Another one of my regular beers.

 

image.png.c6b38e18562a1e2c9187486f9f570853.png

I did a tour of the Badger Brewery last year as a works leaving do.

Not my cup of tea but they have a big selection of ales.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambo-Jimbo
13 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

I did a tour of the Badger Brewery last year as a works leaving do.

Not my cup of tea but they have a big selection of ales.

 

Yeh, Hall & Woodhouse brew quite a few beers, they also run quite a few pubs, was drinking Pickled Partridge beer in one of their pubs in West Sussex on Christmas Eve past, lovely stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NANOJAMBO

For Father's Day I got a "Pub in a Box" selection from this place. 

I've been to some of their pubs  so I know some of their beers already but they do some very good & varied stuff. Although I'm not a fan of the plum porter , which I think is honking. 

 

https://www.titanicbrewery.co.uk/shop/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambo-Jimbo
6 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

For Father's Day I got a "Pub in a Box" selection from this place. 

I've been to some of their pubs  so I know some of their beers already but they do some very good & varied stuff. Although I'm not a fan of the plum porter , which I think is honking. 

 

https://www.titanicbrewery.co.uk/shop/

 

They do/did some beers for Morrisons (American Red Ale & Golden Ale), both were ok.

 

Agree the Plum Porter was not that good, neither was their stout, which I didn't like at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambo-Jimbo

Wychwood Brewery - Diceman Stout (5%), pretty bog standard tbh, first time I've had this, won't rush to have it again.

 

image.thumb.jpeg.92b90e50a5294926f85e0be2005225bc.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambo-Jimbo

Dragon Stout (7.5%), brewed by Desnoes & Geddes, Kingston, Jamaica. (Small 284ml Bottle)

Really roasted taste, but not enough to make it unpleasant, if you like roasted malts, then you may like this.

I've had this several times over the years now, last time was back in 2014, so it was due a re-try.

 

image.thumb.jpeg.dbc171df12b9b1e794ba232706f0e2f2.jpeg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
heartsfc_fan

A good one for me tonight. Stewart's Brewing in Loanhead are worth a visit. Been there a few times and done a Brewery tour (recommend once lockdown restrictions are over).

Radical Road, triple hopped IPA. 6.4%. Beautiful stuff. And my folks got me a freshly poured Growler (2 litre) today after I paid them a visit in exchange for seeing their grandkids ( 🙂 or maybe it was just a free lunch):

images.jpg.135aadd199ce0b4339e114c3a08ed214.jpg

 

 

The beer in question (new branding now - you can get this in Sainsbury's, Lidl I think, and that Brewery online. No sign yet in Tesco or Asda):

 

images(2).jpg.88ba5b43eb951ee9fed33f9e2f7959f6.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambo-Jimbo
11 hours ago, heartsfc_fan said:

A good one for me tonight. Stewart's Brewing in Loanhead are worth a visit. Been there a few times and done a Brewery tour (recommend once lockdown restrictions are over).

Radical Road, triple hopped IPA. 6.4%. Beautiful stuff. And my folks got me a freshly poured Growler (2 litre) today after I paid them a visit in exchange for seeing their grandkids ( 🙂 or maybe it was just a free lunch):

images.jpg.135aadd199ce0b4339e114c3a08ed214.jpg

 

 

The beer in question (new branding now - you can get this in Sainsbury's, Lidl I think, and that Brewery online. No sign yet in Tesco or Asda):

 

images(2).jpg.88ba5b43eb951ee9fed33f9e2f7959f6.jpg

 

If you get the chance try the brew kitchen, 4 of us brewed our own Belgian Abbey style beer, 7.4% it came out, 126 x 500ml bottles, lovely.

 

Not been to Stewarts this year with one thing or another, often drop in whenever we're in Edinburgh, got two 1 litre growlers which I get filled now and again.

 

Hopefully will be able to pay them a visit in the near future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dawnrazor
Posted (edited)

thumb__640_500_0_0_crop.png

 

Lovley drop this, got a couole of others to try tonight, can recommend this one though.

Edited by Dawnrazor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Auld Reekin'
7 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

thumb__640_500_0_0_crop.png

 

Lovley drop this, got a couole of others to try tonight, can recommend this one though.

 

Not a fan of the usual Landlord as it's too hoppy for my 'buds. Might try this one though if I ever see it on draught or in bottles. Is it a bit maltier or less bitter?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dawnrazor
7 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

 

Not a fan of the usual Landlord as it's too hoppy for my 'buds. Might try this one though if I ever see it on draught or in bottles. Is it a bit maltier or less bitter?

Maltier and a tiny sweet edge, it's but I like the Landlord but don't like overly hoppy beers.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Auld Reekin'
5 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Maltier and a tiny sweet edge, it's but I like the Landlord but don't like overly hoppy beers.

 

 

Me neither, so this sounds a bit more to my taste.   :icon14:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dawnrazor
Posted (edited)

ekakFYMEpQB9-sbBV-ou2nQdOw0lDLJ5TogW9bLW

Edited by Dawnrazor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Auld Reekin'
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

ekakFYMEpQB9-sbBV-ou2nQdOw0lDLJ5TogW9bLW

 

My other half would be all over that! Sure I'd enjoy it myself, come to that.

 

Got 45 pints of homebrew Yorkshire Bitter bottle-conditioning (I hope...   :ermm:) at the mo', so that'll be my favourite beer (I hope...   :ermm:) in a couple of weeks time.

Edited by Auld Reekin'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dawnrazor

2908178fcf2684f7617346d19e97a8fb.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dawnrazor
12 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

 

My other half would be all over that! Sure I'd enjoy it myself, come to that.

 

Got 45 pints of homebrew Yorkshire Bitter bottle-conditioning (I hope...   :ermm:) at the mo', so that'll be my favourite beer (I hope...   :ermm:) in a couple of weeks time.

It's nice, early sweet notes(****in listen to me😅) ending more bitter than expected. 

I prefer the Black Sheep Milk Stout.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Auld Reekin'
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

2908178fcf2684f7617346d19e97a8fb.jpg

 

 

 

Oooft, love Black Sheep Ale - not tried that one, but again will look out for it.

 

(Let's face it - ye cannae beat beer!)

Edited by Auld Reekin'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dawnrazor
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

 

Oooft, love Black Sheep Ale - not tried that one, but again will look out for it.

It's lovely, stays sweeter longer and less bitter than some, richer and "blacker" too, more like Guiness to look at but with a more coloured head., A good 8/10.

 

*edit*

 

8.5/10, nearly as good as Marthas Chocolate Milk Stout.

Edited by Dawnrazor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

thumb__640_500_0_0_crop.png

 

Lovley drop this, got a couole of others to try tonight, can recommend this one though.

 

Never seen that one, nor the Black Sheep Milk Stout, but have had the Rudgate Stout though.

 

Taylor's Landlord is alright, but I prefer their Boltmaker more.

 

My new beer for tonight is Bolten's Altbier, quite nice, pleasant delicate flavour.

image.thumb.jpeg.2e00540491ddd3d0d97fbc80c2803149.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
heartsfc_fan

Tonight we have

 

 

images.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dawnrazor
6 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Tonight we have

 

 

images.jpg

It's good that, we've a place near us that has it on draught .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
heartsfc_fan
13 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

It's good that, we've a place near us that has it on draught .

It's alright. I didn't want anything too strong this evening (my turn to be up with the kids in the morning 🤣 )

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dagger Is Back
On 21/06/2020 at 20:47, Jambo314 said:

I've tried loads of different beers but always end up back to ma auld faithful  😂😂

 

Mcewan's Champion Ale 500ml

 

Tried one of these last night after seeing your post. All I can say is thank you!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tazio
3 hours ago, Auld Reekin' said:

 

Not a fan of the usual Landlord as it's too hoppy for my 'buds. Might try this one though if I ever see it on draught or in bottles. Is it a bit maltier or less bitter?

I enjoy Landlord but if you haven’t drank it for a while the first couple of mouthfuls are always a bit of a struggle until you adjust. After that it’s all systems go though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Auld Reekin'
56 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I enjoy Landlord but if you haven’t drank it for a while the first couple of mouthfuls are always a bit of a struggle until you adjust. After that it’s all systems go though. 

 

Yep, that could be it. I don't think I've ever actually drunk a pint of the stuff: now and again I'll ask for a taste of it if it's the only cask-ale on tap wherever I am and keep on reaffirming I don't like it! I'd maybe develop a taste for it if I had nothing else in the house and was gasping on a beer, but that's probably unlikely to occur...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambo-Jimbo

Isaac Poad - Piccadilly Porter (4.8%), Cattal, York.

A wonderful porter, fabulous long lasting head, chocolate nose, and lovely chocolate & coffee flavours.

I discovered this late last year and have bought it a few times since, I really like this beer.

 

image.thumb.jpeg.1fb831bc34e7167297ab00331804a5d0.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Auld Reekin'
Posted (edited)

Drinking this just now:

 

500ml_dark_island@2x.png?itok=TEFm-D6x

 

Very nice too.

 

A beer from Orkney's other main brewery that I hadn't tried before visiting there last year was this:

 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTzEbu7d92XR0pVoRoLgZT

 

A really tasty and interesting, bottle-conditioned, beer with a distinctive - unique, even - taste. Made from Bere, an ancient variety of barley which is one of the few cereal crops that grows well on Orkney. 

 

Edited by Auld Reekin'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dawnrazor
23 hours ago, Auld Reekin' said:

 

 

(Let's face it - ye cannae beat beer!)

😆Aye, I've got a right taste for it again just now (much to my diets anger).

Been on the Gin and Red Wine for the last wee while, but our locl supermarket has a truly outstanding range and varieties of Beers, it's hard to resist, I went in last night for 1 bottle of Hoegarden and came out with 6 bottles of Stouts and Beers! I did get the wife and boy a Cider aswell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dawnrazor

 

I'm really enjoying this just now, had a few bottles of it recently.headspace-picker.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fbjambo

I’m a lager girl - hate wine - not that fussed for spirits (will drink cocktails). Either of these or an nice Tennants for me (sorry)
 

 

BDA97D5B-EC38-4B8C-AD05-E003666DB6B4.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tott
8 minutes ago, fbjambo said:

I’m a lager girl - hate wine - not that fussed for spirits (will drink cocktails). Either of these or an nice Tennants for me (sorry)
 

 

BDA97D5B-EC38-4B8C-AD05-E003666DB6B4.jpeg

Fruit lager doesnt sound nice tbh .

But West 4 and St Mungo is a pretty damm good beer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sharky999

2 of the best Imperial Stouts Ive ever tried.E30446BD-B5E0-44C9-A104-FA9EFBD480F5.thumb.jpeg.5e7dd6f370d2b40c603ba05d33704705.jpeg5C884CC1-D5FD-4994-BE7B-87F0024199D0.thumb.jpeg.16eec1f368abd4e9ff79d6d2477d3880.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambo-Jimbo

Elgood's Blackberry Porter (4.5%), Wisbech, Cambridgeshire.

Pronounced Blackberry nose & taste, don't know why they have called it a porter as it's just a blackberry flavoured beer, imo.

image.thumb.jpeg.e37a3204ed179fa6835259271952dd18.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
milky_26
20 hours ago, Tott said:

Fruit lager doesnt sound nice tbh .

But West 4 and St Mungo is a pretty damm good beer.

west do some good stuff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambo-Jimbo

Something a bit lighter tonight for my first beer.

1297 IPA (5.6%) - Harviestoun Brewery, Alva.

Nice hoppy beer, this one.

image.jpeg.a39b4bd77b9dcd5d91132caa0ef0406a.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
heartsfc_fan
1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Something a bit lighter tonight for my first beer.

1297 IPA (5.6%) - Harviestoun Brewery, Alva.

Nice hoppy beer, this one.

image.jpeg.a39b4bd77b9dcd5d91132caa0ef0406a.jpeg

Some decent beers from that brewery

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
heartsfc_fan

Not too far along the road from Alva, I'm drinking this from Alloa.

I do like this stuff. Hoppy IPA.

 

 

images.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambo-Jimbo
2 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Not too far along the road from Alva, I'm drinking this from Alloa.

I do like this stuff. Hoppy IPA.

 

 

images.jpg

 

Have you ever tried the Double Joker, lovely stuff, deadly at 8.3%, but lovely all the same.

 

Agreed, some really nice beers from Harviestoun Brewery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
heartsfc_fan
2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

 

Have you ever tried the Double Joker, lovely stuff, deadly at 8.3%, but lovely all the same.

 

Agreed, some really nice beers from Harviestoun Brewery.

I have tried the double joker 👍 really difficult to find it in the usual supermarkets though. And yes, it's strong 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambo-Jimbo
18 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

I have tried the double joker 👍 really difficult to find it in the usual supermarkets though. And yes, it's strong 🤣

 

IIRC I got it in Sainsbury's at Straiton, never seen it anywhere else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambo-Jimbo

Goat's Leap IPA (5.5%) - Cheddar Ales, Cheddar.

Very pleasant beer, hoppy with a bit of bitterness, could see me drinking 2 or 3 pints of this in a pub, nice.

 

image.thumb.jpeg.860a2be737cf2f69991d65cff5b4f9dd.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
muldoon74

A few on here have lauded Mahou on occasion. 

 

Never had it personally but Asda doing 12 330ml bottles for £10.10.  

 

Thought some might like to know. 

 

Pick one up tomorrow to give it a bash. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambo-Jimbo

Nightcrawler Milk Stout (4.5%) - O'Brother Brewing, Wicklow, Ireland.

Quite mild taste, but pleasant enough.

 

image.thumb.jpeg.7d2966365d6337b43e0f5e1801ed91de.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
the general

Stewarts   Che Guava radical lager was nice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stuart Lyon

Tried this last night - smooth not too thick in consistency!

Barney's.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambo-Jimbo

Blast from the past.

 

Bishops Finger (5.4%) - Shepherd Neame, Faversham, Kent.

A while since I've had this, still nice, I still like it.

image.thumb.jpeg.7693517c6fbf16eba9986517eebc60a8.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...