• Dawnrazor

• heartsfc_fan

heartsfc_fan
3 hours ago, One five said:

Recently discovered this .its the business 😉

9A00FF3D-35E4-46EB-BB9A-18B4C49AC966.jpeg

Just had a bottle 👍

Jambo-Jimbo

This is nice, very very nice in fact, strong, sweet & malty.

Gordon Scotch Ale (8%) - Anthony Martin, Genval, Belgium.

Orginally brewed in Edinburgh and sent over to Belgium for Scottish troops during WWI, the Belgians developed a taste for it, and began brewing it for themselves, this particular bottle is brewed in Benelux but doesn't say where exactly.

image.jpeg.8cc7d09745144508796c7ba9a8f41dff.jpeg

Jambo-Jimbo
3 hours ago, One five said:

If you like this, then you'll probably like Old Jock, which imo is far better than the Champion.

Just now, Jambo-Jimbo said:

If you like this, then you'll probably like Old Jock, which imo is far better than the Champion.

I’ve drunk them on many a night ,  I must admit old jock is superb 👍

2 minutes ago, One five said:

I’ve drunk them on many a night ,  I must admit old jock is superb 👍

Campion and Headspace are my favourites just now but I've not been able to find Old Jock down here yet.

10 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

This is nice, very very nice in fact, strong, sweet & malty.

Gordon Scotch Ale (8%) - Anthony Martin, Genval, Belgium.

Orginally brewed in Edinburgh and sent over to Belgium for Scottish troops during WWI, the Belgians developed a taste for it, and began brewing it for themselves, this particular bottle is brewed in Benelux but doesn't say where exactly.

image.jpeg.8cc7d09745144508796c7ba9a8f41dff.jpeg

Going to give this a try 👍 what shops do you get them in?

2 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Campion and Headspace are my favourites just now but I've not been able to find Old Jock down here yet.

When visiting my family in London it’s old jock I take down and they love it ! I’m always saying Scottish ales are the best 👍

1 minute ago, One five said:

I’m always saying Scottish ales are the best 👍

It sticks in my craw to say but there's some really beautiful English beers, my old mantra of "Scottish beer goes in and English beer comes out" really has changed!

It sticks in my craw to say but there's some really beautiful English beers, my old mantra of "Scottish beer goes in and English beer comes out" really has changed!

To be honest I’ve not tried a lot of English beer not so keen on pale ales though prefer the dark ales, I’m going down to London in the next couple of weeks so would appreciate any suggestions you have 👍

3 minutes ago, One five said:

To be honest I’ve not tried a lot of English beer not so keen on pale ales though prefer the dark ales, I’m going down to London in the next couple of weeks so would appreciate any suggestions you have 👍

Not acquainted with the Southers ales, some I've tried have been too "Hoppy" for me but the ones around me in the North West, Cumbria and Yorkshire are really nice.

Kirkby Lonsdale Brewery. 

Black Sheep.

Naylors.

Timothy Taylor.

Lancaster Brewery. 

Robinsons.

Bowland Brewery.

Farmyard Ales.

7 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Not acquainted with the Southers ales, some I've tried have been too "Hoppy" for me but the ones around me in the North West, Cumbria and Yorkshire are really nice.

Kirkby Lonsdale Brewery. 

Black Sheep.

Naylors.

Timothy Taylor.

Lancaster Brewery. 

Robinsons.

Bowland Brewery.

Farmyard Ales.

Cool mate I’ll check if I can get a hold of any of them when I’m down there.  I’m going to the Lake District hopefully in September maybe get them there cheers 👍

Jambo-Jimbo
29 minutes ago, One five said:

Going to give this a try 👍 what shops do you get them in?

Online for the more unusual ones, which are normally few and far between in shops.

Beers of Europe and or Beerwulf

23 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Good beer is good beer, no matter where it's from, that's my mantra.

1 minute ago, One five said:

Cool mate I’ll check if I can get a hold of any of them when I’m down there.  I’m going to the Lake District hopefully in September maybe get them there cheers 👍

If you're near Ulverston or Kirkby Lonsdale when you're at the Lakes, have a look in Booths, a supermarket with great local produce and a fantastic selection of beers, you could stock up there for going home.

1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Good beer is good beer, no matter where it's from, that's my mantra.

Correct👍 I've grown up a bit since I moved down here.......not much, but a wee bit!

If you're near Ulverston or Kirkby Lonsdale when you're at the Lakes, have a look in Booths, a supermarket with great local produce and a fantastic selection of beers, you could stock up there for going home.

Sounds like a plan👍

Jambo-Jimbo
2 minutes ago, One five said:

Tebay services has several beers in the farm shop, just last week I got (there were more but I got these 3):

Hawkshead Brewery - Lakeland Gold

Cumbrian Ales - Loweswater Gold

Cumbrian Ales - Langdale (which I had earlier this evening)

They are all golden ales, but with nice hoppy flavours, served chilled where alright.

9 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

i think there is a booths in keswick. Also for decent breweries from the north west. Jennings in cockermouth do some nice ales

5 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Tebay services has several beers in the farm shop, just last week I got (there were more but I got these 3):

They are all golden ales, but with nice hoppy flavours, served chilled where alright.

loweswater gold is a nice beer, easy to drink it all night. well until you hit the bloated stage

Jambo-Jimbo
24 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Kirkby Lonsdale Brewery. 

Black Sheep.

Naylors.

Timothy Taylor.

Lancaster Brewery. 

Robinsons.

Bowland Brewery.

Farmyard Ales.

Got a bottle of Boltmaker, Old Tom & Ginger Tom sitting waiting to be drunk.

Got a bottle of Boltmaker, Old Tom & Ginger Tom sitting waiting to be drunk.

Old Tom is one of my very favourites, strong mind!!!

Jambo-Jimbo
1 minute ago, milky_26 said:

loweswater gold is a nice beer, easy to drink it all night. well until you hit the bloated stage

Really pale gold colour, but it was nice and I agree I could see me sitting in a beer garden in the lakes drinking a few pints of this on draught.

Jambo-Jimbo
1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

Old Tom is one of my very favourites, strong mind!!!

Pretty much the same as I'm drinking the now (8%), also washing it down with liberal amounts of Flor de Cana Rum.

11 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

We always stop there on our down the M6 at west moorland for a coffee and a bite to eat , I’ll be checking  out the beers now lol

8 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Pretty much the same as I'm drinking the now (8%), also washing it down with liberal amounts of Flor de Cana Rum.

I hope to hell you like Old and Ginger Tom after me bigging them up😆

Edited by Dawnrazor

Jambo-Jimbo
3 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I hope to hell you lile Old and Ginger Tom after me bigging them up😆

Had the Old Tom before, so you're ok there, Ginger Tom though :laugh:

3 minutes ago, One five said:

We always stop there on our down the M6 at west moorland for a coffee and a bite to eat , I’ll be checking  out the beers now lol

We were North Bound, not sure if it'll make a difference, have tbh I'd never really paid any attention to getting beer before, in saying that not on the M6 very often, last week was the first time in two years.

Dagger Is Back
5 hours ago, One five said:

1 hour ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Just had a bottle 👍

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Was just about to post about Auld Jock. Both recommendations came through this thread

Both very nice ales

13 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

We were North Bound, not sure if it'll make a difference, have tbh I'd never really paid any attention to getting beer before, in saying that not on the M6 very often, last week was the first time in two years.

Should have said we go there on the way home as well 👍

Auld Reekin'
1 hour ago, One five said:

London Pride is an excellent, traditional, London beer; Young's Special is decent too. Neither are particularly hoppy or bitter.

Not a London brewery, but Greene King beers are quite common down there and are also good: the IPA is actually darkish in colour and maltier than any other IPA I've tasted and Abbot Ale is also mid-coloured and malty.

Edited by Auld Reekin'

6 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

London Pride is an excellent, traditional, London beer; Young's Special is decent too. Neither are particularly hoppy or bitter.

Not a London brewery, but Greene King beers are quite common down there and are also good: the IPA is actually darkish in colour and maltier than any other IPA I've tasted and Abbot Ale is also mid-coloured and malty.

Yeah it’s London pride I normally drink down there it’s the only one so far I don’t get fed up with after a bit ,the other beers you mentioned I don’t think I’ve tried but  I’ve tasted some awful stuff tbh some go flat after 2 minutes lol

Auld Reekin'
51 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Having a nice Fraoch, this is one of my all time favourites.

image.thumb.jpeg.81ee1740685a1d4b363abf41f4bc195d.jpeg

Not had one for years, but - yep - it's a nice pint, with a distinctive character and taste.

Jambo-Jimbo
1 minute ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Not had one for years, but - yep - it's a nice pint, with a distinctive character and taste.

Nothing else like it, although I did have a Northern Irish Heather IPA from the Clough More Brewery in Kilbroney Forest, bloody good stuff as well.

It's the heather which makes the difference, just gives it that unique taste.

Tastes even better. 👍

Ha I bet ya , making me jealous I’ve know ales left in the house going for some tomorrow after work and try a few different ones that’s been posted here 👍

Worthing Jambo
21 hours ago, One five said:

Yeah it’s London pride I normally drink down there it’s the only one so far I don’t get fed up with after a bit ,the other beers you mentioned I don’t think I’ve tried but  I’ve tasted some awful stuff tbh some go flat after 2 minutes lol

You can’t go wrong with London Pride.

Any Best Bitter is the one to go for if you fancy something else.

I’m like you, prefer the amber ales rather than IPAs, although some are alright.

My favourite is the local Harvey’s Best Bitter but it isn’t very strong.

Does anyone know if Fowler’s Wee Heavy is still on the go?

6 minutes ago, Worthing Jambo said:

You can’t go wrong with London Pride.

Any Best Bitter is the one to go for if you fancy something else.

I’m like you, prefer the amber ales rather than IPAs, although some are alright.

My favourite is the local Harvey’s Best Bitter but it isn’t very strong.

Does anyone know if Fowler’s Wee Heavy is still on the go?

This is on there website ...

The 45 Wee Heavy 7.5% ABV 
Extremely malty, rich and fruity with low bitterness.

This ale is brewed from time to  time but presently is not a regular.

Jambo-Jimbo

Following a recommendation from Mr. Dawnrazor I've had this beer tonight.

image.jpeg.1e8590415da38e76a51bb5a2c76ed9fb.jpeg

Relax pal, it's alright, once you get over the initial ginger taste it grows on you, it did me and by the end I was wishing I had another bottle, but alas I only had the one.

Back to an old favourite for my last beer for tonight.

image.jpeg.b8b6cbaa7805d470044bc031ebd8c61e.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Following a recommendation from Mr. Dawnrazor I've had this beer tonight.

image.jpeg.1e8590415da38e76a51bb5a2c76ed9fb.jpeg

Relax pal, it's alright, once you get over the initial ginger taste it grows on you, it did me and by the end I was wishing I had another bottle, but alas I only had the one.

Aye, it definitely does what it says on the tin😅

in the middle of a bottle of saltaire blonde. decent for the price (4 for £6) in morrisons

snapshotimagehandler_1540496989.jpeg?h=5

Edited by milky_26

Worthing Jambo
12 minutes ago, One five said:

This is on there website ...

The 45 Wee Heavy 7.5% ABV 
Extremely malty, rich and fruity with low bitterness.

This ale is brewed from time to  time but presently is not a regular.

Cheers👍
Brilliant that Google thingy when you know what you are looking for😁

Jambo-Jimbo
5 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

in the middle of a bottle of saltaire blonde. decent for the price (4 for £6) in morrisons

snapshotimagehandler_1540496989.jpeg?h=5

Beers of Europe have a decent range of their beers, I got their newsletter today and Saltaire Brewery was one of their featured brewers.

I've only had 3 of their beers, so might see if I can get more, next time I order from B of E.