Favourite Beer

jimmyjambo

Stuart Lyon

A black & tan was a half pint or more of heavy with a sweet stout added

A happy day was an excellent drink - a half pint or more of heavy with a wee heavy to top it up!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• jimmyjambo

• Dawnrazor

• heartsfc_fan

Jambo-Jimbo
2 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

A black & tan was a half pint or more of heavy with a sweet stout added

A happy day was an excellent drink - a half pint or more of heavy with a wee heavy to top it up!

I remember it as a half pint Pale Ale & half pint Guinness.

A black and tan had various guises depending on where you went, to me, the best was a half of 70 in a pint glass and a bottle of sweetheart stout to top it up.

Stuart Lyon
1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I remember it as a half pint Pale Ale & half pint Guinness.

Suggest that might have been due to the unavailability of sweet stout! 

The Real Maroonblood
11 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Suggest that might have been due to the unavailability of sweet stout! 

Another thread was asking if Jim Cruickshank had a pub.

Stuart wondering if you could help?

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Another thread was asking if Jim Cruickshank had a pub.

Stuart wondering if you could help?

Believe he once aowned a pub in Rose Street unfortunately can't remember the name.

Edited by Jambo314

Stuart Lyon

Scotts formerly Ma Scotts I think.

Google is your friend   

Edited by Stuart Lyon

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Jambo314 said:

Believe he once aowned a pub in Rose Street unfortunately can't remember the name.

49 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Scotts formerly Ma Scotts I think.

Google is your friend   

Thanks guys.

Much appreciated.

Another cracking beer from Vocation, chocolate and banana stout aged in rum barrels for 6 months, a rich chocolate stout with a slight taste of banana,  lovely, only the one of these though at 12%abv 

69C139F2-319E-4ADF-9B58-416632C891C2.jpeg

4 minutes ago, jimmyjambo said:

Another cracking beer from Vocation, chocolate and banana stout aged in rum barrels for 6 months, a rich chocolate stout with a slight taste of banana,  lovely, only the one of these though at 12%abv 

69C139F2-319E-4ADF-9B58-416632C891C2.jpeg

I've never had a banana stout, a banana ale once, had a chocolate and orange stout last night and it was a 7/10, a wee bit bit more orange and it would've been an 8.

I'll keep an eye out for this.

Bought Adnams Ghost Ship online. On my second one when I realised I'd bought the low alcohol version. 14 still to drink.

12 minutes ago, Rab Mac52 said:

Bought Adnams Ghost Ship online. On my second one when I realised I'd bought the low alcohol version. 14 still to drink.

😅

All these real ale and microbrewery stuff look lovely.. Will need to save up for them though.. 

Meanwhile I've reverted to quantity and am very much enjoying a some, standard pissy stuff these days.. Got a taste for corona and sol since lockdown (never touched it before).. Also revisiting heineken, Stella and loving a couple bottles of magners after work. 

Stepdaughter got me a Flavourlymixed case for xmas 2 years ago. Some very nice ipa and stouts in there, may well order another at some point. 

Meanwhile local co-op, asda, Morrisons do loads of piss, for much cheapness.. 

hmfc_liam06

Should have been in Turkey so nipped to Home Bargains and picked up 8 Efes over the weekend.

89p a bottle. You can't not buy it :lol:

3 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Had one of these for the first time last night - excellent! Can taste the whisky in the brew.

TSB.jpeg

Where would one find that?

Stuart Lyon

It is made for export but I believe it can be bought in the shop at the Tennent's Museum in Glasgow! I got it from my son who works at Tennent's brewery.

If you don't live in the west take a day out and do the tour and visit the shop.

Edited by Stuart Lyon

Jambo-Jimbo
35 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

Where would one find that?

Seen that once in a shop in Venice, it was a gift pack of two with a glass, was quite expensive, but can't recall how much, however it must have been enough for me to not buy it.

Stuart Lyon
Just now, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Seen that once in a shop in Venice, it was a gift pack of two with a glass, was quite expensive, but can't recall how much, however it must have been enough for me to not buy it.

My 10 bottles were free!

Stuart Lyon

Here's another good one - not sure if this is also for export only    9% ABV  very tasty beer. Again I think you can buy it from the brewery shop.

Scotch Ale.png

Currently enjoying a bottle of Old Jock all these fancy craft beers ( i do like them myself ) cant hold a candle to the old Scottish Ales.

On 21/06/2020 at 20:47, Jambo314 said:

I've tried loads of different beers but always end up back to ma auld faithful  😂😂

Mcewan's Champion Ale 500ml

I really like it but tend to only have one.It feels like you have ate your dinner after one.

1 minute ago, vegas-voss said:

I really like it but tend to only have one.It feels like you have ate your dinner after one.

😂 I usually have two, three at most, find it a good way to get off to sleep when head hits the pillow☺️

16 minutes ago, Jambo314 said:

😂 I usually have two, three at most, find it a good way to get off to sleep when head hits the pillow☺️

I used to have it after a night shift i can confirm it makes you very sleepy

heartsfc_fan
4 hours ago, vegas-voss said:

Currently enjoying a bottle of Old Jock all these fancy craft beers ( i do like them myself ) cant hold a candle to the old Scottish Ales.

Decent stuff that 👍

Jambo-Jimbo
18 hours ago, vegas-voss said:

Old Jock has taken over from McEwans Champion as my go to beer now, just so much more flavour than the Champion has.

Was talking to my B-in-L who also likes a brew or two, and he was moaning about the rise in fruit flavoured beers, such as Mango, Pineapple blah blah blah, we both agreed that hopefully it is just a fad like it was back in the mid-late 90's.

Got Beers of Europe vouchers from my girls for Father's Day, ordered 24 bottles, 22 are Stouts, Porters, Brown Ales or Altbier, the other 2 are Pale Ales, should get it delivered tomorrow, hopefully.

2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Old Jock has taken over from McEwans Champion as my go to beer now, just so much more flavour than the Champion has.

Was talking to my B-in-L who also likes a brew or two, and he was moaning about the rise in fruit flavoured beers, such as Mango, Pineapple blah blah blah, we both agreed that hopefully it is just a fad like it was back in the mid-late 90's.

Got Beers of Europe vouchers from my girls for Father's Day, ordered 24 bottles, 22 are Stouts, Porters, Brown Ales or Altbier, the other 2 are Pale Ales, should get it delivered tomorrow, hopefully.

Now we are talking that sounds like a great selection.Im trying to be good and get in shape so limit myself to 3 a week just now only had a couple last night cause the wife needed a beer to cook the onions down with.So Old Jock also good for cooking onions for hot dogs 😂

Montgomery Brewster

Was just in Tesco and couldn’t believe they now stock Newccy Broon in cans 

along with red death - 2 proper beers guaranteed to blow your heed off 

Montgomery Brewster
On 20/06/2020 at 23:39, indianajones said:

Back on McEwans Export. 

Excellent stuff. 

I concur

On 18/06/2020 at 21:16, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Yip, I'd tend to agree, they are either a hit or a miss.

One of the best Brewdog's I've had was this one, although I doubt you'll find it in the shops.

image.thumb.jpeg.a3903ae0882259bfb03bde42c399ac40.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.778b0a395621f1944738803a7274f4f2.jpeg

They were selling stock online , but think it’s gone now. It’s best beer on an airline for sure...

Governor Tarkin

Back on McEwans Export. 

Excellent stuff. 

Fantastic in bottled form. 👍

18 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Agreed.

Not a session beer for me, though.

Unknown user

Back on McEwans Export. 

Excellent stuff. 

When we moved to Alkmaar we found that the offy over the road had a speciality import section which included Export and Newcy Broon - superb!

Jambo-Jimbo
9 minutes ago, Tott said:

https://www.sadlersales.co.uk/collections/special-offers

Anybody tried sadlers?

Some good online offers just now,but never tried it.

Got my eye on the pale ales.

I've tried several of their beers (12 in total), a wee bit better than average imo, one or two beers did stick out.

Mud City Stout, Peaky Blinder, Red IPA, Boris Citrov & Mellow Yellow, were imo the best ones I've tried from Sadlers, the rest average.

8 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I've tried several of their beers (12 in total), a wee bit better than average imo, one or two beers did stick out.

Mud City Stout, Peaky Blinder, Red IPA, Boris Citrov & Mellow Yellow, were imo the best ones I've tried from Sadlers, the rest average.

Cheers, Mud Stout and peaky blinders are included in the offer, so may give it a go.

Jambo-Jimbo

First up tonight was a proper Bud, not that American stuff, but the real Czech Bud.

My reward for cutting the grass, ice cold went down a treat.

image.thumb.jpeg.12acae16b66ef8d609a5f6e0aedaff28.jpeg

Jambo-Jimbo

Next up was a Diebels Altbier (4.9%), which is a cross between a Lager & a German dark beer.

Served cool, tbh not much taste, a slight roasted aftertaste was about it, not bad but nothing to write home about either.

image.thumb.jpeg.7beb7dae3a7f75e306445c55000f4a0a.jpeg

Jambo-Jimbo
5 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

having a couple of these tonight

fyne-ales-jarl.jpg

Nice, been a few years since I had this, will need to try again, enjoy.

Jambo-Jimbo

Last beer for tonight is a Belgian Stout.

Monk's Stout (5.2%), Dupont Brewery, Tourpes.

Quite mild tasting, nothing to write home about.

image.thumb.jpeg.bd0d8867c7f18400e5df707a0ff051fe.jpeg

Dark Island tonight for myself quite nice.Only had one Old Jock in the shop when the wife went for me so will save that for tomorrow.