Favourite Beer

jimmyjambo

Auld Reekin'
3 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

A good old style beer will be around a lot longer than most of these arty farty pish that's all the rage just now.

Probably best to leave the "Bishop's Finger" gags tbh.

👍   ( :oohmatron: )

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• jimmyjambo

• Dawnrazor

• heartsfc_fan

Auld Reekin'
6 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

A good old style beer will be around a lot longer than most of these arty farty pish that's all the rage just now.

Probably best to leave the "Bishop's Finger" gags tbh.

Shepherd Neame do a very nice London Porter too, from what I remember.

Jambo-Jimbo
2 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Shepherd Neame do a very nice London Porter too, from what I remember.

They brew several good beers.

The Gorgie

With Belhaven Best not available just now I've found myself drinking shit like Bud light. God awful stuff. Please start production again Belhaven, pretty please.

Jambo-Jimbo
28 minutes ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

With Belhaven Best not available just now I've found myself drinking shit like Bud light. God awful stuff. Please start production again Belhaven, pretty please.

That and Michelob lite are awful stuff.  Pure pish.

Just now, Jambo-Jimbo said:

That and Michelob lite are awful stuff.  Pure pish.

I can't drink stuff like Bud and Stella, shite.

Jambo-Jimbo
2 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I can't drink stuff like Bud and Stella, shite.

Proper Budweiser the Czech stuff is good, that American stuff however...............meh................pish.

jimmyjambo
30 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Guinness Foreign Extra Stout (7.5%) - Guinness Nigeria, Ikeja, Nigeria

Intense strong Guinness.

image.thumb.jpeg.572b6e1e42fdf3ea6e5510756de3283f.jpeg

Never seen that before Jim,  wouldn’t mind trying that, where did you get it from?

heartsfc_fan

Needless to say I can't drink lager all night so finally got out the proper stuff. Many in this thread including myself have mentioned this stuff but I will again...

Old Jock 6.7% (Broughton Brewery)

images(2).jpg

• Moderators
On 30/06/2020 at 20:59, heartsfc_fan said:

Not too far along the road from Alva, I'm drinking this from Alloa.

I do like this stuff. Hoppy IPA.

images.jpg

Williams' Fraoch is very good so I'm told. 

Stuart Lyon

Sainsbury's sell Shepherd Neame's London Porter under their Taste the Difference label. It tells you in the small print it is from SNeame. Lovely beer. £1.85 a bottle.

Guinness Foreign Extra £1.85 for 330ml in Sainsbury's too also a very nice beer.

Jambo-Jimbo
10 hours ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Needless to say I can't drink lager all night so finally got out the proper stuff. Many in this thread including myself have mentioned this stuff but I will again...

Old Jock 6.7% (Broughton Brewery)

images(2).jpg

👍 Excellent stuff.

Their Wee Jock is damn good as well.

9 hours ago, JKBMod 12 said:

Williams' Fraoch is very good so I'm told. 

It is indeed, I first tried it back in the 90's when they were still Heather Ale Ltd.

I've got some stuff they sent me, labels, stickers all that kind of stuff, will be collectors items now as they are all Heather Ale Ltd, before they became Williams Brothers.  Need to try and look it all out.

3 minutes ago, weehammy said:

Norseman lager 🤮

Those were the days!

Charger or Scottish Pride Lager was the cheap drink of choice for underagers in my day.

Jambo-Jimbo
2 hours ago, theAlvasection said:

Brains SA lovely stuff

Draught & bottle are quite good tbh.

Jack Black stout was really nice as was the Rev. James & Barry Island IPA.

Brains do some beers for Aldi's.

Got a Sub compact beer machine for my birthday today with a few of the torps to go with it. Anyone on here got one and are they any good?

Jambo-Jimbo
48 minutes ago, buzz said:

Got a Sub compact beer machine for my birthday today with a few of the torps to go with it. Anyone on here got one and are they any good?

I'm pretty sure if you go back several pages, subs were discussed on here by a few folks you have one, might be useful info for you there.

I know Beerwulf stock quite a few of the torps.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

10 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I'm pretty sure if you go back several pages, subs were discussed on here by a few folks you have one, might be useful info for you there.

I know Beerwulf stock quite a few of the torps.

Thanks, I’ll have a look back for that. I think Beerwulf are the only place to get the  torps and a lot of them seem to be out of stock at the moment.

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, buzz said:

Thanks, I’ll have a look back for that. I think Beerwulf are the only place to get the  torps and a lot of them seem to be out of stock at the moment.

I think a lot of the online beer shops have limited stock right now, things should get better now that the pubs are open again.

theAlvasection
21 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Draught & bottle are quite good tbh.

Jack Black stout was really nice as was the Rev. James & Barry Island IPA.

Brains do some beers for Aldi's.

Good to know

Jambo-Jimbo

Black Charge Stout (5%) - Dynamite Valley Brewing Co, Ponsanooth, Cornwall

Bitter coffee & chocolate taste, it's alright but I couldn't drink two of them.

image.thumb.jpeg.9c769acb8765d55f769082b0ecad6026.jpeg

Had a couple of these tonight, I know it's gimmicky but decent enough and 6%.

All profit goes to producing medical grade hand sanitiser too.

IMG_20200705_231725132_50.jpg

On 03/07/2020 at 21:15, jimmyjambo said:

Never seen that before Jim,  wouldn’t mind trying that, where did you get it from?

You can get it in asda. 660ml bottle £3 or so. 

Also might like to try the Guinness west indies porter.. Very nice aswell... 

jimmyjambo
6 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

cheers Muldoon 👍

Jambo-Jimbo
7 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

44 minutes ago, jimmyjambo said:

cheers Muldoon 👍

The Guinness Foreign Extra Stout in Asda and other shops is brewed in Dublin, the one I had was brewed in Nigeria and is slightly different in taste to the original Irish version.

Guinness send the wort over to Nigeria and several other places in Africa & Asia and then local ingredients are then added to make each one unique to that country, so I've read.

Jambo-Jimbo

Not had this in many years, so it was time to try it again.

Old Style Porter (5.1%) - St. Peters Brewery, Bungay, Suffolk

Not a strong flavour, but pleasant enough, it's alright this, could drink more than one.

image.thumb.jpeg.ab319f5dca27ef73b2beacb712cc1b73.jpeg

Jambo-Jimbo
Just now, Stuart Lyon said:

Tried Old Jock last night for the first time. Lovely stuff.

Indeed it is, it's replaced McEwan's Champion as my go to staple beer. 👍

Selkirk_Jambo

Any pubs that do Broughton stuff on tap? Only time I ever saw any of them from tap was in the Heatherlie Hotel in Selkirk. They would a rotation with the likes of Merlin, Auld Jock, Greenmantle and First Foot all making appearances. Absolutely lovely stuff. 

Jambo-Jimbo
2 hours ago, Selkirk_Jambo said:

Any pubs that do Broughton stuff on tap? Only time I ever saw any of them from tap was in the Heatherlie Hotel in Selkirk. They would a rotation with the likes of Merlin, Auld Jock, Greenmantle and First Foot all making appearances. Absolutely lovely stuff. 

Can't think of any, off hand tbh.

Greenmantle, gone I'm afraid, been a few years since I've seen it, pity as I did like the Greenmantle.

3 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Can't think of any, off hand tbh.

Greenmantle, gone I'm afraid, been a few years since I've seen it, pity as I did like the Greenmantle.

The used to serve Greenmantle in The Crook at Tweedsmuir, both the brewery and the pub have been closed for a good while now sadly. 

Jambo-Jimbo
1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

The used to serve Greenmantle in The Crook at Tweedsmuir, both the brewery and the pub have been closed for a good while now sadly. 

The Crook Inn, now that's a blast from the past, used to love that place, had many a bar meal there, was also at a wedding reception there as well, big marque out the back.  Been closed a long time now.

7 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The Crook Inn, now that's a blast from the past, used to love that place, had many a bar meal there, was also at a wedding reception there as well, big marque out the back.  Been closed a long time now.

It was a great pub, a couple of mates of mine lived up that way, one at Drumerlzier and the other at Stanhope, we spent far too much time in The Crook!!!

Jambo-Jimbo
18 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

It was a great pub, a couple of mates of mine lived up that way, one at Drumerlzier and the other at Stanhope, we spent far too much time in The Crook!!!

Stayed in a caravan in Drumelzier for a week back in '66, down to the right of the Kirk, next to the water, my old Granddad said he had family who came from around there, and he was right, one of his Granddad's was born in West Linton in the 1830's.

Mrs JJ has direct ancestors buried in Drumelzier Church Yard, their headstone is still there, which is good going as it's at least 173 years old now.

On 04/07/2020 at 18:40, theAlvasection said:

Brains SA lovely stuff

I used to work with some Cardiff boys who called it Brains Skull Attack.  I had some very bad nights on the stuff. 

image.jpeg.8d177cad6f1839b608d98b046b9095cb.jpegI had a couple of these last night : when you open the bottle and smell it , it def lives up to it's name. Quite a pleasant , if sweet, drink. 

Auld Reekin'
5 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Stayed in a caravan in Drumelzier for a week back in '66, down to the right of the Kirk, next to the water, my old Granddad said he had family who came from around there, and he was right, one of his Granddad's was born in West Linton in the 1830's.

Mrs JJ has direct ancestors buried in Drumelzier Church Yard, their headstone is still there, which is good going as it's at least 173 years old now.

According to legend, Drumelzier is where Merlin was killed (a "triple death": beaten and stoned, impaled upon a stake, then drowned - nothing if not thorough these Dark Age Borderers! :mw_rolleyes: ) and buried.

Does Mrs. JJ have any fey and uncanny abilities or otherwordly powers?   :whistling:

Jambo-Jimbo
5 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

According to legend, Drumelzier is where Merlin was killed (a "triple death": beaten and stoned, impaled upon a stake, then drowned - nothing if not thorough these Dark Age Borderers! :mw_rolleyes: ) and buried.

Does Mrs. JJ have any fey and uncanny abilities or otherwordly powers?   :whistling:

Yeh, I'm aware of that legend and no Mrs JJ unfortunately doesn't have any 'powers', a triple Euromillions rollover would have been nice, but alas.

Jambo-Jimbo

Grand Imperial Porter (8%) - Browar Amber, Bielkowko, Poland

Wow wow wow wow, absolutely stunning Baltic Porter, it's not like a modern UK porter, this has a taste of intense fruit, raisins, more akin to a Belgian Abbey or strong old time British ale, bags of flavour, I'll be absolutely getting this again, yum yum yum.

image.thumb.jpeg.5a1250a305a08cbd59538a0cccb4a184.jpeg

Just supping a few of these, pretty decent and only 6.8% so can have a few :lol: 

Basqueland Imparable - RAD Beer

Jambo-Jimbo
6 minutes ago, cheetah said:

Just supping a few of these, pretty decent and only 6.8% so can have a few :lol: 

Basqueland Imparable - RAD Beer

Yip, I'd agree, it is nice, I did like this.

AUPA their Pale Ale was ok as well, not as good as the IPA though.

47 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Yip, I'd agree, it is nice, I did like this.

AUPA their Pale Ale was ok as well, not as good as the IPA though.

Not tried that, but the ipa is very good. ran out so now got vedett extra blond, pretty decent but not touching the basqueland.