Favourite Beer

jimmyjambo

Auld Reekin'
22 hours ago, One five said:

Yeah it’s London pride I normally drink down there it’s the only one so far I don’t get fed up with after a bit ,the other beers you mentioned I don’t think I’ve tried but  I’ve tasted some awful stuff tbh some go flat after 2 minutes lol

I read recently that the southern "flat pint" thing is at least some of the time down to the brightener attachment used when pouring. According to this, the bigger the head on a pint the more hop-character comes through on the initial taste. As most hops were grown in southern England they were cheaper there and more were used in their beers. This meant that it wasn't necessary to try and accentuate the hoppy taste as the beers were hoppy anyway, so they tended to pour with a smaller, thinner, head. The further north you went, the more expensive hops became and so fewer were used when brewing. Therefore, a different brightener was used to produce a bigger, more dense, head and beer-drinkers became more used to that and - indeed - demanded it.

I certainly prefer drinking any beer through a decent head that remains as you work your way down to the bottom of the glass and am not keen on overly-hoppy beers, so I'm definitely a "northern beer" man!

One beer I forgot to mention that you might encounter down in London is McMullen AK which is also pretty good.

https://www.mcmullens.co.uk/blog/2018/02/origin-of-mcmullens-ak-mild-bitter#.Xxnxip5KjIU

Not tried any of their other brews but they might be worth a go too.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• jimmyjambo

• Dawnrazor

• heartsfc_fan

Jambo-Jimbo
22 minutes ago, One five said:

If my memory serves correct a lot of the older guys (then) used to have a this along with a whisky 

A chaser, that's what it's called.

16 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

I read recently that the southern "flat pint" thing is at least some of the time down to the brightener attachment used when pouring. According to this, the bigger the head on a pint the more hop-character comes through on the initial taste. As most hops were grown in southern England they were cheaper there and more were used in their beers. This meant that it wasn't necessary to try and accentuate the hoppy taste as the beers were hoppy anyway, so they tended to pour with a smaller, thinner, head. The further north you went, the more expensive hops became and so fewer were used when brewing. Therefore, a different brightener was used to produce a bigger, more dense, head and beer-drinkers became more used to that and - indeed - demanded it.

I certainly prefer drinking any beer through a decent head that remains as you work your way down to the bottom of the glass and am not keen on overly-hoppy beers, so I'm definitely a "northern beer" man!

One beer I forgot to mention that you might encounter down in London is McMullen AK which is also pretty good.

https://www.mcmullens.co.uk/blog/2018/02/origin-of-mcmullens-ak-mild-bitter#.Xxnxip5KjIU

Not tried any of their other brews but they might be worth a go too.

Interesting read thanks , yeah always like a head on a pint that stays until the end , nothing worse than a bad pint of best and the head is gone after a few sips I can tell as soon as the first sip that’s it is not right , never go back to them them pubs lol

10 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

A chaser, that's what it's called.

That’s it mate yeah my dad and his pals used to drink them 👍

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, jimmyjambo said:

Just had this cracking beer from Left Hand Giant, rich and chocolate tasting, will buy again 

AB6726AE-1E20-49D0-9514-132905C1D788.jpeg

Where you get that from JJ?

Right into Schiehallion just now. Really refreshing beer/lager.   

Was getting sick of turning to my usual and was hunting for something different. 

Jambo-Jimbo
12 minutes ago, One five said:

Had to give it a try 

very nice 👍 

F1F3B7BB-AED0-4BB1-859E-8B270CDD5B3B.jpeg

Glad you liked it, got a unique taste isn't it.

JKB can be useful at times, and this has to be one of the better threads, no political crap, no falling out (thus far), just beer lovers sharing beer tips with other members.  :mj_zivili:

Jambo-Jimbo
21 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Right into Schiehallion just now. Really refreshing beer/lager.   

Was getting sick of turning to my usual and was hunting for something different. 

That the Harviestoun Brewery beer?

Had it once on cask at the Traquair Beer Festival in the mid '90's, wasn't that impressed by it, going by my notes in my database.

Haven't tried it in the last 20 odd years, certainly not in bottle form, seen it in plenty of shops but never bothered getting it, will need to re-try it.

5 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Glad you liked it, got a unique taste isn't it.

JKB can be useful at times, and this has to be one of the better threads, no political crap, no falling out (thus far), just beer lovers sharing beer tips with other members.  :mj_zivili:

Yeah it has , very pleasant.  

Agree , sometimes the terrace can be a riot 😂

Jambo-Jimbo
1 minute ago, One five said:

Yeah it has , very pleasant.  

Agree , sometimes the terrace can be a riot 😂

Oh, so can the shed be. :laugh:  The good thing tho about the shed is that we don't tend to get many vermin interlopers on here.

2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Oh, so can the shed be. :laugh:  The good thing tho about the shed is that we don't tend to get many vermin interlopers on here.

I don’t get involved in any arguable posts and if someone starts I just ignore it 😂

yeah the interlopers have no reason to be talking about beers etc 👍

Drinking Tetley's for the first time. Went from John Smith's to this. Nice but a lot fizzier. Doesn't really taste like a heavy, more like one of your IPA's, the left crafty ones like McEwans Export.

21 minutes ago, Locky said:

Drinking Tetley's for the first time. Went from John Smith's to this. Nice but a lot fizzier. Doesn't really taste like a heavy, more like one of your IPA's, the left crafty ones like McEwans Export.

Drunk Tetley’s a few times down south in the pubs I had there ale not sure what other range of beers they do tbh yeah it  was nice 👍 

2 minutes ago, One five said:

Drunk Tetley’s a few times down south in the pubs I had there ale not sure what other range of beers they do tbh yeah it  was nice 👍 

I defo like it, not many beers I don't like, but I'm thinking Tetley's should've been the gap beer between my Heineken and John Smith's.

8 minutes ago, Locky said:

I defo like it, not many beers I don't like, but I'm thinking Tetley's should've been the gap beer between my Heineken and John Smith's.

Aye ye canny beat a gid pint mate 👍

Jambo-Jimbo
12 hours ago, One five said:

I don’t get involved in any arguable posts and if someone starts I just ignore it 😂

yeah the interlopers have no reason to be talking about beers etc 👍

Meth's is their drink of choice :laugh:

Jambo-Jimbo
11 hours ago, One five said:

They don't have a big range of beers AFAIK, owned by Calsberg now and predominately only produce Tetley's cask & Smoothflow.

I've only ever had 5 Tetley beers, there is a Tetley No. 3 Pale Ale on the go the now, or at least it was, as I had a bottle last year, bog standard tbh, the only other ones which I've had apart from the normal Bitter & Smoothflow, were Tetley's Gold & Huntsman's Ale, that's all I've had from Tetley's.

42 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

They don't have a big range of beers AFAIK, owned by Calsberg now and predominately only produce Tetley's cask & Smoothflow.

I've only ever had 5 Tetley beers, there is a Tetley No. 3 Pale Ale on the go the now, or at least it was, as I had a bottle last year, bog standard tbh, the only other ones which I've had apart from the normal Bitter & Smoothflow, were Tetley's Gold & Huntsman's Ale, that's all I've had from Tetley's.

I honestly can’t remember what one I had all I know it was an ale it was a few years ago in a pub outside London, thought it was nice but not remembering it tells you something .

Stuart Lyon
16 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

That the Harviestoun Brewery beer?

Had it once on cask at the Traquair Beer Festival in the mid '90's, wasn't that impressed by it, going by my notes in my database.

Haven't tried it in the last 20 odd years, certainly not in bottle form, seen it in plenty of shops but never bothered getting it, will need to re-try it.

JJ does your database go back 20 years? If so you must have tasted a few thousand beers! Some achievement.

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, Stuart Lyon said:

JJ does your database go back 20 years? If so you must have tasted a few thousand beers! Some achievement.

Over 25 years, probably the early '90's, although back then I didn't always record dates & some other bits of info, over the years it's expanded, and over 3000 beers from 81 different countries now, many from breweries which are no longer with us.

Including this from a long defunct brewery, Eldridge Pope in Dorchester.

I bought this on the 24 March 1995, I think it was in somewhere like Oddbins or similar and was also quite expensive IIRC £3 or £4 which back then was a lot of money for a bottle of beer, my brother-in-law bought a bottle at the same time, his lasted about 6 hrs until he drank it, mine's is now 26 years old and still unopened, I'll get round to opening it someday, and who knows what strengh it'll be as it was 12% when it was bottled, so it might well have gotten stronger over the years.  

image.jpeg.3174c1c9596a86367b3a532c92b37164.jpeg

Stuart Lyon
54 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Over 25 years, probably the early '90's, although back then I didn't always record dates & some other bits of info, over the years it's expanded, and over 3000 beers from 81 different countries now, many from breweries which are no longer with us.

Including this from a long defunct brewery, Eldridge Pope in Dorchester.

I bought this on the 24 March 1995, I think it was in somewhere like Oddbins or similar and was also quite expensive IIRC £3 or £4 which back then was a lot of money for a bottle of beer, my brother-in-law bought a bottle at the same time, his lasted about 6 hrs until he drank it, mine's is now 26 years old and still unopened, I'll get round to opening it someday, and who knows what strengh it'll be as it was 12% when it was bottled, so it might well have gotten stronger over the years.  

image.jpeg.3174c1c9596a86367b3a532c92b37164.jpeg

I hope the TH Ale does taste good when you eventually open it. Might impressed by your extensive beer tasting exploits; there won't be many who can better that. Keep going!

Jambo-Jimbo
40 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

I hope the TH Ale does taste good when you eventually open it. Might impressed by your extensive beer tasting exploits; there won't be many who can better that. Keep going!

I'm just a beginner compared to the real pros, seen a programme once about Belgian beer festivals, anyway they interviewed these blokes and like me they kept a database, only difference was they were into the 7, 8, 9000's........real pros these were. 😄

Was at a beer garden and had a few pints of caledonian best that was very nice indeed, they where served in a plastic container and when we went inside after dark it was served in a pint glass it tasted even better , why is there a big difference lol maybe just in the mind 😂any way hope you all enjoyed your Saturday night cheers 👍

Jambo-Jimbo

Milk Stout (5.2%) - Cassels Brewing Co, Christchurch, New Zealand

Awarded the World's Best Milk Stout Title.

It is good, the Worlds Best, debatable, but it is good tho.

image.jpeg.7bdba985b8e4200ddc8aa4680005bb8a.jpeg

heartsfc_fan

This is nice.

6.1% IPA. Plenty of flavour. Really tasty. Could drink this all night.

I've only seen this in Asda.

index.jpg

On 27/07/2020 at 20:38, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Milk Stout (5.2%) - Cassels Brewing Co, Christchurch, New Zealand

Awarded the World's Best Milk Stout Title.

It is good, the Worlds Best, debatable, but it is good tho.

image.jpeg.7bdba985b8e4200ddc8aa4680005bb8a.jpeg

You had Fallen Chew Chew? Decent

Auld Reekin'
2 hours ago, One five said:

Got a couple of these after work today, nice way to end a week at work 👍

0C58339C-24C6-4542-9CC9-592D93AA0C51.jpeg

:sweeet:

Stuart Lyon

Tried these last night - Buxton was heavy and quite coffee flavoured as it says on the tin - 7% ABV

The Breakfast beer was light and refreshing only 4% or thereabouts

Buxton.thumb.jpeg.19848ef248b4dde0cdb89a225c5490d9.jpeg

Breakfast.jpeg

Edited by Stuart Lyon

3 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Can't say I have.

Fallen's beers are great actually. Can't quite decide on Chew Chew but I think I might like it!

They do a hose which is excellent. Or they used to anyway. Don't beer as much as I used to, so may be out of touch!

Dagger Is Back
On 24/07/2020 at 21:18, One five said:

Had to give it a try 

very nice 👍 

F1F3B7BB-AED0-4BB1-859E-8B270CDD5B3B.jpeg

Had a holiday birthday beer tonight. Was pleasant enough

8 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Had a holiday birthday beer tonight. Was pleasant enough

Yeah it was recommended by JJ I will certainly drink it again 

This is why I like this thread it good to see other beers to try👍

Dagger Is Back
22 minutes ago, One five said:

Yeah it was recommended by JJ I will certainly drink it again 

This is why I like this thread it good to see other beers to try👍

I agree. A great thread to encourage. Old Jock and Champion have been added to my favourite lists through recommendations on here

Jambo-Jimbo
3 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

I agree. A great thread to encourage. Old Jock and Champion have been added to my favourite lists through recommendations on here

Better make the most of the 'Old Jock' as Broughton Brewery have launched a crowd funding to stay alive, must be In a bit of bother right now, in saying that I'd imagine many other breweries are in a similar position.

Dagger Is Back
40 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Better make the most of the 'Old Jock' as Broughton Brewery have launched a crowd funding to stay alive, must be In a bit of bother right now, in saying that I'd imagine many other breweries are in a similar position.

Oh no that’s not good news at all. Sadly they won’t be alone as you say. 

The fallout from CV will be massive and widespread 

8 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Ah ! That’s not so good old jock is a beer I often get if I’m having a get together with the family.

Hopefully the brewery will survive these strange times. 

John mcCartney
1 hour ago, One five said:

Ah ! That’s not so good old jock is a beer I often get if I’m having a get together with the family.

Hopefully the brewery will survive these strange times. 

Im sitting drinking a bottle of their Hopo 6.2% IPA at the moment.
Slightly sozzled  as the bottle empties.I have a couple per week amongst others.
Yes,hope this brewery survives !!!!