Favourite Beer

jimmyjambo

18 minutes ago, John mcCartney said:

Im sitting drinking a bottle of their Hopo 6.2% IPA at the moment.
Slightly sozzled  as the bottle empties.I have a couple per week amongst others.
Yes,hope this brewery survives !!!!

I’m having a jokers ipa with some Chinese food

very nice after a long day work 👍

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• jimmyjambo

• Dawnrazor

• heartsfc_fan

Jambo-Jimbo
2 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Has anyone tried the Stout Jock?

I might by half a dozen of each online.

Not yet, I bought a bottle on Saturday when I went on a beer hunt in Hawick, got 18 new beers between Morrisons & Lidl.

If you like 'Old Jock' then you'll more than likely like 'Wee Jock' as well, it's a traditional 80/- Scottish Ale, very nice if i say so myself.

Just now, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Not yet, I bought a bottle on Saturday when I went on a beer hunt in Hawick, got 18 new beers between Morrisons & Lidl.

If you like 'Old Jock' then you'll more than likely like 'Wee Jock' as well, it's a traditional 80/- Scottish Ale, very nice if i say so myself.

👍

Jambo-Jimbo

Had several new beers over the last few days, none were imo worthy of posting anything about.

However this is a quite nice, easy drinking hoppy refreshing ale.

Wild Boar IPA (5.7%) - Buxton Brewery, Buxton, England.

image.thumb.jpeg.91d7052f93ae38e892a35cae0e023063.jpeg

Stewart Brewing Loanhead; Edinburgh Gold 4.8%  Hollyrood 5.0%  Cascadian East 5.4%,  Tasted the Edinburgh Gold on draught for the 1st time last Tuesday, lovely stuff. Labels on the bottles are like sandpaper, no slipping through the fingers here, genius.

1126400768_Edigold2.thumb.JPG.146fde22cf99004ac8a213364259d13a.JPG

Sorry if been highlighted before.

Jambo-Jimbo
25 minutes ago, OBE said:

Stewart Brewing Loanhead; Edinburgh Gold 4.8%  Hollyrood 5.0%  Cascadian East 5.4%,  Tasted the Edinburgh Gold on draught for the 1st time last Tuesday, lovely stuff. Labels on the bottles are like sandpaper, no slipping through the fingers here, genius.

1126400768_Edigold2.thumb.JPG.146fde22cf99004ac8a213364259d13a.JPG

Sorry if been highlighted before.

Had a pint of the Gold at lunchtime when out for a cheap (half-price) lunch, it's alright.

On 24/07/2020 at 21:51, Jambo-Jimbo said:

That the Harviestoun Brewery beer?

Had it once on cask at the Traquair Beer Festival in the mid '90's, wasn't that impressed by it, going by my notes in my database.

Haven't tried it in the last 20 odd years, certainly not in bottle form, seen it in plenty of shops but never bothered getting it, will need to re-try it.

Meant to get back you , mate. I’ve only really started drinking it. I first came across it on tap up in Killin when I worked there, as recent as 2016.

I didn’t really drink it a lot in Killin but I was poking around Morrison’s looking for something different to drink away from my norm and I spotted it in bottles. 

Really enjoying it. Nice and crisp, mellow flavour.  Couldn’t tell you if it’s changed or not from when you had it way back. 👍🏻

Jambo-Jimbo
12 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

Meant to get back you , mate. I’ve only really started drinking it. I first came across it on tap up in Killin when I worked there, as recent as 2016.

I didn’t really drink it a lot in Killin but I was poking around Morrison’s looking for something different to drink away from my norm and I spotted it in bottles. 

Really enjoying it. Nice and crisp, mellow flavour.  Couldn’t tell you if it’s changed or not from when you had it way back. 👍🏻

Tbh neither will I, with any degree of certainty, however in saying that I got a bottle in Morrisons on Saturday so when I do taste it and it's not rank, then it'll be an improvement from 20 odd years ago. :laugh:

Jambo-Jimbo

Box o' Frogs (6.9%) - 8 Sail Brewery, Heckington, Lincolnshire

American IPA, this is decent stuff at 6.9% and it goes down very smoothly, isn't helluva strong & overpowering with hops like some American IPA's, but more than enough to make it very easy drinking with a very pleasant taste, I'm liking this.  Had a few beers from this brewery (16 & 3 pending) and not had a bad one yet.

image.jpeg.8be91f645ac7908402af803833d4386a.jpeg

grumpyjambo
On 18/07/2020 at 09:03, Stuart Lyon said:

Tried this last night - nice taste - refreshing,

Little Creatues.jpeg

Quite like that when I am in Oz

grumpyjambo
On 18/07/2020 at 10:31, Jambo-Jimbo said:

As Aussie beers go, this is probably one of the better ones.

Some decent Aussie IPA's on the go now, choice is a lot better that the first time I was out there in 2007

On 04/08/2020 at 13:54, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Trying to order some Old Jock, Stout Jock and Wee Jock on line.

Got a "Jock in a Box" ordered!

4 Old Jock.

4 Wee Jock (bottles).

2 Stout Jock.

2 Wee Jock in cans.

30 quid.

Jambo-Jimbo
7 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Got a "Jock in a Box" ordered!

4 Old Jock.

4 Wee Jock (bottles).

2 Stout Jock.

2 Wee Jock in cans.

30 quid.

Wee Jock in cans, not seen them before, you'll like the 'Wee Jock'.

Of course I've just set myself up here. :laugh:

2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Wee Jock in cans, not seen them before, you'll like the 'Wee Jock'.

Of course I've just set myself up here. :laugh:

It better be ****in good, it's on your recommendation I've spent 30 bloody quid!!!

One of my oldest and best mates lives around your neck of the woods, I might have to get him to pay you a wee visit!

hqdefault.jpg

Jambo-Jimbo
4 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

It better be ****in good, it's on your recommendation I've spent 30 bloody quid!!!

One of my oldest and best mates lives around your neck of the woods, I might have to get him to pay you a wee visit!

hqdefault.jpg

:laugh:

Jambo-Jimbo

Got to say I really like this stuff, lovely beer, so much so I bought 5 bottles in my last case from Beers of Europe last week.

Tynt Meadow (7.4%) - Mount St. Bernard Abbey, Charnwood Forest, Leicestershire.

image.jpeg.211b3c38a7260b1ae8a22e6d27729330.jpeg

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Got to say I really like this stuff, lovely beer, so much so I bought 5 bottles in my last case from Beers of Europe last week.

Tynt Meadow (7.4%) - Mount St. Bernard Abbey, Charnwood Forest, Leicestershire.

image.jpeg.211b3c38a7260b1ae8a22e6d27729330.jpeg

Now that does look nice 👍 

7.4% ! hope you never drunk the FIVE bottle in ONE night .

03BBDEBD-FABD-4650-9D74-90696CF6EF63.gif

Jambo-Jimbo

Schlosser Altbier (4.8%) - Schlosser, Dusseldorf.

Pretty nondescript tbh, had much better altbiers, had worse as well, file under average.

image.jpeg.d402f85d14050a3e33a8dfa094c73d86.jpeg

7 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Thanks for posting that! Just ordered my Jock in a Box.

Hope it helps them survive after reading this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-53665731

I read about thier troubles a wee bit ago, that's why I ordered from them, arriving tomorrow apparently..........I might book Friday off!!

Just had this double IPA from Cloudwater, it’s a lovely beer, full of flavour, I bought this direct from the brewery,  but I think there are equally as nice IPA’s I can get from the supermarket for half the price. 

7E175828-40E9-46F3-A6F6-A2C695F9702E.jpeg

1 hour ago, jimmyjambo said:

Just had this double IPA from Cloudwater, it’s a lovely beer, full of flavour, I bought this direct from the brewery,  but I think there are equally as nice IPA’s I can get from the supermarket for half the price. 

7E175828-40E9-46F3-A6F6-A2C695F9702E.jpeg

cloudwater do some nice beers

2 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

I read about thier troubles a wee bit ago, that's why I ordered from them, arriving tomorrow apparently..........I might book Friday off!!

Lots of smaller breweries struggling.

Have tried to order direct since lockdown.

The fantastic Fyne ales, just  been delivered another blow with the closure of the "rest and be thankful" again.

Jock in a Box arrived today, ordered late on Wednesday night👍

Started with a "Stout Jock".

Very very nice.

How can a company that makes a beer that tastes like this be in trouble???

My God what a lovley beer.

brouhton-old-jock-500ml.jpg

3 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

How can a company that makes a beer that tastes like this be in trouble???

My God what a lovley beer.

brouhton-old-jock-500ml.jpg

Had a couple tonight 

delicious 👍.  

Jambo-Jimbo

I tried this years ago and wasn't that impressed, so thought it was time to try it again.

A bit too citrusy for my liking, but might grow on me.

image.thumb.jpeg.9ba2eb78e65cb33194f0006753a2ff8b.jpeg

Drinking this just now, another cracking beer from Cloudwater, this is in collaboration with Rock Leopard, could only drink the one though as it’s very rich,, flavours of cinnamon, orange, star anise, a bit like a Christmas pudding,

100% of all proceeds (not just profits) from this beer have been donated to three organisations fighting the injustices, crimes, hostility and brutality facing Black people in our country. These organisations are Kids Of Colour, Rainbow Noir, and The Racial Justice Network.

965DDDCB-73E2-48B9-8D06-3185CB1750CD.jpeg

C01B3EBD-B832-479B-B907-6FB0D23473B3.jpeg

12 hours ago, heartsfc_fan said:

images.jpg

As much as a like to try different beers you can’t beat a good pint of export on draft if you can get it. Think last place I mind having on draft was the roseburn 

Mayflower IPA (4.7%) - 8 Sail Brewery, Heckington, Lincolnshire

Brewed to commemorate the 400th Anniversary of the sailing of the Mayflower in 1620.

First taste is floral followed by citrusy aftertaste, another fine beer from 8 Sail Brewery.

image.thumb.jpeg.cefe39325f30e86dd77552fc0bd7944b.jpeg

On 09/08/2020 at 11:25, 80bob said:

As much as a like to try different beers you can’t beat a good pint of export on draft if you can get it. Think last place I mind having on draft was the roseburn 

BMC Club used to have it.

On 01/08/2020 at 18:40, TheBigO said:

Fallen's beers are great actually. Can't quite decide on Chew Chew but I think I might like it!

They do a raspberry flavoured version as well, Big Raspberry Dog Chew. Pretty decent too, although I'm still not convinced I love either version...although I keep trying them so must be something about them!

9 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

They do a raspberry flavoured version as well, Big Raspberry Dog Chew. Pretty decent too, although I'm still not convinced I love either version...although I keep trying them so must be something about them!

Aye that's kinda where I'm at with them. Don't drink a lot of dark beer but I do enjoy a milk stout.

Turned into a tradition that our kids leave a milk stout out for Santa. They reckoned he likes milk, and I found a compromise!!

Boston Jambo
On 08/08/2020 at 16:34, jimmyjambo said:

Drinking this just now, another cracking beer from Cloudwater, this is in collaboration with Rock Leopard, could only drink the one though as it’s very rich,, flavours of cinnamon, orange, star anise, a bit like a Christmas pudding,

100% of all proceeds (not just profits) from this beer have been donated to three organisations fighting the injustices, crimes, hostility and brutality facing Black people in our country. These organisations are Kids Of Colour, Rainbow Noir, and The Racial Justice Network.

965DDDCB-73E2-48B9-8D06-3185CB1750CD.jpeg

C01B3EBD-B832-479B-B907-6FB0D23473B3.jpeg

Drinking the same stuff here in Boston. I guess the breweries get given the base recipe and then can create their own version of a stout. 

IMG_20200811_094855.jpg

IMG_20200811_094904.jpg

joondalupjambo
On 05/08/2020 at 19:20, grumpyjambo said:

Quite like that when I am in Oz

Yep Little Creatures in Fremantle was one of our locals when we lived in Perth. The pale ale is cracking but their summer ale which only went on sale for a few months of the year was probably one of the best beers I have tasted.

joondalupjambo
On 24/07/2020 at 23:48, Tott said:

500ml_corncrake@2x.png?itok=3k84uuff

This and the Orkney Gold.

Really nice beer, up there with Fyne Ales   Hurricane jack/jarl...almost

Orkney Gold has been my go to beer all through lock down.  Superb and slightly chilled it is even better.  And at 1.49 a bottle in Lidls for 500ml an absolute steal.  Corncracke ok but not a touch on OG.  Ossian, again cheap in Lidls is close to an all time fav along with Jack Back second but now OG on top of the tree.

A couple of bottles of Old Golden Hen, a really light and refreshing Beer for this weather, very nice.

217661011_0_640x640.jpg?identifier=205a0

15 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

Yep Little Creatures in Fremantle was one of our locals when we lived in Perth. The pale ale is cracking but their summer ale which only went on sale for a few months of the year was probably one of the best beers I have tasted.

If and when it opens again take yourself to London and visit their place behind Kings Cross

https://www.littlecreatures.co.uk

The whole area has been redeveloped and it is a lively place.

LittleC.jpeg

I had the pleasure of working my way through a variety of Overtone beers last night. You can't go wrong with Overtone and it's brewed just along the road in Yoker - doesn't get any fresher than that. Bit of a sore head today, as usual with the craft beers!

Also been dipping into Verdant and DEYA in last week or so but they are expensive (justifiably, IMO), so it's more of a treat getting one of those down you. DEYA's 'Break Me Into Bigger Pieces' might be the greatest IPA that's ever been made. 

Edith Cavell (3.7%) - Wolf Brewery, Attleborough, Norfolk.

Golden Ale, quite mild taste and strengh tbh.

Edith's story is both interesting and tragic, executed by firing squad by the Germans during WWI.

image.thumb.jpeg.3a696c0d17e6fc612ddce76cf0ac8415.jpeg