***Potential signings/Transfer rumours Thread***

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

The Internet

Is this the point where someone mentions Billy King scored and assisted more than Allan in the Championship?

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this the point where someone mentions Billy King scored and assisted more than Allan in the Championship?

In a much better team than Allan

Lucille's Thirsty

In a much better team than Allan

Not what the media thought though we never got the credit we deserved in that league.

HamishMcGonagall

Last seaason aside, 30 league games for Hibs 15 assists and when at Celtic played 13 (mostly sub) 4 assists. Granted with the goals but to say he doesn't set them up is a bit far fetched would be a good signing IMO

Glad someone went to the trouble of getting the stats, cos even reading the comment this response was to, I knew it was sh**e...

Allan had more assists than King (and Walker, Nicholson etc.)

Not that they're directly comparable. Allan plays much deeper than King so there's more likely to be another pass or two between him having the ball and a goal being scored. That and the fact that Hibs evidently weren't as good at finishing chances.

We as a club should be keeping a eye on players at clubs like Falkirk,QOTS,Dunfermline.

Falkirk have had some good young players that have been chert picked by lower league English sides.

Levein had previously stated that he did not see any point or need to scout for players in the UK as they were too expensive outwith the youth players.

He has recently stated that they are reviewing this policy and are actively looking to recruit from within the UK and preferrably players who are Scottish or are familair with the Scottish game.

It will be interesting to see if this policy actually continues beyond this season.

Nookie Bear

Levein had previously stated that he did not see any point or need to scout for players in the UK as they were too expensive outwith the youth players.

He has recently stated that they are reviewing this policy and are actively looking to recruit from within the UK and preferrably players who are Scottish or are familair with the Scottish game.

It will be interesting to see if this policy actually continues beyond this season.

Has he lost the fag packet the 5-yr plan was scribbled on?

I'm happy with the signing of Scott Allan until he gives a reason to think otherwise. Like all signings really. It's entirely up to him how much he wants it.

Has he lost the fag packet the 5-yr plan was scribbled on?

Don't think he smokes but it might be on the back of the betting slip.

Fxxx the SPFL

Don't think he smokes but it might be on the back of the betting slip.

bookies in Rosyth and couple of pies frae the baker's next door.

Allan is a jigsaw piece player

He won't control games game in game out but he is a midfielder that looks for forward passes and makes passes with vision.

But he needs movement and the right players around him

I'd be pretty happy with him because it would indicate we would be playing attractive attacking football - or trying to.

Scott Allan has ability but an apparantly questionable attitude. It's a tricky one. With the right management and guidance and team blend he could be a real good signing. But have we got these things ? Because if not it could be another Tony Watt debacle.

Scott Allan would be a backwards signing for us. He had one good season with the wee team and that's it. He'd be another passenger and hard work for the management.

Hungry hippo

Allan is a jigsaw piece player

He won't control games game in game out but he is a midfielder that looks for forward passes and makes passes with vision.

But he needs movement and the right players around him

I'd be pretty happy with him because it would indicate we would be playing attractive attacking football - or trying to.

One aspect of Cathro I don't doubt is his intentions. He clearly wants to play that way. Fingers crossed he can deliver it.

Cruyff Turn

I'm a bit meh about Scott Allan. He hasn't really done enough in his career to suggest he'd be a good signing. He has some really obvious qualities but he's is a passenger at times who needs to be carried for large parts of a game.

I sort of assumed reading in between the lines that we would play a 3-1-4-2 like Juve did under Conte, and we would be looking to sign a defensive type playermaker rather than one who plays behind the strikers.

rudi must stay

I'm a bit meh about Scott Allan. He hasn't really done enough in his career to suggest he'd be a good signing. He has some really obvious qualities but he's is a passenger at times who needs to be carried for large parts of a game.

I sort of assumed reading in between the lines that we would play a 3-1-4-2 like Juve did under Conte, and we would be looking to sign a defensive type playermaker rather than one who plays behind the strikers.

5-3-2 I think

Like you I was assuming our centre mid signing would be a more defensive player, perhaps we could be bringing in two? A centre midfield of Allan and Cowie with Prince and Martin as back up doesn't really have a lot of steel

Escobar PHM

Look. He's a bit of an enigma. If we get the Scott Allan Hibs had he'll be good for us. If we get the Scott Allan that everyone else before and after had then he won't get a game for us. As long as we're not putting all our eggs in his basket I am fine taking a wee punt on him. If he's being signed as the key midfield conduit that everything is going to run through then its a worry to be honest.

I expect a 3-5-2 next season with tweaks depending on who we are playing. To me that means we need 2 wing backs, a midfield passer (Allan ?) A more attacking midfielder to join in, and a front man that can play with a bit of width at times.

Cruyff Turn

Look. He's a bit of an enigma. If we get the Scott Allan Hibs had he'll be good for us. If we get the Scott Allan that everyone else before and after had then he won't get a game for us. As long as we're not putting all our eggs in his basket I am fine taking a wee punt on him. If he's being signed as the key midfield conduit that everything is going to run through then its a worry to be honest.

I expect a 3-5-2 next season with tweaks depending on who we are playing. To me that means we need 2 wing backs, a midfield passer (Allan ?) A more attacking midfielder to join in, and a front man that can play with a bit of width at times.

Yeah, I'd agree with that, he's certainly not a bad player by any means.

He can certainly pass, has the vision and good from set pieces, that side of his game is very good.

His weakness is off the ball imo so the two alongside him would be one who breaks up the play and the other box to box (Cowie Potentially). We'd definitely need a ball winner in there to get the best out of him as he'll be no use if we can't win possession.

At hibs he played at the tip of the diamond in a free role. So perhaps Souttar can play as the no.4 more as a libero, stepping into that position when we have the ball to create that diamond in midfield which is very Cruyff-esq.

Cruyff Turn

Like you I was assuming our centre mid signing would be a more defensive player, perhaps we could be bringing in two? A centre midfield of Allan and Cowie with Prince and Martin as back up doesn't really have a lot of steel

Maybe he'll be looking at two if he's dead cert on playing a 3 man defence. Then we can have different options within that shape.

I thought that because he had signed Tziolis and that position was key to how he wanted to play but he didn't have the wing backs nor the Central defenders to do it at the time.

If Djoum goes then I like you would think we'd need to find someone who can tackle and win possession. Cowie, Buaben and Martin certainly don't fit that bill.

Cruyff Turn

5-3-2 I think

It's all pretty similar, the 2 wide players will players will play right up and down the park so almost positionless but they'll have to be as good at attacking as they are at defending for the balance to be right.

So you might see players who were formally attacking wingers playing there.

Shane Ferguson of N.Ireland might fit the bill. Free transfer from Millwall, was previously a left winger now an attacking full back.

Watt-Zeefuik

5-3-2 I think

IMO it will be 3-5-2 if we're sitting tight, 3-4-3 if we're going for it.

Either way, back six is three CHs, two WB, and a deep lying playmaker (as in like Tziolis but can actually be arsed).  Depending on how attack minded we're being, either two CAMs feeding a central striker and a supporting striker (3-5-2), or one CAM feeding the two strikers plus a true wing forward (3-4-3).

Can I just ask what the deal with transfer windows is??

Ours started on 9th June and England's is 1st July, riight?  Does that mean we can sign players from anywhere as of last Fri, even if their window isn't open?  Obviously it means we can register out of contract players.

Ours started on 9th June and England's is 1st July, riight?  Does that mean we can sign players from anywhere as of last Fri, even if their window isn't open?  Obviously it means we can register out of contract players.

Think so. As long as our window is open, we should be able to register players from anywhere. You can still sell players outside a transfer window (like we did when Sow went to China), you just can't register new ones unless they're free agents.  

3 days and still no signings  :seething:

Think so. As long as our window is open, we should be able to register players from anywhere. You can still sell players outside a transfer window (like we did when Sow went to China), you just can't register new ones unless they're free agents.  

Oh aye, so we did. 

Aye, Agggghh, let's tear this place apart!!

Call me a cynic but I expect new signing announcements to coincide with "Period 4" of the season ticket sales.

Call me a cynic but I expect new signing announcements to coincide with "Period 4" of the season ticket sales.

You're a cynic.

You asked for that.

Scott Allan would link our midfield to forwards in a central position, the type of player we are crying out for imo.

Scott Allan would link our midfield to forwards in a central position, the type of player we are crying out for imo.

Absolutely. I really hope this one's true. 

Agree.  Though we do also need that guy that wins the scraps and gives that guy the ball.  We've been terrible at the 2nd ball for ages.

What I would ask, and I worry about asking it on here!!  What would Allan mean for Martin.  They're essentially the exact same type of player.  Can we carry 2 in the squad.  We're stuck with Malo.

FWIW, I think Martin has talent and was looking forward to seeing what he'd do this season.  I don't think he and Allan could play in the same team though, so if we do sign Allan it'll be interesting to see what happens there.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Djoum nor Walker worked with Goncalves. Really Goncalves is key and we need players to link with him

Lord Beni of Gorgie

A Klaxon today would be pleasing.

Vanarama Vanarama we're the boys to trust type Klaxon?

Djoum nor Walker worked with Goncalves. Really Goncalves is key and we need players to link with him

Agreed, but I think what we get out of Isma is more to do with another forward.  He's not a central striker.  If he has a partner to work with and from, he'll do better for me.  I guess that also gives more forward options (with plenty of movement from Isma) for someone like Allan to pick out too.

Although I've already made this point I will quote this in agreement as it makes me happy to agree with Gambo on something.

I hope Scott Allan is nowhere near our club, a guy who is 25 and had one decent season in his whole career, in the Scottish Championship,(i.e. Billy King)

Unfortunately due to his illness (diabetes) he can only manage an hour most games, last thing we need at this time, I'm not a Maluray Martin fan, but in my opinion he would be a preferable and more reliable option

I hope Scott Allan is nowhere near our club, a guy who is 25 and had one decent season in his whole career, in the Scottish Championship,(i.e. Billy King)

Unfortunately due to his illness (diabetes) he can only manage an hour most games, last thing we need at this time, I'm not a Maluray Martin fan, but in my opinion he would be a preferable and more reliable option

I guess my hope with this one is how well CL and Cathro know the guy.  In a situation like that, you kind of just have to trust them.  You'd hope he has a bit of respect for Levein and you'd hope Levein has sat him down and told him just how pivotal this is to his career and what he needs to do.

That said, CL knew Danny Swanson, so who knows!!!!!!

A Klaxon today would be pleasing.

Time still but I agree that with all the  news of folk wanting away a signing of someone who would be first choice quality would be good.

The really key positions in a 3-5-2 if we're going to use it are the Full Backs and Defensive Midfielder.

The Full backs need to be energetic and seriously fit in order to run the line all day and make runs off the ball.

And the defensive mid needs to be able to drop into the defense to almost create a back 4 when they do this.

Tziolis was good at the defensive parts as he had a good awareness. But was lazy in other aspects

The boy from Man City we are linked with fits the Wing Back role perfectly as he is so attacking. And Smith looked ok in it too, but need a first team right back to fit the bill with him as back up

Escobar PHM

The really key positions in a 3-5-2 if we're going to use it are the Full Backs and Defensive Midfielder.

The Full backs need to be energetic and seriously fit in order to run the line all day and make runs off the ball.

And the defensive mid needs to be able to drop into the defense to almost create a back 4 when they do this.

Tziolis was good at the defensive parts as he had a good awareness. But was lazy in other aspects

The boy from Man City we are linked with fits the Wing Back role perfectly as he is so attacking. And Smith looked ok in it too, but need a first team right back to fit the bill with him as back up

Unless there is something in the Whittaker rumours I think our WB's will be Smith and Smith-Brown. I'm not sure Whittaker has the engine to play at WB anymore so the RWB position is a possible issue that we'll need to seriously look at (because Smith isn't good enough IMO) and the LWB position will simply have to work with Smith-Brown.

Kitchen is probably the best defensive midfielder on the books at the moment, but he's on the way out and apparently been told he wont play next season so we almost certainly have someone lined up for that job, although I wonder if we might push Souttar into that role ?

We're still half a dozen players short at this stage, most of them first 11 picks.

I'm thinking this way too. Allan only managed 11 appearances last season for a team that finished well adrift at the bottom of the Championship so I'm not sure why there is such great clamour for us to sign him. If we're to be signing anyone that's deemed 'surplus to requirements' at Celtic I'd rather have the likes of GMS, Henderson or Ciftci than Allan. 

I have the feeling that we'll see a different, better Martin this coming season too.

There will be a right wing back as well. Even if he wants to go with smith at right back will need cover

With Nicholson and Walker almost certainly gone Scott Allan would be a good signing.  As for a backwards step, in comparison to what exactly?  

There will be a right wing back as well. Even if he wants to go with smith at right back will need cover

Smith should go out on loan. Brandon looks a better option.

Brandon?

Unless there is something in the Whittaker rumours I think our WB's will be Smith and Smith-Brown. I'm not sure Whittaker has the engine to play at WB anymore so the RWB position is a possible issue that we'll need to seriously look at (because Smith isn't good enough IMO) and the LWB position will simply have to work with Smith-Brown.

Kitchen is probably the best defensive midfielder on the books at the moment, but he's on the way out and apparently been told he wont play next season so we almost certainly have someone lined up for that job, although I wonder if we might push Souttar into that role ?

We're still half a dozen players short at this stage, most of them first 11 picks.

Whittaker would be a first class wing back for us. He's getting on a bit but he still seems very fit, age doesn't always mean their easily tired. I think Cowie is our fittest player!

For the defensive mid I would put Nowak in there. He was great just after Cathro joined playing there but had a huge lack of confidence at CB towards the end. (Cant blame him when he was with Avolontis)

I know we all want big new signings but if we put Nowak in that role which he is well suited to imo, and sign the City left back on loan. It should free up funds to sign a better quality RWB and Striker/Winger

KineticBeat

Brandon?

'

Jamie Brandon.

The young guy who played against Celtic in the last game of the season. Played a decent 90 minutes (kept Sinclair quiet enough but has to shoulder some blame for their second). This makes him instantly better than Smith to some.

Our most likely squad I think is:

Hamilton

Noring

Berra

Hughes

Souttar

Smith

Smith-Brown - Man City Loan

Brandon

Oshaniwa

A New RWB

Martin

Buaben

Cowie

Beith

New CM

Nowak

Walker

Djoum (maybe)

Zanatta

New Winger

Isma

Currie

Johnson

Stockton

Another ST (maybe)

I think if Kitchen gets told he'll need to fight for a place then he'll go. It's a world cup year and if he wants to stay in the squad he needs to play.

But we definitely need more signings, and in very key areas.

Please correct if I've missed anyone

Archived