Cooncil Elections

Gershwin

ToadKiller Dog

Lots of media pish, the Tory's did not win a seat in ferguslie park ,they won in Paisley north west ward which includes the affluent area of castlehead and they scraped home in 4th.

The Tory win in Calton Glasgow they got 11% in the first preference vote and was about the 7th round before they sneaked in ,Snp and greens combined in that ward took 56% of the first preference .

In cowdenbeith the Tory again sneaked in a seat in the the 7th preference round and maybe was helped by just running the one candidate .

The idea that some poorer areas turned Tory is just a nonsense ,it's the STV system that helped spread the seats more .

In Glasgow under the old FPTP system the SNP would have won every seat .

The Tory vote basically came out on Thursday and held up much the same as it did for the holyrood election .

The idea that remaining the 20% Labour voters are going to jump to Tory voters at the GE is a nonsense ,I expect Labour vote to hold or lose a little to the SNP ,if those labour voters were going to go Tory they would have done so on Thursday .

plus that another 20% who didn't vote will do so in June they won't be a majority of Tories .

The Tory party has maxed and they may sneak 2 or 3 more seats at best .

So the Tory spivs can claim they won the signing contest as much as they like truth is they still trail by a country mile in Scotland .

I also think that the labour Vote will solidify down south and the Tory spivs won't get as large a majority as they think they will.

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So who's controlling Edinburgh council now?

The two chumps I voted 1 and 2 didn't get near the chamber :lol:

Bowmans_Boot

Lots of media pish, the Tory's did not win a seat in ferguslie park ,they won in Paisley north west ward which includes the affluent area of castlehead and they scraped home in 4th.

The Tory win in Calton Glasgow they got 11% in the first preference vote and was about the 7th round before they sneaked in ,Snp and greens combined in that ward took 56% of the first preference .

In cowdenbeith the Tory again sneaked in a seat in the the 7th preference round and maybe was helped by just running the one candidate .

The idea that some poorer areas turned Tory is just a nonsense ,it's the STV system that helped spread the seats more .

The Tory vote basically came out on Thursday and held up much the same as it did for the holyrood election .

The idea that remaining the 20% Labour voters are going to jump to Tory voters at the GE is a nonsense ,I expect Labour vote to hold or lose a little to the SNP ,if those labour voters were going to go Tory they would have done so on Thursday .

plus that another 20% who didn't vote will do so in June they won't be a majority of Tories .

So the Tory spivs can claim they won the signing contest as much as they like truth is they still trail by a country mile in Scotland .

I also think that the labour Vote will solidify down south and the Tory spivs won't get as large a majority as they think they will.

Good post. As they have had absolutely nothing at all to even whisper about for so long they are now overcompensating and going just a wee bit OTT with it now.

Space Mackerel

Just had a look at my old area in Dunfermline to find a Tory had won a seat for the area on Fife Council. The Tories didn't even put up a candidate when I lived there! :laugh:

The Tory who got elected in Paisley actually only got 13% of the vote.

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2017/05/astonishing-tory-ferguslie-park-super-triumph/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

markphmfc

I agree wity everything bar the part about Labour. Corbyn should have been removed for them to have any chance however they failed miserably. I've got family living in north england who have voted Labour all their life however they cannot bring themselves to back a terrorist sympathiser. It's not just that thats the issue either however it's a factor.

Thunderstruck

I hope the Nats are convincing themselves as they are convincing nobody else.

Sturgeon is attempting to put a brace face on yesterday and attempting to spin it as a "victory". Unfortunately, she isn't good at hiding body language and "the eyes never lie".

Salmond - well, every time we see him, he looks like he's come through a hedge backwards. Is the pressure getting to him?

This past couple of days has to be a deep disappointment given their aim of "taking control" of councils and getting some sort of bounce to show that another referendum is a winnable aim. Instead of doing that, it has clearly demonstrated that the core support is, at best, static.

For Sturgeon, that's two elections on the bounce that have not gone to plan and were only a "success" in febrile Nat minds. Maybe it is time to shelve her futile plan and get on with running the country.

The winner yesterday was democracy - seats allocated to reflect vote, no overall control anywhere, consensus and coalition needed to form administrations and, best of all, the continuance of non-partisan politics in parts of the country.

Maroon Sailor

Overall not a bad day for the SNP yesterday. Gained a small amount of seats & lost overall control of Dundee but by far the largest support in Scotland with 56% more seats than the scum. The horse trading will start now but I am glad that the SNP wont be doing any deals with the shite.

Labour's supporters showing their utter contempt for Corbyn and voted for the risable filth as a protest vote and NOT for 'Ms No Surrender Tank Commander prove that youve been raped Davidson'.

Overall a good day.

It was a protest vote that let the Seps Nazi Party in to Holyrood in the first place

manaliveits105

Sturgeons face doesn't agree with her we really won words in the news interviews - she knows she hasn't been up to the job

Space Mackerel

I hope the Nats are convincing themselves as they are convincing nobody else.

Sturgeon is attempting to put a brace face on yesterday and attempting to spin it as a "victory". Unfortunately, she isn't good at hiding body language and "the eyes never lie".

Salmond - well, every time we see him, he looks like he's come through a hedge backwards. Is the pressure getting to him?

This past couple of days has to be a deep disappointment given their aim of "taking control" of councils and getting some sort of bounce to show that another referendum is a winnable aim. Instead of doing that, it has clearly demonstrated that the core support is, at best, static.

For Sturgeon, that's two elections on the bounce that have not gone to plan and were only a "success" in febrile Nat minds. Maybe it is time to shelve her futile plan and get on with running the country.

The winner yesterday was democracy - seats allocated to reflect vote, no overall control anywhere, consensus and coalition needed to form administrations and, best of all, the continuance of non-partisan politics in parts of the country.

"Spin it as a victory" :rofl:

Who won?

Space Mackerel

What councils did you win?

I couldn't really care how many we took overall control with.

I'm more interested in your percentage of the vote, which the BBC still haven't published.

Craig Murray says it's around 23% which would be entirely consistent with the amount of seats you won yesterday.

Thunderstruck

"Spin it as a victory" :rofl:

Who won?

Are you a hobo? Are you measuring victory as possession or shots in general direction of the goal.

I couldn't really care how many we took overall control with.

I'm more interested in your percentage of the vote, which the BBC still haven't published.

Craig Murray says it's around 23% which would be entirely consistent with the amount of seats you won yesterday.

What about the pro UK party share v pro indy party share?

ToadKiller Dog

The fact is that the 2ND place Tory party are further away from the SNP in gap in seat numbers than Labour in 2012 .

The gap has increased .

All we have seen is a realignment of votes from Labour to Tory in the 2ND and 3rd positions .

As for what the SNP have won they will be the largest Party in 19 councils ,will likely run the 4 big cities ,Glasgow with the greens , Edinburgh with labour ,Dundee they can run themselves as they did as a minority in the past .

Be that in coalition but that's what the change to the voting system in 2007 set out to do ,a single Party in charge goes against the norm in such a system ,just like holyrood .

The Snp won the council elections ,the Tory it's all about the referendum campaign basically made little in roads .

Any other interpretation is just spin .

Space Mackerel

Are you a hobo? Are you measuring victory as possession or shots in general direction of the goal.

Ahhhh, the old hobo chat now. Here we go. Do I need to screenshot my FoH subs again from day 1 at ?20 a month?

Face facts, you got absolutely scudded again at the polls and that was under your 1 policy fits all about this referendum. 23%.

Space Mackerel

What about the pro UK party share v pro indy party share?

Oh yeah, because all the other party's received their votes on the possibility of another referendum.

I take it you're still drinking from last night? :lol:

Maroon Sailor

Sturgeons face doesn't agree with her we really won words in the news interviews - she knows she hasn't been up to the job

Sturgeon's face never agrees with anything full stop. So twisted and full of hate about a certain female PM she was never going to be up to the job.

Ahhhh, the old hobo chat now. Here we go. Do I need to screenshot my FoH subs again from day 1 at ?20 a month?

Face facts, you got absolutely scudded again at the polls and that was under your 1 policy fits all about this referendum. 23%.

So what's the pro UK share :)

Oh yeah, because all the other party's received their votes on the possibility of another referendum.

I take it you're still drinking from last night? :lol:

The SNP have made scottish politics about independence due to them not respecting a once in a generation referendum

ToadKiller Dog

It wasn't a referendum it was a council election based on various issues local and national to look at it as a nationalist v unionist split is nonsensical and little relevance to a referendum down the line is plain daft .

Space Mackerel

The fact is that the 2ND place Tory party are further away from the SNP in gap in seat numbers than Labour in 2012 .

The gap has increased .

All we have seen is a realignment of votes from Labour to Tory in the 2ND and 3rd positions .

As for what the SNP have won they will be the largest Party in 19 councils ,will likely run the 4 big cities ,Glasgow with the greens , Edinburgh with labour ,Dundee they can run themselves as they did as a minority in the past .

Be that in coalition but that's what the change to the voting system in 2007 set out to do ,a single Party in charge goes against the norm in such a system ,just like holyrood .

The Snp won the council elections ,the Tory it's all about the referendum campaign basically made little in roads .

Any other interpretation is just spin .

Excellent post.

Shame the rabid Yoons on here still have their Red, white n blue tinted specs on.

1506f3f33cd3c8ddde68df40fa9060ec.jpg

Space Mackerel

Fascinating. Bugger all to do with Dunfermline.

Bugger all to do with NSW either :)

Dusk_Till_Dawn

The bottom line is that the SNP only wins if Scotland becomes independent. It's pointless arguing otherwise. That's all they're interested in.

Bowmans_Boot

Do you honestly believe that the local council elections were all about independence? That was the one and only issue? Well, that was pretty much the Tories entire campaign so I can understand why you would think that.

Also, do you believe that every SNP voter also votes Yes?

Space Mackerel

The SNP have made scottish politics about independence due to them not respecting a once in a generation referendum

By your logic it's tarrrrrrrra Fluffy then?

cc57cf556feaaa4332f4baffc186dafd.jpg

Geoff Kilpatrick

Bugger all to do with NSW either :)

Quite. It's also obvious you need geography lessons.

Nucky Thompson

I noticed Leith and Leith Walk were the only 2 wards in Edinburgh that never elected a Tory councilor.

If you're a Hobo, you're more likely to be a Gnat :winkiss:

Pans Jambo

As I said you can convince yourself. The SNP are just not gettng any popular, unless you are a moron you will see this. SNP simply have to get more popular in order to win indyfail2.

The facts are the facts. The SNP made a modest gain of 6 seats but hey, thats still more than 2012 when they were perceived to be sweeping all before them.

If you look at the number of seats Labour lost versus the tory gains its almost identical.

The electorate have swapped the useless with the shitehawks as a vote against Corbyn whereas the SNP have actually gained. Thems the facts.

Mikey1874

It wasn't a referendum it was a council election based on various issues local and national to look at it as a nationalist v unionist split is nonsensical and little relevance to a referendum down the line is plain daft .

Sadly no

You must have missed Sturgeon making everything about independence

Bowmans_Boot

Sadly no

I think you are mixing her up with Ruth Davidson, no?

ToadKiller Dog

Sadly no

She didn't though did she .

Media spin said she did ,it's Ruth Davidson your thinking of .

jambos are go!

John Curtice saying the SNP performance was 'lacklustre' in the The Scotsman today. So there you have it from the great man himself.

Thunderstruck

John Curtice saying the SNP performance was 'lacklustre' in the The Scotsman today. So there you have it from the great man himself.

Watch out for "incoming".

He is about to be branded a "Yoon", "delusional" and "lackey for the MSM".

Space Mackerel

Anything less than 60% of the vote share would be lacklustre to that new MSM mouthpiece. Now we pretty much control all the major cities. Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee. Coupled with Westminster and the Scottish Parliament that sounds fairly lacklustre eh?

Thunderstruck

Anything less than 60% of the vote share would be lacklustre to that new MSM mouthpiece. Now we pretty much control all the major cities. Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee. Coupled with Westminster and the Scottish Parliament that sounds fairly lacklustre eh?

"Pretty much in control" - from, in a couple of cases, having ACTUAL control. Only in your universe can that be a success.

Never mind, post a few pictures. That's less taxing on a mind that is struggling to rationalise the past couple of days.

Space Mackerel

"Pretty much in control" - from, in a couple of cases, having ACTUAL control. Only in your universe can that be a success.

Never mind, post a few pictures. That's less taxing on a mind that is struggling to rationalise the past couple of days.

Ok. Here you go

f969977e2e26df181203412babc12f40.jpg

Maroon Sailor

Ok. Here you gof969977e2e26df181203412babc12f40.jpg

Christ ! She is looking more and more like Merkel every day

Space Mackerel

Here's another one.

8e24daf918c13673546dfb21896e069b.jpg

Thunderstruck

Ok. Here you go

f969977e2e26df181203412babc12f40.jpg

Well done, does that feel better?

Oh, nearly forgot, did they - as they predicted - win Glasgow in a landslide? What is their outright majority?

Ron Burgundy

Wee Krankie will be hanging from the rafters come June 9th.

Her obsessive vision has been crushed.

Happy days.

indianajones

Wee Krankie will be hanging from the rafters come June 9th.

Her obsessive vision has been crushed.

Happy days.

And you are happy with a 'strong and steady' conservative government?

What an absolute shite state of affairs this island is in. Independence can't come quicker.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

ToadKiller Dog

He is correct in that the result was not as good as his polls expected but it was still a win and still a big win for the Snp.

Again under the old fptp system the SNP would have won every Glasgow council seat based on Thursday's vote .

Any other take on it being anything else but a SNP win across Scotland is pure fantasy based not on fact but spin and wishful thinking .

Curtice should be asking why the polls over estimated the Tory support by 8 % UK wide .

I also see the BBC still running with the Feguslie park myth .

Ron Burgundy

And you are happy with a 'strong and steady' conservative government?

What an absolute shite state of affairs this island is in. Independence can't come quicker.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

No. I want the SNP to do what they are elected to do and respect democracy.

Sturgeon is incapable of this.

I despise her and her current regime.

Geoff Kilpatrick

He is correct in that the result was not as good as his polls expected but it was still a win and still a big win for the Snp.

Again under the old fptp system the SNP would have won every Glasgow council seat based on Thursday's vote .

Any other take on it being anything else but a SNP win across Scotland is pure fantasy based not on fact but spin and wishful thinking .

Curtice should be asking why the polls over estimated the Tory support by 8 % UK wide .

I also see the BBC still running with the Feguslie park myth .

Why does this Ferguslie Park thing bother you so much? Malcolm Rifkind was MP for Wester Hailes FFS!

ToadKiller Dog

Why does this Ferguslie Park thing bother you so much? Malcolm Rifkind was MP for Wester Hailes FFS!

Because it's a lie being promoted by the media as evidence that poorer voters in some places have turned to the Tory party which is just not true .

Ferguslie is not a ward it's part of a wider ward which includes a large wealthy area and yet the Tory only got 13% on the first preference and just got in on the 9th count .

The real question should be why the Tory candidate only got 13% in a ward with a high % of what would be classed as middle class votes .

Iys the voting system that got him elected not some surge in Tory support as the media are reporting .

Archived