Cooncil Elections

Gershwin

Who should I be voting for this Thursday to get the ****wits currently in office, out?

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the first time in 30 years, i won't be exercising my democratic right and won't be voting at all. Sick of elections every 5 minutes. Integrity is a forgotten word in politics. And before anyone says that i can't moan about the result, I won't be. I'll just put up a new set of shysters in charge.

Toxteth O'Grady

I don't think I will vote because I don't know who any of the candidates are or what they stand for. Thier comminication has been pathetic

My local councillor is independent. He's been really active in the community and I've seen a lot of positive changes due to his hard work. I'll happily vote for him this election. I'm glad he's independent though as I'm a bit disillusioned with the big parties and currently have no idea who I'll vote for in June.

Mikey1874

Who should I be voting for this Thursday to get the ****wits currently in office, out?

It's an interesting question

Labour and SNP been running Edinburgh

So vote Tory I'd guess

deesidejambo

If you have independent candidates vote for them.

Party politics runs Westminster

Party politics runs Holyrood

Party politics runs Brussels.

**** party politics.   Give independents a chance, at least at local levels.

For the first time in 30 years, i won't be exercising my democratic right and won't be voting at all. Sick of elections every 5 minutes. Integrity is a forgotten word in politics. And before anyone says that i can't moan about the result, I won't be. I'll just put up a new set of shysters in charge.

Surely that is exercising your democratic right. :confused:

Stuart Lyon

Any candidate who is against the Trams and 20MPH speed limit gets my vote.

Green.

Anyone but Tory.

Maroon Sailor

Any candidate who is against the Trams and 20MPH speed limit gets my vote.

I agree about the 20 (keep it for passing schools at start / finish times)

I was driving in a 20 zone last week and some arsehole overtook me. Then I caught up with him at the lights 500 yards up the road so it was even more pointless. Can't remember anybody overtaking me in a 30.

Maroon Sailor

My current councillor is Labour but he does feck all for the part of the ward I live in.

The Treasurer

We usually get half a forest worth of pamphlets and newsletters telling us how great each candidate will be if elected.

This time round not had a single one.

Not complaining, but it would be good to at least know who is actually standing in our area 

Mikey1874

We usually get half a forest worth of pamphlets and newsletters telling us how great each candidate will be if elected.

Not complaining, but it would be good to at least know who is actually standing in our area

I've had the Tory one. Was also discussed on tv on Sunday.

Basically just says vote Tory to stop independence / Indyref2

Hope that helps

deesidejambo

Surely that is exercising your democratic right. :confused:

Better stop spoil the ballot paper. Its the only way to register some sort of protest either against the candidates or the system.    

But not voting at all counts for nothing.

imo

Mikey1874

Better stop spoil the ballot paper. Its the only way to register some sort of protest either against the candidates or the system.

imo

Spoiling paper is a waste of time. Nobody cares.

deesidejambo

Depends on how many people do it. Not voting does give a message of voter apathy- I agree that.

But spoiling a paper gives a message that you do not want any of the candidates to represent you.

Big difference but I get the point that apathy can be measured by the turnout:

imo

Spoiling your paper counts for nothing too. Nobody pays any attention to how it has been spoiled. It just gets dumped in a binned pile with all the ones from people who are too stupid to vote properly.

Mikey1874

Depends on how many people do it. Not voting does give a message of voter apathy- I agree that.

But spoiling a paper gives a message that you do not want any of the candidates to represent you.

Big difference but I get the point that apathy can be measured by the turnout:

Yeah

If hundreds or thousands spoiled their paper it could send a message.

But it's generally just a few. It does end up in the official figures so something to keep an eye on.

Better to campaign for people to vote imo.

Koolkeith

Apart from the labour candidate I've had nothing through my door. Pretty poor. No idea who my other candidates are.

Green.

Anyone but Tory.

A vote for the Greens is a vote for the SNP.  They always belly-up and support them.

A vote for the Greens is a vote for the SNP.  They always belly-up and support them.

Ideal. 2 for 1.

...a bit disco

I don't think I will vote because I don't know who any of the candidates are or what they stand for. Thier comminication has been pathetic

Apart from the labour candidate I've had nothing through my door. Pretty poor. No idea who my other candidates are.

I've battered out about 400 leaflets round my way for the 1st and 2nd choice SNP candidates.

Supports the party and gets me fitter at the same time.

Mikey1874

Had one tory leaflet and nowt else.

It appears 4 from the 7 candidates get elected :muggy:

No indies either unfortunately.

Here's a list of all the candidates if you were wondering who the **** was actually standing!

http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/info/20033/elections_and_voting/1558/who_you_can_vote_for

It's confusing

Think already someone said no party can get a majority in Edinburgh because they don't have enough candidates listed

Must be way they expect things to go

2 independents returning and 1 new SNP fellow already elected in my ward due to lack of opposition so I will not be voting.

Maroon Sailor

Anyone but the SNP or Greens

Same thing aren't they ?

I've had a real problem deciding who gets my vote. Although I'm pro independence SNP are too left wing. As are labour and lib dem in my opinion. However I'm not in the bracket that the tories have my interests at heart either. In my ward the Lib Dem member has been in place for a while and does a good job in the local community so I guess that's the place to put my tick?

Stuart Lyon

HJ so you want a Tory in before Labour - just shows what side of the SNP bed you lie on! :shame: 

HaymarketJambo

HJ so you want a Tory in before Labour - just shows what side of the SNP bed you lie on! :shame: 

Correct in the Council Elections.  

Spitonastranger

Same thing aren't they ?

No they wont bomb people or starve people unlike other parties

Same thing aren't they ?

Looks that way. Sturgeon has her tadger up wee Paddy's shoot and it looks like he's loving it

Quelle surprise

Tory voters are all cee U next tuesdays. Every last one of them. Fact.

Edit: Apologies, I meant to add...No exceptions.

Nice

Anyone but SNP

Spoiling your paper counts for nothing too. Nobody pays any attention to how it has been spoiled. It just gets dumped in a binned pile with all the ones from people who are too stupid to vote properly.

No it's counted. If you don't vote you'll be ignored imo. Better to spoil your ballot.

Young people (18-24) seldom vote in big numbers. If they did the living wage would start at 18, the housing and rental markets would be reformed and things like EMA wouldn't be abolished. By not voting in large numbers an entire segment of the population marginalises its concerns.

Voting or spoiling a ballot registers an opinion.

Apathy is just a reason for politicians to ignore your concerns.

Preferably I'd like a "none of the above" like they have in Australia (I believe they do) and Sweden. But in the meantime go and draw a boaby on it rather than not show up.

Correct in the Council Elections.

Christ... there's more Labour and the SNP and Liberals can agree to work on than the Tories.

Psychedelicropcircle

115DA439-1360-4D43-A778-72F12D9D0389_zps

You saying Last time round I wasted my time?

Psychedelicropcircle

But in the meantime go and draw a boaby on it rather than not show up.

^

Mikey1874

Sadly not now earning you ?000s for top art

You do have the pic though

Dawnrazor

Surley some people have to draw a pair of tits or a ***** on thier ballot paper otherwise some lezza will scream "sexism"?

Ricardo Shillyshally

I'm hoping the labour incumbent round my way gets booted out on her arse. Anyone who pops champagne corks at the death of an old woman can GTF in my book.

Geoff the Mince

After looking at the list of deviants I've decided to vote Tory .

I work at most of the election counts, the spoiled papers are my favourite bit. Especially when they go to adjudication and there's MP's squabbling over whether the penis being on their box means it's a vote for them.

No it's counted. If you don't vote you'll be ignored imo. Better to spoil your ballot.

Young people (18-24) seldom vote in big numbers. If they did the living wage would start at 18, the housing and rental markets would be reformed and things like EMA wouldn't be abolished. By not voting in large numbers an entire segment of the population marginalises its concerns.

Voting or spoiling a ballot registers an opinion.

Apathy is just a reason for politicians to ignore your concerns.

Preferably I'd like a "none of the above" like they have in Australia (I believe they do) and Sweden. But in the meantime go and draw a boaby on it rather than not show up.

It's counted in with those that are spoiled through stupidity. Nobody pays any heed to how it was spoiled. It's utterly futile.

It's counted in with those that are spoiled through stupidity. Nobody pays any heed to how it was spoiled. It's utterly futile.

Don't agree myself. Apathy just results in being ignored. Actual participation, even spoiling a ballot is a democratic act of disgust.

Seymour M Hersh

How's the voting in the council elections working? Is it by candidate or party? Only reason I ask is I've had zero literature about any candidate from any party and there's only 2 days to go.

How's the voting in the council elections working? Is it by candidate or party? Only reason I ask is I've had zero literature about any candidate from any party and there's only 2 days to go.

Your vote is for the candidate and you number you votes in preference, 1,2,3 etc. You can choose to select 1 or you can order them all if that's your wish. That's my understanding of it anyway.

Archived