Cooncil Elections

Gershwin

indianajones

No. I want the SNP to do what they are elected to do and respect democracy.

Sturgeon is incapable of this.

I despise her and her current regime.

It was written clearly before the last election that they could call for another referendum if our status in Europe was compromised. A decision that was then voted for and passed in the Scottish Parliament.

So I'm failing to see how she's not respecting democracy?

I genuinely don't get how people like yourself think the union is a good thing. Our countries mentalities are polar opposite and we as Scots have to just suck up what London say and role with it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Space Mackerel

As opposed to being led away for a shower after independence for being a unionist.

I've telt you already Ron, you'll be quite safe in my attic. I'm a party member so I doubt there will be any checks of my household.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Because it's a lie being promoted by the media as evidence that poorer voters in some places have turned to the Tory party which is just not true .

Ferguslie is not a ward it's part of a wider ward which includes a large wealthy area and yet the Tory only got 13% on the first preference and just got in on the 9th count .

The real question should be why the Tory candidate only got 13% in a ward with a high % of what would be classed as middle class votes .

Iys the voting system that got him elected not some surge in Tory support as the media are reporting .

That's STV. The point is to beat the quota, not win the most votes.

Thunderstruck

It was written clearly before the last election that they could call for another referendum if our status in Europe was compromised. A decision that was then voted for and passed in the Scottish Parliament.

I genuinely don't get how people like yourself think the union is a good thing. Our countries mentalities are polar opposite and we as Scots have to just suck up what London say and role with it.

I think the reason that the Nats are out in force on here this morning trying to rationalise the last couple of days is that it is becoming clearer by the day that the "Will of the Scottish Parliament" does not match the "Will of the Scottish People".

Nothing that has been said or done since 2014 has moved support for independence by any measurably consistent amount. Instead, we are seeing signs of a weariness with it all.

Space Mackerel

Out in force today to combat the MSM spin that's infected all your wee brains.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Out in force today to combat the MSM spin that's infected all your wee brains.

:wtfvlad:

Ron Burgundy

By saying people like me do you mean the majority of Scots?

I don't get nationalism.

It's a very dangerous first step IMO especially as there seems no economic argument for it only a xenophobic one.

ToadKiller Dog

That's STV. The point is to beat the quota, not win the most votes.

I understand the system , it's the misrepresenting of the truth that annoys .

Ron Burgundy

I've telt you already Ron, you'll be quite safe in my attic. I'm a party member so I doubt there will be any checks of my household.

Id imagine your attic will be similar to that Belgian nutters basement in terms of content.

Geoff Kilpatrick

I understand the system , it's the misrepresenting of the truth that annoys .

It's as big a misrepresentation as the old "no Tories in Scotland" line.

ToadKiller Dog

Update from Craig Murray. Torys got 26% of the vote.

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2017/05/which-is-the-charlatan/

As in the Thick of it writer said ,opinion polls are used to influence people's thinking and should not be seen as evidence of people's intentions .

To much time is taken in the modern political discourse pouring over opinion polls rather than discussing policy and reality .

ToadKiller Dog

It's as big a misrepresentation of the old "no Tories in Scotland" line.

Agree .

Toxteth O'Grady

If anything this shows the core to be truer to Labour.

The rest have gone SNP and Tory for constitutional reasons. Hangers on have fled.

The so called core is much smaller than it used to be then. That can't be a good thing for the party. The fact that many labour voters have switched to conservative is something that I could never have imagined 20 years ago.

Labour have lost their way trying to please too many different kinds of voters.

Trapper John McIntyre

No one has pointed out that the Tories fielded a lot less candidates on Thursday than the SNP or Labour and yet so many of them won on the first round.

Makes you wonder how many more they would have if they had two instead of one candidate on ballot papers.

Space Mackerel

As in the Thick of it writer said ,opinion polls are used to influence people's thinking and should not be seen as evidence of people's intentions .

To much time is taken in the modern political discourse pouring over opinion polls rather than discussing policy and reality .

Yep I agree, politicians announce policy, look at the polls and then modify/change policy/rhetoric to increase their votes.

No idea where Ruth goes from here though with the GE not long away.

markphmfc

cosmic carp and Pans piper come across as extremists whod be happy to vest up in the name of the cause.

Ron Burgundy

cosmic carp and Pans piper come across as extremists whod be happy to vest up in the name of the cause.

Throw in Ozzie Aitch.

Their dreams are crumbling.

That makes them dangerous.

Space Mackerel

Vested up for the British state a few times. Oh how times change with a little bit knowledge, wisdom and age.

Ron Burgundy

Vested up for the British state a few times. Oh how times change with a little bit knowledge, wisdom and age.

Worlds worst suicide bomber alert.

Space Mackerel

Worlds worst suicide bomber alert.

Lol! See you the morn for a pint or 2 after the game ya *****! [emoji23]

Spoiling paper is a waste of time. Nobody cares.

It depends what message you write on it. At the count all the candidates are round the spoiled ballot papers like flies round shit, in the hope that they can argue the

Vote was for them.

Ron Burgundy

Lol! See you the morn for a pint or 2 after the game ya *****! [emoji23]

Be in after only, not before.

No one has pointed out that the Tories fielded a lot less candidates on Thursday than the SNP or Labour and yet so many of them won on the first round.

Makes you wonder how many more they would have if they had two instead of one candidate on ballot papers.

Probably very little difference. In Midlothian for example, all the wards except one returned 1 Tory, 1 SNP and 1 Labour. The second choice vote is of very little value to make much of a difference unless you're in a real stronghold of a particular party.

Roxy Hearts

As I said you can convince yourself. The SNP are just not gettng any popular, unless you are a moron you will see this. SNP simply have to get more popular in order to win indyfail2.

Indy is not about the SNP.

Space Mackerel

Oh, to follow on from the super dooper Paisley result for the Torys, looks like there were 2 John McIntyres in the ballot and some voters got confused.

Well I never...

d101fb849efa4b95f2c4031a2bc4f07a.jpg

Thunderstruck

Oh, to follow on from the super dooper Paisley result for the Torys, looks like there were 2 John McIntyres in the ballot and some voters got confused.

Well I never...

Two McLarens, two Williams and two McIntyres all in one ward yet only one caused confusion. Is someone bitter perhaps.

Looking at the results, there is also a Tory in Linwood after "Thatcher closing the car plant in that town". Times, they really are a-changin'

deesidejambo

The Nats fielded 650 to the Tories 380, hence its no surprise that they would get more by fielding two candidates per Ward under STV.

But in terms of Indy all that matters will be the percentage vote share of first preference votes. If they reflect the GM Poll results then SNP will get around 40%.

And that sinks Indy. Again.

Space Mackerel

The Nats fielded 650 to the Tories 380, hence its no surprise that they would get more by fielding two candidates per Ward under STV.

But in terms of Indy all that matters will be the percentage vote share of first preference votes. If they reflect the GM Poll results then SNP will get around 40%.

And that sinks Indy. Again.

What happened to your 33%?

It's now only 26% tops as I predicted a week ago, think I was generous giving you 27.

Oh, I do believe the combined total Labour and Tory votes don't surpass the SNP?

Still want to go ahead with the referendum? [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It's now only 26% tops as I predicted a week ago, think I was generous giving you 27.

Oh, I do believe the combined total Labour and Tory votes don't surpass the SNP?

I thought this election wasn't about independence as your fellow nats keep telling us

kingantti1874

The fact is that the 2ND place Tory party are further away from the SNP in gap in seat numbers than Labour in 2012 .

The gap has increased .

All we have seen is a realignment of votes from Labour to Tory in the 2ND and 3rd positions .

As for what the SNP have won they will be the largest Party in 19 councils ,will likely run the 4 big cities ,Glasgow with the greens , Edinburgh with labour ,Dundee they can run themselves as they did as a minority in the past .

Be that in coalition but that's what the change to the voting system in 2007 set out to do ,a single Party in charge goes against the norm in such a system ,just like holyrood .

The Snp won the council elections ,the Tory it's all about the referendum campaign basically made little in roads .

Any other interpretation is just spin .

Your last paragraph..Are you trying to tel me people vote for their record in office.. You've got to be ****ing kidding me. That's hilarious. Sturgeon could piss in 45% of the populations cornflakes and they'd still vote SNP.. They are about one thing and one thing only.. What did you expect to happen after years of shit.. People have given them a chance to govern, have given them a chance to do the day job.. But they've made it all about independence and failed to do the day job.. Every small victory claimed as some sort of ****ing mandate for indy..

ToadKiller Dog

Well I never...

That's Just a distraction , the truth is feguslie park makes up about a third of the Paisley north west ward ,which on the whole is a relatively prosperous ward .

The Tory party candidate was elected with just 13% of the first preference and on the 8th or 9th count .

That is how STV works .

The question should be why did the Tory's only get 13% in a ward with a high % of mid level voters and the SNP 40 % .

Hate to labour the point .

There was no surge in Tory votes what there was ,was a move of some labour voters to Tory and a low turnout in which a higher % of Tory voters turned out

The Tory vote has maxed and will be much the same in 4 weeks .

As for the two candidates to one as somebody pointed out its not really important unless you are totally dominant in the ward .

It could be argued that the Tories only having one candidate helped them secure seats in certain wards .

It's the way STV works .

What helped the Tory May well have been that many voters are still under the impression that you only have to vote 1 and 2 for the party of your choice .

Again the SNP won this election and won it by a large margin maybe not as big as they expected ,and the result is not really comparable with the result of a future referendum or even the GE in 4 weeks .

To suggest a victory for unionism or the Tory party from Thursday is just ridiculous fantasy it's like claiming that Aberdeen won the SPFL .

Mikey1874

"Pretty much in control" - from, in a couple of cases, having ACTUAL control. Only in your universe can that be a success.

Never mind, post a few pictures. That's less taxing on a mind that is struggling to rationalise the past couple of days.

Any government claiming new roads are a success when poverty is rising and education standards are questioned tells you a lot.

Space Mackerel

I thought this election wasn't about independence as your fellow nats keep telling us

Ruth, Kezia, wee Wullie R, you, Deeside, Thundergob, i8hobo were adamant that this was a time to send a message to the SNP, none of us were saying this message.

All that's happened is the Yoons have re-arranged the deck chairs on the ship. Nothing more, nothing less.

26 percent and you've maxed out you're core Tory voters.

Mikey1874

So who's controlling Edinburgh council now?

The two chumps I voted 1 and 2 didn't get near the chamber :lol:

Remains to be seen. Numbers don't add up just now. SNP likely be leading some sort of coalition maybe with Labour and Greens.

Bowmans_Boot

It wasnt. It was Ruth Davidson who didn't have any policies to promote and so went for a very negative campaign. No great surprise, however.

Any government claiming new roads are a success when poverty is rising and education standards are questioned tells you a lot.

Don't forget the Gaelic road signs.

Mikey1874

The SNP have made scottish politics about independence due to them not respecting a once in a generation referendum

Yes. People can say this was about local areas. But it's forced opposition to adopt anti-independence stance.

Respect the result and we can move on.

Get your 60% consistently then fair enough go again.

It wasnt. It was Ruth Davidson who didn't have any policies to promote and so went for a very negative campaign. No great surprise, however.

Tell that to your fellow nats. Policies?! What snp policies are there ? Eh Independence... State guardian....

Space Mackerel

You mean they've addressed the country's infrastructure issues head on. That means it cuts business costs and therefore increases productivity and then profits. Profits in turn lead back into investment which creates wealth and ends poverty.

That what you mean?

Sturgeon nails it:

The Tories? share of the vote in Scotland was no better than Labour?s in England, which was regarded as a ?disaster? for Jeremy Corbyn, the first minister said.

Bowmans_Boot

Tell that to your fellow nats. Policies?! What snp policies are there ? Eh Independence... State guardian....

Personally,I dont vote SNP just because of independence.

There are also lots of SNP voters who dont vote for independence, which sort of blows your theory away.

deesidejambo

. Silly Spacey.

To get the correct percentage you would remove the Independent votes then calculate the percentageon a party basis.

Did you do that?

No.

Bowmans_Boot

Sturgeon nails it:

The Tories? share of the vote in Scotland was no better than Labour?s in England, which was regarded as a ?disaster? for Jeremy Corbyn, the first minister said.

Yep: the super triumphant, all conquering Tories performed worse than the shockingly poor, embarrassingly humiliated Labour. Hmmmmm....

Mikey1874

John Curtice saying the SNP performance was 'lacklustre' in the The Scotsman today. So there you have it from the great man himself.

Here's a summary of John Curtice's points

"However brave a face Nicola Sturgeon puts on the performance of her party there can be little doubt the outcome came as a considerable disappointment...the party has found itself treading water with no more seats than it won 5 years ago Glasgow apart..."

Talks about whether Indyref2 should be abandoned. Opponents say this is message of voter. But John Curtice says First Minister can turn this to her advantage. 1. Delaying vote to after May 2021 as Teresa May said is more risky with general election in 2022. 2. "the Tory revival in Scotland might persuade the Prime Minister that unionists would win a second referendum more convincingly and thus finally put the issue to bed"

Radio Ga Ga

Meanwhile in Sturgeons patch

Space Mackerel

. Silly Spacey.

To get the correct percentage you would remove the Independent votes then calculate the percentageon a party basis.

Did you do that?

No.

Being thick C, D, E types of underclass voters as you imagine, I wonder what the final number of SNP votes might have been if you added in the spoilt papers.

deesidejambo

Being thick C, D, E types of underclass voters as you imagine, I wonder what the final number of SNP votes might have been if you added in the spoilt papers.

So you think anyone who spoils a paper must be an SNP voter? Strange.

It matters not what percentage the Tories get. It can be zero for all I care. But you seem scared about it,

What matters wrt Indy is what percentage the SNP get. And it will be nowhere near 50%. A pint on it.

Archived