General Election

Don Dan

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Francis Albert

Sorry, I remember Alex Salmond purring like on overfed cat after the Brexit vote and Nicola immediately talking about a second referendum being highly likely. To be fair much of the press here and abroad also leapt to the conclusion that the Brexit vote was a boost to the independence movement. In the States it is still repeated as a "fact" despite all evidence to the contrary from polls and real votes. The facts were and are that Brexit makes independence a much more difficult step than it was, threatening Scotland's trading relationship with its major trading partner withy whom its economy is intimately bound. Before Brexit independence with both Scotland and rUK remaining in the EU was, to coin a phrase, soft independence - not a lot in terms of the economic and trading environment would have changed. As for the proposals to keep Scotland in the EU while rUK left, that was the stuff of fantasy, which I have no doubt Nicola was told during her fruitless post- Ref1 beauty parade round Brussels and other European capitals, though perhaps too politely for her to understand. The SNP's reaction to Brexit is almost on a par with May's decision to call an election in terms of political ineptitude.

Sorry I meant post Brexit vote beauty parade, though charm offensive would have been a better description.

Psychedelicropcircle

Right here^^^^^adverts to join the lib dums...wtf is that about?

I've been wondering if the Maygomaniac would be pushed out, she's certainly not going to leave!

IMO she'll hold court on the ground of, if you want me out & have to have a new GE on which you could not only loose your seat or even worse a Labour gov lead by corbyn!!!

To summarise the Tory party fear the Labour Party

Nookie Bear

In general there's something a bit weird about the voting for the Tories because of zealous hostility to a referendum they insist with absolute conviction would fail.

So why not have one? Why not have the thing settled once and for all? Why deny others the democratic choice?

Strange. That's the cult of Scottish politics.

We have had a referendum.

It was settled once and for all, supposedly.

ToadKiller Dog

Doh!! Maybot released a statement on an agreement reached with the DUP mentalists way to early before an agreement is even made . Strong and Stable .

Geoff Kilpatrick

Doh!! Maybot released a statement on an agreement reached with the DUP mentalists way to early before an agreement is even made . Strong and Stable .

Snarlene making her sweat is quite funny.

look at the results mate

that's the Voting system we have

SNP by far the largest Party

Saw a statistic that 6 most marginal SNP results from Thursday mean there's 635 votes between the SNP's majority and not in Westminster seats. Out of that 4 are Labour, 1 Tory and 1 LibDem.

That's knife edge stuff.

Fair play on the seats tally but there's nkt much left in it. And if the Survation poll today is anything to go on that coukd now bring more seats into play.

Sunday papers reporting 5 Tory Spiv ministers trying to persuade Boris to stand against Maybot , he at the moment says he is backing her .

I expect we may see a stalking horse challenge coming up soon .

And an October election.

Michael Fallon is on Andrew Marr. Marr is asking all the right, hard hitting questions. Fallon is giving all the expected non-answers. Marr's simply letting it all pass though. Why even bother?

Michael Fallon is on Andrew Marr. Marr is asking all the right, hard hitting questions. Fallon is giving all the expected non-answers. Marr's simply letting it all pass though. Why even bother?

He's not in the same League as Paxman or Andrew Niel, seems to give most people an easier time than other interviewers.

He's not in the same League as Paxman or Andrew Niel, seems to give most people an easier time than other interviewers.

I suppose the questions being asked is something anyway. Not that a wider UK public are still blissfully ignorant about the very real problems of this rancid wee arrangement. They're not. Hundreds of thousands... millions even, are finding out for themselves.

I suppose the questions being asked is something anyway. Not that a wider UK public are still blissfully ignorant about the very real problems of this rancid wee arrangement. They're not. Hundreds of thousands... millions even, are finding out for themselves.

Just seen the Corbyn interview, who ever is managing him has done a tremendous job, always seem to come over as a real decent bloke, I watched him at a rally before the election and he looked like a rabbid leftie from the 70's, not sure what one to believe??!!

Just seen the Corbyn interview, who ever is managing him has done a tremendous job, always seem to come over as a real decent bloke, I watched him at a rally before the election and he looked like a rabbid leftie from the 70's, not sure what one to believe??!!

He's just more relaxed and secure after his Labour Party election wins, the failures of the PLP traitors to sabotage their own party and the ongoing rise of his legitimacy. I'm sure he's grown to get used to the media frenzy as well. He struggled with that before.

But the easy going manner is authentic. That can't be acted.

Jambo-Jimbo

Saw a statistic that 6 most marginal SNP results from Thursday mean there's 635 votes between the SNP's majority and not in Westminster seats. Out of that 4 are Labour, 1 Tory and 1 LibDem.

That's knife edge stuff.

Fair play on the seats tally but there's nkt much left in it. And if the Survation poll today is anything to go on that coukd now bring more seats into play.

But everything is rosy in the garden as the SNP are still the largest party.

The SNP have haemorrhaged votes and lost seats in the last 3 elections in Scotland (Scottish Parliament, Councils & the GE) but everything is fine because the SNP is still the largest party.

The warning signs are there for all to see, and my advice to the SNP would be, ignore them at your peril.

Majority of Scots despise the Tories but here we are. Indy would have solved that wee problem.

Voting labour a far better option.

kingantti1874

I'd say the SNP will be more wary of a labour revival than the Tory one.. Which if Labour prove to be an effective opposition will be short lived.. Glad to see SNP failures in government are now being exposed.

Anna Soubry talking sense. That Tory Brexit vision has a lot in common with Jeremy Corbyn's position.

But everything is rosy in the garden as the SNP are still the largest party.

The SNP have haemorrhaged votes and lost seats in the last 3 elections in Scotland (Scottish Parliament, Councils & the GE) but everything is fine because the SNP is still the largest party.

The warning signs are there for all to see, and my advice to the SNP would be, ignore them at your peril.

Ah, the grandeur of delusion.

Yeah, could be a BBC conspiracy. More likely the political story of the moment is the collapse of The Tory majority, the proposed alliance with the old testament bible bashers and whether that can survive more than a few days. We need the right wing to explain themselves. They're unable to do that and it's good viewing. I thought Jeremy performed well given the opportunity.

That's knife edge stuff.

Thats correct.

Fife N/E 2 votes.

Perth & North Perthshire 20 votes

Glasgow S/W 60 votes

Glasgow E 75 votes

Airdrie & Shotts 200 votes

Lanark & Hamilton East 260 votes

There were also sub 300 votes in seats that went to other parties that you should take into consideration (if taking the last two on that list into account).

Stirling 150 votes (conservative)

Kirkcaldy & Cowdenbeath 260 votes (labour)

Rutherglen & Hamilton West 270 (labour)

SNP clearly have a lot of work to do to gain confidence again though.

*was just a quick browse over the results so numbers are rounded for ease*

manaliveits105

Sturgeon should go then the Gnats should pick a leader this time who doesnt have a fishy name like the last two .

Sturgeon should go then the Gnats should pick a leader this time who doesnt have a fishy name like the last two .

"Don't tell them your name, Pike!"

Thats correct.

Fife N/E 2 votes.

Perth & North Perthshire 20 votes

Glasgow S/W 60 votes

Glasgow E 75 votes

Airdrie & Shotts 200 votes

Lanark & Hamilton East 260 votes

There were also sub 300 votes in seats that went to other parties that you should take into consideration (if taking the last two on that list into account).

Stirling 150 votes (conservative)

Kirkcaldy & Cowdenbeath 260 votes (labour)

Rutherglen & Hamilton West 270 (labour)

SNP clearly have a lot of work to do to gain confidence again though.

*was just a quick browse over the results so numbers are rounded for ease*

To show how narrow this is overall, a swing (uniform of course) of 1.6% makes Labour the largest party. 3.6% a majority.

The idea of a second election should warm the hearts of Labour members if May falls from office. Hate sound a rabib Yes supporter but - all we need is one final push.

The never-to-be-settled Tory Party internal disunity over Brexit is going to be a major obstacle in the way of them removing May and/or another election. One half will never accept a remainer like Hammond taking over and the other half will be not be happy with a leaver like BoJo. May was supposed to be the Brexit everywoman who could transcend the divide and deliver some version of Brexit and subsequent set of deals. They didn't bargain on May ceasing to be the practical executive and fancying herself as the sole executive. The Tories cannot afford to leave May in place to face another election. Neither can they easily replace her to execute Brexit.

All roads lead to Gorgie

That's a load of Codswallop. :sunny: 

Bazzas right boot

So because SLAB have more in common with the SNP they shouldn't be attacking the SNP, is that what your saying.

Next you'll be wanting SLAB not to stand against the SNP in certain seats.

Tbh, that's exactly what should happen.

Snp Should step aside in seats were labour are first or second and labour Should do the same.

Labour Should also do it all n lib dem seat, and lib dem should do it in con/ lib dem marginals.

It's the obvious things to do.

All Thier policy's are similar with the exception of Indey andd trident.

They won't do it, but given the fact that being in Government is the difference of about ten seats, it makes sense.

ToadKiller Dog

Philip Hammond will be next Tory spiv leader as he will hold the right with the left in the Tory lot together and they will tumble on for as long as they can in power until the polls are better for them ,unless the other parties can force an election soon .

If it's not in the next year Labour will have missed the boat and infighting in Labour will resurface as Blairites like Ian Murray start to feel more confident and the Corbyn effect declines .

Tory spivs want to hold off an reelection at all costs , Labour needs one within a year or 2 at most .

Snp won't want one anytime soon.

Space Mackerel

Yeah, could be a BBC conspiracy. More likely the political story of the moment is the collapse of The Tory majority, the proposed alliance with the old testament bible bashers and whether that can survive more than a few days. We need the right wing to explain themselves. They're unable to do that and it's good viewing. I thought Jeremy performed well given the opportunity.

It's been quite funny the right wing media losing their shit on TV today.

Especially that NI Tory woman on Sophy Ridge, 1 step away from a complete meltdown :lol:

There is a list of reasons why the arrangement with the DUP is dubious and unsustainable. Some or most of them can/will be lived with but there remains one reason why this arrangement should not be allowed to pass without ongoing pressure and scrutiny. The UK government position and duty as the neutral broker in the power sharing process has just been severely compromised beyond any possible explanation. It's grubby, sordid and an absolute afront to the needs of the Northern Irish people. Utterly irresponsible.

All the stuff about abortion and gay marriage is irrelevant in comparison

It's such a betrayal of 30 years of efforts to bring peace to N.Ireland albeit DUP of course support the peace process

Just such an obvious thing not to do

Snp Should step aside in seats were labour are first or second and labour Should do the same.

Labour Should also do it all n lib dem seat, and lib dem should do it in con/ lib dem marginals.

They won't do it, but given the fact that being in Government is the difference of about ten seats, it makes sense.

It's a shambles

I prefer that the option favouring the Conservatives is to go all in behind May and this deal.

Because another election = a Labour government.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I'd say the SNP will be more wary of a labour revival than the Tory one.. Which if Labour prove to be an effective opposition will be short lived.. Glad to see SNP failures in government are now being exposed.

They must be really worried if, as seems likely, another election is called this year. There will be a full scale shift of left wing voters to Labour and some who voted Tory as a protest will switch back as well further boosting Labour. Holyrood rule could be on a shoogly peg with a lot of issues needing tackled otherwise the opposition will pounce. I have supported the SNP since Devolution but I feel the unwillingness to except the outcome of the indy ref is becoming tedious now. We have made our bed and that is it.

I'd love to see GE called for October, but it's not going to happen.

The Tories will limp on. There's no way they'll call it when there's a good chance of losing it. Also, would Labour actually fancy leading the Brexit negs? Let the Tories sort out their mess.

Shame.

All the stuff about abortion and gay marriage is irrelevant in comparison

It's such a betrayal of 30 years of efforts to bring peace to N.Ireland albeit DUP of course support the peace process

Just such an obvious thing not to do

Just driving a steamroller over any notion of a credible power sharing process. Simply saying to the people of Northern Ireland that their fragile political stability means nothing to the UK government.

Tory Party > Northern Ireland peace process.

Empress May > Northern Ireland peace process.

Utter scumbag of a woman. I don't mind admitting I'm not going to be anything other than spewing about this one issue.

Just driving a steamroller over any notion of a credible power sharing process. Simply saying to the people of Northern Ireland that their fragile political stability means nothing to the UK government.

Tory Party > Northern Ireland peace process.

Empress May > Northern Ireland peace process.

Utter scumbag of a woman. I don't mind admitting I'm not going to be anything other than spewing about this one issue.

I await with interest what John Major will have to say about

And of course the Republic of Ireland government

I actually think the UK government need to bring in an external mediator now eg United States to manage the devolved settlement

I await with interest what John Major will have to say about

And of course the Republic of Ireland government

I actually think the UK government need to bring in an external mediator now eg United States to manage the devolved settlement

Another poster has gone to lengths to express his glee at the prospect of a minority party gaining a position of influence and his glee that it annoys others. Fine.

His point, a correct one, is that the votes of that party should stand an equal chance of counting for something as anyone else's vote. Surely that sentiment should be projected to this.. that every UK citizen should expect equality from the UK government in terms of it's duty of care to uphold democracy and security in all of it's agreements and institutions.

That's not happening now.

Sinn Fein could just take their Westminster seats and everything changes.

It seems unlikely now but it could have happened. One other thing they wont do is to sit on their hands and say nothing. You can be certain that some reaction will follow.

I have no truck with Sinn Fein but I certainly do have some sympathy with the position they've now been placed in. Why the hell should Sinn Fein continue to fulfill it's part in the Good Friday Agreement in best faith now?

Michael Fallon earlier as good as confirmed that the terms of the confidence and supply agreement will not be released. It's staying in the brown envelope.

So, if secrecy is the acceptable face of propping up a government, why would one side of the power sharing process expect the absence of secrecy during it's talks with the DUP and UK government?

A replacement honest broker can't just happen on an ad hoc basis. The entire agreement is laid out in treaties that were very long and hard fought between many stakeholders. The ONLY way forward is a fataly compromised process. Vile.

Bazzas right boot

What's quite interesting is that folk question the cost of things like education and the NHS and how it will be funded, but do not question how things like trident and war campaigns will be funded.

Strange world imo.

What's quite interesting is that folk question the cost of things like education and the NHS and how it will be funded, but do not question how things like trident and war campaigns will be funded.

Strange world imo.

Is that not simply because, in general, people see the NHS and education as their top priorities so ask about funding in relation to these rather than what they consider lower priorities : be that Trident, Foreign Aid or any other spend?

The Real Maroonblood

Is that not simply because, in general, people see the NHS and education as their top priorities so ask about funding in relation to these rather than what they consider lower priorities : be that Trident, Foreign Aid or any other spend?

?13 billion is spent on foreign aid which is laughable considering the NHS is struggling.

Jambo-Jimbo

?13 billion is spent on foreign aid which is laughable considering the NHS is struggling.

India gets/got ?186m per year, yet India is able to afford a space programme, but it needs help to feed it's population.

And ?1.3bn has been set aside to help China's elderly, what about helping the UK's elderly first, just imagine what a difference ?1.3bn would make to the elderly care system in the UK.

I have no problem with giving aid to countries which have been hit with natural disasters etc etc, but India and China FFS, they must be laughing their heads off at the gullibility of the British Government.

ToadKiller Dog

India gets/got ?186m per year, yet India is able to afford a space programme, but it needs help to feed it's population.

And ?1.3bn has been set aside to help China's elderly, what about helping the UK's elderly first, just imagine what a difference ?1.3bn would make to the elderly care system in the UK.

I have no problem with giving aid to countries which have been hit with natural disasters etc etc, but India and China FFS, they must be laughing their heads off at the gullibility of the British Government.

How much does China or India invest in the UK business creating jobs etc , if we pull aid money will they pull that .

It's the way capitalism operates .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34542147

I'm certain there'll be benefits to the Chinese deal. Don't ask me what but there will be. I agree though unless there is just cause this foreign aid policy has to be looked at. I don't think UKIPs carpeting the entire programme was right but certainly an review is required.

I'm surprised the Nats haven't been on demanding a Brexit rerun. Or would that be an own goal in terms of independence. May asked for a mandate to take us into these negotiations it's clear she's not been given that, does that mean less people want it now or just don't trust her to deliver. Either way Brexit has disaster written all over it why bother with a "soft" Brexit it doesn't mean anything other than we'll be paying back debt, trading will be more difficult and we may be able to control borders slightly better bit in reality not much will change other than our economy will be so shit no one will want to work here regardless.

The Real Maroonblood

Totally agree.

It really pisses me off.

Would the SNP? I think not.

Jambo-Jimbo

How much does China or India invest in the UK business creating jobs etc , if we pull aid money will they pull that .

It's the way capitalism operates .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34542147

So the more we give them in hand-outs the more they'll invest in the UK, is that how it works?

Just hope Trump doesn't find out or he'll threaten to pull all the American investment which the UK gets from America and doesn't give a cent back in the form of Foreign Aid.

Bazzas right boot

Would the SNP? I think not.

Step aside, unlikely.

But it would make this progressive alliance as it's being called a reality.

Lib dem and labour Should do it down south, tho.

Archived