General Election

Don Dan

Geoff Kilpatrick

No I'm sure the DUP hierarchy and their membership were condemning the violence.

Remind me how big the DUP's Catholic membership is?

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

They were actually.

As for their membership, you'd be better asking what size it is outside of the Free Presbyterian church.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If not the DUP then what other party could the tories do a deal with.....

Lib Dems ruled it out and I doubt the SNP nor the tories would ever agree to do a deal.

I'd expect May is just hanging on now and will resign once the dust settles. I'll give it six months. Her credibility is damaged and she is smart enough to know it.

She'll need to be forced out kicking and screaming. The agenda became obvious with the lightning speed by which things happened post-result. She tore off to see Her Maj as quickly as possible. She set the wheels in motion with the DUP in double quick time. There is much more time to reflect on and contemplate how to proceed in these circumstances. The immediate tearing hurry betrayed only one thing... her desperation to save her own skin. Nobody else was getting a look in regarding what was going to happen. Most crucially from within her own party.

She's desperately trying to get over the line to start the Brexit talks when she'll then insist, for continuity, she must see through.

Utterly vile, self serving witch.

If not the DUP then what other party could the tories do a deal with.....

Lib Dems ruled it out and I doubt the SNP nor the tories would ever agree to do a deal.

Interim arrangement for Brexit. Grand coalition of consent. Still led by the Tories. Much less control for May... therefore a non starter. Some other course had to be rushed down before her own party did morally the right thing.

Bazzas right boot

In regards to indey ref 2 it is happening f the snp want it, it's passed through parliament. A vote against indey was just stupid in this GE.

Westminster can reject it, however they risk

Turning pro devolution folk to a yes.

As per my point it would bring into question the point of a devolved parliament if Westminster can just say gtf.

If she rejects it, it would probably be the catalyst for a big yes movement and ironically allow the snp to go "all in" effectively blaming Westminster for forcing Thier hand as the have undermined the democratic process.

If folk have voted on Indey, I can't get my head round it.

It will happen, just the timing and goal posts to be arranged.

It's like voting snp or lib dem with the purpose to avoid brexit. Pointless, it is happening. Article 30 has been passed.

Bazzas right boot

She'll need to be forced out kicking and screaming. The agenda became obvious with the lightning speed by which things happened post-result. She tore off to see Her Maj as quickly as possible. She set the wheels in motion with the DUP in double quick time. There is much more time to reflect on and contemplate how to proceed in these circumstances. The immediate tearing hurry betrayed only one thing... her desperation to save her own skin. Nobody else was getting a look in regarding what was going to happen. Most crucially from within her own party.

She's desperately trying to get over the line to start the Brexit talks when she'll then insist, for continuity, she must see through.

Utterly vile, self serving witch.

She s a shocker.

I didn't mind big Dave, although I suspect clegg kept him centred, to me he always seemed ok ( for a tory). Like John major, quite central.

May just wants to be written down in history. Hopefully, in October it will be for losing a general election, she couldn't lose only 5 months before.

Cruyff Turn

Equating the DUP and Sinn Fein shows your own ignorance but that's ok.

Maybe you should look at why they are getting the support to get 10 MPs in the first place because clothes peg voting is quite prevalent.

Whatever Geoff.

Mask slipping on a few folk on here leaping to the defence of these knuckle dragging troglodytes.

doctor jambo

Gay marriage and abortion are devolved issues to NI. The idea that the DUPpers would put repeal of gay marriage and repeal of the 67 abortion act on their wishlist is laughable.

The seethe is fantastic though. How dare NI MPs hold the balance of power? Well, GIRUY! It's about time NI wasn't an afterthought. And you can put the blame on Blair for strangling the Ulster Unionists, allowing the DUP to take their votes.

doctor jambo

Gay marriage and abortion are devolved issues to NI. The idea that the DUPpers would put repeal of gay marriage and repeal of the 67 abortion act on their wishlist is laughable.

The seethe is fantastic though. How dare NI MPs hold the balance of power? Well, GIRUY! It's about time NI wasn't an afterthought. And you can put the blame on Blair for strangling the Ulster Unionists, allowing the DUP to take their votes.

[/quote

Reason it's an afterthought is that it's an embarrassing throwback. NI is still struggling to pull onto the last century never mind this one

Harry Potter

Supporting the renewal of Trident.

First time i have never voted pal, would have been lib dems that got in my bit, so i feel less guilty.

Just lost the will for it all now.

ToadKiller Dog

Cameron held secret talks with the DUP in 2015 also when the fears of a hung parliament was at it height .

The Tory spivs divine right to rule fantasy is nothing new .

The DUP mentalists May not actively support terror acts but the don't half like to get their photo taken with hardliners who do or use such figures to help secure their votes .

Still it won't last long Maybot will be gone by August and a GE held in the autumn .

Geoff Kilpatrick

Whatever Geoff.

Mask slipping on a few folk on here leaping to the defence of these knuckle dragging troglodytes.

I'm not leaping to the defence of the DUP. I'm leaping to the defence of the right of people to vote for whom they choose. That's democracy.

Point of info: The only time I've ever voted in Northern Ireland, I voted tactically against the DUP to try and ensure they lost control of Ballymena council. Unfortunately, the SDLP bloke I voted for lost out by 8 votes.

Bazzas right boot

As a side note.

Dugdale Should be launched for urging labour voters to vote Tory.

With the difference being even 4/5 seat swing, when you reflect she might have cost her party? the chance of government.

Snp hold a few more seats lost to the Tories, labour Could have formed a coalition.

Her blindness to anything but indey looks like being a doozy.

Ruth and dugdale must dream about indey, it's all I hear them mention, worked for Ruth, dugdale will claim a victory, but with her comments, the bigger picture is that it's cost labour a chance of government.

Republican Scottish Nationalists on here are desperately struggling with the balance of power resting with Ulster Unionists.

Tr?s funny ?

Republican Scottish Nationalists on here are desperately struggling with the balance of power resting with Ulster Unionists.

Tr?s funny ?

:laugh4: :laugh4: aye, the double standards!!!

Space Mackerel

Precicely. There now appears to be less support for independence and certainly a much more entrenched view against it. The SNP are inextricably tied to the issue of independence so it now stands to reason that the SNP's water table of support will recede. The PR voting system at Holyrood will ensure that Scottish governments for the forseeable future will return to a coalition basis. Independence will now disappear as the dominating and dividing issue and parties will have to return to the day job of running the country.

The devolved parliament and it's PR derived make-up will now return to being the guarantor of the union. It has never and will never be an aide to independence.

I think a few lessons will have been learned.

Whole heartedly agree with this piece.

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2017/06/snp-must-sell-radical-vision-not-just-managerial-competence/

I don't think anyone has a problem with the balance of power lying with a minority party. It's a valid thing. People have outlined their own concerns regarding the party in question.

Nice twisting though. Ignoring the details and misrepresenting the sentiments is very lame.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Theresa May is having lame duck a l'orange for lunch, I hear.

Cruyff Turn

Tr?s funny ?

To try and connote Scottish Nationalism with Irish Republican Nationalism is ridiculous.

To try and connote Scottish Nationalism with Irish Republican Nationalism is ridiculous.

So the fact that it's Ulster Unionists isn't making it more painful for you?

As a side note.

With the difference being even 4/5 seat swing, when you reflect she might have cost her party? the chance of government.

Snp hold a few more seats lost to the Tories, labour Could have formed a coalition.

Ruth and dugdale must dream about indey, it's all I hear them mention, worked for Ruth, dugdale will claim a victory, but with her comments, the bigger picture is that it's cost labour a chance of government.

Have you a link to where dugdale says labour voters must vote tory? Can't find one

Jambo-Jimbo

As a side note.

That just didn't happen, she never said that and the video in question proves it.

She said and as it turned out called it right, that in the Borders & The Highlands the Tories were better placed to defeat the SNP than Labour were, never once did she urge Labour voters to vote Tory, nor even imply infer or even hint at doing so.

The very point that Sturgeon never used that against her during the campaign tells you that it never happened.

Jambo-Jimbo

Have you a link to where dugdale says labour voters must vote tory? Can't find one

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/807559/Kezia-Dugdale-Nicola-Sturgeon-SNP-Scottish-independence-poll-Ruth-Davidson?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+daily-express-news-showbiz+%28Express+%3A%3A+News+%2F+Showbiz+Feed%29

This video is 18 seconds the full video is on youtube and it's over 2 minutes long and gives more details.

Speaking on Sky News, the Scottish politician said: ?The reality is the vast majority of seats across Scotland, it?s only the Labour party that can beat the SNP.

?There are a few differences in the Borders and the Highlands where the Tories might be better placed but right across Scotland?s centre belt, where the vast majority of Scotland?s population lives, the only party that can beat the SNP is the Labour party.?

It is beyond me how some people think she is urging Labour voters to vote Tory?

Tory party has mobilised to sort out their unholy mess. Good on them for doing something at least. May's going to be forced to ditch her advisors and to start including other ministers in decision making. It's this or May being ousted.

At the very least, May's ego is going to take a hammering. At best she might not be able to compromise away from her one woman executive way and will be history.

At least something is happening.

Space Mackerel

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/807559/Kezia-Dugdale-Nicola-Sturgeon-SNP-Scottish-independence-poll-Ruth-Davidson?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+daily-express-news-showbiz+%28Express+%3A%3A+News+%2F+Showbiz+Feed%29

This video is 18 seconds the full video is on youtube and it's over 2 minutes long and gives more details.

Speaking on Sky News, the Scottish politician said: ?The reality is the vast majority of seats across Scotland, it?s only the Labour party that can beat the SNP.

?There are a few differences in the Borders and the Highlands where the Tories might be better placed but right across Scotland?s centre belt, where the vast majority of Scotland?s population lives, the only party that can beat the SNP is the Labour party.?

Apart from Independence, SLAB (Corbyn at least) have more in common with SNP policies than Tory ones.

And if she hadn't attacked the SNP so much, she could've got a preogessice alliance in Westminster. Instead she has got a right wing government about to be propped up by even more right wing Unionists.

Well played Kezia.

Cruyff Turn

So the fact that it's Ulster Unionists isn't making it more painful for you?

Not really. I voted Labour as only Labour could form a Government at WM, not the SNP.

I have no vested interest in the politics of N.Ireland and because I'm a Scottish Nationalist, that doesn't equate as me being against the DUP because I must somehow have a soft spot for Sinn Fein like you have attempted to link the two.

Even Ruth Davidson is against the idea of forming a government with the DUP. They are a bunch of utter lunatics and should never be in a position to dictate to a Government in the UK. Not because they are Unionists but because of their views which are so backward that they wouldn't look out of place in the 18th Century.

Apart from Independence, SLAB (Corbyn at least) have more in common with SNP policies than Tory ones.

And if she hadn't attacked the SNP so much, she could've got a preogessice alliance in Westminster. Instead she has got a right wing government about to be propped up by even more right wing Unionists.

Well played Kezia.

I agree. She chose an easier, lazier way to act in unison as a lesser effective voice alongside Mooth in the ceaseless attack against the big bogeyman referendum. Mooth's far more effective style completely dominated the debate and ensured the lion's share of the vote migration. Labour should have found a distinctly different way of getting their own message across.

Adam Murray

I think a few lessons will have been learned.

Whole heartedly agree with this piece.

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2017/06/snp-must-sell-radical-vision-not-just-managerial-competence/

So let me get this right, the very thing that the Scottish Conservative and Scottish Labour voters were being accused of making this General Election about, Independence, and the very thing that Ruth Davidson and Kezia Dugdale were accused of making this General Election all about, Independence, and the thing that many are saying the SNP lost so many seats, and only returned 36.9% of the Scottish Electorate was Independence, is now the thing that the SNP should have talked about more?

Bazzas right boot

I haven't: got the link, bit. Seen it, someone posted it on Facebook.

Bazzas right boot

Beats me how you can't see that.

She ****ed up whether directly or indirectly her statement and general anti infdy stand helped the con vote.

She never at all helped win the case of the progressive alliance in any way.

Couldn't see the wood from the trees come to mind.

Space Mackerel

So let me get this right, the very thing that the Scottish Conservative and Scottish Labour voters were being accused of making this General Election about, Independence, and the very thing that Ruth Davidson and Kezia Dugdale were accused of making this General Election all about, Independence, and the thing that many are saying the SNP lost so many seats, and only returned 36.9% of the Scottish Electorate was Independence, is now the thing that they should have talked about more?

That's a small part of what he is saying, yep.

Jambo-Jimbo

Well played Kezia.

So because SLAB have more in common with the SNP they shouldn't be attacking the SNP, is that what your saying.

Next you'll be wanting SLAB not to stand against the SNP in certain seats.

ToadKiller Dog

The loss of hardline Labour unionist votes to the Tory spivs was covered by the record level of under 30 voters who voted Labour due to Corbyn progressive plans ,that's what improved the labour vote plus potential independence but not hard independence voters went back to labour for the same reasons ,it wasn't to do with Dugdales no to ref2 ,it was Ruth that mainly hoovered up that vote .

Scottish Labour need to thank Corbyn for their reasonable recovery .

The vote that went back or was new to labour could easily swing to yes on an indie ref .

The indieref was only a part of the drop in SNP vote but who still won bubs landslide of seats .

Space Mackerel

So because SLAB have more in common with the SNP they shouldn't be attacking the SNP, is that what your saying.

Next you'll be wanting SLAB not to stand against the SNP in certain seats.

Isn't it strange that Kezia actively went out to criticise the SNP even though Corbyn has more or less copied these implemented SNP policies down South?

That's a special kind of stupid.

John Gentleman

Tr?s funny ?

Have I missed something? I thought the SNP were/are in favour of retaining the monarchy.

Cruyff Turn

She ****ed up whether directly or indirectly her statement and general anti infdy stand helped the con vote.

100% agree. The SNP ****ed up spectacularly and NS must go along with Derek Mackay, Joanna Cherry and her little cabal of incompetents.

If they never put Indy2 on the table they would never have lost 21 seats and the UK wouldn't be in the position it is in.

If they had waited until the disastrous brexit deal was put to Scotland and it was unfavourable then they could have garnered support across the spectrum at Holyrood.

Space Mackerel

The loss of hardline Labour unionist votes to the Tory spivs was covered by the record level of under 30 voters who voted Labour due to Corbyn progressive plans ,that's what improved the labour vote plus potential independence but not hard independence voters went back to labour for the same reasons ,it wasn't to do with Dugdales no to ref2 ,it was Ruth that mainly hoovered up that vote .

Scottish Labour need to thank Corbyn for their reasonable recovery .

The vote that went back or was new to labour could easily swing to yes on an indie ref .

The indieref was only a part of the drop in SNP vote but who still won bubs landslide of seats .

100% spot on. Thousands of Yes or soft Yes voters jumped ship to Labour because of Corbyn. I even swithered for a day or 2 and I'm a paid up party member.

I think the Yoons on here are getting way ahead of themselves.

jack D and coke

100% agree. The SNP ****ed up spectacularly and NS must go along with Derek Mackay, Joanna Cherry and her little cabal of incompetents.

If they never put Indy2 on the table they would never have lost 21 seats and the UK wouldn't be in the position it is in.

If they had waited until the disastrous brexit deal was put to Scotland and it was unfavourable then they could have garnered support across the spectrum at Holyrood.

:spoton:

Geoff Kilpatrick

May sending a team of negotiators to Belfast to discuss a formal coalition!

:wtf:

Confidence and supply is fine. A formal coalition is mental.

Guess The Crowd

Theresa May was looking at a map of Northern Ireland with her advisers, hoping they would explain which bits would be her strongandstable allies. She saw a large blue bit which she assumed was Tory.

'No' they replied, 'that's Lough Neagh'

Formal coalition with creationist, anti-gay, climate change denying, fundamentalist bible-bashing former terrorist nutters

:rofl:

UK is goosed.

Jambo-Jimbo

Ok take my constituency for example.

Dumfriesshire, Clydesdale & Tweeddale.

In the 2015 election Labour came 3rd some 12,200 votes behind the SNP, whilst the Tories were only 798 votes ahead of the SNP.

Who do you think was better placed to beat the SNP?  Certainly wasn't Labour was it, because they were over 12,000 votes behind the SNP and that is what Dugdale was on about, that in some places the Tories were better placed to beat the SNP.

Anyway if Dugdale was as you claim urging Labour voters to vote Tory so as to keep the SNP out, this constituency would be a prime place to do it, less than 800 votes between the Tories and the SNP, the Tories in real danger of losing this seat, would you not agree?

So it is a tad bit inconvenient then, that in the 2017 election Labour increased their vote by some 391, not much granted but still an increase, so Labour voters can't be accused of voting Tory instead of Labour, especially since the Labour vote increased, and they still came 3rd.

And what happened to the 798 majority the Tories had over the SNP, well that increased to whopping 9,441, indeed the SNP vote collapsed, down over 5000 votes from only 2 years ago.

Every party that stood in this constituency increased their vote from 2015, every party except the SNP, only they lost votes, nobody else.

So if Dugdale was urging Labour voters to vote Tory to stop the SNP, it didn't work in one of the places she mentions in the video right here in the Borders.

MacDonald Jardine

They are to what Sinn Fein are to the other lot.

So don't try and water them down to be anything other than that.

Not Terrorists no but they shouldn't be anywhere near mainstream politics outside of Ulster.

They are nothing like that.

Sinn Fein is/ was the political wing of the IRA.

There is no equivalent organisations linked to the DUP.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Re the DUP coalition.

****ing hell. It's just the latest thing done out of personal interest. Trying everything possible to shore herself up. The dealings with the disgruntled party members is going to be good.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Fiona Hill gone as well.

President May has lost her shields.

I wonder how long the cabinet based, committee decision making will last.. if it even starts.

Space Mackerel

Fiona Hill gone as well.

President May has lost her shields.

This isn't very strong and stable :-/

MacDonald Jardine

Whatever Geoff.

No mask on you certainly.

I suspect there will be very few DUP policies I agree with but that doesn't make them terrorist troglodytes.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Archived