General Election

Don Dan

Maroon Sailor

Sturgeon to reflect on her tantrum errrrrr decision to put Indyref2 on the table

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a younger man I was more into redistribution and tended to look on those above me as having somehow having been given what they had.

Now I'm one of the higher ones I know that I had to work, claw and strive and struggle to get what I have and where I am- as they did.

to have the young 'uns and labour in particular to see me as part of the problem, and that I should be made to give up large chunks of what I worked insanely hard for,

and to NOT pass what I worked for down to my kids,

and to NOT be able to give my kids a leg up that I never had

and to imply that because I am well off I  am somehow NOT working class is feckin offensive

I work incredibly hard,

I was given nothing

I am not some inherited wealth toff landowner

I know my post had been quoted but I'm pretty certain that post holds it's roots in something other than my earlier post.

I've certainly never implied anything you've listed above about anyone, particularly yourself. I've kept reasonably quiet about my own specific political views because that's just the way I am but I enjoy the discussion with people who are happy to inform me of their political views.

I'm not sure how I prompted your post and I actually share a lot of your thoughts and some of the same accusations are thrown at me by people my age and older.

manaliveits105

That speech. :rofl:

Off her head. Out of touch. In denial. Belligerent. Arrogant. Self centred, self legitimising control freakery of the most hair raising kind.

Get some snazzy new clobber and a new set of artistic photographs done dear. Image is everything after all.

But thats Jimmy Krankie for you 

It is wanted

It protects me from southern nutbags of both red and blue persuasions, and we can moderate the excesses of both

Although the parly was set up (vis-a-vis the voting system) to ensure (wrongly as it happened) that no party was likely to have an overwhelming majority, it happened. How does that protect the electorate from the increasingly left wing Scottish Nationalist nutbags?

We love it.  The perennial underachievers.  The national cringe.  The gallant losers.  Just a country of cowards who will always bend a knee towards an Englishman.

Tried explaining the national cringe to the wife, and American friends, they don't get it.  Utter embarrassment.

Wow! Maybe you should lay off the buckfast, throw away your Braveheart DVD........and breathe.

Ivan Drago

Captain Buckethead increased his share of the vote this year. Was only 39750-ish votes behind May in that constitutency.

Next Home Secretary...?

That's Lord Buckethead to you mr Obama

Watt-Zeefuik

I just read Sturgeon's statement and it seemed appropriately cautious and chastened.  TBF to her I think she played her hand correctly in all cases except the massive Labour surge that few saw coming.  In the last few weeks she perhaps should have made a tactical shift and formed an alliance with Corbyn that put indyref2 to bed but agreed on devo-max or some such, but that could just as easily blown up in her face.

The chief reality of the UK is still Brexit and it's still the Tories driving the bus, so from my armchair across the ocean I'm not remotely convinced that indyref2 is permanently off the table.  But it surely took a knock last night.

Jambo 4 Ever

They are dinosaurs. Promote Orangism - wtf

apart from that, is there anything else really all that bad about them?

manaliveits105

Yep Nats are still greetin intae their porridge. Everyone that didn't vote SNP is dumb, stupid, traitorous, Tory lovers. The list goes on. Typical angry wee people with more chips on their shoulders than a McCains factory.

The SNP took a helluva doin last night and it was only there huge leads from 2015 that saved them from even bigger humiliation. 37% share means 63% have spoken and said ram yer Indy ref2.

If wee nippy had concentrated on her day job and did what she was elected to do and that's look after Scotlands health, education, policing, transport etc then she might not be looking at such an embarrassing kick in the baws. Fat Eck certainly said in 2014 it was a once in a generation chance, wee nippy has made sure it's going to be a few generations before it's brought up again. Surely her position is untenable now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:spoton:  Krankie oot 

...a bit disco

What have the Romans ever done for us?

...a bit disco

That's a cracker.

Frank-C1.jpg

When was this a vote on independence?

I certainly didn't vote that way.

This is a smack in the mouth for TM and her hard Brexit stance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Nippy made it a vote about the constitution as soon as she listened to the rabid extremists shouting for Indy since the day after the first referendum. She called for it as soon as the Euro ref and then when article 50 was triggered and the loony extremists have been shouting about it since.

Tick tock ring any bells spacey?

Dry yer eyes TM got skelped so has nippy and her wee band of rabid followers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a younger man I was more into redistribution and tended to look on those above me as having somehow having been given what they had.

Now I'm one of the higher ones I know that I had to work, claw and strive and struggle to get what I have and where I am- as they did.

to have the young 'uns and labour in particular to see me as part of the problem, and that I should be made to give up large chunks of what I worked insanely hard for,

and to NOT pass what I worked for down to my kids,

and to NOT be able to give my kids a leg up that I never had

and to imply that because I am well off I  am somehow NOT working class is feckin offensive

I work incredibly hard,

I was given nothing

I am not some inherited wealth toff landowner

Hear hear! I'm in the same boat. Working class background, fortunately my parents strove despite some hardship, to own their own home back in the fifties.

Yes things are hard for youngsters in terms of housing & jobs, I recall mortgage rates of 18% in the seventies. I've told my kids not to expect a windfall when we die if we have to pay for care. Why should any govt pay for care costs?

Is there a lot of jealousy amidst the young which is misplaced? Some of them want it all, want it now but are not prepared to graft for it.

doctor jambo

Hear hear! I'm in the same boat. Working class background, fortunately my parents strove despite some hardship, to own their own home back in the fifties.

Yes things are hard for youngsters in terms of housing & jobs, I recall mortgage rates of 18% in the seventies. I've told my kids not to expect a windfall when we die if we have to pay for care. Why should any govt pay for care costs?

Is there a lot of jealousy amidst the young which is misplaced? Some of them want it all, want it now but are not prepared to graft for it.

I don't understand why I would not pay for my care from my death assets.

I may survive in a frailty for decades.

The costs are astronomical and as long as my wife is deed, then my "estate" should pay for it.

And if my kids want my assets, they will need to look after me themselves- their choice!

Do you take the money?

Or do you smother him with a pillow?

Rudolf's Mate

Ruth showing she might not be happy with the DUP alliance by tweeting about a speech she gave re Gay Pride (or something along those lines)

Toxteth O'Grady

Thier accents are horrible

Pans Jambo

Perhaps a better question is to ask whether a "free" model like the NHS is sustainable with an ageing population?

That would involve a grown-up debate though.

No foreign wars or nuclear subs. There. Enough money for an NHS hospital to be built in every village in the UK.

...a bit disco

Ruth showing she might not be happy with the DUP alliance by tweeting about a speech she gave re Gay Pride (or something along those lines)

As a Protestant Unionist about to marry an Irish Catholic, here's the Amnesty Pride lecture I gave in Belfast...

I'm not personally concerned about the welfare of the Conservative party. But if I was them, I'd be promoting Ruth Davidson to a national level and getting her involved in Brexit.

She's single handedly defeated Scottish Independence and deserves a top job.

Bowmans_Boot

I'm not personally concerned about the welfare of the Conservative party. But if I was them, I'd be promoting Ruth Davidson to a national level and getting her involved in Brexit.

She's single handedly defeated Scottish Independence and deserves a top job.

Just a wee bit over dramatic. 

JudyJudyJudy

Scot ref as it stands is a no- goer.

Scot ref as a different choice is on the cards.

Yes- country

No- region of UK , special powers.

Put the soft no's and plastic Scots to the test.

This is full in or full out. No safety net of the SNP and the Scottish parliament. No crawling. basically we are a country and walk tall or we are effectively North UK.

Ref 2 has already passed through parliament, its just the timing and the goal posts that have to be set.

SNP should be more ruthless.

In this case there is no grey area ( no extra powers, no mincing about), once the choice has been made that it is it.

Scottish or British, no shite in between.

Only once this happens will we move forward.

A federal system would change this of course and a JC government could change everything.

Completely agree . Well said. SNP need to go for broke 

Just a wee bit over dramatic.

Yeah :)

But some job she's done to be fair to her.

Francis Albert

I had read that. So Soft Brexit = Remain but without representation. Or to answer Space Mackerel's question in another weay, a bit like "Soft Independence" where Scotland remains subject to many rules set by Westminster, only without Westminster MPs.

...a bit disco

Eh?

Monty Python?

No?

jack D and coke

The sad thing is.

The folk that vote tory tactically ( but are actually central/ left) have just handed power to the right.

If 8-10 seats in scotland that had turned Tory had stayed SNP or went to Labour, then Labour SNP could have made the next government.

Instead England an NI will tell us what to do.

In all honesty, Scotland is a skid mark. we deserve to be told what to do, we really are a nation of shite bags.

SNP should throw the gauntlet down and state we will have another referendum, however in the result in a No vote the Scottish parliament should be dissolved and we should take our place in line with the rest of the UK. Afterall this is what we want?

If Scotland was a person it would be an utter ****** and I agree it's a skidmark on the uk where people vote depending on what team they support, we honestly deserve everything coming to us. It's becoming the SNP vs Rangers ffs :cornette:

It would be amusing if the English got pissed off and demanded their own Indy ref and told us to GTF cos you could guarantee they wouldn't shite it.

I agree with this all or nothing referendum too, get it all on the table, if it's a no we fall into line and become a region and shut the **** up for good.

JudyJudyJudy

Like Terry May will give a flyng **** about how the Mooth feels...the Tories are ruthless...pardon the pun...Power hungry 

If Scotland was a person it would be an utter ****** and I agree it's a skidmark on the uk where people vote depending on what team they support, we honestly deserve everything coming to us. It's becoming the SNP vs Rangers ffs :cornette:

It would be amusing if the English got pissed off and demanded their own Indy ref and told us to GTF cos you could guarantee they wouldn't shite it.

I agree with this all or nothing referendum too, get it all on the table, if it's a no we fall into line and become a region and shut the **** up for good.

Whereas in Northern Ireland they vote on the issues and nothing but the issues.

Those are the people who hold sway over the whole country..madness

Seymour M Hersh

The fact is that the SNP and its obsession with pushing for Independence against majority opinion has led to Scotland delivering almost certainly a Tory led UK Government. Take away the 13 Tory seats and a TAX & SPEND then TAX again alliance could have prevailed. Shades of them ushering in the Thatcher era by bringing down a Labour Government.

Ftfy.

What have the Romans ever done for us?

The first 3 lp's were brilliant, Rocket to Russia being my favourite :thumbsup:

Seymour M Hersh

I cant imagine Sinn Fein being overly amused that the DUP now hold the UK government by the nuts.

I can't imagine ever giving a Friar Tuck if they're unamused. They don't even take their seats at Westminster which effectively increases the Conservative majority.

MacDonald Jardine

Some people really don't take electoral setbacks well.

It's people like you who make me fear for an independent Scotland.

There is a Scottish Parliament, and as a result Assemblies in Northern Ireland and Wales, because of the settled will of the Scottish people, promoted by the Scottish Constitutional Convention which consisted of a number of different groups and established by the outcome of the devolution referendum.

You want to throw that away at the same time as your toys leave the pram.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Rudolf's Mate

Like Terry May will give a flyng **** about how the Mooth feels...the Tories are ruthless...pardon the pun...Power hungry

Haha [emoji1303]

Though I'm sure Ruth won't take it lying down [emoji3]

Roxy Hearts

They lost heavily because a lot of people swallowed the "independence is the only issue" nonsense of the unionist parties. A victory for dumbed down, single issue, not analysing/thinking about anything in any detail at all politics.

True. Some of my fellow counrty people make me weep. Got Tories now so the anti indy pro Labour lot can suffer. Great.

jack D and coke

Some people really don't take electoral setbacks well.

It's people like you who make me fear for an independent Scotland.

There is a Scottish Parliament, and as a result Assemblies in Northern Ireland and Wales, because of the settled will of the Scottish people, promoted by the Scottish Constitutional Convention which consisted of a number of different groups and established by the outcome of the devolution referendum.

You want to throw that away at the same time as your toys leave the pram.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'm completely calm. Scotland just gives me a riddy as it continually votes against itself.

The Scottish parliament is an expensive nonsense and it basically needs a put up or shut it down vote. It's caused nothing but strife and ill feeling for years with childish playground politics and squabbling.

All or nothing and end this shite.

Roxy Hearts

We love it. The perennial underachievers. The national cringe. The gallant losers. Just a country of cowards who will always bend a knee towards an Englishman.

Tried explaining the national cringe to the wife, and American friends, they don't get it. Utter embarrassment.

Agreed.

The Mighty Thor

So May jumps in to a deal with the orange terrorists. Sound.

The DUP are a bit like our small resident gaggle of frustrated huns. A thin veneer of respectability barely hiding views and opinions from another age. Push them and they'll revert to bigoted type.

The thought of these flat earth inbreds determining anything to do with this country is morally repugnant.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Bazzas right boot

It's the only way.

Seperate the no indey and the actual pro unionists.

There are only about 20% actual pro indy folk. The majority just CBA with Another referendum and have fears/ insecurities about independence. By throwing down a hard choice, with the consequence of a no vote being us shutting up and falling In Line with no parliament it really solves the ongoing issue either way.

Bowmans_Boot

It's the only way.

Seperate the no indey and the actual pro unionists.

There are only about 20% actual pro indy folk. The majority just CBA with Another referendum and have fears/ insecurities about independence. By throwing down a hard choice, with the consequence of a no vote being us shutting up and falling In Line with no parliament it really solves the ongoing issue either way.

Except it wouldnt "shut us up and fall in line", which you most probably realise.

If Scotland voted No, the Scottish Government was abolished and we "fell in line with Westminster", it wouldnt take long for a new, stronger and more extreme campaign for full independence to start up.

It isnt in human nature to simply sit back and be subservient. But you already know this.

Bazzas right boot

I'm completely calm. Scotland just gives me a riddy as it continually votes against itself.

The Scottish parliament is an expensive nonsense and it basically needs a put up or shut it down vote. It's caused nothing but strife and ill feeling for years with childish playground politics and squabbling.

Has to be.

Bazzas right boot

Except it wouldnt "shut us up and fall in line", which you most probably realise.

If Scotland voted No, the Scottish Government was abolished and we "fell in line with Westminster", it wouldnt take long for a new, stronger and more extreme campaign for full independence to start up.

It isnt in human nature to simply sit back and be subservient. But you already know this.

The movement would collapse

I for one would accept it.

The campaign would be carried on through Westminster.

MacDonald Jardine

The post I quoted was anything but calm. Scotland only votes against itself in the sense that it hasn't voted this time the way you would like in the numbers you would like.

I have not seen one poster on here, including yourself, suggest the abolition of the Scottish Parliament until today. What's changed?

Is it that your dream of it being a step on the road to full independence looks a wee bit further away now?

Most of the strife has come from the SNP agitating.

By the way who is the self loathing cringemaster now?

its what the SNP have done since being voted in, 10 years of sitting back, with a continual moan about westminster.

from the 1st referendum, where they didn't have a clue what would happen post independence, right through the past 10 years, they've never gave a flying about governing, to hell with the country, as long as they can say they got scotlands independence, their sitting that far back their horizontal.

Archived