General Election

Don Dan

Exactly. It could be a progressive tax but perhaps the complications of it has prevented it. A full scale reform of VAT could be phased in over years in order to reduce the cultural shock it could cause. It's just sitting right there crying out to become a much welcome progressive tax... with taxpayer choice built right in.

"Yay! We're getting a new tax!" the people cried. Much jubilation commenced.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Children are a drain on finances, well mine anyway[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct. More help is required. Tax Theresa's Shoes.

Good shout. Basic Rate Tax was 30% well into the 80s although National Insurance was a lot lower then. Maybe Tax & NI could just be merged. Let's face it, the real rates of Tax when you factor NI in are as follows :

Basic : 32%

Upper: 42%

Additional: 47%

I know Pensioners obviously don't pay NI so they could just be taxed at Lower Rates. For working people, NI is collected and spent by the same respective sets of People as Tax so why separate them?

Yes essentially NICS is just tax. It could be merged with Income Tax no problem. The full toolbox of personal taxes could be carefully studied and reformed to a much fairer system.

There's nothing more progressive as providing people with personal control over how much tax to pay. A scale of VAT rates would provide exactly that, as well as encouraging old fashioned prudence.

manaliveits105

So Jimmy Krankies big election policy is to break a private conversation with Kezia then stand with her hands on her hips with her horrible sneery face

I cant recall a more disliked scottish fm and her party will suffer tomorrow

Don't know if been asked already, what has happened to all the polls that are normally on the news channels?

If you think Sturgeon would make that up then please join the queue to have your forehead stamped MUG. Dugdale has previous for suggesting backing for a referendum and the truth of that conversation can only lie one way.

Dugdale is lying through her teeth in her denials.

SwindonJambo

People have to understand that if you want decent infrastructure and services then you have to pay for them. NOTHING is free. Everything is ultimately paid for by the Taxpayer, oddly enough! Taxes are high in Scandinavia but if you' ve ever visited, their infrastructure is the envy of Europe.

With regards to the Winter Fuel Allowance.

Did Mrs May ever disclose the actual amount of capital people had to have to be considered WEALTHY ?

If she uses the model that the DWP use couples with over ?16000 savings are exempt from income related benefits.

If you have ?16000 you are considered "wealthy". Needless to say if you are sick or unemployed using that criteria you are not "wealthy" for very long.

At least Scottish pensioners are exempt from this travesty. Thanks to devolution.

manaliveits105

The point is not did dugdale say it -its Krankies only election input no policies as usual just tories bad dugdale bad

maroonlegions

I agree but it's going to fall a bit short. There are still too many voters who see him as "that idiot" because they've been conditioned to believe so. That's the limit of some voters' attempt at an informed choice.

If people dont want the Tories in then they should vote tactility.  

This site shows which way you should vote on 8th June to prevent the Tories from getting into power again
TACTICAL2017.COM

Christ almighty. May's on C4 News. Doing a really rank Maggie Thatcher impression. What a hideous, rancid creature.

maroonlegions

Christ almighty. May's on C4 News. Doing a really rank Maggie Thatcher impression. What a hideous, rancid creature.

Aye she has some face. lol; 

Corbyn on Sky just now throughing money around, other people's money, like there's no tomorrow. I do hope he's got a really big money tree in his soon to be taxed garden if he gets in.

I think you've been reading too may Tory papers falling in with Lynton Crosby slogans.

There's nothing more progressive as providing people with personal control over how much tax to pay. A scale of VAT rates would provide exactly that, as well as encouraging old fashioned prudence.

VAT is a Tory inspired tax from the 1970s.

Designed to make sure that the poor pay the same as the rich. After all we all need to purchase goods and services.

I'm really surprised to see posters who I thought were on the side of the poor singing it's praises.

The only way to have a fair tax system is through income tax based on an ability to pay.

I think you've been reading too may Tory papers falling in with Lynton Crosby slogans.

Everyone use slogans, haven't you noticed. "To many to mention and to few that mean anything"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Designed to make sure that the poor pay the same as the rich. After all we all need to purchase goods and services.

I'm really surprised to see posters who I thought were on the side of the poor singing it's praises.

The only way to have a fair tax system is through income tax based on an ability to pay.

A wee history lesson required it seems.

Copied below.

VAT is a continental invention. French tax authority apparatchik Maurice Laur? fathered the tax in 1954, although a tax that touched on every stage of the production process was first theorised in Germany a century earlier.

On 1 January 1973 the UK joined the European Economic Community and as a consequence Purchase Tax was replaced by Value Added Tax on 1 April 1973.[5][8][9] The Conservative Chancellor Lord Barber set a single VAT rate (10%) on most goods and services.[5][8][9]

In July 1974, Labour Chancellor Denis Healey reduced the standard rate of VAT from 10% to 8% but introduced a new higher rate of 12.5% for petrol and some luxury goods.[5][8][10] In November 1974, Healey doubled the higher rate of VAT to 25%.[8] Healey reduced the higher rate back to 12.5% in April 1976.[8][10][11]

Have you read past the abbv VAT? We're talking about a reformed, progressive VAT system to provide fairness and choice. A scale of charges based around lower rates for essentials through to higher rates for various types of non essentials.

A wee history lesson required it seems.

Copied below.

VAT is a continental invention. French tax authority apparatchik Maurice Laur? fathered the tax in 1954, although a tax that touched on every stage of the production process was first theorised in Germany a century earlier.

On 1 January 1973 the UK joined the European Economic Community and as a consequence Purchase Tax was replaced by Value Added Tax on 1 April 1973.[5][8][9] The Conservative Chancellor Lord Barber set a single VAT rate (10%) on most goods and services.[5][8][9]

In July 1974, Labour Chancellor Denis Healey reduced the standard rate of VAT from 10% to 8% but introduced a new higher rate of 12.5% for petrol and some luxury goods.[5][8][10] In November 1974, Healey doubled the higher rate of VAT to 25%.[8] Healey reduced the higher rate back to 12.5% in April 1976.[8][10][11]

As I said Tory inspired.

It has a far more detrimental effect on poor people than it does the rich.

As I said Tory inspired.

Try reading it again. It was brought in when we Joined the EU!! It was part of the EU process.

Try reading it again. It was brought in when we Joined the EU!! It was part of the EU process.

But there was a pre-existing purchase tax which sounds rather similar.

But there was a pre-existing purchase tax which sounds rather similar.

To be honest I'm completely sure of the differences. However correct me if I'm wrong, purchase tax is only apply to the end sale. Value Added Tax is applied at every stage of the supply chain right up to the final sale.

Just had the Lib Dem candidate at my door. She reminded me of Alan Patridge's P.A. Edinburgh West

It was just the shock of seeing "most welcome" being used to describe taxes for the first time. Most welcome would be a change in the way we spend the taxes currently raised.

SwindonJambo

To be honest I'm completely sure of the differences. However correct me if I'm wrong, purchase tax is only apply to the end sale. Value Added Tax is applied at every stage of the supply chain right up to the final sale.

Yep. So nothing whatsoever to do with any political party. It was an EEC invention and introduced at the start of the 1st tax year after we, the Irish and the Danes joined on New Year's Day, 1973 to make the EEC up to 9 countries.

I do agree with LuckyDug that it punishes the poor much more than the rich though. The full cost of VAT is ultimately borne by the purchaser of the finished product as up to then VAT inputs can be reclaimed at all the different stages from raw materials to final product.

It was just the shock of seeing "most welcome" being used to describe taxes for the first time. Most welcome would be a change in the way we spend the taxes currently raised.

Most welcome as a progressive replacement of a current regressive status quo. Surely that was obvious.

If you watch the Sturgeon claim again, you can tell without any possible doubt by Dugdale's reaction that she recognised what was being referred to. Her subsequent snash is ****ing diabolical.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Corbyn's spending plans are ludicrous. I'm sorry but there's no other way of looking at it

John Findlay

As I said Tory inspired.

The highest rate was set by a Labour chancellor.

Most welcome as a progressive replacement of a current regressive status quo. Surely that was obvious.

I've already provided the answer to our tax raising problems: Tax Theresa's Shoes.

Think about it, you wouldn't have to replace VAT at all. All you have to do is remove women's shoes from VAT and give them their very own tax rate with a percentage rate above VAT.  We'd be minted.

SwindonJambo

3 separate pollsters now indicating Tory leads of between 8-12% so looks very likely that they will get their increased majority, though not a landslide.

https://mobile.twitter.com/britainelects?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Best odds available on a Tory win 12-1 ON, shortest on Labour 6-1 against

https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-uk-general-election/most-seats

That's depressing. The Tories deserve a bit of pain after the singularly worst campaign ever to have been expelled from Satan's rotten guts.

If you watch the Sturgeon claim again, you can tell without any possible doubt by Dugdale's reaction that she recognised what was being referred to. Her subsequent snash is ******* diabolical.

I'm absolutely no fan of Sturgeon but undoubtedly she caught Dugdale out. Dugdale knew exactly what was being referenced and at no point flatly denied it live on stage. It was only afterwards that the labour spin doctors claimed it was lies.

Sturgeons had that up her sleeve for a long time and timed it perfectly.

I'm absolutely no fan of Sturgeon but undoubtedly she caught Dugdale out. Dugdale knew exactly what was being referenced and at no point flatly denied it live on stage. It was only afterwards that the labour spin doctors claimed it was lies.

Sturgeons had that up her sleeve for a long time and timed it perfectly.

Yep. The payoff is the later denials. Dugdale is now a known, shameless liar.

She is a puppet. During indyref she was a decent politician, held reasonable views and was almost a sensible voice in amongst the noise. She now being worked by Corbyns people and she's not comfortable with any of it.

She is a puppet. During indyref she was a decent politician, held reasonable views and was almost a sensible voice in amongst the noise. She now being worked by Corbyns people and she's not comfortable with any of it.

She's one of many disloyal Labour political/intellectual pygmies who are now realising they've been swamped by the coming of age of Corbyn. She sometimes recites a semi-convincing soundbyte or two but there's nothing else there. Just another plastic ranter.

Seymour M Hersh

One of them is and they're not saying.  Krankie is definitely a clype though. 

One of them is and they're not saying. Krankie is definitely a clype though.

Please. So what?

The other is now shown to be a rank hypocrite.

3 separate pollsters now indicating Tory leads of between 8-12% so looks very likely that they will get their increased majority, though not a landslide.

https://mobile.twitter.com/britainelects?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Best odds available on a Tory win 12-1 ON, shortest on Labour 6-1 against

https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-uk-general-election/most-seats

Well knock me over with a feather.

These earlier opinion polls were all about getting the Tory vote to turn out. Putting the frighteners on to ensure the Tory vote doesn't get complacent.

The polls are mainly commissioned for the Tory press so these late poll swings to the Tories were predictable.

Well knock me over with a feather.

These earlier opinion polls were all about getting the Tory vote to turn out. Putting the frighteners on to ensure the Tory vote doesn't get complacent.

The polls are mainly commissioned for the Tory press so these late poll swings to the Tories were predictable.

That doesn't make sense. If it was the case why publish these polls the night before the election. Surely leaving them as they were would've ensured the tory voters turned out. Now with these polls published by your logic they'll stay at home now??

I may have missed the chat about this but why was Theresa May hiding in a warehouse in Granton the other day? Shocking decision a few days before election day

Trapper John McIntyre

Please. So what?

The other is now shown to be a rank hypocrite.

You mean like the Great Corbyn who now advocates shoot to kill after disavowing it for years.

We're talking politicians here, mate. Whiter than white is a phrase than can never be used in their line of work....and that's across the board.

I may have missed the chat about this but why was Theresa May hiding in a warehouse in Granton the other day? Shocking decision a few days before election day

The alternative was to expose her to real people.

That wouldn't have ended well.

That doesn't make sense. If it was the case why publish these polls the night before the election. Surely leaving them as they were would've ensured the tory voters turned out. Now with these polls published by your logic they'll stay at home now??

No because the seeds of doubt have been sown.

By adjusting the figures now the pollsters can claim they got the result correct.

I'm very cynical about opinion polls and I never believed the Tories were really 24 pts ahead in the first place.

At least if nothing else the GE gas turned out to be more interesting than expected.

I hope to goodness I'm wrong and Labour do stop the Tories from forming a government but I can't see it. The Tories are scum and don't deserve to win .

You mean like the Great Corbyn who now advocates shoot to kill after disavowing it for years.

Most people have hardened their stance on Terrorism. It's called pragmatism.

Trapper John McIntyre

Most people have hardened their stance on Terrorism. It's called pragmatism.

Or opportunism. And that cuts both ways too.

Archived