General Election

Don Dan

Part of the problem is that the Major Parties have a huge die hard unquestioning cult like support who will vote for them regardless of candidate, Cabinet or Shadow Cabinet Appointees or Policies. There are 650 seats, of which a third max are marginal. The election is decided by a 15-20% buffer zone of floating voters in the middle ground. Everyone else had already made their mind up the minute the election was called.

If the opinion polls turn out to be right, this election will see the reversal of decades of declining support for the two main parties in British politics.  You're looking at 80-81% voting for the Tories and Labour.  The two main parties haven't scored more than 80% of the vote since 1970.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SwindonJambo

If the opinion polls turn out to be right, this election will see the reversal of decades of declining support for the two main parties in British politics.  You're looking at 80-81% voting for the Tories and Labour.  The two main parties haven't scored more than 80% of the vote since 1970.

I've noticed that too. UKIP are disintegrating, having achieved their primary aim and, as a consequence, their own obsolescence.

The big loser is Lib Dem after their 5 years of compromise and coalition with an anonymous leader.

The 2.main parties appear to have picked up pretty much all of the slack.

That is truely toe curling. I actually felt sorry for the interviewer. I wouldn't employ her as a Secretary, let alone the Home Secretary. How on this Earth did she get into Cambridge? She is a rambling, scatterbrained incoherent mess. Was she on something? If Labour do pull off a Miracle on Thursday, she surely has to be consigned to the back benches.

I cannot understand how she gets elected in the first place and she's only Shadow Home Secretary because of Corbyn's loyalty/nepotism.  She had better be ditched if Labour win or JC might have difficulty forming a cabinet.

I cannot understand how she gets elected in the first place and she's only Shadow Home Secretary because of Corbyn's loyalty/nepotism. She had better be ditched if Labour win or JC might have difficulty forming a cabinet.

McDonnell said at the weekend the door is open for anyone to step up or return in either eventuality.

doctor jambo

Would I be right in presuming that the JC tax bomb that would hit everyone earning over ?80k would not hit those in Scotland?

As wee Nick would start hammering into us at ?140k or something.......

Diane 'Russ' Abbott is only still in position because she has been a loyal ally of Corbyn in the face of a lot of extremely disloyal and counter productive resistence from within the PLP. It's an absolute certainty that, should the Labour Party ever take power, she would be fairly quickly shuffled off to a minor brief.

Who needs enemies when you got friends like Diane Abbott :lol:

The Tories get of jail card perhaps.

The Tories get of jail card perhaps.

It's a frightening thought this this imbalance woman is waiting in the wings to take over a very important position.

People are decrying May for her time in office however far worse is on offer from Labour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SwindonJambo

Diane 'Russ' Abbott is only still in position because she has been a loyal ally of Corbyn in the face of a lot of extremely disloyal and counter productive resistence from within the PLP. It's an absolute certainty that, should the Labour Party ever take power, she would be fairly quickly shuffled off to a minor brief.

I hope you're right Vic!  I believe Corbyn and Abbott were an item back in the 80s, during which time they did a motorbike holiday to visit their chums in then Communist East Germany with Abbott riding pillion.  The idea conjures up horrific mental images and I really wish it didn't....

Big time !

Olive branch to some very good MPs who would step up, regardless of the failed coup last year. They're politicians....they'll be lining up.

Meanwhile, May is conducting her campaign in sheds !

Labour should be all over that....she's a goner, regardless of the result.

SwindonJambo

That's actually quite funny Boris - like that one!  You're not usually a copy & paste man though :)

That's actually quite funny Boris - like that one!  You're not usually a copy & paste man though :)

Sometimes something is too funny not to share.

18765998_1350289288395753_37957221423855

Apparently Dianne Abbott is "ill" today so would be taking part in the Radio 4 Woman's Hour debate, seems to be "ill" a bit during this election?

Apparently Dianne Abbott is "ill" today so would be taking part in the Radio 4 Woman's Hour debate, seems to be "ill" a bit during this election?

Thank ****!

Hopefully " ill " after being told she'll be nowhere near the Home Office if Labour get in.

Thank ****!

Away you go Boris, she's got to be worth millions of votes for the Conservative Party, I'd have her on the TV and Radio at every opperchancity!!

A nasty case of foot in mouth!!

Sturgeon last night stumbling and riled without her pals round her even though she's not an MP...Abbott simply a comedy turn...Tim Dim but nice Farron..May's police cuts and U turns...Corbyns stance on terrorism and his Xmas wish list manifesto....The Green Brigade branch of the SNP.....

That's it folks the choice to lead us into the biggest negotiations on the countries future. Good luck to all on Thursday.

New poll showing Scottish voting intentions:
(figures in brackets indicate change since the start of the election race)

SNP 41 (-1)
Tory 26 (-3)

Lab 25 (+6)
Libdems 6 (=)

Ruthie Tank Commander fecking it right up

:jjyay:

Sturgeon last night stumbling and riled without her pals round her even though she's not an MP...Abbott simply a comedy turn...Tim Dim but nice Farron..May's police cuts and U turns...Corbyns stance on terrorism and his Xmas wish list manifesto....The Green Brigade branch of the SNP.....

That's it folks the choice to lead us into the biggest negotiations on the countries future. Good luck to all on Thursday.

That about sums it up ..... I'm voting for Monty Brewster !

Jambos_1874

SNP 41 (-1)

Tory 26 (-3)

Lab 25 (+6)

Libdems 6 (=)

Just what do the Lib Dems need to do to increase their share of the vote!!

SwindonJambo

I find it hard not to be negative and despondent about the utterly rancid choices available.  I wouldn't trust any of them to negotiate a decent Brexit deal.  I still think the Tories will win (due to shambolically weak oppo, nothing to do with their own merits) and then May is walking a tightrope.  I think they'll bin her long before she serves out her term.

SNP 41 (-1)

Tory 26 (-3)

Lab 25 (+6)

Libdems 6 (=)

Nothing to do with Davidson she's actually been relatively impressive in her debates, it's her shambles of a leader who is letting her down. As said above even a win won't save May she'll be lucky to get a weekend break to Brussels never mind go there as PM.

ToadKiller Dog

SNP 41 (-1)

Tory 26 (-3)

Lab 25 (+6)

Libdems 6 (=)

Labour potentially taking a bit back from the Tory Spivs and the SNP .

If only Dugdale had took the approach of her head office and talked policy instead of no never to the referendum and SNP bad there poll ratings in Scotland would be higher .

As I expected SNP squeezed a little in the May V Corbyn battle .

But it is just a poll and the polls seem to be all over the shop .

Going to be about the amount of under 40s that get off their backsides and vote as the pensioners will be out of force and that's the largest group to be conned sorry persuaded by the Tory Spivs ( or the last group that mainly gets its opinions formed by the main stream media ).

Big reason why May wants to control the internet and it's not because of terrorists it's because she and her spivs want to control ideas but I go off at a tangent here .

Labour potentially taking a bit back from the Tory Spivs and the SNP .

If only Dugdale had took the approach of her head office and talked policy instead of no never to the referendum and SNP bad there poll ratings in Scotland would be higher .

As I expected SNP squeezed a little in the May V Corbyn battle .

But it is just a poll and the polls seem to be all over the shop .

Going to be about the amount of under 40s that get off their backsides and vote as the pensioners will be out of force and that's the largest group to be conned sorry persuaded by the Tory Spivs ( or the last group that mainly gets its opinions formed by the main stream media ).

Big reason why May wants to control the internet and it's not because of terrorists it's because she and her spivs want to control ideas but I go off at a tangent here .

To be honest, from watching her interviews it all she seems to get asked. Grant you the lines to it PEBs is a bit of a "eh... aye... chuck it in too".

An increase of say 2/3 MPs would a good haul. It's all about the other 3 getting footholds rather than a total route imo.

The SNP base is shifting from the North East and Perthshire to Glasgow and the West. Which imo is a natural thing as the SNP become more or less based there so Tory gains in rural areas is no great shock to me.

As for SNPBad, i think this was bound to happen. 10 years in office and a few blips of late suggests this would occur. Plus announcing and voting for a second referendum brought that into play big time.

Will be interesting to see how % translate to seats.

Space Mackerel

The SNP are holding up well considering this is very much a two horse race UK General Election, I ma surprised they have not been squeezed a bit more, perhaps shows that there at more hard Yes voters out there than was first thought.

Hopefully if Labour do gain some seats then they are not Blairites and are wanting to be part of Corbyn's vision.

The brexit deal will not be handled by politicians, if that is how you are basing your vote then you are voting over the wrong issues.

Still say the SNP will end up around the 45-46 percent mark.

Just watched May yet again gushing it out in front of a small hand picked audience and repeatedly using the phrases "strong and stable" and "I have always been clear/very clear".  She obviously is working to a script devised by Lynton Crosby and when all else fails she praises herself and asks the audience to compare that with the nasty villain Jeremy Corbyn.

Her negative tactics are unworthy of a stateswoman while her arrogance of canvassing without a costed manifesto are already being reflected in the polls and with a bit of luck will be her undoing on Thursday.  She is simply weak and wobbly and definitely not fit to run the country.  In forthcoming Brexit negotiations she will have to answer questions (which she studiously avoids now) without denegrating the opposition and I fear she would be no more successful than Dodgy Dave (another total Con man) was when he tried to negotiate new terms.  His failure led to a referendum which was unnecessary and which noboby really wanted.  May's failure could have dire consequences.  May cuts police numbers which few agree with and fails to cut immigration numbers which was twice her own party's policy.

Add to that, she claims to be a Unionist but shouts that she claims Corbyn will be having his strings pulled by the Nicola Sturgeon suggests to me that she wants to be divisive if it leads to win but otherwise she's for the union.  I don't know if she knows but NS won't be in the UK parliament.

Just watched May yet again gushing it out in front of a small hand picked audience and repeatedly using the phrases "strong and stable" and "I have always been clear/very clear". She obviously is working to a script devised by Lynton Crosby and when all else fails she praises herself and asks the audience to compare that with the nasty villain Jeremy Corbyn.

Her negative tactics are unworthy of a stateswoman while her arrogance of canvassing without a costed manifesto are already being reflected in the polls and with a bit of luck will be her undoing on Thursday. She is simply weak and wobbly and definitely not fit to run the country. In forthcoming Brexit negotiations she will have to answer questions (which she studiously avoids now) without denegrating the opposition and I fear she would be no more successful than Dodgy Dave (another total Con man) was when he tried to negotiate new terms. His failure led to a referendum which was unnecessary and which noboby really wanted. May's failure could have dire consequences. May cuts police numbers which few agree with and fails to cut immigration numbers which was twice her own party's policy.

Nailed.

Space Mackerel

Alex T kens the score from yesterday's shenanigans.

2030b4b3c9697c54c8423460038ac60b.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

She has just been interviewed and did not accept that police numbers played apart.  She said that she had "protected resources" which suggests she is blaming MI5 and the Police - anybody but her.

Boris however was more blunt/direct in his criticism of the Police and MI5.  So there we have it.  A big boy done it and ran away.

She has just been interviewed and did not accept that police numbers played apart. She said that she had "protected resources" which suggests she is blaming MI5 and the Police - anybody but her.

Boris however was more blunt/direct in his criticism of the Police and MI5. So there we have it. A big boy done it and ran away.

Polls tighten, May under real pressure, Corbyn on the rise and lo and behold who crawls out from under his bus of lies but Boris....nice try but no way will anyone let you into the hot seat!

Pans Jambo

Its looking like May has cooked her goose.

Polls can be and often are incorrect, but it does look like Cameron's Tory majority under May will be A LOT less come Friday morning.

Also looks like the SNP are maybe losing only 2 or 3 seats and a there or thereabouts share of the vote but that will remain to be seen.

There is undoubtedly Labour surge.

Good news for the decent left leaning among us. Bad news if yer an inward looking right wing fud.

Labour/SNP coalition??? Was unthinkable only 2 weeks ago...say your not sure...

Unknown user

Poor taste opportunism, though I agree the cuts should not have happened. Corbyn, on the other hand, has voted against every single piece of Anti Terror legislation since was 1st elected to Parliament 34 years ago and has too much previous for me for being an apologist for all sorts of baddies.

I think May will win, but the Tories will unseat her before she serves a full term. They are much better at getting rid of weak leaders than Labour. In the meantime I hope Labour lick their wounds, discard all vestiges of the Corbyn regime and make themselves credible again, winning enough votes from marginal Tory voters to win overall.

I've said it before, the crappest choice in my voting lifetime.

Can you list some of the anti terror legislation he's voted against in, say, the last ten years?

I have to ask because that sounds so incredibly vague AND negative, it would be remiss to just let it go unchallenged.

I don't claim to know otherwise by the way, but that's a big claim to make and it's fair to ask for it to be backed up I think

Unknown user

To follow my last post I just read up on it, he does indeed have a record of voting against anti terror legislation, his reasoning being that personal rights should not be eroded, particularly in what he sees as kneejerk reactions to atrocities.

Whether I agree or not, I didn't realise that was his stance. He'll definitely lose then.

To follow my last post I just read up on it, he does indeed have a record of voting against anti terror legislation, his reasoning being that personal rights should not be eroded, particularly in what he sees as kneejerk reactions to atrocities.

Whether I agree or not, I didn't realise that was his stance. He'll definitely lose then.

I honestly hope I'm miles from being proved right here but if Corbyn gets in I can see another major attack pretty soon to test his character, it's how these sickos think and if they detect a weakness in him we're in for a terrible time of it. As I say I hope I'm wrong.

deesidejambo

Still say the SNP will end up around the 45-46 percent mark.

I'll go with 39%.   Either way the "landslide" you hope for comes about only because the Unionist parties votes are split leading to fptp handing seats to the SNP.

IndyRef2 here we come then.  Latest poll has Yes at 43%.

Space Mackerel

I honestly hope I'm miles from being proved right here but if Corbyn gets in I can see another major attack pretty soon to test his character, it's how these sickos think and if they detect a weakness in him we're in for a terrible time of it. As I say I hope I'm wrong.

There will be another attack regardless who wins the next GE.

Pans Jambo

I'll go with 39%.   Either way the "landslide" you hope for comes about only because the Unionist parties votes are split leading to fptp handing seats to the SNP.

IndyRef2 here we come then.  Latest poll has Yes at 43%.

43% Yaas. It was 33% when Salmond announced the first one.

I'm really struggling with your logic here. The despicable terror attacks over the past couple of weeks were carried out under Theresa May's Conservative Government and, as it turns out, the attackers were known to the security services as some had travelled to restricted areas and then come back to Britain, under the watch of Theresa May as Home Secretary, and others had been on prime time TV telling everybody what they were going to do, again under Theresa May's watch as Home Secretary or PM. 

Following your logic, the terrorists have already identified a weakness in Theresa May's UK as they are carrying out these despicable acts of terror right now. Which means we must vote her out on Thursday for the good of the security of the country.

They might think we'll be weak under Corbyn but right now they know TM is weak as well as being parsimonius with resources

So if Corbyn wins, and there is an attack, it's Corbyn's fault?

Jeez....

Space Mackerel

Jeez....

I think that's what he was trying to insinuate. :lol:

People think that Islamofascist psychopaths take notice of who the democratically elected representatives are?

:cornette:

gowestjambo

Its looking like May has cooked her goose.

Polls can be and often are incorrect, but it does look like Cameron's Tory majority under May will be A LOT less come Friday morning.

Also looks like the SNP are maybe losing only 2 or 3 seats and a there or thereabouts share of the vote but that will remain to be seen.

There is undoubtedly Labour surge.

Good news for the decent left leaning among us. Bad news if yer an inward looking right wing fud.

Labour/SNP coalition??? Was unthinkable only 2 weeks ago...say your not sure...

This is why the socialists continually fail all over the world. They have people like you.

Have you told Ann Budge that she is an inward looking fud???

Space Mackerel

People think that Islamofascist psychopaths take notice of who the democratically elected representatives are?

:cornette:

They certainly didn't pay much attention to the London Mayor and his faith even though someone linked him the other night (redwatch website) to being a jihadi supporter. :lol:

SwindonJambo

Jeez....

I don't think anyone's saying that but sadly they'd be likely to want to test him for toughness to see how he responds. I personally think he's a very weak leader (with May little better - she'll be binned). He's more defined by what he opposes than supports.  He was an anonymous backbencher for 32 years and frequently voted against his own party. He's more of a Protest Leader and not PM material at all. Imho

Jeez....

Not what I said Boris. Those physically carrying out attacks aren't always the brains behind these operations those who are will try to exploit any weakness in our defence against them. A change of government certainly presents that opportunity, they'll be aware of the public questioning of Corbyns history towards voting against terrorist legislation and will look to test his resolve. I'm not suggesting for a minute May staying in power will have them running scared but they're opportunistic lunatics and this will be seen as an opportunity.

Archived