• Pans Jambo

• JamboX2

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Trapper John McIntyre

What law? Cmon Einstein, spit it out.

'The UK Parliament remains sovereign'  

The Scotland Act 1998

The Scotland Act 1998 made provision for a Scottish government of ministers and a Scottish Parliament to which they would be accountable.

Elections were held on 6 May 1999 and powers previously exercised by the Secretary State for Scotland and other UK ministers were transferred to Scottish ministers on July 1 1999, the same day that the Scottish Parliament was officially convened.

The act does not specify which matters are devolved to the Scottish Parliament, rather it specifies those matters that are reserved to the UK Parliament. Those matters not reserved by the Scotland Act are devolved to the Scottish Parliament. The Scottish Parliament has primary legislative powers, ie the power to pass acts.

The act also created the position of Advocate General for Scotland. The Advocate General is a UK Law Officer and gives legal advice to HM government on Scots law and devolution. The Advocate General also has power to intervene if issues arise as to whether legislation passed by the Scottish Parliament is within its competence.

The passing of the act saw the abolition of the old Scottish Office and the creation of the new Scottish government and Scottish Parliament. In Whitehall, the Scotland Office came into being to assist the Secretary of State for Scotland in his functions and duties.

The Scottish settlement

The establishment of the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish government is provided for in the Scotland Act 1998 (as amended by the Scotland Act 2012). Schedule 5 to the act sets out those matters which are reserved to the UK Parliament. (Note that schedule 5 has been amended since the Scotland Act gained Royal Assent.)

All other issues are deemed to be devolved.

Reserved matters include:

• the constitution
  • foreign affairs
  • defence
  • international development
  • the Civil Service
  • financial and economic matters
  • immigration and nationality
  • misuse of drugs
  • trade and industry
  • aspects of energy regulation (eg electricity, coal, oil and gas and nuclear energy)
  • aspects of transport (eg regulation of air services, rail and international shipping)
  • employment
  • social security
  • abortion, genetics, surrogacy, medicines
  • broadcasting
  • equal opportunities

Consequently devolved matters include:

• health and social work
  • education and training
  • local government and housing
  • justice and policing
  • agriculture, forestry and fisheries
  • the environment
  • tourism, sport and heritage
  • economic development and internal transport

The Scottish Parliament has the power to pass primary legislation, but cannot legislate on reserved matters. Nor by schedule 4 can it amend protected enactments, such as certain articles of the Act of Union. The UK Parliament remains sovereign, but has not knowingly legislated on a devolved matter since devolution without the agreement of the Scottish Parliament.

Edited by Trapper John McIntyre

Space Mackerel

'The UK Parliament remains sovereign'

The Scotland Act 1998

The Scotland Act 1998 made provision for a Scottish government of ministers and a Scottish Parliament to which they would be accountable.

Elections were held on 6 May 1999 and powers previously exercised by the Secretary State for Scotland and other UK ministers were transferred to Scottish ministers on July 1 1999, the same day that the Scottish Parliament was officially convened.

The act does not specify which matters are devolved to the Scottish Parliament, rather it specifies those matters that are reserved to the UK Parliament. Those matters not reserved by the Scotland Act are devolved to the Scottish Parliament. The Scottish Parliament has primary legislative powers, ie the power to pass acts.

The act also created the position of Advocate General for Scotland. The Advocate General is a UK Law Officer and gives legal advice to HM government on Scots law and devolution. The Advocate General also has power to intervene if issues arise as to whether legislation passed by the Scottish Parliament is within its competence.

The passing of the act saw the abolition of the old Scottish Office and the creation of the new Scottish government and Scottish Parliament. In Whitehall, the Scotland Office came into being to assist the Secretary of State for Scotland in his functions and duties.

The Scottish settlement

The establishment of the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish government is provided for in the Scotland Act 1998 (as amended by the Scotland Act 2012). Schedule 5 to the act sets out those matters which are reserved to the UK Parliament. (Note that schedule 5 has been amended since the Scotland Act gained Royal Assent.)

All other issues are deemed to be devolved.

Reserved matters include:

• the constitution
  • foreign affairs
  • defence
  • international development
  • the Civil Service
  • financial and economic matters
  • immigration and nationality
  • misuse of drugs
  • trade and industry
  • aspects of energy regulation (eg electricity, coal, oil and gas and nuclear energy)
  • aspects of transport (eg regulation of air services, rail and international shipping)
  • employment
  • social security
  • abortion, genetics, surrogacy, medicines
  • broadcasting
  • equal opportunities

Consequently devolved matters include:

• health and social work
  • education and training
  • local government and housing
  • justice and policing
  • agriculture, forestry and fisheries
  • the environment
  • tourism, sport and heritage
  • economic development and internal transport
The Scottish Parliament has the power to pass primary legislation, but cannot legislate on reserved matters. Nor by schedule 4 can it amend protected enactments, such as certain articles of the Act of Union. The UK Parliament remains sovereign, but has not knowingly legislated on a devolved matter since devolution without the agreement of the Scottish Parliament.

So what law stops us having Indy Ref 2?

Arnold Rothstein

Looks like you, Austra.., and Thrapper all "love" each other. :lol:

Collectively tired of your drivel is probably more accurate.

Space Mackerel

Collectively tired of your drivel is probably more accurate.

You don't have to open the thread and comment, choice is yours.

Arnold Rothstein

So no law, thanks for the clarification Thrapper.

So what's stopping her? There might not be a specific law but constitutionally she can't just call a referendum. Correct?

Space Mackerel

So what's stopping her? There might not be a specific law but constitutionally she can't just call a referendum. Correct?

We will call the referendum when the times right. Have some patience please. What's the hurry? Getting nervous?

Trapper John McIntyre

She hasn't the bottle and anything other than a referendum sanctioned officially by Westminster is legally worthless.

May is a much harder case than Cameron who naively handed everything over (and the Natz still lost).

Theresa won't be as accomodating.

Arnold Rothstein

We will call the referendum when the times right. Have some patience please. What's the hurry? Getting nervous?

Just a little bored of it if I'm honest. You haven't answered my question either quelle surprise.

Space Mackerel

She hasn't the bottle and anything other than a referendum sanctioned officially by Westminster is legally worthless.

May is a much harder case than Cameron who naively handed everything over (and the Natz still lost).

Theresa won't be as accomodating.

So she's a dictator then?

When does she send in the tanks? :lol:

Trapper John McIntyre

Was this your tweet, Monkey?

mpersonating Sturgeon makes Tracey Ullman a racist apparently. 1f602.png1f602.png1f602.png

C3xc5wzWcAIEf63.jpg
9 replies8 retweets12 likes

Retweet

Arnold Rothstein

What question?

Can NS/SNP just call a referendum? We both know the answer btw, it's just one of us is ignoring it because it doesn't suit our narrative.

Edited by Arnold Rothstein

Space Mackerel

Can NS/SNP jus call a referendum? We both know the answer btw, it's just one of us is ignoring it because it doesn't suit our narrative.

No, it has to be agreed.

But if it was denied then it opens a whole can of worms, surely you can see that? Aren't you glad you live in a democracy?

Trapper John McIntyre

No, it has to be agreed.

But if it was denied then it opens a whole can of worms, surely you can see that? Aren't you glad you live in a democracy?

Are you insinuating that following the rule of law is anti-democratic?

Space Mackerel

Are you insinuating that following the rule of law is anti-democratic?

Still waiting on this concocted law you've made up up in your obviously drunken mind tonight.

Trapper John McIntyre

Still waiting on this concocted law you've made up up in your obviously drunken mind tonight.

That's not nice.

Arnold Rothstein

No, it has to be agreed.

On what basis would it be requested? Do we have a referendum on whether to ask Westminster to sanction a referendum!? How would the SNP know what the appetite for independence was? I don't think it was in their last Holyrood manifesto so I really don't think they democratically have much right to approach Westminster for sanction as and when they please.

Trapper John McIntyre

Anytime you're ready to post this made up law.

Crack on sunshine, we are waiting.

The Scotland Act is made up?

Have you been drinking again?

Edited by Trapper John McIntyre

Space Mackerel

On what basis would it be requested? Do we have a referendum on whether to ask Westminster to sanction a referendum!? How would the SNP know what the appetite for independence was? I don't think it was in their last Holyrood manifesto so I really don't think they democratically have much right to approach Westminster for sanction as and when they please.

Seen this?

d483f1d7ee146b64b10f249efa7fb8f7.jpg

Space Mackerel

The Scotland Act is made up?

Have you been drinking again?

Mind David Cameron coming up and greeting on live tv that Scotland would be an equal partner in the Union just before Indy ref 1?

What's happened pal? Eh?

Mind The Vow [emoji23]

Arnold Rothstein

Seen this?

d483f1d7ee146b64b10f249efa7fb8f7.jpg

You've literally just emphasised my point. Despite having 50% of the vote they still don't have the mandate to call/request a referendum as they didn't campaign on that basis. A vote for the SNP is not a vote for independence but you know that.

Trapper John McIntyre

Mind David Cameron coming up and greeting on live tv that Scotland would be an equal partner in the Union just before Indy ref 1?

What's happened pal? Eh?

Mind The Vow [emoji23]

You mean we're not an equal partner in the Union???

They must like us, I mean look at all the money those nasty English send us in order to keep us in the style in which we've all become accustomed.

Space Mackerel

You've literally just emphasised my point. Despite having 50% of the vote they still don't have the mandate to call/request a referendum as they didn't campaign on that basis. A vote for the SNP is not a vote for independence but you know that.

You mean we're not an equal partner in the Union???

They must like us, I mean look at all the money those nasty English send us in order to keep us in the style in which we've all become accustomed.

Yous both know it's coming, the desperation is there for all to see :lol:

Trapper John McIntyre

We're both sweating.

Arnold Rothstein

If it happens it happens but the SNP and their cronies are a hell of a lot further from convincing the electorate than they think. Complacency from Yes plus further apathy from people on the fence will see it never happens IMO.

Space Mackerel

If it happens it happens but the SNP and their cronies are a hell of a lot further from convincing the electorate than they think. Complacency from Yes plus further apathy from people on the fence will see it never happens IMO.

Tell me, what's wrong with Scotland making its own decisions?

We have a huge amount of natural resources and a educated populous?

I honestly don't see your way of viewing things.

Trapper John McIntyre

Not me. No reason to be. We have Aces, Kings, Queens and ironically Jocks. [emoji4]

Racist epitaph. I'm surprised at you.

Trapper John McIntyre

I thought we did?

I must have missed something (probably the natural resources to get us out of a ?15bn deficit).

Space Mackerel

Racist epitaph. I'm surprised at you.

Racist? :lol:

Did a few years in my younger days in HM Forces, I've lost count the amount of times I've been called a Sweaty (and all in good faith)

What have you done for the UK Thrapper? Posted on here and Twitter? :lol:

Arnold Rothstein

You can't think of any reason why someone might not want to take Scotland out of the UK? Really? I think if you can't see things from the alternative viewpoint at all then that is very very blinkered.

Trapper John McIntyre

Racist? :lol:

Did a few years in my younger days in HM Forces, I've lost count the amount of times I've been called a Sweaty (and all in good faith)

What have you done for the UK Thrapper? Posted on here and Twitter? 

So you're a loyal Brit who has taken an oath to Her Majesty the Queen?

Space Mackerel

You can't think of any reason why someone might not want to take Scotland out of the UK? Really? I think if you can't see things from the alternative viewpoint at all then that is very very blinkered.

Another answer answered with question?

Guess you don't know.

Space Mackerel

So you're a loyal Brit who has taken an oath to Her Majesty the Queen?

I did, when I was a kid. But I've grown up, started thinking for myself now.

So, how come youre such a BritNat? Did you ever progress mentally?

Trapper John McIntyre

I did, when I was a kid. But I've grown up, started thinking for myself now.

So, how come youre such a BritNat? Did you ever progress mentally?

What's a Britnat?

Arnold Rothstein

Another answer answered with question?

Guess you don't know.

Which you've just done yourself.

How about people just not really that bothered about a border at Berwick? Why is the welfare of someone in Glasgow/Dundee/Edinburgh any more important to me than someone in other parts of the UK? I guess I don't see a divide unlike you. Actually I hate needless division at any level.

Space Mackerel

Which you've just done yourself.

How about people just not really that bothered about a border at Berwick? Why is the welfare of someone in Glasgow/Dundee/Edinburgh any more important to me than someone in other parts of the UK? I guess I don't see a divide unlike you. Actually I hate needless division at any level.

One day you'll understand that the politics and aspirations of the parts of UK are different. Until then...

Arnold Rothstein

.............started thinking for myself now..........

Code for 'reading Wings/The National' etc. Edited by Arnold Rothstein