Even More SNP Nonsense

Stuart Lyon

Where's the article that you copied and pasted gone? I read it earlier.

I missed the part at the bottom that said it was copyright and should not be reproduced yadda yadda. Thought it best I get rid before I got into trouble with the powers that be  :10900:

• Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Space Mackerel

• deesidejambo

• Pans Jambo

• JamboX2

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks like they have been saying the same thing since 2014 about there being ?100bn of export. It didn't convince people back then, even when the oil revenue was decent. 

http://frannleach.com/pdfs/140706-01.pdf

Edit: Haha, oh dear it is the same link - so there isn't a new article on FT about this, it's just a 3 year old article

If you actually look at it the oil revenue is not the largest part of it. Oil. That needs to get off our back! Its a bloody millstone! Wish we were more like Northern Ireland in that respect!

Anyway, if it said ?500Bn and it was factually correct it would still not turn the Yoonies heads. The Vow on the other hand...

The BBC analysis you linked isn't BBC analysis, it is from the Scottish Referendum Study, which was born out of the British Election Study. A long running UK wide attempt to look at a great deal of social factors and linking those to a vote - The survey looked for correlation between voters' identities and the way they cast their referendum ballot.

The study's authors are noted in the article by Douglas Fraser as:

It found a strong link on religious affiliation. Some 60% of Protestants voted 'No', while 58% of Catholics voted 'Yes'. Those adherents of the Church of England were 81% for the Union - the strongest correlation of all. However, the research does not indicate that religion was a cause of the way people voted.

So from that in itself despite more protestants voting No and more catholics voting yes, the researchers behind these stats have stated that religion was a cause of the way people voted. If we are to go down that road, why is a presbyterian protestant more likely to vote yes over an anglican or episcopalian protestant (given the full quote says 81% of anglicans voted no)?

So the research you yourself are using explicitly states that it does not indicate that religion was a cause of the way people voted. 

Douglas Fraser states in his closing paragraphs that the SRS: 

...showed a similar gender gap, there was an indication that the youngest voters were pro-union, and there was a split between higher skilled, higher earners and those on lower pay with lower work skill levels.

So... age and a split between higher skilled/higher earners and those with less skills/lower earners. I would suggest that a reading of the SRS report summary and also of the opening paragraphs of the article blows your bigots/religion point out the water in favour of issues of class and social factors:

A breakdown of voting patterns, drawn from a survey of 5,000 Scots conducted soon after the referendum day, runs counter to the widespread belief that there was a clear split between older and young voters, or that higher earners backed the United Kingdom.

It did, however, confirm other polling evidence that women were decisive in the result. While men were 53% for 'Yes', women were 57% for 'No'.

Voters earning more than ?30,000 were found to be evenly split, while those earning less than ?20,000 were 53% for independence.

It was those earning between ?20,000 and ?30,000 who can also be seen as deciding the outcome - voting 'No' by a margin of 56% to 44%.

To me that says: women were decisive by being anti-yes, those earning less than ?20,000 were overwhelmingly pro-yes and the middle class won it for no. 

Given the above quote on religion not being an influencing factor, what is the basis for your bigot point?

It is BBC analysis though. Douglas Fraser offers analysis of figures that the authors did not make. Douglas Fraser works for the BBC.

The article does not blow my point out of the water, it reinforces it. It would be nice to think that we only have a small number of these people who appeared at George Square and in the Press TV documentary unfortunately this is not the case. That's why I made the point that similar views are held at Golf clubs and at coffee mornings. My point is/was that if Nazi saluters and the Rangers supporters are bigots then those who hold similar views are none the less bigoted just because they keep different company and articulate their bigotry in a slightly different way.

This is my experience borne out when I find myself in polite company and people assume that because we have something in common and all appear to be "middle class"  then we all hold the same views on independence. They see this as an opportunity to collectively pressure those who they think might not be fully on board in a similar way to those Rangers fans on the film. Political discussion is frowned upon and alternative views dismissed without consideration. That for me is a good definition of bigotry.

Obviously not all "No" supporters fall into that category

Space Mackerel

Anything in the MSM about the Tory MP begging for forgiveness to the House for making "woof woof" comments yesterday at Oor Tasmina?

What a shower of backward, stuck in the past, old boy stupid cretins.

Anything in the MSM about the Tory MP begging for forgiveness to the House for making "woof woof" comments yesterday at Oor Tasmina?

What a shower of backward, stuck in the past, old boy stupid cretins.

Yes it was fully reported by the BBC, including the apology.   Does that, by your logic, mean it didn't happen?

Space Mackerel

Yes it was fully reported by the BBC, including the apology.   Does that, by your logic, mean it didn't happen?

I don't watch the BBC these days as its a load of utter pish and full of BritNat propaganda :)

I don't watch the BBC these days as its a load of utter pish and full of BritNat propaganda :)

So there we have it.

Don't believe the BBC unless of course it reports something to support Indy, in which case believe it.

And -

Anyone who voted No is a bigot and anyone who voted Yes is not.

I'd say the Indy community may be suffering IQ problems.

So there we have it.

Don't believe the BBC unless of course it reports something to support Indy, in which case believe it.

And -

There is though links between faith and voting patterns.

Are you dismissing decades and more of learned attitudes.

Space Mackerel

So there we have it.

And -

I won't expect you to watch it but here you go all the same. All documented and factually backed up.

It is BBC analysis though. Douglas Fraser offers analysis of figures that the authors did not make. Douglas Fraser works for the BBC.

The article does not blow my point out of the water, it reinforces it. It would be nice to think that we only have a small number of these people who appeared at George Square and in the Press TV documentary unfortunately this is not the case. That's why I made the point that similar views are held at Golf clubs and at coffee mornings. My point is/was that if Nazi saluters and the Rangers supporters are bigots then those who hold similar views are none the less bigoted just because they keep different company and articulate their bigotry in a slightly different way.

This is my experience borne out when I find myself in polite company and people assume that because we have something in common and all appear to be "middle class" then we all hold the same views on independence. They see this as an opportunity to collectively pressure those who they think might not be fully on board in a similar way to those Rangers fans on the film. Political discussion is frowned upon and alternative views dismissed without consideration. That for me is a good definition of bigotry.

I agree that there a core who will never break the union and for the reasons you state.

But how prevalent do you believe that is in percentage of the no vote.

And do you accept that there is a core of voters who would always vote to break up the union because they are irish republican first.

Has the oil price reached $130 a barrel yet, Salmond said it would in the white paper. 

SNP referendum oil figures '13 times higher than reality' New figures published by the Office for Budget Responsibility show the North Sea is only expected to generate ?600 million next year, compared to the SNP's prediction of ?7.9 billion.

Mr Brightside

This is my experience borne out when I find myself in polite company and people assume that because we have something in common and all appear to be "middle class" then we all hold the same views on independence. They see this as an opportunity to collectively pressure those who they think might not be fully on board in a similar way to those Rangers fans on the film. Political discussion is frowned upon and alternative views dismissed without consideration. That for me is a good definition of bigotry.

So, are the Catholics who voted yes bigots?

HaymarketJambo

This is the type of people the SNP allow to become MSP's and let loose on Scotland:

C3hAVcyWYAQteOR.jpg

Maybe the name of Labour Leader Jeremy Corbyn comes to mind.

Remember Gerry Adams and his eval co-hawks and invite by who?        

Don't start that stuff. 

Edited by HaymarketJambo

Trapper John McIntyre

Maybe the name of Labour Leader Jeremy Corbyn comes to mind.

Don't start that stuff. 

Who gives a feck about Corbyn? 

I don't.

But you carry on deflecting. 

AlphonseCapone

This is the type of people the SNP allow to become MSP's and let loose on Scotland:

C3hAVcyWYAQteOR.jpg

Why is it not a surprise you'd be impressed by something so simplistic?

Mr Brightside

That's a bit strange coming from a Labour supporter? Maybe the name of Labour Leader Jeremy Corbyn comes to mind.

Classic whataboutery.

You will find many labour supporters, members MPs and SMPs are openly critical of Corbyn on many issues. This is healthy, having a van on dissent is not healthy.

Space Mackerel

Who gives a feck about Corbyn? 

I don't.

But you carry on deflecting.

Who do you vote for TJM? Cairds oot please.

Trapper John McIntyre

Who do you vote for TJM? Cairds oot please.

Whoever's best placed to rid us of the SNP.

After that I'll be more selective.

Space Mackerel

Whoever's best placed to rid us of the SNP.

After that I'll be more selective.

Enjoy your wasted trip to the ballot box for the next lifetime. :)

Trapper John McIntyre

Enjoy your wasted trip to the ballot box for the next lifetime. :)

I console myself that that will include enjoying life in the Glorious Union of the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland in perpetuity.

Edited by Trapper John McIntyre

Space Mackerel

I console myself that that will include enjoying life in the Glorious Union of the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland in perpetuity.

Have a peek into the future :)

acaafffec125dbb071849e6255a0372d.jpg

HaymarketJambo

Classic whataboutery.

You will find many labour supporters, members MPs and SMPs are openly critical of Corbyn on many issues. This is healthy, having a van on dissent is not healthy.

A lot of Labour member's voted for Corbyn to be re-elected as Labour Leader last year in fact did he not get more votes this time around?

For the record I hope he stay's Labour leader for a long time. 

All these references to ( and drawing parallels with ) Northern Ireland, across the various threads, are, imo, a bit fecking moody.

The more extreme partisan followers on both sides seem desperate to drag it there. Sad.

Space Mackerel

All these references to ( and drawing parallels with ) Northern Ireland, across the various threads, are, imo, a bit fecking moody.

The more extreme partisan followers on both sides seem desperate to drag it there. Sad.

Not both sides, only one side. It's ingrained in their psyche and upbringing sadly.

Trapper John McIntyre

Thankfully, minus the violence.

But you have to admit, that's where we were headed, once the nationalism genie was let out of the bottle.

People's naivete about the scourge of flagwaving is absolutely startling. Any vote for the SNP, whether you're basically for or against independence, is one more step towards their ultimate goal.

Too many useful idiots are helping them along the way.

Starve them of votes and they'll return to the wilderness. Don't whine about further creeping Ulsterisation of Scotland. That was inevitable.

A lot more silent Tories in Scotland now than you may think.

For every action there is a reaction.

But you have to admit, that's where we were headed, once the nationalism genie was let out of the bottle.

People's naivete about the scourge of flagwaving is absolutely startling. Any vote for the SNP, whether you're basically for or against independence, is one more step towards their ultimate goal.

Starve them of votes and they'll return to the wilderness. Don't whine about further creeping Ulsterisation of Scotland. That was inevitable.

Okay then ?

Space Mackerel

Here is your Regimental Blues banner Thrapper, it's a bit Sevco ish to say the least. What's the 5 stars all about likes above?

Are you a Hearts fan? I doubt it.

4c0cf482d29e6970fe78c32fa2e439ca.jpg

Edited by Space Mackerel

Trapper John McIntyre

Here is your Regimental Blues banner Thrapper, it's a bit Sevco ish to say the least.

Are you a Hearts fan? I doubt it.

4c0cf482d29e6970fe78c32fa2e439ca.jpg

Can you actually read?

Or does your gimp Aussie only read out the bits you like?

I agree that there a core who will never break the union and for the reasons you state.

But how prevalent do you believe that is in percentage of the no vote.

And do you accept that there is a core of voters who would always vote to break up the union because they are irish republican first.

Correct - they do exist.  I don't know exactly how prevalent they are or how intensely they hold their views but I do think it was enough to win the vote for "No" so more than 10%.

I do accept that others would love to see the break up of the union but that has little to with republicanism since the SNP support the monarchy. It has little to do with Catholicism either since the catholic church has often advised it's adherents not to vote SNP. They fear the abolition of catholic schools and people like Galloway fear an ant-catholic regime should we become independent.

I think you get my point though. The bigotry/prejudice is not always overt as in the way shown in the films. For many it is lower key almost subliminal but no less distasteful in many cases.

HaymarketJambo

I agree with the top sentence.

After that what utter rubbish.  

Space Mackerel

Can you actually read?

Or does your gimp Aussie only read out the bits you like?

What's going on? You undercover Sevco aye?

4ffeeda7828270a1f4db75116b7627ec.jpg

Mr Brightside

A lot of Labour member's voted for Corbyn to be re-elected as Labour Leader last year in fact did he not get more votes this time around?

Probably true, doesn't mean that a sizeable percentage of labour members won't speak out against him.

Nobody in the SNP is allowed to be publicly unhappy with any of the leaderships actions. This has backfired a bit with the recent brexit climb down.

HaymarketJambo

Probably true, doesn't mean that a sizeable percentage of labour members won't speak out against him.

Nobody in the SNP is allowed to be publicly unhappy with any of the leaderships actions. This has backfired a bit with the recent brexit climb down.

Totally agree with you on that one, fair play to him but he got one heck of a mandate. 

I was one the SNP supporters that voted brexit, so I can't talk on that one.  

Edited by HaymarketJambo

Mr Brightside

What do you think?

Was kind of wanting to read your view since you brought bigotry into the discussion.

There were probably pro IRA Celtic fans voting yes as an anti British vote, so yes some bigots voted yes. Obviously not all Catholics who voted yes are bigots and not all Catholics voted yes.

Thinking most Catholics who voted yes are bigots is as crazy as thinking most Protestants who voted no are bigots.

Mr Brightside

Totally agree with you on that one, fair play to him but he got one heck of a mandate.

I was one the SNP supporters that voted brexit, so I can't talk on that one.

He sure does, but he is totally unelectable for various reasons. I think Corbyn should set up his own Socialist party for far left views and let labour stay centre left. They can vote together in parliament on what the agree on and vote separately on issues they disagree on.

Space Mackerel

Was kind of wanting to read your view since you brought bigotry into the discussion.

There were probably pro IRA Celtic fans voting yes as an anti British vote, so yes some bigots voted yes. Obviously not all Catholics who voted yes are bigots and not all Catholics voted yes.

Thinking most Catholics who voted yes are bigots is as crazy as thinking most Protestants who voted no are bigots.

Only bigots bring in bigotry to a political conversation.

But that won't stop the accusation .....

No = Bigot

Yes= Not Bigot

Made of course by thickos.

Mr Brightside

Only bigots bring in bigotry to a political conversation.

Wouldn't know, I didn't bring it up but I did think it was a strange tangent to go off on.

Wouldn't know, I didn't bring it up but I did think it was a strange tangent to go off on.

It's desperation. Anyone who doesn't vote Yes is a bigoted Tory Toff etc etc.

Thicko logic.

Space Mackerel

But that won't stop the accusation .....

No = Bigot

Yes= Not Bigot

Made of course by thickos.

Eh? Hud on?

Who is "staunch" on this thread?

Name and shame please. Take your time.

Trapper John McIntyre

Eh? Hud on?

Define 'staunch'.

Eh? Hud on?

No = Bigot

Yes = Not Bigot or Tory Toff

Good luck finding a partner

Space Mackerel

It's desperation. Anyone who doesn't vote Yes is a bigoted Tory Toff etc etc.

Thicko logic.

Skiing teacher in Europe who agrees with a hard Brexit and the current Tory party mantra.

There you have it folks.