Even More SNP Nonsense

Stuart Lyon

annushorribilis III
28 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

That's hilarious. If we win then that's it but if we lose we will just keep on and on.

Schoolyard stuff.

Isn't that the point of the SNP ? - they will continue to push for independence as their raison d'etre ? And yet, people still seem surprised at this. What are people expecting - that the SNP should simply disappear as  a political force because the last referendum was lost ? If they are , they're going to be disappointed. 

Schoolyard stuff, you say ? 

• Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Space Mackerel

• deesidejambo

• Pans Jambo

• JamboX2

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, annushorribilis III said:

Isn't that the point of the SNP ? - they will continue to push for independence as their raison d'etre ? And yet, people still seem surprised at this. What are people expecting - that the SNP should simply disappear as  a political force because the last referendum was lost ? If they are , they're going to be disappointed. 

They could try using their powers to persuade people that there is a real benefit to an Independent Scotland. Basically if their sole reason to be independent is "just cos" then they will continually fail.

I would happily change my mind if they could offer economic reasons and prove that I would be better off.

Selfish but I have 4 kids and will not gamble my pension and their future on a Braveheart whim.

annushorribilis III
6 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

They could try using their powers to persuade people that there is a real benefit to an Independent Scotland. Basically if their sole reason to be independent is "just cos" then they will continually fail.

I would happily change my mind if they could offer economic reasons and prove that I would be better off.

Selfish but I have 4 kids and will not gamble my pension and their future on a Braveheart whim.

You didn't address the point I made. You dislike the idea it will go "on and on"  and you say so  in a childish fashion. You don't want independence - I get that and that's your democratic right. But your sneering comment won't change the fact the SNP is here to stay and so long as they are , they will campaign for independence. 

Edited by annushorribilis III

10 minutes ago, annushorribilis III said:

You didn't address the point I made. You dislike the idea it will go "on and on"  and you say so  in a childish fashion. You don't want independence - I get that and that's your democratic right. But your sneering comment won't change the fact the SNP is here to stay and so long as they are , they will campaign for independence. 

I think Ron's point is largely similar to mine.  I am concerned that the SNP are not willing to go into detail on their plans and, like Ron I have a lot to lose if they crash the economy to the point I can't even afford to retire when the time comes, and fear they will prioritise manual labour over the financial and tech sectors.

There is a lot of risks they are gambling with and I'm not prepared to take them, which is why I have been against them.

They also have double standards when it comes to respecting referendums as demonstrated with Brexit.  They are fine if the vote goes their way but if it doesn't then they will try and prevent the democratic will of the people from being implemented.

Edited by frankblack

Nucky Thompson
54 minutes ago, annushorribilis III said:

They should instead focus exclusively on the current devolved responsibilities of the Scottish government including health and education

jack D and coke

Going on about an indy Scotland costing you. 
An English brexit has made the £1 in your pocket worth about 70p or less now just for their English nationalism so I’m thinking....
English voters devaluing your money=barry

Scottish voters possibly devaluing your money=rage and seethe and get on with day job and rofl emojis

Totally ironical. 

annushorribilis III
3 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

They should instead focus exclusively on the current devolved responsibilities of the Scottish government including health and education

As someone who is no longer resident in Scotland and who has seen their "better than England's NHS" schtick,  I'd agree there is serious room for improvement : NHS Scotland is a  car wreck and I've got correspondence with 3 cabinet ministers and a one time CE of NHS Lothian to prove it.  I'm not defending the SNP : far from it. I was responding to a specific  point made by a poster. 

Hello, HMFC Kickback Group-
I hope this message finds you well! My name is Emilia Belknap, MA and I am a Political Researcher at the University of Edinburgh. I am currently working on my doctoral research about Scottish Voting behaviour and perspectives on Scottish Independence.

I am looking for a variety of participants that are
eligible to vote in Scotland to take this 5-10 minute survey which asks about your voting history and perspectives on Scottish Independence. Your responses are anonymised and only seen by one analyst, me!

SURVEY LINK: https://edinburgh.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/svbsurvey_belknap
(If this type of post isn't allowed, I apologise in advance and am happy to remove 😀).

1 hour ago, annushorribilis III said:

I think peoppe expect them to govern the country

22 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Going on about an indy Scotland costing you. 
An English brexit has made the £1 in your pocket worth about 70p or less now just for their English nationalism so I’m thinking....
English voters devaluing your money=barry

Scottish voters possibly devaluing your money=rage and seethe and get on with day job and rofl emojis

Totally ironical. 

You and I know that once Brexit is over the line then the value of the pound will rise, whereas a Scottish currency would remain worthless until it has justified credit worthiness.

Space Mackerel
1 hour ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Right Ron, you know me and I know you in real life. We have shared a pint or 2 over the last 4 years. 

Are you seriously saying that your jobs pension s seriously at risk in the event of Indy? Cmon man, really???

You do know how your pension is invested? It’s hardly going to be at risk dude.  

jack D and coke
18 minutes ago, frankblack said:

You and I know that once Brexit is over the line then the value of the pound will rise, whereas a Scottish currency would remain worthless until it has justified credit worthiness.

Will it aye? 
Well you’ll ken Frank👍🏼

Space Mackerel
6 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Will it aye? 
Well you’ll ken Frank👍🏼

See when Indy is over the line, the value of the Scottish pound or Euro will start to rise. 

Honestly. 

jack D and coke
Just now, Space Mackerel said:

See when Indy is over the line, the value of the Scottish pound or Euro will start to rise. 

Honestly. 

The hypocrisy that gets me. 
If this had been caused by a Yes vote and the value of the currency had dropped by a third they’d have been spitting ****ing tacks.

English nationalism causes it and not a ****ing peep :facepalm:
It’s not even mentioned and they go on about something that hasn’t even happened making their stuff worth less?!? 
Who are these guys ffs :lol: 

5 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

The hypocrisy that gets me. 
If this had been caused by a Yes vote and the value of the currency had dropped by a third they’d have been spitting ****ing tacks.

English nationalism causes it and not a ****ing peep :facepalm:
It’s not even mentioned and they go on about something that hasn’t even happened making their stuff worth less?!? 
Who are these guys ffs :lol: 

Indy will afffect more than just the value of the currency - peoples jobs at mortgages will be at risk.

36 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

Right Ron, you know me and I know you in real life. We have shared a pint or 2 over the last 4 years. 

Are you seriously saying that your jobs pension s seriously at risk in the event of Indy? Cmon man, really???

Look, there are risks to all of this. 12 years ago, I didn't have a clue what my pension pot would be. After the bank crash I soon found out it had lost a huge part of its value. I won't ever get that back. Post Brexit will not he the same as pre brexit and the risks for Middle class and working class people are huge. The same goes for an independent Scotland. The only good think for me is that I've got nothing to lose. Other people have and just saying it will be fine is negligent in my opinion.

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, frankblack said:

Indy will afffect more than just the value of the currency - peoples jobs at mortgages will be at risk.

Will it? What will happen? Apart from the rubbish you’ve read in a Tory leaflet. Or a lib Dem or labour one too actually. 
See this one about the currency. If one day we do vote Yes do you think England or rUK I should say will want us to take a share of this huge debt and pay it back in haggis or something? Same with the banks that have lent all this money and loans, do you think they’ll maybe sit down and try sort it out or just **** it off? 
All the property, all the jobs, everybody’s money just doon the swanny in your opinion eh? 
Surely you don’t believe that?

The rat catcher
16 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

Honestly. 

This is why the majority of us find the nats and their lack of understanding of basic facts and truth unpalatable.

More chance of hibs winning the Champions League than Indy happening.

Space Mackerel
12 minutes ago, The rat catcher said:

This is why the majority of us find the nats and their lack of understanding of basic facts and truth unpalatable.

More chance of hibs winning the Champions League than Indy happening.

:cornette:

manaliveits105
1 hour ago, Space Mackerel said:

Boom take that to the bank 

cast iron concrete guarantee right there

Blackford claimed that Boris was looking at his phone when he began his response to the queens speech ( in fact it wasn’t a response to the Queens speech but just more of the same we’re Scottish and nobody loves us) Sky News contradicted Blackford saying a camera shot showed Boris was not on his phone. 
Anyway Boris is PM and is constantly updated on events involving the country. 
Most people can multitask as well so looking at your phone doesn’t mean your not listening.

Edited by Dannie Boy

8 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

Blackford claimed that Boris was looking at his phone when he began his response to the queens speech ( in fact it wasn’t a response to the Queens speech but just more of the same we’re Scottish and nobody loves us) Sky News contradicted Blackford saying a camera shot showed Boris was not on his phone. 
Anyway Boris is PM and is constantly updated on events involving the country. 
Most people can multitask as well so looking at your phone doesn’t mean your not listening.

Sounds like the panic is starting to set in with the nats at Westminster as the reality they can't get Indy Ref 2 is hitting home.

5 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Sounds like the panic is starting to set in with the nats at Westminster as the reality they can't get Indy Ref 2 is hitting home.

Blackford stop to give his response to the Queens Speech, I’m still waiting! 

Space Mackerel
1 hour ago, SE16 3LN said:

Look, there are risks to all of this. 12 years ago, I didn't have a clue what my pension pot would be. After the bank crash I soon found out it had lost a huge part of its value. I won't ever get that back. Post Brexit will not he the same as pre brexit and the risks for Middle class and working class people are huge. The same goes for an independent Scotland. The only good think for me is that I've got nothing to lose. Other people have and just saying it will be fine is negligent in my opinion.

The worldwide economy has stagnated after the GFC of 2008,  check the interest rates around the world, theyre all hovering around 1% with some banks in Sweden and Switzerland offering Negative rates for borrowers.

Nothing to do with Brexit.

Space Mackerel
11 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Still not read that Newstatesman article I see frank. Its by Jonathan Powell was chief of staff to Tony Blair from 1995 to 2007.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2019/12/tories-can-deny-indyref2-consequence-will-be-drive-support-independence-even

Boris Johnson is the dog that caught the airplane. He has broken every rule – from lying to hiding from questions in a fridge, from illegally proroguing parliament to slyly dispatching his two predecessors – to attain his childhood dream of becoming “world king”. Now he has to decide what to do with the prize. I suspect that, like the dog, he hasn’t got a clue. Johnson is an untethered balloon full of hot air which could float off in any direction. He is completely at the mercy of his advisers, particularly Dominic Cummings who, unlike his boss, has an agenda.

As I know from my experience in May 1997, the beginning of a new government following an electoral landslide is the moment when you have the political space to do anything you want. Tony Blair managed to get rid of the twice weekly sessions of Prime Minister’s Questions before anyone else had yet woken up from the aftermath of the election. The opposition is flat on its back and your own party is so grateful to you for winning that it is in a warm fuzzy glow and will not question anything you do. In the hands of the wrong people this is a very dangerous period for the country and its institutions.

Cummings has set out his agenda: taking revenge on the BBC by removing the licence fee, undermining the courts, turning Ministry of Defence procurement upside down, revolutionising the structure of government and upending the civil service, which he feels disrespected him when he was a special adviser in the Department for Education.

Some of these may be perfectly good ideas but, given Cummings’s track record over Brexit, allowing him to implement them without any scrutiny is beyond risky. We know Cummings has contempt for the conventions that make up our constitution. The damage he could do within a few months of unconstrained rampaging around Whitehall would be very difficult to repair later.

This is also a period when the country faces huge decisions about its future. Brexit is far from done and it is only now that we have to make the real decisions about our future relations with the EU and the rest of the world.

We face a choice between a close relationship where there are zero trade tariffs and zero quotas as long as we agree to a level playing field with Europe; or a more distant Canada-style free trade agreement, in which case we will not escape tariffs and quotas. The former could be negotiated by the end of 2020 but the latter could not – the Canada Free Trade Agreement was approximately 2,000 pages long and took seven years to negotiate.

By the end of the year we will be back in the Groundhog Day scenario of wondering whether or not we will leave the EU without a deal. The fury of Johnson’s new supporters will be unbounded when they discover that far from being “done” as they were promised, we are going to have to watch endless repeats of the Brexit drama for the next several years.

An even more existential challenge to the United Kingdom will be the calls for a united Ireland and an independent Scotland. Having erected a customs border between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK, Johnson has put the province into an economic united Ireland. Coupled with demographic change this is likely to increase demand for a politically united Ireland too.

The British government promised in the Good Friday Agreement in 1998 to hold a border poll when a majority is in favour of leaving the UK. In Scotland, Johnson has said he will prevent a further referendum on independence even though support for leaving approaches 50 per cent.

He is perfectly within his rights to do so in legal terms. But the consequence of denying self-determination to the people of Scotland will be to drive support for independence still higher, resulting in the same mess as Spain has with Catalonia. It is in any case untenable to agree to a referendum in Ireland, as we are required to by an international agreement, but to refuse one in Scotland. After all, British rule in both places depends on the consent of the people who live there.

What is so dangerous is that all of this is going to happen when we do not have an effective opposition. We have survived bad and even mad governments in the past but only because we had a strong opposition that could hold them to account and prevent their worst excesses.

To be worthwhile, the opposition needs to be both a credible alternative government and capable of forensically challenging what the government is trying to do. In those terms we have not had an effective opposition for four years. But to continue in that position for another four months with Jeremy Corbyn facing Johnson at PMQs – just so Corbyn can self-indulgently preside over an inquiry into why he failed and help fix the selection of a Corbynista as his successor – is an abnegation of duty to the country.

This is a problem not just of the timing of Corbyn’s departure but also of who succeeds him. This election was a comprehensive rejection of Corbyn and Corbynism, and to replace the man but leave the politics the same would not solve the problem.

The Labour Party now has a final chance to break out of the extreme left cult and choose a serious leader who can hold Johnson to account and credibly look as if she can win an election. If Labour flunks the test again then there has to be an alternative. It is far too dangerous to leave Johnson without a competent opposition. A new progressive political movement will have to take its place as the principal resistance to Johnson and Cummings.

Edited by Space Mackerel

10 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

Still not read that Newstatesman article I see frank. Its by Jonathan Powell was chief of staff to Tony Blair from 1995 to 2007.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2019/12/tories-can-deny-indyref2-consequence-will-be-drive-support-independence-even

Boris Johnson is the dog that caught the airplane. He has broken every rule – from lying to hiding from questions in a fridge, from illegally proroguing parliament to slyly dispatching his two predecessors – to attain his childhood dream of becoming “world king”. Now he has to decide what to do with the prize. I suspect that, like the dog, he hasn’t got a clue. Johnson is an untethered balloon full of hot air which could float off in any direction. He is completely at the mercy of his advisers, particularly Dominic Cummings who, unlike his boss, has an agenda.

As I know from my experience in May 1997, the beginning of a new government following an electoral landslide is the moment when you have the political space to do anything you want. Tony Blair managed to get rid of the twice weekly sessions of Prime Minister’s Questions before anyone else had yet woken up from the aftermath of the election. The opposition is flat on its back and your own party is so grateful to you for winning that it is in a warm fuzzy glow and will not question anything you do. In the hands of the wrong people this is a very dangerous period for the country and its institutions.

Cummings has set out his agenda: taking revenge on the BBC by removing the licence fee, undermining the courts, turning Ministry of Defence procurement upside down, revolutionising the structure of government and upending the civil service, which he feels disrespected him when he was a special adviser in the Department for Education.

Some of these may be perfectly good ideas but, given Cummings’s track record over Brexit, allowing him to implement them without any scrutiny is beyond risky. We know Cummings has contempt for the conventions that make up our constitution. The damage he could do within a few months of unconstrained rampaging around Whitehall would be very difficult to repair later.

This is also a period when the country faces huge decisions about its future. Brexit is far from done and it is only now that we have to make the real decisions about our future relations with the EU and the rest of the world.

We face a choice between a close relationship where there are zero trade tariffs and zero quotas as long as we agree to a level playing field with Europe; or a more distant Canada-style free trade agreement, in which case we will not escape tariffs and quotas. The former could be negotiated by the end of 2020 but the latter could not – the Canada Free Trade Agreement was approximately 2,000 pages long and took seven years to negotiate.

By the end of the year we will be back in the Groundhog Day scenario of wondering whether or not we will leave the EU without a deal. The fury of Johnson’s new supporters will be unbounded when they discover that far from being “done” as they were promised, we are going to have to watch endless repeats of the Brexit drama for the next several years.

An even more existential challenge to the United Kingdom will be the calls for a united Ireland and an independent Scotland. Having erected a customs border between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK, Johnson has put the province into an economic united Ireland. Coupled with demographic change this is likely to increase demand for a politically united Ireland too.

The British government promised in the Good Friday Agreement in 1998 to hold a border poll when a majority is in favour of leaving the UK. In Scotland, Johnson has said he will prevent a further referendum on independence even though support for leaving approaches 50 per cent.

He is perfectly within his rights to do so in legal terms. But the consequence of denying self-determination to the people of Scotland will be to drive support for independence still higher, resulting in the same mess as Spain has with Catalonia. It is in any case untenable to agree to a referendum in Ireland, as we are required to by an international agreement, but to refuse one in Scotland. After all, British rule in both places depends on the consent of the people who live there.

What is so dangerous is that all of this is going to happen when we do not have an effective opposition. We have survived bad and even mad governments in the past but only because we had a strong opposition that could hold them to account and prevent their worst excesses.

To be worthwhile, the opposition needs to be both a credible alternative government and capable of forensically challenging what the government is trying to do. In those terms we have not had an effective opposition for four years. But to continue in that position for another four months with Jeremy Corbyn facing Johnson at PMQs – just so Corbyn can self-indulgently preside over an inquiry into why he failed and help fix the selection of a Corbynista as his successor – is an abnegation of duty to the country.

This is a problem not just of the timing of Corbyn’s departure but also of who succeeds him. This election was a comprehensive rejection of Corbyn and Corbynism, and to replace the man but leave the politics the same would not solve the problem.

The Labour Party now has a final chance to break out of the extreme left cult and choose a serious leader who can hold Johnson to account and credibly look as if she can win an election. If Labour flunks the test again then there has to be an alternative. It is far too dangerous to leave Johnson without a competent opposition. A new progressive political movement will have to take its place as the principal resistance to Johnson and Cummings.

TL;DR 👍

Hyperbole printed to sell newspapers.

The bold bit talks about a united Ireland but doesn't cover the hard border the SNP would need to build and control with England.  How are those plans going?

Space Mackerel
5 minutes ago, frankblack said:

TL;DR 👍

Hyperbole printed to sell newspapers.

The bold bit talks about a united Ireland but doesn't cover the hard border the SNP would need to build and control with England.  How are those plans going?

I highlighted the most relevant parts for you.

Anyway, what about this? :)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-50854791/indyref2-not-possible-to-resist-forever-says-mitchell

Nucky Thompson

SNP MP Steven Bonnar was spotted crossing his fingers while swearing loyalty to the Queen :lol:

What fecking age is he, 10 :lol:

jack D and coke
27 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

SNP MP Steven Bonnar was spotted crossing his fingers while swearing loyalty to the Queen :lol:

What fecking age is he, 10 :lol:

I agree some of them are a total riddy :facepalm:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/5083621/scotrail-abellio-nicola-sturgeon-buried-news-election/

SNP chiefs today announced they were terminating Abellio’s 10-year dealearly despite ministers previously insisting they’d get the railways back on track.

And they also revealed taxpayers may have to cough up £114 million extra for two new CalMac ferries to be finished by a newly nationalised shipyard - double the initial price tag.

The Scottish Sun can reveal today we were told November 23 - during the election campaign - that SNP ministers were axing Abellio’s ScotRail 10-year contact, which has been due to run until 2025.

But SNP government agency Transport Scotland rubbished the claim and cabinet source said at the time: “No decision has been made.”

Today, it was confirmed the rail deal would end early in 2022. And it emerged the CalMac ferries contract at Port Glasgow’s Ferguson Marine - nationalised by SNP ministers - has doubled from the initial £97million price tag to nearly £200million.

Eye off the ball again Nicola. No point blaming anyone else. Spend your time sorting these sort of situations out rather than pursue Independence. This is your day job.

Space Mackerel
21 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It looks like she got it quashed because of some legal loophole as she faces a retrial.

Not that it bothers me one way or the other

Was there not a thread on here about it?

Space Mackerel
1 minute ago, Dannie Boy said:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/5083621/scotrail-abellio-nicola-sturgeon-buried-news-election/

SNP chiefs today announced they were terminating Abellio’s 10-year dealearly despite ministers previously insisting they’d get the railways back on track.

And they also revealed taxpayers may have to cough up £114 million extra for two new CalMac ferries to be finished by a newly nationalised shipyard - double the initial price tag.

The Scottish Sun can reveal today we were told November 23 - during the election campaign - that SNP ministers were axing Abellio’s ScotRail 10-year contact, which has been due to run until 2025.

But SNP government agency Transport Scotland rubbished the claim and cabinet source said at the time: “No decision has been made.”

Today, it was confirmed the rail deal would end early in 2022. And it emerged the CalMac ferries contract at Port Glasgow’s Ferguson Marine - nationalised by SNP ministers - has doubled from the initial £97million price tag to nearly £200million.

Eye off the ball again Nicola. No point blaming anyone else. Spend your time sorting these sort of situations out rather than pursue Independence. This is your day job.

Unionists talking about ferries and contracts noo. 😄

Do you honestly get all your news from the Sooper Soraway child phone hacking S*n? Thats about your 3rd post today from them?

Space Mackerel

Seymour M Hersh
Space Mackerel
1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

The galactic guppy is exactly what the ignore function is for. 

I would never click a S*n link. Utter scum journalists.

2 hours ago, Dannie Boy said:

What exactly is it that you think the FM and presumably SG has done wrong?

Space Mackerel
2 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

What exactly is it that you think the FM and presumably SG has done wrong?

Two things you have to look for in MSM headlines.

"Accused"

and

"Expert says"

Just now, Space Mackerel said:

Two things you have to look for in MSM headlines.

"Accused"

and

"Expert says"

I don't suppose there's any point in looking for context or reasoning then!

Le'ts see what Danny boy has to say.

Space Mackerel
3 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

I don't suppose there's any point in looking for context or reasoning then!

Le'ts see what Danny boy has to say.

Something about "day job" I would imagine.

6 hours ago, frankblack said:

I think Ron's point is largely similar to mine.  I am concerned that the SNP are not willing to go into detail on their plans and, like Ron I have a lot to lose if they crash the economy to the point I can't even afford to retire when the time comes, and fear they will prioritise manual labour over the financial and tech sectors.

There is a lot of risks they are gambling with and I'm not prepared to take them, which is why I have been against them.

They also have double standards when it comes to respecting referendums as demonstrated with Brexit.  They are fine if the vote goes their way but if it doesn't then they will try and prevent the democratic will of the people from being implemented.

In what way has the SNP not respected a referendum result?