Even More SNP Nonsense

Stuart Lyon

6 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

I wonder if frank has read this? Maybe this might change his mind on the small humble wee fisherman and his wifie scratching a living out from Peterheed or Crail?

https://www.greenpeace.org.uk/news/uncovered-rich-list-codfathers-dominating-uks-fishing-industry/

Not me that raised this topic, but how many jobs do these companies create?  How many more jobs and revenue could be created if EU countries had to pay us to fish in our waters?

Most of the jobs tend to be up north around Peterhead and Aberdeenshire rather than down here, anyway.

Edited by frankblack

• Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Space Mackerel

• deesidejambo

• Pans Jambo

• JamboX2

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Space Mackerel
2 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Plenty scratched livings down my way too. Not anymore. 

Will McCallum, head of oceans at Greenpeace UK, said:

“Many of these companies were amongst those touting the opportunity to ‘take back control’ of our waters by leaving the EU. They’re taking politicians and regular fishermen for a ride, because they know exactly who’s in control. And the same politicians who slammed Europe for breaking Britain’s fishing sector are the ones restricting the majority of fishing quota to this handful of wealthy families. It’s a betrayal of Britain’s fishermen.

“When Greenpeace took the Government to court in 2015, they had the gall to say that the UK’s fishing industry was all in order. They were slammed by a European Court for claiming fishing quota was distributed in a transparent and objective way.

“With the odds stacked against them, is it any wonder that fishermen across the UK have been run out of business, or that coastal economies have collapsed and the communities that they support have been hollowed out? If the Government cares about coastal communities they need to use the Fisheries Bill to reduce the power of these Codfathers. We need a fair distribution of fishing quota to local, low-impact, fishers to boost coastal economies, reduce the environmental impact and help rebuild fading seaside towns.”

I was speaking to an ex boat owner when up North working and asked him a few questions. Really nice guy with a thick Doric accent.

His son wasn't interested in pursuing a career in the industry and he sold his quotas to a much larger boat, for back then, not a lot of money.

jack D and coke
Just now, Space Mackerel said:

I was speaking to an ex boat owner when up North working and asked him a few questions. Really nice guy with a thick Doric accent.

His son wasn't interested in pursuing a career in the industry and he sold his quotas to a much larger boat, for back then, not a lot of money.

Plenty round here sold them too. Don’t think it was much of a life tbh bit this take back control of our fishing is a con to make incredibly wealthy people even wealthier. 

Space Mackerel
3 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Not me that raised this topic, but how many jobs do these companies create?  How many more jobs and revenue could be created if EU countries had to pay us to fish in our waters?

Most of the jobs tend to be up north around Peterhead and Aberdeenshire rather than down here, anyway.

And you're going to sell this fish where? Back to the EU? The USA? :lol: Everyone in good old Blighty scoffing it 4 times a week?  Have you seen how much the EU buy of us already?

You haven't a clue (as usual) but not surprising.

Space Mackerel
2 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Plenty round here sold them too. Don’t think it was much of a life tbh bit this take back control of our fishing is a con to make incredibly wealthy people even wealthier. 

Didn't the guy who featured in The Trawlermen hang up his wellies or something recently. He was another uber rich Tory Brexiteer who has quit the industry?

And you're going to sell this fish where? Back to the EU? The USA? :lol: Everyone in good old Blighty scoffing it 4 times a week?  Have you seen how much the EU buy of us already?

You haven't a clue (as usual) but not surprising.

Here we go again, the usual personal abuse when your argument falls apart.

The French and Spanish would certainly pay for access to our waters for starters - note I said access not necessarily selling the fish, I meant charging for access.

2 hours ago, frankblack said:

I think you need to lay off the cooking sherry.  You couldn't even spell Seethe in your meme earlier :rofl:

The answer is No, and BTW I wouldn't be surprised if Boris uses the next 5 years to make any referendum require a confirmatory vote on the terms if Indy Ref 2 ever got approved after the next parliament. 👍

Your chances of Indy Ref 2 dropped substantially last week as Brexit will be through before you get another chance to put an Indy referendum to the public should Labour approve one in 5-15 years time.  Remain vote will then shift to remaining in the UK than being out of both the UK and EU.

You genuinely try to make a political argument by calling someone out on a spelling mistake in a meme, seriously desperate stuff.

Time is the only thing that will tell in the end.

Tick tock Tory boy Tick tock. 

Didn't the guy who featured in The Trawlermen hang up his wellies or something recently. He was another uber rich Tory Brexiteer who has quit the industry?

So you are saying someone made a lot of money from fishing - how appauling.  The SNP will fix that right enough as they collapse the economy.

1 minute ago, Coolio said:

You genuinely try to make a political argument by calling someone out on a spelling mistake in a meme, seriously desperate stuff.

Time is the only thing that will tell in the end.

Tick tock Tory boy Tick tock. 

:rofl:

Time is certainly something you have plenty of.  Five years for starters to plan your next move.

Also, I haven't voted Tory - just anyone against the SNP. 👍

Edited by frankblack

Space Mackerel

Here we go again, the usual personal abuse when your argument falls apart.

The French and Spanish would certainly pay for access to our waters for starters - note I said access not necessarily selling the fish, I meant charging for access.

So basically its back to quotas with GB getting some income in? Thats franks fishing Brexit plan.

And what about all the top of the range Scottish seafood thats exported to the high class restaurants around Europe, I take it we will have to pay their governments to do that?

Edited by Space Mackerel

Space Mackerel
6 minutes ago, frankblack said:

So you are saying someone made a lot of money from fishing - how appauling.  The SNP will fix that right enough as they collapse the economy.

He owned all the quotas!!! 🤪

3 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

So basically its back to quotas with GB getting some income in? Thats franks fishing Brexit plan.

And what about all the top of the range Scottish seafood thats exported to the high class restaurants around Europe, I take it we will have to pay their governments to do that?

You are off on one.  If you mean the shellfish, they are harvested mostly in farms and exported.

Space Mackerel
21 minutes ago, frankblack said:

You are off on one.  If you mean the shellfish, they are harvested mostly in farms and exported.

"Exported" 😁 😁 😁

Space Mackerel
20 minutes ago, frankblack said:

That will be fixed with Brexit, then. 👍

And how is Johnson going to re-distribute all the quotas up?

You think someone who operates one of these£100 million super trawlers are gonna play ball? :lol:

Some funny wee world you live in.

2 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

And how is Johnson going to re-distribute all the quotas up?

Those quotas belong to the EU.  Post brexit the UK can set their own.

2 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

You think someone who operates one of these£100 million super trawlers are gonna play ball? :lol:

Some funny wee world you live in.

You mean they will break any law set post brexit? Straw clutching at its best there spacey.

4 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

You better start getting a taste for fash frank, theres going to be a lot of it about in the supermarket nowadays and much cheapness!!!

https://www.undercurrentnews.com/2019/04/10/trade-insights-more-than-70-of-uk-seafood-exports-go-to-eu/

Straw clutching again.

A post-brexit UK with a trade deal is a different scenario from what you are grasping at.

Its supply and demand and the EU has a lot of demand for our fish.

Space Mackerel
2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Those quotas belong to the EU.  Post brexit the UK can set their own.

You mean they will break any law set post brexit? Straw clutching at its best there spacey.

Off out now pal. I'll leave you with this, I've copied and pasted it as I doubt you S8n login won't work on here :)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/scots-voters-have-had-their-say-the-union-is-dead-dffm0jkvx?fbclid=IwAR2aA9vZ5eblycAIY_f9UTHt7WeimA8v5SY7jTM4gXpQaiNQD7Ew9WZDXoM

Out of the mouths of babes, sucklings and leaders of the Scottish Conservative Party wisdom may come, as the Bible doesn’t quite say.

On the eve of the general election, Jackson Carlaw MSP, the acting head of Scotland’s Tories, took to social media to declaim: “Tomorrow the Union is on the ballot paper.” To take Carlaw on his own terms, if the Union was metaphorically on the ballot paper on Thursday, it lost. And it lost big.

In referendums, mandates derive directly from votes. In parliamentary elections, they come from seats. The SNP now holds 80% of Scotland’s constituencies in the new House of Commons — a much more emphatic result than the 56% of seats across the UK won by the Conservatives.

It’s worth putting the scale of the SNP’s win into historical context. It is far in excess of anything achieved by a British political party in the democratic era. The best it’s ever been for Labour was the 63% of Commons seats won in Tony Blair’s 1997 landslide, which shaded the party’s 1945 triumph. For the Tories, their high point was the 61% of seats won under Margaret Thatcher in 1983. The SNP’s percentage seats haul even exceeds the 76% of constituencies won by the National coalition in 1931.

The SNP also recorded a higher share of the popular vote in Scotland than the Conservatives achieved UK-wide.

In other words, if Boris Johnson has a mandate for his manifesto, it follows that Nicola Sturgeon has a substantially stronger mandate for hers. The SNP document clearly said voting for the party endorsed the position that “it must be for the Scottish parliament, not Westminster, to decide when an independence referendum should be held — and the SNP intends that it will be in 2020”.

As this column argued two weeks ago, Johnson could gain an advantage by accepting Sturgeon’s demand and taking his chances at the ballot box. The alternative — becoming another Tory prime minister boringly blocking an expression of democracy in Scotland — suits Sturgeon just fine.

The first minister needs to reach beyond the existing base of independence supporters if “yes” is to be successful in a second referendum. A campaign based on the right of the people of Scotland to choose their future is easier and broader in appeal than an early return to a real referendum. It has the potential to resonate with significant numbers of people who voted “no” last time but are less sure now.

If, as I suspect will be the case, we get to the situation where SNP and Green MSPs form a majority at the next Holyrood election in May 2021 — having been elected on a platform to hold an independence referendum — there could be a reasonable case for proceeding with legislative arrangements for a vote even if Johnson says no. The legality or otherwise of such a move has never been tested.

Sturgeon would be able to demonstrate that the Scottish government and parliament had acted democratically at every turn but had been stymied by Westminster and left with no other option. The Supreme Court judgment that Johnson’s prorogation of parliament was unlawful suggested that political context is taken into account in major constitutional cases. If the ruling was negative, the “yes” movement would be no worse off.

Whatever happens in future, Scotland has already attained an attitude and characteristics of independence, if not the sovereign status.

The Union as we knew it has gone. It isn’t coming back.

Off out now pal. I'll leave you with this, I've copied and pasted it as I doubt you S8n login won't work on here :)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/scots-voters-have-had-their-say-the-union-is-dead-dffm0jkvx?fbclid=IwAR2aA9vZ5eblycAIY_f9UTHt7WeimA8v5SY7jTM4gXpQaiNQD7Ew9WZDXoM

Out of the mouths of babes, sucklings and leaders of the Scottish Conservative Party wisdom may come, as the Bible doesn’t quite say.

On the eve of the general election, Jackson Carlaw MSP, the acting head of Scotland’s Tories, took to social media to declaim: “Tomorrow the Union is on the ballot paper.” To take Carlaw on his own terms, if the Union was metaphorically on the ballot paper on Thursday, it lost. And it lost big.

In referendums, mandates derive directly from votes. In parliamentary elections, they come from seats. The SNP now holds 80% of Scotland’s constituencies in the new House of Commons — a much more emphatic result than the 56% of seats across the UK won by the Conservatives.

It’s worth putting the scale of the SNP’s win into historical context. It is far in excess of anything achieved by a British political party in the democratic era. The best it’s ever been for Labour was the 63% of Commons seats won in Tony Blair’s 1997 landslide, which shaded the party’s 1945 triumph. For the Tories, their high point was the 61% of seats won under Margaret Thatcher in 1983. The SNP’s percentage seats haul even exceeds the 76% of constituencies won by the National coalition in 1931.

The SNP also recorded a higher share of the popular vote in Scotland than the Conservatives achieved UK-wide.

In other words, if Boris Johnson has a mandate for his manifesto, it follows that Nicola Sturgeon has a substantially stronger mandate for hers. The SNP document clearly said voting for the party endorsed the position that “it must be for the Scottish parliament, not Westminster, to decide when an independence referendum should be held — and the SNP intends that it will be in 2020”.

As this column argued two weeks ago, Johnson could gain an advantage by accepting Sturgeon’s demand and taking his chances at the ballot box. The alternative — becoming another Tory prime minister boringly blocking an expression of democracy in Scotland — suits Sturgeon just fine.

The first minister needs to reach beyond the existing base of independence supporters if “yes” is to be successful in a second referendum. A campaign based on the right of the people of Scotland to choose their future is easier and broader in appeal than an early return to a real referendum. It has the potential to resonate with significant numbers of people who voted “no” last time but are less sure now.

If, as I suspect will be the case, we get to the situation where SNP and Green MSPs form a majority at the next Holyrood election in May 2021 — having been elected on a platform to hold an independence referendum — there could be a reasonable case for proceeding with legislative arrangements for a vote even if Johnson says no. The legality or otherwise of such a move has never been tested.

Sturgeon would be able to demonstrate that the Scottish government and parliament had acted democratically at every turn but had been stymied by Westminster and left with no other option. The Supreme Court judgment that Johnson’s prorogation of parliament was unlawful suggested that political context is taken into account in major constitutional cases. If the ruling was negative, the “yes” movement would be no worse off.

Whatever happens in future, Scotland has already attained an attitude and characteristics of independence, if not the sovereign status.

The Union as we knew it has gone. It isn’t coming back.

You sound absolutely broken.

Five years is a long time, and if the Tories have a successful trade deal in place, Brexit sorted, and stability in the economy your lot will have a hard job bringing back Indy Ref 2 especially as the above will likely mean another Tory government who will saw "No" to your leader.

This was your best chance to get Indy Ref 2 and you blew it.

Space Mackerel
1 minute ago, frankblack said:

80% of the seats is "blew it" noo.

🤪 🤪 🤪

2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

You sound absolutely broken.

Five years is a long time, and if the Tories have a successful trade deal in place, Brexit sorted, and stability in the economy your lot will have a hard job bringing back Indy Ref 2 especially as the above will likely mean another Tory government who will saw "No" to your leader.

If.

16 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

If.

Far more likely than independence happening as you don't know if you will ever get another referendum.

Space Mackerel

Far more likely than independence happening as you don't know if you will ever get another referendum.

That strategy has clearly worked well over the years eh? 🤣

EMAGraBXUAEUY6a.jpg

28 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

That strategy has clearly worked well over the years eh? 🤣

EMAGraBXUAEUY6a.jpg

I'm sure that seemed funny inside your head, but I have no idea what you copied and pasted as you failed to describe it, nor do I care. 👌

Space Mackerel

I'm sure that seemed funny inside your head, but I have no idea what you copied and pasted as you failed to describe it, nor do I care. 👌

For an uber Brit, you dont seem to know much about the country you supposedly loves history 😕

Space Mackerel
27 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Temporary while posturing starts over trade deal.

An independent Scotland will have an economy on a par to Albania. :rofl:

Weird that you come to that conclusion when Scotland’s exports outweigh its imports.

But you knew that too right? 😁😁😁

6A207498-8A0A-4608-BAEB-B1C427204B9E.jpeg

Edited by Space Mackerel

16 hours ago, Coolio said:

Never forget, "He who laughs last laughs longest".

In other words, the person who has the final decisive move or victory in a feud, quarrel or competition is the only one who is truly successful.

Indyref 1 has afforded you five years of laughter however, Indyref 2 will provide me with a lifetime of laughter thereafter.

Answer me this - Do you genuinely believe that nothing significant has changed with regard to how people chose to vote in Indyref 1.

(I'll help you with a wee clue - Brexit)

(Just in case you're seriously struggling to understand my point then here's a further clue - Scotland doesn't want to leave the EU and many people voted NO in Indyref 1 based on this facet alone).

Great argument. If you forget the fact that had Scotland voted yes, We would have been out of the EU, and have to apply to get back in.

With too high a deficit, and Spain vetoing us.

10 hours ago, Space Mackerel said:

Weird that you come to that conclusion when Scotland’s exports outweigh its imports.

But you knew that too right? 😁😁😁

6A207498-8A0A-4608-BAEB-B1C427204B9E.jpeg

So, you recognise Scotland as a 'Region' do you? 👍

I wonder where the majority of these exports go?? 🤔😋

7 hours ago, Del Monty said:

Great argument. If you forget the fact that had Scotland voted yes, We would have been out of the EU, and have to apply to get back in.

So would that mean an independent Scotland would have to trade on WTO rules even with the rest of the UK?  Brutal.

Space Mackerel
36 minutes ago, frankblack said:

So would that mean an independent Scotland would have to trade on WTO rules even with the rest of the UK?  Brutal.

7 hours ago, Del Monty said:

Always like hearing some quote from some far right Spanish politician from 19 oatcake.

image.png.b6ad2bf31ce933e47ae6be406bca52cc.png

Space Mackerel
40 minutes ago, frankblack said:

When we re-join the EU, I suspect and no doubt you will correct me if I'm wrong, we'll have the same trade deal as Germany, France, Spain, Holland, Belgium, Portugal, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia etc etc etc.

Brutal.

1 minute ago, Space Mackerel said:

When we re-join the EU, I suspect and no doubt you will correct me if I'm wrong, we'll have the same trade deal as Germany, France, Spain, Holland, Belgium, Portugal, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia etc etc etc.

Brutal.

No you won't IF you leave the UK as you will not have EU membership nor membership of the UK, and will have to get the deficit down to apply for EU membership for however many months or years that takes.

WTO it is then.  Brutal.

No you won't IF you leave the UK as you will not have EU membership nor membership of the UK, and will have to get the deficit down to apply for EU membership for however many months or years that takes.

WTO it is then.  Brutal.

Frank you are trying to reason with a fundamentalist.

Space Mackerel

WTO it is then.  Brutal.

I think it will be a political one. Another swing and miss frankie. Do keep up.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/17852268.deficit-need-not-barrier-scotland-joining-eu/

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/summary/glossary/excessive_deficit_procedure.html

EXCESSIVE DEFICIT PROCEDURE (EDP)

The EU's Stability and Growth Pact (SGP) is a body of rules governing the coordination of EU countries' fiscal policies. It aims to safeguard sound public finances and has 2 arms. The preventive arm ensures EU countries' fiscal policy is conducted in a sustainable manner. The corrective arm lays down how countries should take action in the event that their public debt or budget deficit is considered excessive.

The excessive deficit procedure (EDP) is governed by Article 126 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union. It underpins the corrective arm of the EU's SGP.

EU countries must demonstrate sound public finances and meet 2 criteria:

• their budget deficit must not exceed 3% of gross domestic product (GDP);
  • public debt (government debt & that of public agencies) must not exceed 60% of GDP.

Every April, euro area countries submit stability programmes to the Commission and Council, while non-euro area countries submit convergence programmes to the same institutions.

A stability or convergence programme must include the country's medium-term budgetary objective (MTO), and information as to how this will be achieved. It also contains an analysis of the effects of changes in the main underlying economic assumptions on the country's fiscal position.

The programmes are examined by the Commission. If the criteria are not met, an EDP is launched by the Council based on recommendations by the Commission.

The EDP requires the country in question to provide a plan of the corrective action and policies it will follow, as well as deadlines for their achievement. Euro area countries that do not follow up on the recommendations may be fined.

SEE ALSO

Space Mackerel

Aw naw, whats this? :)

https://theorangefiles.hu/hungary-and-the-european-union-excessive-deficit-procedure/

Hungary and the European Union Excessive Deficit Procedure

Summary 

Up late fighting about money.

Prime Minister Viktor Orbán.

The European Union places member states whose government deficit exceeds 3 percent of GDP under an Excessive Deficit Procedure (EDP) aimed at compelling them to bring their budget shortfalls under this threshold. The European Union maintained an EDP against Hungary from the time the country joined the EU in 2004 until June 21, 2013. 

Hungary’s Government Deficit

Hungary had a government deficit of between 3.7 and 9.4 percent of GDP for the first seven years of the country’s European Union membership from 2004 through 2010.

In 2011, the first full year in which the Orbán government was in power, Hungary recorded a budget surplus of 4.3 percent of GDP as the exclusive result of the government’s one-off diversion of around 3,000 billion forints, or 10 percent of GDP, from the country’s mandatory private pension-funds to the government. In 2012, Hungary had a deficit of 1.9 percent of GDP, well under the 3 percent of GDP maximum stipulated in the European Union’s Stability and Growth Pact. The European Union was implementing the Excessive Deficit Procedure against 21 of 27 member states in 2012. 

Edited by Space Mackerel

Space Mackerel
1 minute ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Copy and pasting from The National. :jj_facepalm:

Are you coming out with conspiracy theories about it being fake news? :)

1 minute ago, Space Mackerel said:

I think it will be a political one. Another swing and miss frankie. Do keep up.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/17852268.deficit-need-not-barrier-scotland-joining-eu/

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/summary/glossary/excessive_deficit_procedure.html

EXCESSIVE DEFICIT PROCEDURE (EDP)

The EU's Stability and Growth Pact (SGP) is a body of rules governing the coordination of EU countries' fiscal policies. It aims to safeguard sound public finances and has 2 arms. The preventive arm ensures EU countries' fiscal policy is conducted in a sustainable manner. The corrective arm lays down how countries should take action in the event that their public debt or budget deficit is considered excessive.

The excessive deficit procedure (EDP) is governed by Article 126 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union. It underpins the corrective arm of the EU's SGP.

EU countries must demonstrate sound public finances and meet 2 criteria:

• their budget deficit must not exceed 3% of gross domestic product (GDP);
  • public debt (government debt & that of public agencies) must not exceed 60% of GDP.

Every April, euro area countries submit stability programmes to the Commission and Council, while non-euro area countries submit convergence programmes to the same institutions.

A stability or convergence programme must include the country's medium-term budgetary objective (MTO), and information as to how this will be achieved. It also contains an analysis of the effects of changes in the main underlying economic assumptions on the country's fiscal position.

The programmes are examined by the Commission. If the criteria are not met, an EDP is launched by the Council based on recommendations by the Commission.

The EDP requires the country in question to provide a plan of the corrective action and policies it will follow, as well as deadlines for their achievement. Euro area countries that do not follow up on the recommendations may be fined.

SEE ALSO

So what you are saying is that you would commit to the Euro as a currency to try and overcome the fact you would struggle to meet entry requirements?  Interesting as the SNP talk about keeping the pound.

Straw clutching again here with copy and pastes from SNP fanzines.

Space Mackerel

So what you are saying is that you would commit to the Euro as a currency to try and overcome the fact you would struggle to meet entry requirements?  Interesting as the SNP talk about keeping the pound.

Straw clutching again here with copy and pastes from SNP fanzines.

frank, just drop the 3% nonsense, there's a good lad. 😎

frank, just drop the 3% nonsense, there's a good lad. 😎

You are sounding a tad confused today, Spacey, and grasping at straws to explain away how the SNP will avoid WTO rules when its out of their hands.

manaliveits105
26 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

Always like hearing some quote from some far right Spanish politician from 19 oatcake.

image.png.b6ad2bf31ce933e47ae6be406bca52cc.png

If Gunther thought that that's good enough for me - boom game over 

Space Mackerel
9 minutes ago, frankblack said:

You are sounding a tad confused today, Spacey, and grasping at straws to explain away how the SNP will avoid WTO rules when its out of their hands.

frank, honestly, this feels like I’m Anthony Joshua and you’re that fat sweaty Snickers munching Mexican dude that fought the other week.. It’s getting quite embarrassing now. ☹️