Buffalo Bill

Aberdeen's new stadium...

David McCaig
1 hour ago, dc-jambo said:

I take issue with the last bit - surely it’s the best 10000-capacity ground in Scotland? And almost ideal for their needs? 

Livingston is a far better stadium.

sadj
2 hours ago, Inch Hearts said:

I can’t see many of their core fanbase walking away regardless. They will always have about 9-10k who will go regardless of moving and the rest depends on how well they are doing.    

Is Aberdeens core fanbase 9-10k when they are doing poorly? I’d of thought it was lower than that. 

Icon of Symmetry
3 hours ago, Darren said:

I'm going by this:

"St Johnstone enjoyed great success when the stadium first opened. The club won promotion to the Premier Division in their first season at McDiarmid. In the first season back in the top flight, the average attendance at McDiarmid was 6,000, approximately three times what it had been at Muirton. These high attendances led the club to create space for another 600 seats, raising the capacity to over 10,700."

And last season's average of 4,045.

If they had a markedly higher average attendance before 1974/75 then I'm happy to be corrected. 

A few years ago they wanted to demolish a stand because their crowds were so shit.

Inch Hearts
45 minutes ago, sadj said:

Is Aberdeens core fanbase 9-10k when they are doing poorly? I’d of thought it was lower than that. 

Don’t really know as they’ve been doing well for a good few years, would a lot of them walk away if they went bottom 6? 

sadj
16 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Don’t really know as they’ve been doing well for a good few years, would a lot of them walk away if they went bottom 6? 

Someone will have the stats always felt like crowds were poor when they were. Even with a good team , were they not only getting circa 18k v Celtic / Rangers etc 

Jambo92

I see Ryan Fraser has said he will probably run his contract down at Bournemouth meaning there will be no sell on fee for the Dandies.  Will be a blow to the new stadium budget.

Ugly American
59 minutes ago, sadj said:

Someone will have the stats always felt like crowds were poor when they were. Even with a good team , were they not only getting circa 18k v Celtic / Rangers etc 

Looking at their home matches in the second half of the season, they got 14+ against St. Mirren and Kilmarnock in January and February, 14k+ to Livi in March, then dropped off a bit to 13k or so for matches against Motherwell in the spring. 19k against Rangers in the middle of winter but then 15k to Celtic late in the season.

Back up to 2013, though, when they finished 8th, they only had 7k at a winter match against Hibs.

I spent a while several years ago looking over Hearts' attendances up and down, and my impression is that if you have a period of sustained success, you lose some in the next trough but clearly a lot of folks get the bug and come back. I don't think Pittodrie has Tynecastle's magic to enchant people, but I would still expect, say, if their form went in the ditch next season, they would still be pulling 10k to those winter matches against wee teams.

I strongly dislike out of town stadia and I think leaving the North Sea coast behind loses some of the charm for Aberdeen, but that's said from a nice warm armchair, and I don't know if I lived there if I'd want to go to a February match with the wind whipping off the water.

Of any of the teams in Scotland to have a bit of ambition, it's them and us and Hibs that can have any real belief in the possibility of a financial return. (Maybe Partick too, but they have a much bigger hill to climb to get there.) If nothing else, the bigger stadium will pay off nicely if they manage a EL group stage. They've certainly seen to the footballing side of things well in the last 5 years or so.

Icon of Symmetry
1 hour ago, Inch Hearts said:

Ask @Gorillajam, he knows loads about AFC. ?

Sir Gio
8 hours ago, Darren said:

St Johnstone are a good example of a club whose support has increases since moving stadium.

I don't think a new stadium with a smaller capacity than the existing one is particularly ambitious. I also don't understand why having the training facilities next to the ground is seen as so important. 

Apparently we would have done the same if possible. Cheaper apparently,  easier for logistics 

kirkierobroy
On 13/06/2019 at 11:05, dc-jambo said:

I take issue with the last bit - surely it’s the best 10000-capacity ground in Scotland? And almost ideal for their needs? 

I meant that ICT's was crappy, not St J's. I've had a season ticket for ICT so I can speak with confidence.

Icon of Symmetry
19 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Apparently we would have done the same if possible. Cheaper apparently,  easier for logistics 

Who would have done that if possible? 

Sir Gio
1 hour ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Who would have done that if possible? 

Ann Budge and Hearts, we :lol:

Icon of Symmetry
2 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Ann Budge and Hearts, we :lol:

Not how I remember it. I remember her being interviewed and saying that before she took the reins - and was just a supporter, in her mind the best option was to relocate. Then when she became our owner, she quickly realised that that was the wrong idea.

Sir Gio
15 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Not how I remember it. I remember her being interviewed and saying that before she took the reins - and was just a supporter, in her mind the best option was to relocate. Then when she became our owner, she quickly realised that that was the wrong idea.

She wrote a letter to this effect in support of the Aberdeen bid, unless she was telling lies.

Icon of Symmetry
1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

She wrote a letter to this effect in support of the Aberdeen bid, unless she was telling lies.

Don’t recall that. Can you link me? Or just paraphrase so I can google it. ?

I remember her saying that as a fan she thought it was so obvious that we needed to build a new stadium somewhere else, but when she became owner/custodian she very quickly learned that staying in our spiritual home was the only way to go, because of the strength of feeling from the fans.

Inch Hearts
Posted (edited)

Budge supported council-location with the training ground and mentioned how his advantaged we are for not being able to do so. 

Edited by Inch Hearts

Sir Gio
5 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Don’t recall that. Can you link me? Or just paraphrase so I can google it. ?

I remember her saying that as a fan she thought it was so obvious that we needed to build a new stadium somewhere else, but when she became owner/custodian she very quickly learned that staying in our spiritual home was the only way to go, because of the strength of feeling from the fans.

Nah. If you trawl through Aberdeen planning application you will find our letter of support along with other clubs who supported their bid

Icon of Symmetry
2 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Nah. If you trawl through Aberdeen planning application you will find our letter of support along with other clubs who supported their bid

Cheers. We might be at cross-wires here though. I am talking about us preferring to relocate, but logistics preventing it. I don’t think that’s right.

FarmerTweedy
On 13/06/2019 at 16:44, Jambo92 said:

I see Ryan Fraser has said he will probably run his contract down at Bournemouth meaning there will be no sell on fee for the Dandies.  Will be a blow to the new stadium budget.

Going off topic but I always find it somewhat amusing when every time there's some talk about us potentially selling someone, there's always folk on jkb banging on about how we must insist on a sell-on clause, despite the facts that a) the buying club is almost certain to insist on a lower fee at the outset in return for agreeing to a sell-on clause;  and b) there are a multitude of reasons why a sell-on clause could end up being worth the square root of sod all!

Sir Gio
8 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Cheers. We might be at cross-wires here though. I am talking about us preferring to relocate, but logistics preventing it. I don’t think that’s right.

No not relocating. The letter was in support of having all facilities including training on one site. Perhaps if the school site was acquired?

Icon of Symmetry
19 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

No not relocating. The letter was in support of having all facilities including training on one site. Perhaps if the school site was acquired?

Ah, okay. Glad we never did that. Must have been when we were in administration and needed to renegotiate our deal with HWU. ?

The Oriam is about 15 minutes drive from Tynecastle, so it’s pretty handy, and it’s really close to Balerno High School where we have youth links now.

Good job whoever was more concerned about having everything on the same site never got their way, imo. Our set up is first rate, and I’d not want to change that for the sake of having our training centre on-site.

Sir Gio
34 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Ah, okay. Glad we never did that. Must have been when we were in administration and needed to renegotiate our deal with HWU. ?

The Oriam is about 15 minutes drive from Tynecastle, so it’s pretty handy, and it’s really close to Balerno High School where we have youth links now.

Good job whoever was more concerned about having everything on the same site never got their way, imo. Our set up is first rate, and I’d not want to change that for the sake of having our training centre on-site.

Think it was hypothetical from our point of view. We never thought about leaving our house 

Nookie Bear

Sure it’s quite common for teams to train miles away from their stadiums. 

How far is Melwood (?) from Anfield Rd? I’m certain Spurs train outside London as well. 

Jammy T
On 13/06/2019 at 15:44, Jambo92 said:

Don’t they have some sort of multi-millionaire benefactor?