Buffalo Bill

Aberdeen's new stadium...

Smithee
7 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Where are they getting 50 million ?

Haven't a clue, and let's face it, it'll end up being more than that. 

Mr Elwood P
1 hour ago, redm said:

Or they can be made to reapply from scratch and re-do all consultation. All of which costs money and time they probably don't have. 

Sometimes a lengthy delay is as effective at shutting plans down as a refusal, for certain projects.

Anyone know what the grounds are for judicial review? I don't fancy reading too much detail about it but I am interested if anyone knows the basics.

Illegality, irregularity and procedural impropriety.

It is basically a mechanism for enforcing the separation of powers doctrine by giving the judiciary power to insert checks and balances on the actions of public bodies. Different levels of deference or comity are attributed to the decision of the local authority dependant upon the issue at hand. National security or spending by a public body will always receive a higher level of deference from the judiciary. The concern is the legality of the decision and the process used to arrive at the decision and not the merits of the decision itself.

ericb

This whole thing is a smokescreen for Stewart Milne to build fancy beachside appartments on the Pittodrie site. There is more than enough land for them to renovate their current ground and only need to build 3 sides. 

Mr Elwood P
1 hour ago, ericb said:

This whole thing is a smokescreen for Stewart Milne to build fancy beachside appartments on the Pittodrie site. There is more than enough land for them to renovate their current ground and only need to build 3 sides. 

With the state of the house market in Aberdeen and Brexit looming I wouldn’t fancy investing in that project just right now.

1971fozzy
2 hours ago, ericb said:

Maybe, but smashing down their 3 shitheap stands and rebuilding onsite would be very costly. Not to add the reduced capacity during works etc. 

Probably in the grand scheme of things it will strangely work out not too much more given the sale of Pittodries land and the inevitable sponsorships etc they will get for new stadia. They are a one team city so get backed by businesses up there generously 

Edited by 1971fozzy

kirkierobroy

No team has yet increased attendances by scarpering to a Lego job on a bypass. So why they're insisting on 20,000 capacity...

RDSK
Posted (edited)

Looks like the court has sided with AFC.

EDIT: No to Kingsford have 21 days to appeal.

Edited by RDSK

Mikey1874
4 minutes ago, RDSK said:

Looks like the court has sided with AFC.

EDIT: No to Kingsford have 21 days to appeal.

Smithee

Well good luck to them, they'll need it. Someone mentioned that york's new 8,000 seater is costing 40 million, but aberdeens 20,000 seater plus training facility and infrastructure like bridges is expected to cost 50!

My. Arse. 

This could ruin them. 

XB52

Hope it goes ahead and is a success. Any club doing well is good for our game (apart from the weegie bigots of course)

Inch Hearts
7 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Well good luck to them, they'll need it. Someone mentioned that york's new 8,000 seater is costing 40 million, but aberdeens 20,000 seater plus training facility and infrastructure like bridges is expected to cost 50!

My. Arse. 

This could ruin them. 

It will all be funded externally I would guess. 

Smithee
1 minute ago, Inch Hearts said:

It will all be funded externally I would guess. 

As I remember they said they had something like 25-30 million accounted for, including the sale of Pittodrie.

If their benefactor is willing to pay for a stretch of the budget they'll be fine, but we've seen ourselves how much things can go over - if they have a 50% overspend that's an extra 25 million to find!

Nookie Bear
15 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Hope it goes ahead and is a success. Any club doing well is good for our game (apart from the weegie bigots of course)

I would rather Aberdeen struggled in the doldrums for a few decades, if its all the same to you :lol:

Sir Gio

Oddly enough heard yesterday 2024 is a realistic target if they get funding. 

First phase cost 10 million and there was a shortfall a wee while ago. Perhaps solved. 

A whole new stadium is a significant stretch but we shall see 

Cruickshank for Scotland
15 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I would rather Aberdeen struggled in the doldrums for a few decades, if its all the same to you :lol:

THIS!!!

XB52
2 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

it's your choice. You obviously enjoy watching the same two teams (or lately the same one team) win everything. I want Scottish football to be better and that means other clubs improving.

RedCity
35 minutes ago, XB52 said:

it's your choice. You obviously enjoy watching the same two teams (or lately the same one team) win everything. I want Scottish football to be better and that means other clubs improving.

This. Well said sir.

At the end of the day Scottish football is a joke it's all about two teams. Aberdeen and Hearts are two of Scotland's five biggest clubs yet Aberdeen have won a mere 1 major trophy in the last 23 years and Hearts have only won 3 in the last 56 years. And the other non old firm club that make up the biggest five teams is Hibs who have only won the Scottish Cup once in well over 100 years and last won the league in 1952.

If anyone thinks the above makes good reading, is acceptable and good for Scottish football then god help them. If AFC can't win the league then I'd love to see a team from Edinburgh do it. In fact anyone except those two bigoted and embarrassing institutions from the west.

I hear so many non old firm fans say "But if my team can't be the one to win the league then I don't want any other non old firm team to do it. I'm used to the old firm winning so I'm immune to it".

For me it's exactly that trail of thought that holds Scottish football back and means that in 50 years time we will almost certainly still be saying that Aberdeen were the last non old firm team to win the league in 1985. In fact in 50 or 69 years time it will be a quiz question as no living person will remember a title win other than the ugly sisters. 

So anything that any non old firm club does to try and improve ( like Hearts' new stand or AFC's new training facility and stadium) should be encouraged by all non old firm fans (long as it's not done via blatant hun type cheating). But Scottish football just isn't like that. Which is why Celtic and Rangers will continue to dominate it for as long as they so wish until someone somewhere eventually gives them an permanent route out of domestic Scottish football.

Eddie The Eagle

Good luck to the dons pittordrie is a terrible stadium it's basically part of the beach 

Harry Potter
3 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Agree with you on that bud.

Pants Shaton

For avoidance of doubt, no PHM would ever want Aberdeen to win anything.

I don’t miss much about ‘Therapist’ but his views on Aberdeen were spot on. 

RedCity
6 minutes ago, Pants Shaton said:

For avoidance of doubt, no PHM would ever want Aberdeen to win anything.

I don’t miss much about ‘Therapist’ but his views on Aberdeen were spot on. 

Ok I'll put that to the test.

There is an (admittedly remote) possibility of an Aberdeen vs Hibernian Scottish Cup Final this season. Going by your words you'd want Hibs to win that particular game then?

Nookie Bear
6 minutes ago, RedCity said:

There is an (admittedly remote) possibility of an Aberdeen vs Hibernian Scottish Cup Final this season. Going by your words you'd want Hibs to win that particular game then?

Daft question, it would be like asking you who you would like to see win a game between your true rivals: Dundee &ICT

The Treasurer
32 minutes ago, RedCity said:

This. Well said sir.

At the end of the day Scottish football is a joke it's all about two teams. Aberdeen and Hearts are two of Scotland's five biggest clubs yet Aberdeen have won a mere 1 major trophy in the last 23 years and Hearts have only won 3 in the last 56 years. And the other non old firm club that make up the biggest five teams is Hibs who have only won the Scottish Cup once in well over 100 years and last won the league in 1952.

If anyone thinks the above makes good reading, is acceptable and good for Scottish football then god help them. If AFC can't win the league then I'd love to see a team from Edinburgh do it. In fact anyone except those two bigoted and embarrassing institutions from the west.

I hear so many non old firm fans say "But if my team can't be the one to win the league then I don't want any other non old firm team to do it. I'm used to the old firm winning so I'm immune to it".

For me it's exactly that trail of thought that holds Scottish football back and means that in 50 years time we will almost certainly still be saying that Aberdeen were the last non old firm team to win the league in 1985. In fact in 50 or 69 years time it will be a quiz question as no living person will remember a title win other than the ugly sisters. 

So anything that any non old firm club does to try and improve ( like Hearts' new stand or AFC's new training facility and stadium) should be encouraged by all non old firm fans (long as it's not done via blatant hun type cheating). But Scottish football just isn't like that. Which is why Celtic and Rangers will continue to dominate it for as long as they so wish until someone somewhere eventually gives them an permanent route out of domestic Scottish football.

If what you say is true, why did your club vote with to keep things as they were when the clubs had a chance to make significant change.

Truth is you are no different from the Kilmarnocks and St Mirrens when it comes to bowing to the arse cheeks

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, XB52 said:

In fairness, this new stadium guarantees nothing except increased expectations.

RedCity
Just now, The Treasurer said:

If what you say is true, why did your club vote with to keep things as they were when the clubs had a chance to make significant change.

Truth is you are no different from the Kilmarnocks and St Mirrens when it comes to bowing to the arse cheeks

I agree. Those that run both of our clubs are a massive part of the problem. 

RedCity
Just now, Nookie Bear said:

In fairness, this new stadium guarantees nothing except increased expectations.

I totally agree. It guarantees nothing. But the new training facilities should help with youth development and player recruitment. We had to do something Pittodrie is a shit hole. It's good that Hearts did something in building a nice new modern stand which will increase revenue. 

The Treasurer
13 minutes ago, RedCity said:

I agree. Those that run both of our clubs are a massive part of the problem. 

Our club voted for change, your's chose to keep thing as they were.

Hearts owners (both past and present) have their faults, but hiding behind the OF comfort blanket is not one of them.

sadj
3 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Oddly enough heard yesterday 2024 is a realistic target if they get funding. 

First phase cost 10 million and there was a shortfall a wee while ago. Perhaps solved. 

A whole new stadium is a significant stretch but we shall see 

Was unfortunate enough to be stuck with a bunch of Aberdeen fans on Sunday not one has any interest in going to Westhill. Amuses me some say Kingswells when its right on the edge of Westhill. Already have foundations down for some bits so obviously weren’t bothered by the court case.

Was your info from your usual source if so would seem a good bet. Their progress is slow so the shortfall would make sense. 

cheetah

Hopefully this overruns and is over budget and sends them plummeting down the leagues.

RedCity
5 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Our club voted for change, your's chose to keep thing as they were.

Hearts owners (both past and present) have their faults, but hiding behind the OF comfort blanket is not one of them.

Yip Stewart Milne is a big part of the problem. He voted no doubt with his own business interest outside of football in mind. But he's not exactly the most popular AFC chairman there has ever been with his "A strong Rangers is good for Scottish football" shite. 

The fans are the only ones who can ever really try and force change. It'll never happen though. 

My initial post was was aimed at all non old firm clubs including the one I support which I accept are one of the worst culprits when it comes to the current status quo.

doctor jambo
2 minutes ago, RedCity said:

Yip Stewart Milne is a big part of the problem. He voted no doubt with his own business interest outside of football in mind. But he's not exactly the most popular AFC chairman there has ever been with his "A strong Rangers is good for Scottish football" shite. 

The fans are the only ones who can ever really try and force change. It'll never happen though. 

My initial post was was aimed at all non old firm clubs including the one I support which I accept are one of the worst culprits when it comes to the current status quo.

I think the move is an error.

I really like Pittodrie- its location, the seagulls, the Broadhill bar.

I used to live on the junction between Pittodrie street and King street and the sentimental attachment to the ground is strong ( used to work in catering at the ground)

One of my favourite away days.

Moving to a soulless out of town bowls could have a serious impact

Sir Gio
15 minutes ago, sadj said:

Was unfortunate enough to be stuck with a bunch of Aberdeen fans on Sunday not one has any interest in going to Westhill. Amuses me some say Kingswells when its right on the edge of Westhill. Already have foundations down for some bits so obviously weren’t bothered by the court case.

Was your info from your usual source if so would seem a good bet. Their progress is slow so the shortfall would make sense. 

I think it's fairly common knowledge funding is going to be very difficult. Even with a favourable return on Pittodrie. 

Training hub is an expense the stadium a massive leap. Nothing going to happen quickly from my separate sources. Unless a serious benefactor appears with anything up to 30 million in loose change and that could be conservative 

sadj
1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

I think it's fairly common knowledge funding is going to be very difficult. Even with a favourable return on Pittodrie. 

Training hub is an expense the stadium a massive leap. Nothing going to happen quickly from my separate sources. Unless a serious benefactor appears with anything up to 30 million in loose change and that could be conservative 

I still don’t understand why they didnt tie up with asv they use it anyway ? Not like its only 2/300 yards from Pittodrie

RedCity
Just now, doctor jambo said:

I think the move is an error.

I really like Pittodrie- its location, the seagulls, the Broadhill bar.

I used to live on the junction between Pittodrie street and King street and the sentimental attachment to the ground is strong ( used to work in catering at the ground)

One of my favourite away days.

Moving to a soulless out of town bowls could have a serious impact

Moving is always a risk but AFC have looked ahead with this. They know the area of land between Kingswells and Westhill will all evebtually be developed on (there are plans to expand Prime 4 with retail etc).

People will moan but at the end of the day most folk that go to the fitba these days drive certainly in Aberdeen they do. Car parking areas will pop up near the ground once it's actually built. Real football fans will always go and watch their club. They will moan about things but they'll still go. AWPR makes it far easier for away fans and fans from the Shire too.

The Treasurer
18 minutes ago, RedCity said:

Fair enough

The Treasurer
6 minutes ago, RedCity said:

Moving is always a risk but AFC have looked ahead with this. They know the area of land between Kingswells and Westhill will all evebtually be developed on (there are plans to expand Prime 4 with retail etc).

People will moan but at the end of the day most folk that go to the fitba these days drive certainly in Aberdeen they do. Car parking areas will pop up near the ground once it's actually built. Real football fans will always go and watch their club. They will moan about things but they'll still go. AWPR makes it far easier for away fans and fans from the Shire too.

Genuine question

How are they planning to get fans from the city centre to this new ground, bearing in mind a lot of away fans travel by train to Aberdeen.

Could be fun and games especially when your pretend "rivals" sevco are in town

sadj
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Genuine question

How are they planning to get fans from the city centre to this new ground, bearing in mind a lot of away fans travel by train to Aberdeen.

This is something I don’t get either. Places like soul supporting it yet by taking people out the city centre your pulling trade away from these places. Aberdeen city centre is already struggling. Weeknight games at the new stadium how will you provide transport links that allow away fans to even attend? There is a lot of holes in the plans which having gone through the Pieman times we as Hearts fans would be concerned about and a lot of Aberdeen fans answers seem to be its in hand. It also isn’t a quick journey from the train station to Westhill even with the bypass that road is still busy.

@RedCity doesn’t seem so far as deluded as some others on here though

Edited by sadj

RedCity

I agree the transport issue is an area of concern. The current plan of shuttle buses for me won't stack up long term but I think the club know that and out that in to get by planning regs etc. 

For away fans travelling by bus its much easier than going to Pittodrie travelling by train not so good as it's not walking distance from the station the way Pittodrie is.  

Home fans will mostly travel by car but most do now anyway. Pubs in town already saying they will lay on buses do they don't lose trade. Need to see how it all pans out no plan is ever a perfect one and no-one can see into the future. 

To be honest I think the stadium is probably still at least 5 years away from before it's built and ready. New training facilities will be ready by late summer. At the moment that's the most important thing.

Icon of Symmetry
1 hour ago, RedCity said:

I operate a sliding scale of revulsion, personally. As much as I detest 'The Dandies', they are still a few levels above the shite.

sadj
2 minutes ago, RedCity said:

I agree the transport issue is an area of concern. The current plan of shuttle buses for me won't stack up long term but I think the club know that and out that in to get by planning regs etc. 

For away fans travelling by bus its much easier than going to Pittodrie travelling by train not so good as it's not walking distance from the station the way Pittodrie is.  

Home fans will mostly travel by car but most do now anyway. Pubs in town already saying they will lay on buses do they don't lose trade. Need to see how it all pans out no plan is ever a perfect one and no-one can see into the future. 

To be honest I think the stadium is probably still at least 5 years away from before it's built and ready. New training facilities will be ready by late summer. At the moment that's the most important thing.

Why not tie up with state of the arts facilities at asv and rebuild pittodrie. Theres room to turn the pitch. I know the facilities in pittodrie are shit but the stand would need rebuilt if turning the pitch anyway. That to me just smacks of Milne’s greed

Icon of Symmetry
15 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Genuine question

Lyle_Lanley.png

RedCity
4 minutes ago, sadj said:

Why not tie up with state of the arts facilities at asv and rebuild pittodrie. Theres room to turn the pitch. I know the facilities in pittodrie are shit but the stand would need rebuilt if turning the pitch anyway. That to me just smacks of Milne’s greed

The ship sailed on that one as soon as the land behind the south stand was bought and the new flats were built. 

Milne has been determined to move to a new stadium ever since he became chairman. The man is a twat. Thankfully he is now surrounded by competent people in the boardroom. 

sadj
Just now, RedCity said:

The ship sailed on that one as soon as the land behind the south stand was bought and the new flats were built. 

Milne has been determined to move to a new stadium ever since he became chairman. The man is a twat. Thankfully he is now surrounded by competent people in the boardroom. 

It didn’t though , would require a bit of work but there is room imo. 

Can’t argue that bit. He claims all the praise yet he’s to blame for a lot of the bad. I think doing what they have during a period if relative sustained performance / success is probably the reason there isn’t as much shouting 

Icon of Symmetry
Posted (edited)

Oops

Edited by Glib and Shameless Crier

kila

Good investment but think the stadium design is a bit shan

RedCity
9 minutes ago, sadj said:

It didn’t though , would require a bit of work but there is room imo. 

Can’t argue that bit. He claims all the praise yet he’s to blame for a lot of the bad. I think doing what they have during a period if relative sustained performance / success is probably the reason there isn’t as much shouting 

Yeah you're probably right. Most fans preference was for Pittodrie to be renovated but Milne never wanted that and he got his way. It is what it is. The new stadium will be all shiny and modern when it's eventually built but was it the best thing for the club? I guess time will tell on that one.

Mikey1874
1 minute ago, RedCity said:

Yeah you're probably right. Most fans preference was for Pittodrie to be renovated but Milne never wanted that and he got his way. It is what it is. The new stadium will be all shiny and modern when it's eventually built but was it the best thing for the club? I guess time will tell on that one.

It is a bold move.

So good luck. 

doctor jambo
9 minutes ago, kila said:

its utter insanity.

tens of millions that will never be recouped by increased turnover.

They would need thousands of extra fans per season to make it  worthwhile.

Its not going to happen.

RedCity
9 minutes ago, kila said:

I don't think the design has been finalised yet. 

neilnunb
5 hours ago, Smithee said:

This could ruin them. 

?