Buffalo Bill

Aberdeen's new stadium...

David McCaig
1 hour ago, dc-jambo said:

I take issue with the last bit - surely it’s the best 10000-capacity ground in Scotland? And almost ideal for their needs? 

Livingston is a far better stadium.

sadj
2 hours ago, Inch Hearts said:

I can’t see many of their core fanbase walking away regardless. They will always have about 9-10k who will go regardless of moving and the rest depends on how well they are doing.    

Is Aberdeens core fanbase 9-10k when they are doing poorly? I’d of thought it was lower than that. 

Icon of Symmetry
3 hours ago, Darren said:

I'm going by this:

"St Johnstone enjoyed great success when the stadium first opened. The club won promotion to the Premier Division in their first season at McDiarmid. In the first season back in the top flight, the average attendance at McDiarmid was 6,000, approximately three times what it had been at Muirton. These high attendances led the club to create space for another 600 seats, raising the capacity to over 10,700."

And last season's average of 4,045.

If they had a markedly higher average attendance before 1974/75 then I'm happy to be corrected. 

A few years ago they wanted to demolish a stand because their crowds were so shit.

Inch Hearts
45 minutes ago, sadj said:

Is Aberdeens core fanbase 9-10k when they are doing poorly? I’d of thought it was lower than that. 

Don’t really know as they’ve been doing well for a good few years, would a lot of them walk away if they went bottom 6? 

sadj
16 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Don’t really know as they’ve been doing well for a good few years, would a lot of them walk away if they went bottom 6? 

Someone will have the stats always felt like crowds were poor when they were. Even with a good team , were they not only getting circa 18k v Celtic / Rangers etc 

Jambo92

I see Ryan Fraser has said he will probably run his contract down at Bournemouth meaning there will be no sell on fee for the Dandies.  Will be a blow to the new stadium budget.

Ugly American
59 minutes ago, sadj said:

Someone will have the stats always felt like crowds were poor when they were. Even with a good team , were they not only getting circa 18k v Celtic / Rangers etc 

Looking at their home matches in the second half of the season, they got 14+ against St. Mirren and Kilmarnock in January and February, 14k+ to Livi in March, then dropped off a bit to 13k or so for matches against Motherwell in the spring. 19k against Rangers in the middle of winter but then 15k to Celtic late in the season.

Back up to 2013, though, when they finished 8th, they only had 7k at a winter match against Hibs.

I spent a while several years ago looking over Hearts' attendances up and down, and my impression is that if you have a period of sustained success, you lose some in the next trough but clearly a lot of folks get the bug and come back. I don't think Pittodrie has Tynecastle's magic to enchant people, but I would still expect, say, if their form went in the ditch next season, they would still be pulling 10k to those winter matches against wee teams.

I strongly dislike out of town stadia and I think leaving the North Sea coast behind loses some of the charm for Aberdeen, but that's said from a nice warm armchair, and I don't know if I lived there if I'd want to go to a February match with the wind whipping off the water.

Of any of the teams in Scotland to have a bit of ambition, it's them and us and Hibs that can have any real belief in the possibility of a financial return. (Maybe Partick too, but they have a much bigger hill to climb to get there.) If nothing else, the bigger stadium will pay off nicely if they manage a EL group stage. They've certainly seen to the footballing side of things well in the last 5 years or so.

Icon of Symmetry
1 hour ago, Inch Hearts said:

Ask @Gorillajam, he knows loads about AFC. ?

Sir Gio
8 hours ago, Darren said:

St Johnstone are a good example of a club whose support has increases since moving stadium.

I don't think a new stadium with a smaller capacity than the existing one is particularly ambitious. I also don't understand why having the training facilities next to the ground is seen as so important. 

Apparently we would have done the same if possible. Cheaper apparently,  easier for logistics 

kirkierobroy
On 13/06/2019 at 11:05, dc-jambo said:

I take issue with the last bit - surely it’s the best 10000-capacity ground in Scotland? And almost ideal for their needs? 

I meant that ICT's was crappy, not St J's. I've had a season ticket for ICT so I can speak with confidence.

Icon of Symmetry
19 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Apparently we would have done the same if possible. Cheaper apparently,  easier for logistics 

Who would have done that if possible? 

Sir Gio
1 hour ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Who would have done that if possible? 

Ann Budge and Hearts, we :lol:

Icon of Symmetry
2 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Ann Budge and Hearts, we :lol:

Not how I remember it. I remember her being interviewed and saying that before she took the reins - and was just a supporter, in her mind the best option was to relocate. Then when she became our owner, she quickly realised that that was the wrong idea.

Sir Gio
15 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Not how I remember it. I remember her being interviewed and saying that before she took the reins - and was just a supporter, in her mind the best option was to relocate. Then when she became our owner, she quickly realised that that was the wrong idea.

She wrote a letter to this effect in support of the Aberdeen bid, unless she was telling lies.

Icon of Symmetry
1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

She wrote a letter to this effect in support of the Aberdeen bid, unless she was telling lies.

Don’t recall that. Can you link me? Or just paraphrase so I can google it. ?

I remember her saying that as a fan she thought it was so obvious that we needed to build a new stadium somewhere else, but when she became owner/custodian she very quickly learned that staying in our spiritual home was the only way to go, because of the strength of feeling from the fans.

Inch Hearts
Posted (edited)

Budge supported council-location with the training ground and mentioned how his advantaged we are for not being able to do so. 

Edited by Inch Hearts

Sir Gio
5 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Don’t recall that. Can you link me? Or just paraphrase so I can google it. ?

I remember her saying that as a fan she thought it was so obvious that we needed to build a new stadium somewhere else, but when she became owner/custodian she very quickly learned that staying in our spiritual home was the only way to go, because of the strength of feeling from the fans.

Nah. If you trawl through Aberdeen planning application you will find our letter of support along with other clubs who supported their bid

Icon of Symmetry
2 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Nah. If you trawl through Aberdeen planning application you will find our letter of support along with other clubs who supported their bid

Cheers. We might be at cross-wires here though. I am talking about us preferring to relocate, but logistics preventing it. I don’t think that’s right.

FarmerTweedy
On 13/06/2019 at 16:44, Jambo92 said:

I see Ryan Fraser has said he will probably run his contract down at Bournemouth meaning there will be no sell on fee for the Dandies.  Will be a blow to the new stadium budget.

Going off topic but I always find it somewhat amusing when every time there's some talk about us potentially selling someone, there's always folk on jkb banging on about how we must insist on a sell-on clause, despite the facts that a) the buying club is almost certain to insist on a lower fee at the outset in return for agreeing to a sell-on clause;  and b) there are a multitude of reasons why a sell-on clause could end up being worth the square root of sod all!

Sir Gio
8 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Cheers. We might be at cross-wires here though. I am talking about us preferring to relocate, but logistics preventing it. I don’t think that’s right.

No not relocating. The letter was in support of having all facilities including training on one site. Perhaps if the school site was acquired?

Icon of Symmetry
19 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

No not relocating. The letter was in support of having all facilities including training on one site. Perhaps if the school site was acquired?

Ah, okay. Glad we never did that. Must have been when we were in administration and needed to renegotiate our deal with HWU. ?

The Oriam is about 15 minutes drive from Tynecastle, so it’s pretty handy, and it’s really close to Balerno High School where we have youth links now.

Good job whoever was more concerned about having everything on the same site never got their way, imo. Our set up is first rate, and I’d not want to change that for the sake of having our training centre on-site.

Sir Gio
34 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Ah, okay. Glad we never did that. Must have been when we were in administration and needed to renegotiate our deal with HWU. ?

The Oriam is about 15 minutes drive from Tynecastle, so it’s pretty handy, and it’s really close to Balerno High School where we have youth links now.

Good job whoever was more concerned about having everything on the same site never got their way, imo. Our set up is first rate, and I’d not want to change that for the sake of having our training centre on-site.

Think it was hypothetical from our point of view. We never thought about leaving our house 

Nookie Bear

Sure it’s quite common for teams to train miles away from their stadiums. 

How far is Melwood (?) from Anfield Rd? I’m certain Spurs train outside London as well. 

Jammy T
On 13/06/2019 at 15:44, Jambo92 said:

Don’t they have some sort of multi-millionaire benefactor?

Icon of Symmetry

How's this coming along then? Have they broken ground yet?

https://www.kingsfordstadium.co.uk/timeline/

8 September 2017 – Meeting hosted by Soul Bar, Aberdeen in support of the stadium at Soul Bar – meeting starts 5.30pm

11 September 2017 – Kingswells Community Council meeting, 7pm – 9pm at Adventure Aberdeen Fairley Road, Westhill, Aberdeen

13 September 2017 – Pre-determination hearing will take place at Aberdeen City Council.

17 September 2017 – Westhill and Kingswells For Kingsford Update meeting, Holiday Inn, Westhill, 6pm to 8pm.

11 October 2017 – Full Council meeting to decide stadium planning application.

12 December 2017 – Closing date for responses to further consultation.

17 January 2018 – Pre-determination hearing will take place at Aberdeen City Council, 9.30am at Aberdeen City Council;

29 January 2018 – Full Council meeting to decide stadium planning application, 10.30am at Aberdeen City Council;

18 April 2018 – Council agree legal agreement to allow construction of training complex and stadium to begin;

June 2018 – Work to commence construction of training complex due to begin;

June 2019 – opening of new training complex;

2020-21

The 20,000 capacity stadium would be expected to be completed by the start of the 2020-21 season.

Barack
1 minute ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

How's this coming along then? Have they broken ground yet?

8 September 2017 – Meeting hosted by Soul Bar, Aberdeen in support of the stadium at Soul Bar – meeting starts 5.30pm

11 September 2017 – Kingswells Community Council meeting, 7pm – 9pm at Adventure Aberdeen Fairley Road, Westhill, Aberdeen

13 September 2017 – Pre-determination hearing will take place at Aberdeen City Council.

17 September 2017 – Westhill and Kingswells For Kingsford Update meeting, Holiday Inn, Westhill, 6pm to 8pm.

11 October 2017 – Full Council meeting to decide stadium planning application.

12 December 2017 – Closing date for responses to further consultation.

17 January 2018 – Pre-determination hearing will take place at Aberdeen City Council, 9.30am at Aberdeen City Council;

29 January 2018 – Full Council meeting to decide stadium planning application, 10.30am at Aberdeen City Council;

18 April 2018 – Council agree legal agreement to allow construction of training complex and stadium to begin;

June 2018 – Work to commence construction of training complex due to begin;

June 2019 – opening of new training complex;

2020-21

The 20,000 capacity stadium would be expected to be completed by the start of the 2020-21 season.

Those 9.5k season ticket holders must be desperate to get in, and find a spare seat.👍🏻

Icon of Symmetry
7 minutes ago, Barack said:

Those 9.5k season ticket holders must be desperate to get in, and find a spare seat.👍🏻

:lol:

I noticed some photos of them building the training facility back in April. What's the state of play here @IveSeenTheLight I'm guessing the timeline has been revised and the training facility isn't open yet?

Seeing as how the work has started, then I'm guessing some money has already changed hands to pay for construction. Is someone paying for this up front, and are Aberdeen FC going to pay them back from the sale of Pittodrie?

sadj
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

I noticed some photos of them building the training facility back in April. What's the state of play here , I'm guessing the timeline has been revised and the training facility isn't open yet?

Seeing as how the work has started, then I'm guessing some money has already changed hands to pay for construction. Is someone paying for this up front, and are Aberdeen FC going to pay them back from the sale of Pittodrie?

The training facility is most definitely not open yet. They have foundations down or did when I drove past a few weeks ago not sure if they have moved on @Sir Gio will give you a better balanced position on where its at than the weirdie sheep boy. He has to see it more often than me. 

I suppose it might be open and they have just been training on earth etc taking a leaf out of Hibs book on training facilities

Edited by sadj

Sir Gio
3 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

I noticed some photos of them building the training facility back in April. What's the state of play here @IveSeenTheLight I'm guessing the timeline has been revised and the training facility isn't open yet?

My colleague said October. Coming on now, far more of a shape,  pitches seeded, floodlights up. 3 months late I was told 

Sir Gio
Just now, sadj said:

The training facility is most definitely not open yet. They have foundations down or did when I drove past a few weeks ago not sure if they have moved on @Sir Gio will give you a better balanced position on where its at than the weirdie sheep boy. He has to see it more often than me. 

Have to drive by every day

:sob:

Basically a mecanno set the first building up. State of the art mind you 

sadj
Just now, Sir Gio said:

My colleague said October. Coming on now, far more of a shape,  pitches seeded, floodlights up. 3 months late I was told 

A21763F9-690C-4EC8-B9E3-E86C3C06055A.jpeg

sadj
Just now, Sir Gio said:

Have to drive by every day

:sob:

Basically a mecanno set the first building up. State of the art mind you 

I didn’t want to say you had to go past everyday and remind you of such a vile and depressing thought. 

IveSeenTheLight
6 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

The training ground funds are in place and last I heard the training facilities are expected to be completed in October.

Pans Jambo

WHO CARES?

What is it with the sheep all over these boards?

Anderson5
30 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

WHO CARES?

What is it with the sheep all over these boards?

In fairness he was answering a question asked directly to him, in a thread about the sheep stadium. 

If you don’t care then just don’t come in the thread. 

kirkierobroy

With more authoritative houndings of Laplanders as tonight they could well occasionally have a +10k crowd at the Bypassodrome. If it's ever built.

soonbe110

If you only had 9,500 season ticket holders why would you spend £30-50m on a new 25,000 seater stadium? Intriguing. 

Icon of Symmetry
1 hour ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

The training ground funds are in place and last I heard the training facilities are expected to be completed in October.

Thanks. Is the funding plan any clearer yet? I asked how it was going to be paid for previously, but you weren’t really sure at that point. 👍

ToqueJambo
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

If you only had 9,500 season ticket holders why would you spend £30-50m on a new 25,000 seater stadium? Intriguing. 

I've been to Aberdeen. A taciturn bunch. This way they can leave a seat between each person so they don't have to talk to each other at the match. Also Milne's going to make an absolute fortune redeveloping Pittodrie.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Smith's right boot
32 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Pretty sure it's a smaller stadium they are moving to, 19k.

ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, kirkierobroy said:

With more authoritative houndings of Laplanders as tonight they could well occasionally have a +10k crowd at the Bypassodrome. If it's ever built.

The Baadome.

sadj
10 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

The Baadome.

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

10 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

I've been to Aberdeen. A taciturn bunch. This way they can leave a seat between each person so they don't have to talk to each other at the match. Also Milne's going to make an absolute fortune redeveloping Pittodrie.

😮how dare you suggest Milne wants the land Pittodries on. Not like he’s been trying to get them away from there for 20+ years....

10 hours ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Pretty sure it's a smaller stadium they are moving to, 19k.

20k i think

10 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Thanks. Is the funding plan any clearer yet? I asked how it was going to be paid for previously, but you weren’t really sure at that point. 👍

🤔

Sir Gio
18 hours ago, sadj said:

I didn’t want to say you had to go past everyday and remind you of such a vile and depressing thought. 

Because I'm driving, I don't get a really good look, tried to slow a bit this morning. Seems they are fairly well advanced with what looks like the changing area (fancy bomb shelter), probably 3 pitches outlined and floodlit, with bus shelter type seating along the perimeter of what would be the main pitch I assume, it seems to be seeded and the most advanced. 1 definitely maybe 2 also very close to completion, but from my view seeding still needed.

I don't want to by hyper critical, but the work has not exactly gone at apace, and it will be the equivalent of moving into a new build and the rest of the street is still getting built.

It is a fair bit of real estate, once(if) fully completed, it will be a good centre for them, I think with the speed of this work, it would be fantasy to believe they will be playing games there in 2 years, but I am no expert of course.

sadj
7 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Because I'm driving, I don't get a really good look, tried to slow a bit this morning. Seems they are fairly well advanced with what looks like the changing area (fancy bomb shelter), probably 3 pitches outlined and floodlit, with bus shelter type seating along the perimeter of what would be the main pitch I assume, it seems to be seeded and the most advanced. 1 definitely maybe 2 also very close to completion, but from my view seeding still needed.

I don't want to by hyper critical, but the work has not exactly gone at apace, and it will be the equivalent of moving into a new build and the rest of the street is still getting built.

It is a fair bit of real estate, once(if) fully completed, it will be a good centre for them, I think with the speed of this work, it would be fantasy to believe they will be playing games there in 2 years, but I am no expert of course.

Just imagine it was the real estate before Milne sold some of the land at Kingsford off when the council first rejected his plans all those years ago.... No , I wouldn’t say its gone at any pace at all. Calculated pace I’d guess so there’s money for it🤷🏻‍♂️

Sir Gio
40 minutes ago, sadj said:

Just imagine it was the real estate before Milne sold some of the land at Kingsford off when the council first rejected his plans all those years ago.... No , I wouldn’t say its gone at any pace at all. Calculated pace I’d guess so there’s money for it🤷🏻‍♂️

Definitely managing the investment. Took them a good while to raise the 10 million for this. 

They seem to have attracted investment how deep the pockets are remain to be seen,  but they do have good people at Aberdeen for the moment 

IveSeenTheLight
16 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

‘It’s still not fully lined out.

Cormack reckoned (in June), they aim to have it all lined out within the next 12 months (11 months now)

5 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

They've said by the start of the 2022/23 season, so in 3 years time. The training ground to be ready this October.

Definitely managing the investment. Took them a good while to raise the 10 million for this. 

They seem to have attracted investment how deep the pockets are remain to be seen,  but they do have good people at Aberdeen for the moment 

Yes, there is ongoing investment from the states, I’d expect naming rights will be raised along with the proceeds of selling Pittodrie

sadj

By good you mean rich not good 😉 are any Aberdonians good people? Well bar yourself , family and my Mrs obvs.😝

Icon of Symmetry
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

‘It’s still not fully lined out.

Cormack reckoned (in June), they aim to have it all lined out within the next 12 months (11 months now)

They've said by the start of the 2022/23 season, so in 3 years time. The training ground to be ready this October.

Yes, there is ongoing investment from the states, I’d expect naming rights will be raised along with the proceeds of selling Pittodrie

Does it not worry you slightly that they’ve started a £51m project that your club’s entire future hinges on, and nobody has bothered to communicate how it’s going to be paid for in any kind of meaningful detail? I’d be shitting myself it that was us.

As for the date of the stadium opening, it was actually supposed to be 2020/21 season:

81B8ED91-5901-4FEA-BB44-9CF373DC5425.png

Edited by Icon of Symmetry

IveSeenTheLight
2 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Does it not worry you slightly that they’ve started a £51m project that your club’s entire future hinges on, and nobody has bothered to communicate how it’s going to be paid for in any kind of meaningful detail? I’d be shitting myself it that was us.

There was initial concerns.

Ive been over them before.

Now I’m increasingly confident it will come through and come good.

2 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

As for the date of the stadium opening, it was actually supposed to be 2020/21 season:

Thats old news. If you want the up-to-date info, it’s currently saying it will be in time for the 2022/23 season

Phase Two is scheduled to be completed in time for the 2022/23 season.

ToqueJambo
10 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

There was initial concerns.

Ive been over them before.

Now I’m increasingly confident it will come through and come good.

Thats old news. If you want the up-to-date info, it’s currently saying it will be in time for the 2022/23 season

Phase Two is scheduled to be completed in time for the 2022/23 season.

New-Stadium-1024x576.thumb.jpg.1a6b80ff46f55c0dff1480e18206a298.jpg

That's a big, chipper looking  crowd. Nothing like a bit of creative licence! So how long will it take that lot to get out the car park or onto the "shuttle buses". 1 hour. Two? Can just imagine the stories of lost Dons fans trying to cut across fields in their desperation to get home and being found snuggling sheep to stay warm...