New Stand: Ongoing work (updated)

Clerry Jambo

I recall Vlad’s new main stand was going to be a lot bigger than our new stand however; it was estimated at £55Million and that was a good few years ago. £18M for what we have (or will have when its finished) including the new pitch, bar, wheatfield undercroft etc etc is great value IMO. 

fabienleclerq
1 minute ago, Scnorthedinburgh said:

Going to assume you have been drinking.

Where do you think we could.have bought land, got planning permission and built a.new ground?

I'll assume your not worthy of a proper response.

Footballfirst
3 minutes ago, Mr Brightside said:

Seems that there are 4 reasons why:

1) Original estimate was too low;

2) Additional works have been included, pitch, tv studio, police box, wheat field undercroft;

3) We (Hearts) have changed our minds on what we want included inside the stand; and 

4) Revamping some of the areas already built.

None of the above is difficult to establish.

Re 2) A new pitch, work on the police box and the Wheatfied undercroft were always part of the original plans. Two big screens were included initially, but shelved.

Some plans have clearly been adapted, and some new items added and some dropped, but £7m worth?

Yes, big developments often cost more as specs are changed, but I suspect that some of the main costs were significantly out (steel?, concrete?, glass?, labour?).

My concern has always been the legacy of the overspend, how it will be funded and how long spending on the team will be compromised.

Scnorthedinburgh
1 minute ago, fabienleclerq said:

I'll assume your not worthy of a proper response.

I am, just think you really haven't taking the realities of selling tynie and then finding somewhere to move to.

And all the associated costs, and issues.

All would outstrip the over run on the new stand

fabienleclerq
25 minutes ago, Scnorthedinburgh said:

I am, just think you really haven't taking the realities of selling tynie and then finding somewhere to move to.

And all the associated costs, and issues.

All would outstrip the over run on the new stand

Of course they would.

Someone said £60m for a new stadium, that could've been at sighthill or Carrick knowe or maybe even at the Side of Murrayfield!! Where there's a will there's a way.

I didn't really want to get into a let's move debate, but £18m has been spent already add whatever Tynie is worth and then you aren't far off the cost of a new stadium. It just seems a lot considering what Hibs spent on theirs.

Edited by fabienleclerq

Scnorthedinburgh
7 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

Of course they would.

Someone said £60m for a new stadium, that could've been at sighthill or Carrick knowe or maybe even at the Side of Murrayfield!! Where there's a will there's a way.

I didn't really want to get into a let's move debate, but £18m has been spent already add whatever Tynie is worth and then you aren't far off the cost of a new stadium. It just seems a lot considering what Hibs spent on theirs.

The money we would make for selling tynie, would not cover buying land in the area, if any was available.

Next time your at Easter road check their main stand, not close to ours.

I agree cost sounds strange but as has been said, most project have cost issues.

40 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

Of course they would.

28 minutes ago, Scnorthedinburgh said:

The money we would make for selling tynie, would not cover buying land in the area, if any was available.

Next time your at Easter road check their main stand, not close to ours.

I agree cost sounds strange but as has been said, most project have cost issues.

Worth remembering Easter Road is an ugly rodent infested shit-heap that looks like four completely unrelated buildings sitting vaguely in the same vicinity as each other. A shit heap they couldn’t afford to pay the mortgage on too... 

Edited by Glib and Shameless Crier

10 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Mistakes have been - as well documented and debated on this thread.  I have been in the construction industry for over 35 years and TBH most major projects have cost over runs due to design errors and a flawed cost plans.

You must be one of the few who thinks the view of the match was better from the old stand.

I miss my pillar !

Everything worth watching seemed to happen behind my pillar ?

Surely the complaints about toilets and catering facilities are defunct now.

Usually get served quickly at the kiosks there is plenty staff.

Now that the concourse open all the way round if one set of toilets is busy just walk round to the Gorgie or Wheatfield stands.

Only my opinion of course but I'm unsure of what people were expecting. It suits my needs although I don't do hospitality so can't comment on that.

People seem to be forgetting the 18 million  is the cost of the other stadium redevelopments as well and not just the stand.

8 hours ago, Taffin said:

As I said it works. Do any of those reasons (regardless of validty) make the concourse area better? No.

Should it have been done differently? Sounds like no from what you've said. Again, does that mean the concourse doesn't have issues? No.

You’re complaining about the concourse???? Honestly? 

1 hour ago, fabienleclerq said:

Of course they would.

How much do you think Tynecastle us worth?  Not £40m that’s for sure. 

4 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Without the contributions of greeting faced moaners (or those who really care about a 6 to 7m overspend as I would prefer to call rhem) the club would not be where it is today. The new owners or their representatives need to be held to account as much as the old ... indeed maybe more as it is now or soon will be all our money that funds the club.

I don’t actually think we have had a £6-7m overspend though. We have had a £2-3m overspend (possibly) and a £3-4m additional spend due to changing of requirements and project scope ie going from a basic finish to a higher quality finish. How people can’t understand this is beyond me.

Is it not that since the project was envisaged our cash position etc has improved meaning we can afford to invest more to end up with something better? 

I understand some would have preferred to spend more on the team in the short term, things should have been better on the park the last two seasons, but given this major infrastructure investment is almost behind us and the much improved standard of squad I think we are back on track.  We should be looking at 2-3 players per window max moving forward and over the next few seasons the quality across the squad should hopefully improve year on year.  It’s always a balancing act for businesses when investing in cap-ex projects vs business as usual stuff. 

8 hours ago, Taffin said:

I'm not saying it isn't functional; just that's it's a horrible layout. A completely white tunnel with no outside light.

Its fine, it does the job. It's just disappointing that architecturally it is a horrible space to be in. It's very closed in with a low roof.

The back of stand course in the other stands despite needing some tlc are much more pleasant spaces to occupy.

Don't agree with any of that.

I like the concourse and now that it's joined with the other stands it's certainly not claustrophobic imo.

One other thing I like is the smokers now have an area where they are allowed to have a fag.

Anyone who has suffered the thick fog in the toilets in the old stand will appreciate the new arrangement.

Came on here to see what’s up, and can’t believe it’s the same old so-and-sos moaning about our magnificent new stadium, which fills all of the rest of us with pride every time we go there. Who the f@@@ are these guys?? I know they’re not hibs - but what the f&&& are they? What do they want? Why don’t they fly away?

32 minutes ago, dc-jambo said:

Came on here to see what’s up, and can’t believe it’s the same old so-and-sos moaning about our magnificent new stadium, which fills all of the rest of us with pride every time we go there. Who the f@@@ are these guys?? I know they’re not hibs - but what the f&&& are they? What do they want? Why don’t they fly away?

I thinkk in the main you will find that they are retired persons with far too much time on their hand and so full of their own importance that they are convinced that they are fighting an injustice on behalf of the rest of us who are blind to the truth.

3 hours ago, graygo said:

I thinkk in the main you will find that they are retired persons with far too much time on their hand and so full of their own importance that they are convinced that they are fighting an injustice on behalf of the rest of us who are blind to the truth.

This. Get a life, stop thinking short term , look at the strategy and accept the vast majority of Hearts and are delighted where we are thinking back only a few years ago when we were in administration. If these so called fans on here who are constantly complaining about anything and everything, by bashing away on their keyboards  I have one message - increase your FofH contribution to sssist the cause! 

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 hour ago, Independence said:

This. Get a life, stop thinking short term , look at the strategy and accept the vast majority of Hearts and are delighted where we are thinking back only a few years ago when we were in administration. If these so called fans on here who are constantly complaining about anything and everything, by bashing away on their keyboards  I have one message - increase your FofH contribution to sssist the cause! 

Here here 

fabienleclerq
6 hours ago, davemclaren said:

How much do you think Tynecastle us worth?  Not £40m that’s for sure. 

I don't know, say it's ten million then you are half way to a stadium by someone's figures.

My point is we are spending £18m on upgrades on a site that at the moment we can't extend again. Our fan base has grown a lot in the last 20 years, if it keeps going then there's a chance Tynecastle will be too small. It's a massive investment and the higher it goes makes me wonder if it would've been better spent on a new ground. Not that it matters now.

Btw it is possible to critique the club this build without being a Hibs ***** etc, the stand is now 50% over budget and that's money we could be spending on the first team.

the stand is now 50% over budget

No the stand isn't.

Have you not read any of the recent posts on that subject? 

kingantti1874

I don't know, say it's ten million then you are half way to a stadium by someone's figures.

My point is we are spending £18m on upgrades on a site that at the moment we can't extend again. Our fan base has grown a lot in the last 20 years, if it keeps going then there's a chance Tynecastle will be too small. It's a massive investment and the higher it goes makes me wonder if it would've been better spent on a new ground. Not that it matters now.

Btw it is possible to critique the club this build without being a Hibs ***** etc, the stand is now 50% over budget and that's money we could be spending on the first team.

Nonsense, about 3m on other stuff such as the pitch, and we decidied to "invest" extra inncertain areas in order to generate sustainabke revenues suxh as the fan bar.. 

fabienleclerq
37 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

No the stand isn't.

Have you not read any of the recent posts on that subject? 

I'm going on the figure of £11m to build it so we aren't a kick in the arse of 50% over. And that was to include general work around the whole stadium too iirc. 

Edited by fabienleclerq

Francis Albert
8 hours ago, DalryJambo said:

I don’t actually think we have had a £6-7m overspend though. We have had a £2-3m overspend (possibly) and a £3-4m additional spend due to changing of requirements and project scope ie going from a basic finish to a higher quality finish. How people can’t understand this is beyond me.

Is it not that since the project was envisaged our cash position etc has improved meaning we can afford to invest more to end up with something better? 

I understand some would have preferred to spend more on the team in the short term, things should have been better on the park the last two seasons, but given this major infrastructure investment is almost behind us and the much improved standard of squad I think we are back on track.  We should be looking at 2-3 players per window max moving forward and over the next few seasons the quality across the squad should hopefully improve year on year.  It’s always a balancing act for businesses when investing in cap-ex projects vs business as usual stuff. 

I have not seen any explanation of what this higher finish means. Nor an explanation of what has been added. Balanced by what has been deleted. Presumably the space occupied by the fans bar was going to be occupied by something. And the inclusion of the premium hospitality space for the Matchday Exprrience has been removed from scope by leaving that in the Gorgie Suite. The offices that were planned to be in the new stand are now remaining in the Wheatfield undercroft so again are out of the new stand scope. Ann's statement is the familiar "its because we want to make it the best we can for the fans" which was the explanation for the second delay in opening the stand ("I looked at the plans again and decided the toilets and kiosks weren't adequate"). As for "the major infrastructure investment is behind us" we still have a finding gap of over 6m as far as we can tell with no idea of how it is to be met. It is equivalent to over a further full four years of FoH donations.

The AGM will hopefully reveal some facts and proper scope amd cost variation analysis to supplement Ann's PR spin.

Fxxx the SPFL
2 hours ago, fabienleclerq said:

The extra wouldn't have been spent on the team because the mystery benfacotr wouldn't have coughed up for the team only to help with the new stand IMO.

14 hours ago, fabienleclerq said:

Plenty positives but plenty of what seem amateur mistakes also.

We seemed to be surprised by how much space we had, how's that even possible? The toilet situation to begin with was a shambles, it's been rectified though. The design of the directors box and press box were strange choices, especially the entrance/exit and also the view from the top weren't what we expected. £18m is a huge investment and is getting to the point it might've made sense getting a new stadium!

If we could have sold Tynie at a premium we still would have been about £30m short of building a new stadium going by Aberdeen's projected costs which are likely to rise like ours did. I'm happy we stayed in Gorgie.

Can't understand how some fans think, at times. 

Hearts are Gorgie, take us away from there, and we will never be the same. 

The idea that we could afford to build, construct, and populate an entirely new stadium, is laughable.

I vehemently opposed even the short move to Murrayfield, it simply isn't in the Clubs long term interests to leave   Gorgie. 

Edited by Mister Dee

11 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

A new pitch, work on the police box and the Wheatfied undercroft were always part of the original plans. Two big screens were included initially, but shelved.

I'm not sure this is correct.

56 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I have not seen any explanation of what this higher finish means. Nor an explanation of what has been added. Balanced by what has been deleted. Presumably the space occupied by the fans bar was going to be occupied by something. And the inclusion of the premium hospitality space for the Matchday Exprrience has been removed from scope by leaving that in the Gorgie Suite. The offices that were planned to be in the new stand are now remaining in the Wheatfield undercroft so again are out of the new stand scope. Ann's statement is the familiar "its because we want to make it the best we can for the fans" which was the explanation for the second delay in opening the stand ("I looked at the plans again and decided the toilets and kiosks weren't adequate"). As for "the major infrastructure investment is behind us" we still have a finding gap of over 6m as far as we can tell with no idea of how it is to be met. It is equivalent to over a further full four years of FoH donations.

The AGM will hopefully reveal some facts and proper scope amd cost variation analysis to supplement Ann's PR spin.

Yes Franny; but through your own admission at the time you accepted you weren't wearing your glasses and missed the majority of the kiosks clearly shown on the plans.

I realise you're quoting Ann however you did make a big song and dance about it at the time.

Edited by Bad Religion

14 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

As did the chief operating officer who was resposible for overseeing the project (and ordering the seats apparently). But hey any adverse comments are just because people like to moan!

Repeatedly moaning about the same, well-established facts is, probably, a trademark behaviour of people who like to moan.

14 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Without the contributions of greeting faced moaners (or those who really care about a 6 to 7m overspend as I would prefer to call rhem) the club would not be where it is today. The new owners or their representatives need to be held to account as much as the old ... indeed maybe more as it is now or soon will be all our money that funds the club.

You are over-estimating the number of greeting-faced moaners among us. All FoH members helped save the club, and thankfully only a minority of us are greeting-faced moaners.

letsalldothebeattie
18 minutes ago, Mister Dee said:

The idea that we could afford to build, construct, and populate an entirely new stadium, is laughable.

I vehemently opposed even the short move to Murrayfield, it simply isn't in the Clubs long term interests to leave   Gorgie. 

:spoton:

Selkirkhmfc1874
25 minutes ago, Mister Dee said:

Spot on 

4 hours ago, fabienleclerq said:

Jeez at least get your facts correct!!!

Really sad how some people on here give the impression they are enjoying criticising Hearts re the new stand. Open your eyes, open your minds and stick to the facts!

9 minutes ago, Independence said:

Really sad how some people on here give the impression they are enjoying criticising Hearts re the new stand. Open your eyes, open your minds and stick to the facts!

Probably more apt to those not criticising in fairness.

"What do you mean you don't like something? Hearts did it therefore it is perfect"

Not endlessly singing praises isn't moaning or criticising. It's a discussion thread about the new stand and some people think parts of it are ill thought out and we are perfectly entitled to express that. People like Thomaso has kindly pointed out why those things have had to be like that and that is helpful and fair enough.

fabienleclerq
4 minutes ago, Independence said:

Why are you permanently raging?

Have you got the facts and figures? Of the top of my head the stadium improvements were initially meant to cost £11m and we had £1m set aside for contingency. 

We are now spending £18m which is a lot of money for Hearts to spend. 

Footballfirst
46 minutes ago, Bad Religion said:

I'm not sure this is correct.

This article followed the initial public presentation in May 2016

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-unveil-plans-for-new-12-million-main-stand-1-4116908

....... and following the planing application in August 2016

http://www.constructionenquirer.com/2016/08/08/new-hearts-main-stand-in-for-planning/

https://www.scottishconstructionnow.com/article/plans-submitted-for-hearts-new-main-stand

There have also been references to other works at successive AGMs.

23 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

This article followed the initial public presentation in May 2016

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-unveil-plans-for-new-12-million-main-stand-1-4116908

....... and following the planing application in August 2016

http://www.constructionenquirer.com/2016/08/08/new-hearts-main-stand-in-for-planning/

https://www.scottishconstructionnow.com/article/plans-submitted-for-hearts-new-main-stand

There have also been references to other works at successive AGMs.

I'm at work and have only glanced at the links you've provided. I can't however see any reference to the new pitch, work on the police box or work in the Wheatfied undercroft being included in the £12m planning application for the new stand. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

New plant room either for that mater.

Edited by Bad Religion

I think there needs to be more of an understanding of why some people are worried.

We got into trouble under Robinson with a debt of something like 24m IIRC and eventually went into administration with debts not that much higher under Vlad. We've now got our club back and are building all aspects, but the fear is that we don't have 18 million, where's it coming from and is it going to bring us more debt and trouble? Are things under control? Are good decisions that we can afford being made?

This was sold as something that would leave us with no debt, but with a bit of am information vacuum, we're being asked to take a LOT on trust financially and I can't blame people for being nervous - 12m was a lot of money that we didn't have, and an extra 6 SHOULD be making us pay attention at the very least. 

Having said I take solace in knowing that Ann Budge is a good, intelligent woman with Hearts' genuine best interests in her mind. For sure mistakes have been made but that's life, and at the end of the day I just don't think she would leave us in a bad way.

If we're honestly going for a higher quality fit out with more facilities then I trust that the funding MUST be there to do it. I watch closely but bite back my concerns because of Ann Budge's credibility. But I get why some are nervous.

fabienleclerq
6 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I think there needs to be more of an understanding of why some people are worried.

We got into trouble under Robinson with a debt of something like 24m IIRC and eventually went into administration with debts not that much higher under Vlad. We've now got our club back and are building all aspects, but the fear is that we don't have 18 million, where's it coming from and is it going to bring us more debt and trouble? Are things under control? Are good decisions that we can afford being made?

This was sold as something that would leave us with no debt, but with a bit of am information vacuum, we're being asked to take a LOT on trust financially and I can't blame people for being nervous - 12m was a lot of money that we didn't have, and an extra 6 SHOULD be making us pay attention at the very least. 

Having said I take solace in knowing that Ann Budge is a good, intelligent woman with Hearts' genuine best interests in her mind. For sure mistakes have been made but that's life, and at the end of the day I just don't think she would leave us in a bad way.

If we're honestly going for a higher quality fit out with more facilities then I trust that the funding MUST be there to do it. I watch closely but bite back my concerns because of Ann Budge's credibility. But I get why some are nervous.

Good post.

16 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Sensible post from a concerned individual actually seeking to learn and constructively criticise where appropriate... rather than that of someone who gets off on moaning, complaining and generally being a massive annoyance to other people, and who possesses a hilariously high opinion of himself and what effect his posts on an internet forum have had on saving the club.

Allowayjambo1874
5 hours ago, fabienleclerq said:

I get what your saying regards capacity but all these figures you are quoting are based on ‘what someone on here said’ .

The bottom line is Aberdeen are estimating £50m cost on a 20k stadium in a farmers field. Whatever we got for the land at Tynecastle would be offset by the cost of buying land in Edinburgh (unless we relocated to somewhere on the outskirts) so even with the overspend on the stand, financially we are nowhere near being able to build a new (bigger) stadium.

I’m no architect but wonder if in the future when we win the champions league and get tens of millions of pounds and need to make the stadium larger if the wheatfield could be knocked down and rebuilt going further back and be a huge two tiered stand. Don’t think we need to worry about that for the time being!! 

13 hours ago, fabienleclerq said:

Of course they would.

Carrick Knowe back as a longer term option with the golf club now closed. 

9 minutes ago, Allowayjambo1874 said:

I get what your saying regards capacity but all these figures you are quoting are based on ‘what someone on here said’ .

The bottom line is Aberdeen are estimating £50m cost on a 20k stadium in a farmers field. Whatever we got for the land at Tynecastle would be offset by the cost of buying land in Edinburgh (unless we relocated to somewhere on the outskirts) so even with the overspend on the stand, financially we are nowhere near being able to build a new (bigger) stadium.

I’m no architect but wonder if in the future when we win the champions league and get tens of millions of pounds and need to make the stadium larger if the wheatfield could be knocked down and rebuilt going further back and be a huge two tiered stand. Don’t think we need to worry about that for the time being!! 

I think we have sufficient capacity now for the next 25 years. The Wheatfield will be heading towards being 50 years old by then so replacement/upgrading may well be on the agenda.  

12 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Carrick Knowe back as a longer term option with the golf club now closed. 

The course is still open though. It's the busiest council course so can't see it being sold off any time soon.

Edited by Ray Gin

1 hour ago, Bad Religion said:

I'm at work and have only glanced at the links you've provided. I can't however see any reference to the new pitch, work on the police box or work in the Wheatfied undercroft being included in the £12m planning application for the new stand. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The wheat field undercroft is mentioned in the original EN article but the others you mention i couldn't see either.

We only decided on a hybrid pitch this year.

Edited by jambogemz

gordon simpson
13 hours ago, dc-jambo said:

they will find something wrong no matter what a bigger bunch of fuds you could not meet 

2 hours ago, Smithee said:

Budge says we can afford it, and we know we don't have borrowing facilities so we cannot get into debt. We have benefactors and FoH and increasing turnover. There is no way Budge hasn't done the sums every step of the way.

Yes we should always pay attention to the financial aspects of the club but I don't see this as a major concern, certainly not one that should allow free reign to the serial whingers (you know who they are, quite different to those of us who will chip in with constructive criticism). 

31 minutes ago, jambogemz said:

The wheat field undercroft is mentioned in the original EN article but the others you mention i couldn't see either.

We only decided on a hybrid pitch this year.

Yes but as a separate contract and therefore not included within the £12m for the new stand.

The cost of the Wheatfield undercroft work will of course be included within the £18m total.

Footballfirst
2 hours ago, Bad Religion said:

Ann Budge update 9 May 2016

You all know about our plans to develop our main stand. A number of you came along to the public meetings which were held at Tynecastle last week, where you heard more detail of what we are planning, of how we are approaching the development and of the likely timescales. 

In short, we are hoping to create the space needed for the larger stand by knocking down, not the current main stand, but the buildings behind the stand – the admin building, the shop building and the nursery. Before we can do this we will, of course, have to provide new temporary facilities which will be used during construction. The nursery will move to new facilities in Gerard’s Yard and everyone else will move into new facilities in the Wheatfield undercroft. Plans for these temporary facilities are currently being finalised. They should be ready for occupation in October, to allow the demolition of the old buildings in November of this year.

Ann Budge update 26 Sep 2016

We remain cautiously optimistic that our plans for the new stand will soon be approved; we have a key meeting on the 12th October with planners and I hope to be making some significant announcements shortly thereafter. Meanwhile, we are making great progress with the Wheatfield undercroft development and are on schedule for “the big move” early in November.

AGM slides - Dec 2016

Phase 1b - New Pitch - Summer 2017

Ann Budge update - 20 Feb 2017

As many of you will have seen for yourselves, our pitch has deteriorated badly over the last few weeks.  While we knew that we would have to address the replacement of our now 19 year old pitch sometime soon, we were hoping that it would see us through to the end of this season.  However, having carefully monitored the issues and having consulted a number of experts in this field, we have taken the decision to address the problem now.   We have, therefore, commissioned SIS (UK) Ltd, the industry leader in the field, to re-turf our pitch.

I can't be bothered digging out any more references. You can either accept what I have said previously and the references I have given, or you can reject them. It's your choice. It doesn't really make a difference.

My biggest concern, as I have repeated several times since the project started, is the funding of any shortfall and its potential impact on investment in the team in the short to medium term.

Edited by Footballfirst