New Stand: Ongoing work (updated)

Clerry Jambo

Cathro's Laptop

Is it just me?

The old main stand is as handsome as a fishbox!

I will be glad to see the back of it. Its reekin! Looks like an old prison or something.

Great pics of the site being cleared BTW - Thanks for the updates. Looking forward to the new frame going up.

No, it's not just you. I actually can't wait to see it being pulled down and a proper main stand that looks visually stunning put in its place.

Hey Greenginger?

Where's the nursery ya fecking deviant ?

Or is that photo faked ya feckin one eyed, three fingered mutant ?

:fth:

Ok,  who has photoshopped the nursery out of the picture, greenginger wont think its funny. 

I have very fond memories of it, but I think it looks shabby and dilapidated now. I can't lie about it. I am enjoying seeing it unobstructed, but I do not think it's particularly attractive. It reminds me of the old "Sweets" factory that was converted in to flats (The Maltings) on Slateford Road beside Matalan/Jewson.

Loved the smell of the hops it wafted all over the area and beyond.

Is it just me?

I will be glad to see the back of it. Its reekin! Looks like an old prison or something.

Great pics of the site being cleared BTW - Thanks for the updates. Looking forward to the new frame going up.

I get all this nostalgic stuff but it reminds me of a old bonded warehouse so I'm looking forward to watching the new stand go up.

Fxxx the SPFL

Loved the smell of the hops it wafted all over the area and beyond.

I used to walk past all the steamin hop lorries on my way to Roseburn primary school from my posh tenement home in Wheatfield place. Edited by Ray the auld git

I used to walk past all the steamin hop lorries on my way to Roseburn primary school from my posh tenement home in Wheatfield place.

Never knew there was a school in roseburn I went to Craiglockhart primary just because it was my local school. Pissed every morning and afternoon after passing that brewery. LOL .

Great progress too

No group of workies has ever had to put in as much graft as these boys. They're constantly being watched, filmed and photographed by strangers and getting it all put online - you can't get away with being a lazy buzzard or 2 hour lunches with that kind of scrutiny!

A few from this afternoon.

DSC_0055_zpsi3ggnl2g.jpg

DSC_0034_zps1he8ogre.jpg

DSC_0021_zpsqnwzmobp.jpg

DSC_0064_zpscsow6uee.jpg

It's amazing just how much space there is behind the Old Stand now that these buildings are gone. Never quite realised that it was so big until now.

The Natural Order

It's amazing just how much space there is behind the Old Stand now that these buildings are gone. Never quite realised that it was so big until now.

That's what struck me. I reckon the new stand's going to take up about 2/3 of that space maybe? It's going to be bloody huge!

Hey Greenginger?

Where's the nursery ya fecking deviant ?

Or is that photo faked ya feckin one eyed, three fingered mutant ?

:fth:

Post of the year as far as I'm concerned

Is it just me?

I have to admit that my judgement is a bit altered by sentimentality.  It's like looking at an elderly spouse, and remembering all the good times in years gone by.  (that'll be my last maudlin statement on this thread). :boak:

Certainly looking forward to seeing the new stand.  It'll be a cracker.

All roads lead to Gorgie

No group of workies has ever had to put in as much graft as these boys. They're constantly being watched, filmed and photographed by strangers and getting it all put online - you can't get away with being a lazy buzzard or 2 hour lunches with that kind of scrutiny!

It will be drones next controlled from somewhere close to Leith :sunny: 

Great pics again today.

I'd never noticed the variable positioned and, in some cases, sized windows on the old stand.  Does anyone know why it tapers to right hand side?

The right side of the old stand has always been a bit of a mystery, hidden away behind buildings and hedges, as I used to go on the terracing as a youngster and then flitted between Wheatfield, Gorgie and Roseburn when they came along.

It feels a little like being a kid again, enjoying all the lead up to Christmas as well as the big day.  It's going to be fun seeing the next stage with the stand starting to take shape before the grand opening!

Great pics again today.

I'd never noticed the variable positioned and, in some cases, sized windows on the old stand.  Does anyone know why it tapers to right hand side?

The right side of the old stand has always been a bit of a mystery, hidden away behind buildings and hedges, as I used to go on the terracing as a youngster and then flitted between Wheatfield, Gorgie and Roseburn when they came along.

It feels a little like being a kid again, enjoying all the lead up to Christmas as well as the big day.  It's going to be fun seeing the next stage with the stand starting to take shape before the grand opening!

I presume because the land the nursery owned ran right up to it at that side. This is map from 1933:

43680be640.png

Edited by kila

I presume because the land the nursery owned ran right up to it at that side.

This is from a 1933 map but illustrates that:

43680be640.png

Good spot!  Thanks kila.

Amazing how hemmed in the ground has been over the years. It's only now there's a bit of space to play with.

Looking at the stand pictures again, they did a great a great job blocking up half of some of the windows with the same non matching bricks used for the reception extension.  It's good to see a full view of the old stand for a while but I for one can't wait to see the back of it.

Bring on a big new modern stand!

Amazing how hemmed in the ground has been over the years. It's only now there's a bit of space to play with.

I love seeing old maps and how Tynecastle and Gorgie have evolved around each other. Hearts really are rooted in Gorgie and all the tradeoffs to stay in Gorgie are worth it

John mcCartney

asked about the layout of the place earlier in thread

great to see that from 1933,thanks

any earlier knocking around? even pre Leitch ?

asked about the layout of the place earlier in thread

great to see that from 1933,thanks

any earlier knocking around? even pre Leitch ?

One from 1899-1900 - before the stand and before the School End had a school. Lots of others on the NLS website. Streets around Gorgie and Dalry looking a bit more sparse.

http://maps.nls.uk/view/117745095

ab344e25540d1e7a0b6e0d1ba35f6f0a.png

Edited by EmbraCraig

Jack Torrance

One from 1899-1900 - before the stand and before the School End had a school. Lots of others on the NLS website. Streets around Gorgie and Dalry looking a bit more sparse.

Interesting maps. Maybe they should call the new roof terrace 'The Bowling Green'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I probably should have checked this prior to tonight, but I take it the new ticket office will be open tomorrow before the match?

Also, erm.... how do you get to it....? :whistling:

EDIT - FFS, just seen the link that was posted above that answers those questions :vrface:

Edited by tian447

Looks like there would be enough room to rotate the whole ground 45 degrees and build it bigger

90 degrees I assume you mean, but that would involve knocking down and rebuilding the Gorgie and roseburn too and even the FoH aren't made of money!

Bazzas right boot

Looks like there would be enough room to rotate the whole ground 45 degrees and build it bigger

Feck me, that would be job, if we can get 40k out of it and fill it, it might be worthwhile. Until then.

kingantti1874

90 degrees I assume you mean, but that would involve knocking down and rebuilding the Gorgie and roseburn too and even the FoH aren't made of money!

Na I meant 45 bud.. site would be longer on the diagonal I think

Love these maps, especially the side by side option http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=16&lat=55.9392&lon=-3.2313&layers=168&right=BingHyb

That's what struck me. I reckon the new stand's going to take up about 2/3 of that space maybe? It's going to be bloody huge!

It would be interesting to see a top down overlay of the new stand over the old stand

I presume because the land the nursery owned ran right up to it at that side. This is map from 1933:

43680be640.png

That's a really interesting view, from ground level I've never appreciated the amount of extra space there is behind the old stand.  The extra space must be at least twice the footprint of the existing stand.

1_zpsi1rkpani.jpg

I love the glass frontage of the main stand very classy.

Roughly:

470459911b.jpg4704694926.jpg

471022e9fb.png47102b7475.png

Cheers, it's going to be very impressive. :2thumbsup:  

Ok, who has photoshopped the nursery out of the picture, greenginger wont think its funny.

The guys a complete bellend. An embarrassment to his own club never mind himself. Arsehole that he is. Useless and full of bull. Edited by 1971fozzy

Rudolf's Mate

Looking at the second last picture. I didn't realise how small the old stand looked from the rear. The new one looks huge in comparison!

Exciting times [emoji1305]

PeterintheRain

I love the glass frontage of the main stand very classy.

Even now somebody wearing a green top is working on a Goldberg's joke to replace the pink bus shelter hilarity.

Even now somebody wearing a green top is working on a Goldberg's joke to replace the pink bus shelter hilarity.

Jealousy is a terrible affliction. It's really not our fault that they spent so much money on what basically looks like an annex of the Edinburgh Royal Infirmiry. :)