New Stand: Ongoing work (updated)

Clerry Jambo

jamboinglasgow

Thanks for all the photos. I am pleased that the club are using periscope and facebook live to show what is happening. Hope they continue to do that.

I agree with an earlier poster that thoughs its great seeing the progress made, it was a little bit sad seeing the wall of the admin building come down, a place that has been at Tynecastle since I was born (and back decades before that.) Something that has always been there, how many players have signed for Hearts in that building, some great players will have. And the wall was brought down quickly and like it was just a simple push.

I feel each day there will be big changes in what is gone, so look forward to seeing tomorrows demolition. 

Before Romanov, there used to exist a healthy rivalry between Hearts and Hibs. Certainly during the mid-80s, 90s, early-00s, other than letters and soundbites in the Evening News, and early web forums, you only really heard the views of the Hibs fans you knew personally. They had their 7-0. We had our superior league positions and over-all derby record.

I know a few Hibs fans, some of whom I can have a pint with and are on the most part, decent people...other than the fact they support Hibs.

But social media, and this post-Romanov era has spawned a generation of bitterness and obsession that can only be described as, at best, unhealthy, and at worst, damaging. I like using JKB, and I like slagging off Hibs (see my signature, below), but it's not done with any venom or hatred.

All their monolithic rhetoric about "Hertz ur Poppie theevvs" and "Hertz ur peedos" is, and with no little irony, coming from the lowest dregs of society who are scraping the bottom of their own barrel. It's unanswerable, undebatable nihilism.  

It's entirely plausible to think that in a year from now, Hibs will be back in the top flight and Hearts will have completed the new stand and life could return to normal, all be it with Hearts competing with the benefit of its healthiest position in decades. But I suspect Hibs' bitterness will continue for years to come. The legend that we all robbed the poppy charity, and whilst providing a safe haven for Graham Rix will continue, and even grow.

And the fact that this guy, Greenginger is actually turning up on site is as creepy, as it is worrying. But the fact that he's got hundreds of Hibs fans believing his conspiracy theories says more about them than it does about him.

Edited by Buffalo Bill

Before Romanov, there used to exist a healthy rivalry between Hearts and Hibs. Certainly during the mid-80s, 90s, early-00s, other than letters and soundbites in the Evening News, and early web forums, you only really heard the views of the Hibs fans you knew personally. They had their 7-0. We had our superior league positions and over-all derby record.

I know a few Hibs fans, some of whom I can have a pint with and are on the most part, decent people...other than the fact they support Hibs.

But social media, and this post-Romanov era has spawned a generation of bitterness and obsession that can only be described as, at best, unhealthy, and at worst, damaging. I like using JKB, and I like slagging off Hibs (see my signature, below), but it's not done with any venom or hatred.

All their monolithic rhetoric about "Hertz ur Poppie theevvs" and "Hertz ur peedos" is, and with no little irony, coming from the lowest dregs of society who are scraping the bottom of their own barrel. It's unanswerable, undebatable nihilism.  

It's entirely plausible to think that in a year from now, Hibs will be back in the top flight and Hearts will have completed the new stand and life could return to normal, all be it with Hearts competing with the benefit of its healthiest position in decades. But I suspect Hibs' bitterness will continue for years to come. The legend that we all robbed the poppy charity, and whilst providing a safe haven for Graham Rix will continue, and even grow.

And the fact that this guy, Greenginger is actually turning up on site is as creepy, as it is worrying. But the fact that he's got hundreds of Hibs fans believing his conspiracy theories says more about them than it does about him.

Good post. I'd only add that the problem you describe extends far beyond Hearts-Hibs to other sporting rivalries, into politics and other things that people argue about.

The problem is the prominence that social media offers to utter fuds, in my opinion.

No the opposite

I'm not directly in construction but a good architect is more involved than people think and the confidence Hearts have in him will be part of the reason for how they are proceeding.

As I read your post,   Accurate

Good post. I'd only add that the problem you describe extends far beyond Hearts-Hibs to other sporting rivalries, into politics and other things that people argue about.

The problem is the prominence that social media offers to utter fuds, in my opinion.

Agree, it does, but specific Hibs bitterness towards Hearts has been greatly accentuated by the Romanov/post-Romanov eras.

Agree, it does, but specific Hibs bitterness towards Hearts has been greatly accentuated by the Romanov/post-Romanov eras.

Fair enough.

In normal life I get on okay with Hibs fans.

Thought it was more Wallace Mercer trying to close them down.

Still looking forward to the zoomers being named and exposed.

The demolition could be being undertaken as a standalone project. If only one Contractor is used then a Principal Contractor might not be required.

However, the construction of the stand will be undertaken by multiple Contractors and therefore a Principal Contractor must be appointed under CDM.

Usually a project of this nature would be tendered as a complete package and the winning tenderer would be appointed as the Principal Contractor.

Appreciate that's this is boring chat and just glad that the works are underway and hopefully the stand is ready for the start of next season.

As I have confirmed before, the Club do not want to go down the Main Contractor route as they have had their fingers burnt previously on delays and claims for extra money from Main Contractors on previous stands.

They are appointing a highly qualified and experienced Project Manager who will fulfil the duties of the Principal Contractor - adhering to CDM Regs, programming, and co-ordinating all the subcontract work packages.

Jim Clydesdale is the Principal Designer and he is hugely experienced in the design and logistics of building stadia, and knows Tynecastle inside out. 

A Quantity Surveyor has been appointed to tender the subcontract packages, and will be in control of monitoring the budget and costs.

Also a well known Edinburgh firm of Consultant Structural Engineers have been appointed, and they are currently progressing the design of the steelwork to support the new Stand.

All these guys report direct to Ann Budge, who is hands on, intelligent, and is driving this project forward.

Add to the mix, most of the subcontract work is going to be carried out by experienced and very able Companies who in the main are run by Jambos and have the Clubs very best interests at Heart.  As such everybody will work together and any disputes or claims for extra money will be at a minimum.

So chill out guys - all is under control and moving in the right direction.

Edited by Thomaso

Mr Brightside

As I have confirmed before, the Club do not want to go down the Main Contractor route as they have had their fingers burnt previously on delays and claims for extra money from Main Contractors on previous stands.

They are appointing a highly qualified and experienced Project Manager who will fulfil the duties of the Principal Contractor - adhering to CDM Regs, programming, and co-ordinating all the subcontract work packages.

Jim Clydesdale is the Principal Designer and he is hugely experienced in the design and logistics of building stadia, and knows Tynecastle inside out.

A Quantity Surveyor has been appointed to tender the subcontract packages, and will be in control of monitoring the budget and costs.

Also a well known Edinburgh firm of Consultant Structural Engineers have been appointed, and they are currently progressing the design of the steelwork to support the new Stand.

All these guys report direct to Ann Budge, who is hands on, intelligent, and is driving this project forward.

Add to the mix, most of the subcontract work is going to be carried out by experienced and very able Companies who in the main are run by Jambos and have the Clubs very best interests at Heart. As such everybody will work together and any disputes or claims for extra money will be at a minimum.

Good update. Seems like all the bases are covered but not in the traditional way.

Personal opinion is that the approach described above leaves you more open to claims and delays, but hopefully that is not the case.

Looking forward to the new stand being completed.

Good update. Seems like all the bases are covered but not in the traditional way.

Personal opinion is that the approach described above leaves you more open to claims and delays, but hopefully that is not the case.

Looking forward to the new stand being completed.

You would be correct regarding claims and delays on a normal building contract where basically everybody is in it to make a buck.

This is not a normal project - this is a very special project that all Hearts fans want built on time, on quality, and on budget.  As I say all the people behind this project all have the best interests of HMFC at heart. 

They are appointing a highly qualified and experienced Project Manager who will fulfil the duties of the Principal Contractor - adhering to CDM Regs, programming, and co-ordinating all the subcontract work packages.

Add to the mix, most of the subcontract work is going to be carried out by experienced and very able Companies who in the main are run by Jambos and have the Clubs very best interests at Heart.  As such everybody will work together and any disputes or claims for extra money will be at a minimum.

Just tried to send you a pm but it bounced back.

Good post Thomaso. Hope it's all plain sailing like you say  :thumbsup:

No doubt there will be issues and problems that will come up during the building process, however I am confident that everybody involved in the project will work together to them sorted out.

Just tried to send you a pm but it bounced back.

Not sure why that would be - nothing in my folder and loads of message capacity left.

I mind when there was windows in the top of the old stand where they've now been boarded over.

You know I have never noticed that until you mentioned it and I saw the photos from the demolishing yesterday.

I wonder why they boarded them up.

You know I have never noticed that until you mentioned it and I saw the photos from the demolishing yesterday.

Cost of replacing with safety glass.

It's something I remember from years ago. Funny how these things stick with you.

Hackney Hearts

It's something I remember from years ago. Funny how these things stick with you.

From 2 years ago - not really surprising how that might stick with you!

From 2 years ago - not really surprising how that might stick with you!

Yiu know what I mean. I'm in the wheatfield so only round that way for tickets or the shop. :)

The Treasurer

The 1874 guys boarded them up 2 years ago. They were rotten, but they done some of the ones below & repaired the flat roof above the main entrance too.

You've mentioned the 1874 group.

As they have been involved in various projects around the stadium, I was wondering if they have any input on the current works.

I realise that what they have done, and they've done a great job, is nothing on the scale of what we are doing now.

Does anyone recall the old press box in the back of the main stand with the tiered workbenches and typewriters ?

I remember sitting up there and Stewart Brown was typing away.

Hibs supporter I seem to recall.

I'd have loved to have sat in the press box in the old stand at hampden. Bet that was some view.

You've mentioned the 1874 group.

As they have been involved in various projects around the stadium, I was wondering if they have any input on the current works.

I realise that what they have done, and they've done a great job, is nothing on the scale of what we are doing now.

None as far as I am aware of. They did a great job on what was emergency repairs and basic maintenance - the construction of the stand complex is a major build.

Does anyone recall the old press box in the back of the main stand with the tiered workbenches and typewriters ?

Yep

I'd have loved to have sat in the press box in the old stand at hampden. Bet that was some view.

old_hampden_park4.jpg

It looked like it could slide off the roof at any given moment.

old_hampden_park3.jpg

Incidentally, here's an image of the old North Stand, which was gone by the time I'd made my first visit there. Impressive in its own way.

Before Romanov, there used to exist a healthy rivalry between Hearts and Hibs. Certainly during the mid-80s, 90s, early-00s, other than letters and soundbites in the Evening News, and early web forums, you only really heard the views of the Hibs fans you knew personally. They had their 7-0. We had our superior league positions and over-all derby record.

But social media, and this post-Romanov era has spawned a generation of bitterness and obsession that can only be described as, at best, unhealthy, and at worst, damaging. I like using JKB, and I like slagging off Hibs (see my signature, below), but it's not done with any venom or hatred.

All their monolithic rhetoric about "Hertz ur Poppie theevvs" and "Hertz ur peedos" is, and with no little irony, coming from the lowest dregs of society who are scraping the bottom of their own barrel. It's unanswerable, undebatable nihilism.

It's entirely plausible to think that in a year from now, Hibs will be back in the top flight and Hearts will have completed the new stand and life could return to normal, all be it with Hearts competing with the benefit of its healthiest position in decades. But I suspect Hibs' bitterness will continue for years to come. The legend that we all robbed the poppy charity, and whilst providing a safe haven for Graham Rix will continue, and even grow.

And the fact that this guy, Greenginger is actually turning up on site is as creepy, as it is worrying. But the fact that he's got hundreds of Hibs fans believing his conspiracy theories says more about them than it does about him.

Another top post from you BB

old_hampden_park3.jpg

Incidentally, here's an image of the old North Stand, which was gone by the time I'd made my first visit there. Impressive in its own way.

That's some pic, Bill!! What year was that stand removed??

old_hampden_park3.jpg

That's some size of an enclosure.

I remember being in there for the 1976 SC final v Rangers.

No segregation and no fun!

old_hampden_park3.jpg

Was at last game before the North Stand was demolished Scotland v Sweden 1981

That's some pic, Bill!! What year was that stand removed??

Was at last game before the North Stand was demolished Scotland v Sweden 1981

[EDIT] It was still there when Aberdeen beat Rangers in the 1982 SCF.

0:54 sec

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1pVPAvI0Ag

Edited by Buffalo Bill

Sensible in good hands.

Fxxx the SPFL

old_hampden_park3.jpg

I was standing roughly were the picture was taken in the 1968 cup final aged 11 with my late auld man (Hibby) and younger brother who would have been 6 the only memory that sticks in my mind was back at Kings Park station trying to get on the special supporters train back to Haymarket my auld trying to pagger with anybody cos my brother had been dislodged from my auld man's coat tails and he couldn't see him. Good on him taking us through being of a Hibs persuasion.

J.T.F.Robertson

I was in that old stand at the 1968 Cup Final version Dunfermline.

I must have been in that "enclosure" area.

Was at the old Hampden a fair number of times including a World Cup qualifier with Poland. If memory serves it was Willie Johnstone's first game for Scotland and I think the attendance was just over 134,000. Whatever, it was scarily rammed.

old_hampden_park3.jpg

Was in it once, which is good enough for nostalgic purposes I suppose.

Scottish League v English League 1973, with my auld man.

2-2. John Duncan of Dundee got the Scotland goals, Mick Channon got the two England goals.

At least I think it was as I was only a nipper.

Edited by Boab

Francis Albert

That's some size of an enclosure.

I remember being in there for the 1976 SC final v Rangers.

No segregation and no fun!

It wasn't so much an enclosure as a huge terracing with very tall, but quite small and shallow stand built on top and behind. The back view was like one of those old 13 storey buildings in the Old Town. It was a very curious structure. 

The old Hampden certainly had a presence about it which the new Hampden totally lacks.

was lucky enough to be passing one sunday when they were replacing all the old wooden seats.got 4 of the old flip up seats from the press box in my loft.