New Stand: Ongoing work (updated)

Clerry Jambo

That's some size of an enclosure.

I remember being in there for the 1976 SC final v Rangers.

No segregation and no fun!

Snap mate, remember it like yesterday

Only a young teenager at the time with the auld man, uncles and friends, totally surrounded by blue noses and the bottles of whisky getting passed around as normal, not that I had any!!

Hackney Hearts

Scottish League v English League 1973

They should revive that fixture - reckon it would be a tight battle these days.

As regards the old North Stand at Hampden, we were in the North Terracing for the 1992 Semi against Airdrie and it was a building site at the back with various bits fenced off.

Whether that was the old one coming down or the new one going up, i'm not sure.

Francis Albert

old_hampden_park3.jpg

Incidentally, here's an image of the old North Stand, which was gone by the time I'd made my first visit there. Impressive in its own way.

The light beige area of the terracing in the bottom right hand corner is presumably one of the first areas of the terracing to be concreted. The rest used to be just earth with wooden strips dividing the steps. I remember the dust storms that used to follow a goal on a dry day, or any day under the roofed area of terracing at the Mount Florida end .

The light beige area of the terracing in the bottom right hand corner is presumably one of the first areas of the terracing to be concreted. The rest used to be just earth with wooden strips dividing the steps. I remember the dust storms that used to follow a goal on a dry day, or any day under the roofed area of terracing at the Mount Florida end .

It was more Blaize than earth, FA. Went to a few Scotland games as a kid and remember we beat Northern Ireland 3-0. There was dust after every goal.

It was iconic, Hampden....but manky !

jamboinglasgow

old_hampden_park4.jpg

It looked like it could slide off the roof at any given moment.

Would agree with you there. Press would lose anything not held down on a table at that angle. I'm sure Murrayfield used to have a press box like that as well.

Anyway back on the thread, where are the pictures from today? I am getting withdrawal symptoms after the flood of photos from yesterday and Friday.

scott herbertson

Yep

For some dim (very) and distant reason I went to the 1974 Hibs Celtic League Cup final with a mate and his hibs supporting dad - his dad keeled over in the dust half way through - 6-3 to Celtic so I'm not sure whether it was the score or the dust that did for him

jambogemz, on 22 Nov 2016 - 10:07 PM, said:jambogemz, on 22 Nov 2016 - 10:07 PM, said:

Greenminger has posted another exclusive.

I like post #702 on that thread where the boy basically tells him to stop slavering and get over it and Mingers only come back is if ya don't like it post else where

Edited by hearts007

Bazzas right boot

Goany someone ask greenginger if he ever feels ******* stupid right before he reveals his next crackpot conspiracy theory straight off the back of his latest disappointment and lack of understanding of the process. I would like to know if having a 100% record in getting everything spectacularly wrong ever causes him to pause before battering out the next pile of pish. :rofl:

It's a talent.

Bazzas right boot

Whos the Hearts poster on there.

JT Fae the toon, must have an account here?

Edited by Tosh'sleftfoot

Thanks for photos Farin

Yeah, thanks to everyone, it means a lot to those of us who can't be there.

As Mr S said, I'm surprised at how emotional I feel seeing these shitey buildings come down, knowing you'll never see them again.

I'm really not looking forward to seeing the old girl getting pulled down

Footballfirst

The view of the back of the stand now looks almost "panoramic" © FA   ......... well © Ann Budge really.

Edited by Footballfirst

Francis Albert

The view of the back of the stand now looks almost "panoramic" © FA   ......... well © Ann Budge really.

I will grant it looks pretty good.

I doubt the new stand will look as good in 20 years let alone 100 years.

Yep

For some dim (very) and distant reason I went to the 1974 Hibs Celtic League Cup final with a mate and his hibs supporting dad - his dad keeled over in the dust half way through - 6-3 to Celtic so I'm not sure whether it was the score or the dust that did for him

Just transferred my digi cam one's onto my PC, so here's 4 jpegs from it.

61f33beba57e0ebd278eabb60255da6b.jpg

The social work building.

096d435c7c2be6f9d39932dcb3344cb6.jpg

Club shop front.

cb002386be2fa6291bdb7541e862ca4b.jpg

Inside the clubshop 1. Very dusty so image quality poor.

eb3da4ae68c69f49cc899b5e98d921ec.jpg

Inside the clubshop 2. Dust giving a poor quality image again..

thaks farin the pictures are fantastic looking forward to the next ones. cheers

Just transferred my digi cam one's onto my PC, so here's 4 jpegs from it.

61f33beba57e0ebd278eabb60255da6b.jpg

The social work building.

096d435c7c2be6f9d39932dcb3344cb6.jpg

Club shop front.

cb002386be2fa6291bdb7541e862ca4b.jpg

Inside the clubshop 1. Very dusty so image quality poor.

eb3da4ae68c69f49cc899b5e98d921ec.jpg

Inside the clubshop 2. Dust giving a poor quality image again..

Thanks for all the photos Farin - it's really good getting to see the progress being made.

The Main Stand looks much more impressive now that you can see a lot more of it. I won't miss any of those old buildings at the back though - that area's looked a right dump for a long time.

Bring on the new stand!

Lucille's Thirsty

I know our club has had hard times recentlybut I can't believe what we've had as our club store,it was an embarrassment for a club our size but thankfully that side of our club is getting improved massively.

I take it entry to the Gorgie Suite this weekend will be via the Gorgie Road entrance due to the demolition works?

I realise I could phone the club and ask them but just wanted to gloat that I will be enjoying hospitality on Saturday :pleasing:

Francis Albert

I know our club has had hard times recentlybut I can't believe what we've had as our club store,it was an embarrassment for a club our size but thankfully that side of our club is getting improved massively.

It wasn't great but it wasn't that bad, The one in the Gorgie Road entrance was better but not so much better, Onward and upward.

Stephen Muddie

It wasn't great but it wasn't that bad, The one in the Gorgie Road entrance was better but not so much better, Onward and upward.

I remember it being in the old building at the Gorgie/Main Stand corner, the one Sir Gay says we can't knock down (you know, the one that is almost fully demolished)

When Tynecastle underwent its most recent redevelopments in 1994 I can recall visiting relatives in the area frequently and wandering down to watch the progress on first the Wheatfield, truly impressive when first built and fairly state of the art, with tellies that worked and everything then in turn the School End and Gorgie a few years later. Was great then to check the progress and I'm so thankful for these pictures.

I can't believe how weird it is, some 20 years later almost, to see these long-standing buildings in McLeod St come down. If nothing else, I'll have fond memories of standing for ages in queues at them at one time or another.

When the old lady goes down I might even cry. Have been in main stand many a season. When the roof truss goes up it's going to feel very real indeed. Always remember the sight when the Wheatfield truss appeared

I remember it being in the old building at the Gorgie/Main Stand corner, the one Sir Gay says we can't knock down (you know, the one that is almost fully demolished)

When Tynecastle underwent its most recent redevelopments in 1994 I can recall visiting relatives in the area frequently and wandering down to watch the progress on first the Wheatfield, truly impressive when first built and fairly state of the art, with tellies that worked and everything then in turn the School End and Gorgie a few years later. Was great then to check the progress and I'm so thankful for these pictures.

I can't believe how weird it is, some 20 years later almost, to see these long-standing buildings in McLeod St come down. If nothing else, I'll have fond memories of standing for ages in queues at them at one time or another.

When the old lady goes down I might even cry. Have been in main stand many a season. When the roof truss goes up it's going to feel very real indeed. Always remember the sight when the Wheatfield truss appeared

Sir I share your sentiments - well commented!!

Edited by Jambo-Fox

Tynecastle has always felt very landlocked.

Knock a few buildings down though and suddenly there is a vast area for us to play with. As well as the piazza area, we are essentially constructing two buildings joined together. When finished, it will surely be one of the most impressive main stands in the country.

I take it entry to the Gorgie Suite this weekend will be via the Gorgie Road entrance due to the demolition works?

I realise I could phone the club and ask them but just wanted to gloat that I will be enjoying hospitality on Saturday :pleasing:

Will be normal route most likely. Same way in for Main Stand. At other times access is from Gorgie Road.

If nothing else, I'll have fond memories of standing for ages in queues at them at one time or another.

Not sure if queuing from 6am for cup final tickets in 2012 will go down as a fond memory but it was a good crack with the folk that were there. :)

Edited by mars plastic

Not sure if queuing from 6am for cup final tickets in 2012 will go down as a fond memory but it was a good crack with the folk that were there. :)

I would love to be queueing for cup final tickets again!!

Some pics from today's visit, things moving along fast.

05c0367047100629c70d531c2dec856b.jpg

1fe09461a49b94c4fd8db6c5db61ff7f.jpg

06adec81032477330834434c54cd53f3.jpg

4183bc562aff7677552e159b1a932126.jpg

262c1da4f40e0d4964afc70005690e28.jpg

3rd photo down would be what the dug out would look like if JJ was in charge watching the last few games....:D

Watching from afar and the progress is great to see - people that are close and following this with great interest, do you think this 1st phase will be all down and cleared before Saturday's game?

...a bit disco

Just as a small aside, I follow  ?@TerraceImages on Twitter and these are a couple of pics they've tweeted recently...

Cx49wvnXcAAlSBe.jpg

Stadium of Light with Roker Park in the background, Sunderland.

Cx49fv_XgAA_28M.jpg

Celtic Park, 1994.

Fitzroy Pointon

Just as a small aside, I follow  ?@TerraceImages on Twitter and these are a couple of pics they've tweeted recently...

Cx49wvnXcAAlSBe.jpg

Stadium of Light with Roker Park in the background, Sunderland.

Cx49fv_XgAA_28M.jpg

Celtic Park, 1994.

Good pics.  I was sat here wondering how the hell they put up they massive stands at Parkhead so quick. Then I remembered they played at Hampden for a season. Wonder how the regulars felt about those orange seats they had to sit in for years.  

That's some progress with the demolition. I guess asbestos collapses quickly...

I'm looking forward to seeing it in the flesh on Saturday almost as much as the game 

Did you win another draw ?

Stewards enquiry !!!

Mind the time he got sent to the stand & came into the enclosure then started singing the hearts song with the crowd. [emoji1] J.J loves the hearts.

Was that against Celtic?

Good pics.  I was sat here wondering how the hell they put up they massive stands at Parkhead so quick. Then I remembered they played at Hampden for a season. Wonder how the regulars felt about those orange seats they had to sit in for years.  

Could be wrong but aren't the formal colours of the Irish flag green, white and orange, rather than gold?

Edited by DETTY29

Good pics. I was sat here wondering how the hell they put up they massive stands at Parkhead so quick. Then I remembered they played at Hampden for a season. Wonder how the regulars felt about those orange seats they had to sit in for years.

They probably just called them gold seats.

as someone said earlier I hope theres a chance of someone salvaging all the stuff in the skips. That's a huge waste of chairs and no doubt there will be more stuff that would help some cash strapped organisations.

Suspect Device

Could be wrong but aren't the formal colours of the Irish flag green, white and orange, rather than gold?

Of course it is, it's just Selic fans making themselves feel better by not recognising it's actually orange.

I may be wrong, but I think I heard the Irish flag was based on green for the south, orange for the north and white for peace between the two.

Gold though ? My arse!!!

King Of The Cat Cafe

Of course it is, it's just Selic fans making themselves feel better by not recognising it's actually orange.

I may be wrong, but I think I heard the Irish flag was based on green for the south, orange for the north and white for peace between the two.

Gold though ? My arse!!!

A lot of diehard loyalists refuse to accept there is orange in that flag. They call the colours green, white, and yellow. Edited by King Of The Cat Cafe

A lot of diehard loyalists refuse to accept there is orange in that flag. They call the colours green, white, and yellow.

Is that your dog in your avatar? I've a chocolate lab too. Great dogs.