New Stand: Ongoing work (updated)

Clerry Jambo

I notice that the Hobbits are now reduced to thinking up incredibly witty names for the new stand like "The Budget Stand" or "The Craws Nest" - nope, me neither.

This at least signals a creeping realisation that the new stand is actually getting built and that Greenginger's prophecies were as accurate as his mentor Sergey's.

12 years a pair of slavers!

I notice that the Hobbits are now reduced to thinking up incredibly witty names for the new stand like "The Budget Stand" or "The Craws Nest" - nope, me neither.

This at least signals a creeping realisation that the new stand is actually getting built and that Greenginger's prophecies were as accurate as his mentor Sergey's.

12 years a pair of slavers!

The Tesco Stand would be a fitting tribute to our interested friends.

The picture that the Foundation have just put on their Facebook page is very smart. It shows half current stand and half the new stand.

I'm sure someone with better IT skills will post it shortly.

sainsbury :thumbsup:

I think they wee handing out parking fines at the last home game although some were claiming that it is illegal and you don't have to pay them but is it worth the risk?

The picture that the Foundation have just put on their Facebook page is very smart. It shows half current stand and half the new stand.

I'm sure someone with better IT skills will post it shortly.

If it's right it puts the seats at current level of stand nearer the pitch

post-5690-0-41714800-1479639693_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mikey1874

If it's right it puts the seats at current level of stand nearer the pitch

I think it's more symbolic than realistic, the back of the new seats will be a lot higher than the roof of the old stand.

15181586_1261474333922741_55374131609422

That may or may not be exactly to scale but it does show how 'in your face' the new stand will be compared to the old. The current stand sits almost outside of Tynecastle with the two wing sections overlapping the floodlight structures. The new stand will really enclose Tynecastle. 

I actually feel a little bit sad at even the outside buildings getting demolished so I expect a few tears when they bring the old girl down next spring.

But the new stand is going to look fantastic. It's going to feel very weird seeing it all for the first time.

That may or may not be exactly to scale but it does show how 'in your face' the new stand will be compared to the old. The current stand sits almost outside of Tynecastle with the two wing sections overlapping the floodlight structures. The new stand will really enclose Tynecastle. 

I actually feel a little bit sad at even the outside buildings getting demolished so I expect a few tears when they bring the old girl down next spring.

But the new stand is going to look fantastic. It's going to feel very weird seeing it all for the first time.

Exciting times. Really looking forward to watching the stand take shape.

FoH image not to scale, as the roof of the current main stand is not the height of the top row of seats in the other stands.

A nice picture to illustrate the difference, but I'd have preferred it to be to scale as the new stand will dwarf the old one!

I have a vague recollection that the house turned out to be only free for a year?

If I recall correctly, the guy that won the house taught at my school, Lasswade High. He also died quite young I believe, so didn't get to savour his good fortune for long.

Edited by Cut The Crap

WorldChampions1902

If I recall correctly, the guy that won the house taught at my school, Lasswade High. He also died quite young I believe, so didn't get to savour his good fortune for long.

The prize was outright ownership of both a Ford Sierra (remember them?) AND a new Miller house worth ?35k, located at Cameron Toll.

Each programme contained a numbered entry form and this was NOT a raffle but a 'game of skill'. Each entrant had to unscramble two words to read "MILLAR HOMES" and "ALEXANDERS". Crucially, each entry also asked you to provide a name for your dream home. The winning entrant IIRC suggested the name, "Worth a Pound".

I also bought a few programmes in the hope of winning.

Skivingatwork

The Tesco Stand would be a fitting tribute to our interested friends.

Would be somewhat ironic if the new stand was part funded by corporate sponsors and it was named The Tesco Stand.

jamboinglasgow

I agree its a good way to show the difference even if the scale is not right, You dont notice the roof at first, but when you do it seems massive. It will be impressive. And as you say, it will enclose Tynecastle, will be so much more intimidating to the opposition.

Will sad to see it go, even if it needed to be replaced and had so many problems, like the first car you had that kept breaking down, barely could get up to 70, and was 20 years old, but the memories you had with it and how you felt only you could keep it going means it will always be special.

Hackney Hearts

FoH image not to scale, as the roof of the current main stand is not the height of the top row of seats in the other stands.

It seems to be different at each end; i.e. the main stand roof looks to be higher than the back row of seats in the Gorgie, but marginally lower than the back row of seats in the Roseburn:

_79267354_tynecastle2.jpg

The prize was outright ownership of both a Ford Sierra (remember them?) AND a new Miller house worth ?35k, located at Cameron Toll.

Each programme contained a numbered entry form and this was NOT a raffle but a 'game of skill'. Each entrant had to unscramble two words to read "MILLAR HOMES" and "ALEXANDERS". Crucially, each entry also asked you to provide a name for your dream home. The winning entrant IIRC suggested the name, "Worth a Pound".

I also bought a few programmes in the hope of winning.

You are correct as to the prizes and entry details . I thought the winning entry was " worth a quid". I entered "My Hearts Desire" and was devastated I didn't win. :2thumbsup:

You are correct as to the prizes and entry details . I thought the winning entry was " worth a quid". I entered "My Hearts Desire" and was devastated I didn't win. :2thumbsup:

It seems to be different at each end; i.e. the main stand roof looks to be higher than the back row of seats in the Gorgie, but marginally lower than the back row of seats in the Roseburn:

That's a good photo to illustrate. I've always thought the main stand roof looked lower.

The FoH render is perhaps fairly accurate after all!

WorldChampions1902

The precise winning slogan was actually, "Worth a ?" and the competition was won by Mr and Mrs John Murray from Loanhead. A press story at the time caused "a giant hiccup in sales (of the programmes)", putting a dent in the profits from the competition.

Seemingly there were a few hundred entries with the slogan, "Hearts Desire". So it looks like your entry didn't stand a chance!

The precise winning slogan was actually, "Worth a ?" and the competition was won by Mr and Mrs John Murray from Loanhead. A press story at the time caused "a giant hiccup in sales (of the programmes)", putting a dent in the profits from the competition.

Seemingly there were a few hundred entries with the slogan, "Hearts Desire". So it looks like your entry didn't stand a chance!

Its all a long time ago but i thought the prize was decided by the number of the programme being drawn as in the way the H/T draw is made.

Agree there was some kind of low skill qualifier to comply with lottery rules.

_79267354_tynecastle2.jpg

The Main Stand looks higher at Gorgie stand because that end section is missing about 4 rows due to the restrictions in place when the Gorgie stand was built.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

WorldChampions1902

Its all a long time ago but i thought the prize was decided by the number of the programme being drawn as in the way the H/T draw is made.

Agree there was some kind of low skill qualifier to comply with lottery rules.

That would explain the unique numbers on the entry forms, so I think you are correct.

Anybody know what the press were saying about the competition? One thing I did notice in the two programmes I have from the Rangers game is that one of the middle pages containing the entry form has an insert pasted over the original form, whilst the other programme is 'unmolested' Looks like the early entry forms contained an error/irregularity that the media perhaps latched onto?

Hackney Hearts

The Main Stand looks higher at Gorgie stand because that end section is missing about 4 rows due to the restrictions in place when the Gorgie stand was built.

Of course - that explains it. 

Hearts-Tynecastle.jpg

So the FOH mock-up is probably fairly accurate.

Always wondered why there was 4 rows missing in the gorgie, anyone care to explain in more details as to what the restrictions were

Light to the surrounding tenements I think.

Always wondered why there was 4 rows missing in the gorgie, anyone care to explain in more details as to what the restrictions were

Affecting sunlight on the tenements behind

Different Class

kickback bingo!

Mr Brightside

The club appointed James Clydesdale to design the new stand as he did the previous 3. I assumed the club would then appoint a MC to carry out the build. Like I said, I'd find it strange if they didn't, however, I can only base that on my previous experience.

Got to agree that it is very unusual not to have a Principal Contractor in place for this type of project. If nothing else it makes the management of sub contractor interfaces much easier.

Got to agree that it is very unusual not to have a Principal Contractor in place for this type of project. If nothing else it makes the management of sub contractor interfaces much easier.

A competent project manager would and could do the same thing ?

Not at the expense of the riveting project manager/main contractor chat though!

:wow:

Ann will be waking up this morning thinking "Och, I knew we'd forgotten something".

Mr Brightside

A competent project manager would and could do the same thing ?

No, the project manager normally liaises with the client and checks the progress of the work, assess payments and claims etc.

Also you need to identify a Principal Contractor for CDM, which a Project Manger wouldn't do.

To give some context, I have been project manager or owners engineer for construction projects of this value and never worked on one where a Principal Contractor wasn't appointed.

Photo of the access to the Wheatfield undercroft at the memorial garden corner and also looking along the back of the Wheatfield. Taken Saturday. Looking good.Wheatfield 2.jpgWheatfield 1.jpg

Thanks to all who take regular photos, please keep them coming. Great to watch from afar.

The east end of Glasgow isn't that far away mate, amirite.

:pleasing: