New Stand: Ongoing work (updated)

Clerry Jambo

The primary thing I wanted was a project which looked towards the future. By that, I mean building something which could be incorporated into further stadium expansion and not based on designs from the 1990s.  

I agree that at the moment, 20,000 is probably enough for us. But at the same time, I'd like to think in a few years we'd be able to attract more fans (especially if Edinburgh population estimates are to believed). 

The current project 'completes' Tynecastle as Ann has said. There's no vision for future expansion and the current design essentially hems us in on the current playing surface. 

For example, I know the whole 'fill in the corners debate' has been done to death, but if we had went for the cantilever option, it would mean that if the option to redevelop the Roseburn came along in a few years time, then we'd be able to remove the floodlight pylon between the Main & Roseburn and fill the corner in without huge expense. 

CW_24gRWAAAGPKQ.jpg

I just hope they have told the people in the Gorgie road flats they are getting their houses reclad without any windows in it

Different Class

I just hope they have told the people in the Gorgie road flats they are getting their houses reclad without any windows in it

Very dated in my opinion. I'm disgusted at the club!

Ricardo Quaresma

So it seems that the overhanging edges have had to be removed, but it will still look like the original impressions

Surprised no-one has suggested this was done to reclaim some cost of re-laying the pitch

Edited by Ricardo Quaresma

davemclaren

I don't know if the cantilever design would have cost us more money though. The mock-up I posted was one of the options obviously being considered by the club. 

If we were to redevelop the Roseburn further down the line, then doing it now would actually save us money in the future.

I'm no engineer but I think the truss would be a significantly cheaper form of support compared to the cantiliver model, particularly given the corner supports were already in place.

I have a piece of paper in my pocket. I found it in the pub. Its has the lottery numbers for the next 10 years on it.

Bunch of gullible ****wits.

I'm no engineer but I think the truss would be a significantly cheaper form of support compared to the cantiliver model, particularly given the corner supports were already in place.

Possibly, I'm no engineer either. If that was the case, fair enough. 

That's the sort of thing I'm talking about though. It's not meant to take away from any of achievement in getting the project going in the first place. Just some ideas which I think would/could've benefitted the club in the long run. 

Shanks said no

17353124_689900821180030_597276587559396

Just thought I'd post the image again that everyone's arguing over.  

Unsure if this has been pointed out already but there are error(s) in this mock up. In the front elevation the top glazed section is 2 windows high but in the 2 side elevations the top glazed sections are 3 sections high. The crest and Tynecastle Park are also missing.

Edited by godandgorgie2012

That's the sort of thing I'm talking about though. It's not meant to take away from any of achievement in getting the project going in the first place. Just some ideas which I think would/could've benefitted the club in the long run.

It's happening so really what's the point in going over what if's?

Nobody knows if the pub picture is correct or incorrect until we get proper confirmation from the Club itself.

Let's all go forward and enjoy the progress.

Seriously what next ? The tiling in the toilets ?

To my eye one of the problems with the new rendering is that the horizontal white stripes look like 1960s architecture when sheet metal would be inserted in a grid metal framing system. If it's just a whiter glass, I imagine it will look considerably better in person than it does in the rendering.

I am not a fan of curtain walls in general so while I'm not in love with the newer design I also wasn't in love with the older one either. They certainly let in a lot of natural light, which I suppose is nice, but they still feel cold and impersonal to me.

The white strips will be glass spandrel panels to hide tie back brackets supporting the curtain waling.

If it turns out that a 20,000 seater stadium is not enough for us that'll mean we're challenging regularly at the top of the SPFL and doing well in Europe. So in that scenario, taking into account the massively increased income that would entail, we'll have plenty funds to change things and add to the stadium. Spending that extra money now would have been irresponsible and go against the "living within our means" ethos of the club going forwards. We're building something that is better than what we have, that will generate more income, that suits our purposes and that we can afford. Job done.

this :2thumbsup:

Fuxsake!  :rofl:

It's not so long since I was refreshing my phone every 2 seconds to see if I still had a club to follow, now people are fussing about the appearance of the glazing on the back of the new stand.  Who in the name of holy **** would want to be the manager, trainer, DOF, owner or even a player for a club with "supporters" like us?

Hackney Hearts

New design is fecking kak. Very disappointed.

Somebody else was clearly so disappointed that they took one look, went to the pub to drown their sorrows, crumpled the design up and threw it away.

The tiling in the toilets ?

I've seen the designs for the tiling. Not at all what I was expecting. Very disappointed.

Edited by Hackney Hearts

Hackney Hearts

The white strips will be glass spandrel panels 

Did they not do Seven Nation Army?

Glass Spandrel Panels is a much better name, like it.

The club would have explored any viable ideas at the commencement of this project after discarding obviously fanciful or uneconomic ones. This is rather evidenced by the artists mock-up of the cantilever model for the new stand.

Putting forward unqualified ideas on a fan forum this far into the project is akin to telling a chef how to prepare and season their food when it's already half way to being cooked.

siegementality

What a fecking car crash this thread has turned out to be. Will all the avid Grand Designs fans please feck off and leave this thread to posters who appreciate the fact that we are getting a new stand of any description. Thanks.

Watt-Zeefuik

I like it but to be honest who cares what it looks like from the outside.

I'd like an attractive stand but I care far more that it's cost effective and creates good atmosphere. 

The white strips will be glass spandrel panels to hide tie back brackets supporting the curtain waling.

Cheers. I think that will have a far more unique look than the rendering might make it seem.

Once again thanks to Thomaso for his information and to all the picture takers who have made this thread good when it's good.

Unknown user

What a fecking car crash this thread has turned out to be. Will all the avid Grand Designs fans please feck off and leave this thread to posters who appreciate the fact that we are getting a new stand of any description. Thanks.

No, I'll offer my opinion if and when I feel like it, it's up to you to deal with it if you don't like it.

I'm not apologising for the fact that the newer rendering looks worse in my opinion and I'm not going to be shouted down either

The last photo looks like the main stand took a physical battering from Hamilton last Saturday

Thanks for the Phots

Great pics from Maroon legions, keep them coming bud.

been here before

The tiling in the toilets ?

I'd always understood there was to be a white and maroon theme to the square tiles.

Until, that is, I was out for a couple of scoops this evening and some boy in the boozer told me there's drawings to suggest it may be more maroon and white. And the tiles are more an oblong shape.

Im totally f*ckin ragin about it. Going to pick up my Aberdeen ticket this morning and rip it up in the shop. I'm done for this season.

Budge, Levien and Cathro oot.

A simple question from a layman - has the design actually changed, or is it just the way that the glass will be held in place that has changed?

Rudi Hates Hibees

A simple question from a layman - has the design actually changed, or is it just the way that the glass will be held in place that has changed?

No one really knows as the club have not released final drawings or designs yet.

Nookie Bear

Fuxsake! :rofl:

It's not so long since I was refreshing my phone every 2 seconds to see if I still had a club to follow, now people are fussing about the appearance of the glazing on the back of the new stand. Who in the name of holy **** would want to be the manager, trainer, DOF, owner or even a player for a club with "supporters" like us?

Yep.

Without wanting to sound like we should accept anything and everything because we were recently in admin, if Budge had put forward a bigger plan to anticipate future crowds of 25k+ then we would habe wondered why she was plunging more cash into something we may never need.

It would have been irresponsible of her and the club.

Heres an idea. If you don't like the outside of the new stand, don't sit in it, I will take your seat and enjoy the facilities instead. Away and sit in the Roseburn.

Hagar the Horrible

Must be some glass

?390m for Glass, they better not upset Rangers fans by saying they are a new club,  No Friendlies either!!!!

All this from a shitty print out found in a boozer :rofl:

I want to see more pictures please, pictures of what is actually happening and not cartoons of what may or may not be ha happening in the made up future.

If people want to discuss fantasy plans and give their "expert" ideas of what they want to see the club build, then start a separate thread about it and leave this one to what it was intended for.

Someone did start a new thread which was quickly closed and they were told that all discussion should be made in this thread.....  :chase:

Buffalo Bill

17353124_689900821180030_597276587559396

First of all, we don't know for sure if this is the absolute final design. I've seen several versions of this stand over the last 12 months so we'll need to wait and see if the club officially announce or unveil this particular plan.

Secondly, if this is a representation of the final plan, then I for one have no problem with it. Is it as good as the previous images of a slate-grey wall of glass? No. But that wall of glass was still see-through in respect that it showed the steel work and floors behind it. Although that image was beautiful, perhaps it was never quite going to live up to the hype in real life. Likewise, perhaps this latest effort won't look as 'bad' as some think it does here. Changing weather and light will make the stand look different from the outside anyway at various times. No matter what, I still think it will have a 'wow' factor when we see it built. I'm as excited about it as ever.

Thomaso has explained the reasons why we've seemingly made this change. And the reasons given appear to be entirely acceptable and understandable. I'm grateful to him and his insights.

Design and taste are completely subjective. But reality checks are something we should all adhere to.

P.S. I would LOVE IT if it does indeed say 'Tynecastle Park'.

Edited by Buffalo Bill

The white trim and frame is the issue its over emphasised if it was dark and blended into the glass similar to the omni then it would look alot better.

I agree that it's the thick white trim in the artist impression that made it look very dated. Glad to read that this will not be the case when it's built.

Thomaso, 

What was the plan for the original glass facade in the official artists impressions? 

Curtain wall, structural glazing or spider glazing on a tension rod system? 

Please and thank you. 

The artist impression was a basic computer generated image.  As I have said before, the Club had to prepare a document to submit to planning in an extremely tight window of opportunity, and as such there was no time to produce actual construction details that were fully engineered. I was not involved with the project at this stage.

To achieve an 'all glass' fa?ade 'spider glazing' would be the usual system of choice, however I have given full details on here previously on how the present curtainwall solution was subsequently arrived at.

Francis Albert

All this from a shitty print out found in a boozer :rofl:

I want to see more pictures please, pictures of what is actually happening and not cartoons of what may or may not be ha happening in the made up future.

Someone who seems to be ITK has said this is more what it will look like than earlier images and has even explained the changes. I don't understand the fury about people discussing it.

It is not as bad on a further viewing. Darker coloured glass and maybe some colour other than white, or at least breaking up the white with some maroon might help. A more prominent central entrance would also help. Iam sure there will be at least cosmetic changes from this version.

• Moderators

Those commenting on the way in which the thread has been derailed by debate about aesthetics and glass are also now just further derailing the thread.

Please try and get back on topic and drop the personal comments. Move on. Thank you.

Someone who seems to be ITK has said this is more what it will look like than earlier images and has even explained the changes. I don't understand the fury about people discussing it.

It is not as bad on a further viewing. Darker coloured glass and maybe some colour other than white, or at least breaking up the white with some maroon might help. A more prominent central entrance would also help. Iam sure there will be at least cosmetic changes from this version.

It's just an untextured drawing FA.

It's not going to be white like that. Nor will the benches or stairs be white.

First of all, we don't know for sure if this is the absolute final design. I've seen several versions of this stand over the last 12 months so we'll need to wait and see if the club officially announce or unveil this particular plan.

Secondly, if this is a representation of the final plan, then I for one have no problem with it. Is it as good as the previous images of a slate-grey wall of glass? No. But that wall of glass was still see-through in respect that it showed the steel work and floors behind it. Although that image was beautiful, perhaps it was never quite going to live up to the hype in real life. Likewise, perhaps this latest effort won't look as 'bad' as some think it does here. Changing weather and light will make the stand look different from the outside anyway at various times. No matter what, I still think it will have a 'wow' factor when we see it built. I'm as excited about it as ever.

Thomaso has explained the reasons why we've seemingly made this change. And the reasons given appear to be entirely acceptable and understandable. I'm grateful to him and his insights.

Design and taste are completely subjective. But reality checks are something we should all adhere to.

P.S. I would LOVE IT if it does indeed say 'Tynecastle Park'.

Bill,

Can you or are you prepared to say if there is date on the images.

I got sight of a couple of pages from the initial Clydesdale Feasibility Study which certainly had the date on the first page, but can't remember about subsequent pages.

I've deleted the images so can't go back to.

Edit - found it. Front page only for date.

post-2075-0-34376100-1489662467_thumb.jpeg

post-2075-0-95232100-1489662551_thumb.jpeg

Edited by DETTY29

That curtain wall looks like it extends passed the interior building. Could this not have been done with the new stand?

Sorry I do not get what you are saying here.

The glazed curtain wall system will extend from 1st floor level right up to the roof parapet - not sure if that answers your question?

Bad Religion

Sorry I do not get what you are saying here.

The glazed curtain wall system will extend from 1st floor level right up to the roof parapet - not sure if that answers your question?

I think he means here:

Capture2_zpskkxnzixy.jpg?t=1489575752

I think he means here:

Capture2_zpskkxnzixy.jpg?t=1489575752

That is a horizontal plan section.  I was referring to a vertical section where the glazed curtain wall runs from the bottom of the 1st floor to the roof parapet level.

Bad Religion

That is a horizontal plan section.  I was referring to a vertical section where the glazed curtain wall runs from the bottom of the 1st floor to the roof parapet level.

Yes, but when the other poster refers to the glazing extending past the building exterior - I think he is referring to the circled areas which appear to have gone on the pub drawing.

The glass vision units will be clear as the views out from the corporate areas/restaurant are obviously important. 

The white bands everybody is referring to will not be white -  they are opaque glass panels to mask the edge of the floor slabs inside the building.  Whether the glass sealed units are clear or opaque, they are all faced with clear glass externally and during the day there will be a high degree of reflection meaning that the opage panels will not be highly visible, giving visual continuity of the fa?ade..

You really cannot judge how the fa?ade is going to look from the CAD generated drawing in circulation on here. 

I think he means will there be panes of class sticking out at the sides of the building. Only there for aesthetic reasons.

John Findlay

Let's get it built. Once it's finished let's pass cmoment then as to whether it is pleasing on the eye or not.

Yes, but when the other poster refers to the glazing extending past the building exterior - I think he is referring to the circled areas which appear to have gone on the pub drawing.

OK got you.

The basic answer is wind loadings to these glazed wings.  To support these pretty significant steel structural supports would have to have been installed which would have been obtrusive and ruined the sight lines of the fa?ade.

Bad Religion

OK got you.

The basic answer is wind loadings to these glazed wings.  To support these pretty significant steel structural supports would have to have been installed which would have been obtrusive and ruined the sight lines of the fa?ade.

Yes, that's what I would have thought. So the plan view of the revised facade will look more like this?

Capture1_zpslqs0dq3e.jpg?t=1489577011

The artist impression was a basic computer generated image. As I have said before, the Club had to prepare a document to submit to planning in an extremely tight window of opportunity, and as such there was no time to produce actual construction details that were fully engineered. I was not involved with the project at this stage.

To achieve an 'all glass' fa?ade 'spider glazing' would be the usual system of choice, however I have given full details on here previously on how the present curtainwall solution was subsequently arrived at.

Cheers for the response. Honestly appreciate it.

So basically, the all glass facade idea never really got running, except for the few early artist impressions?

Do you know if there's any artist conceptions of the pitch side?

I think the new artist impression won't do it justice as you say tbh. It looks like it is 1960s style, when in reality, it will look more modern.

My other 'criticisms' or 'queries' regarding the project stand, however none are aimed at you. I understand your points around the tight timescale, but in my professional opinion there was other solutions to the nursery issue. We don't need to trudge up old ground though.

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk