New Stand: Ongoing work (updated)

Clerry Jambo

The pub design is basically it without the glass facade, by the looks of it.

Quite interesting that a essentially a sheet of glass makes the difference between a modern design and a brutal 'New Club-esque' monstrosity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks like Livingston designer outlet. Hope it's not like that picture.

90% of facades to major new builds in Edinburgh, and any other city in the UK for that matter, have glazed curtainwall systems.

August Landmesser

I'm pretty comfortable using the pictures from the club website and the planning application brochure (along with Thomaso's great updates on here) as my guide to what the New Stand will look like, rather than relying on a crumpled up bit of paper from a bloke in the pub.

It looks brutal putting them side by side like that.

Genuinely looks like the old ticket office eyesore of a building we just knocked down!

That was my thought as well. Could've just extended the adult learning centre and built a Wheatfield stand around it.

Shanks said no

The pub design is basically it without the glass facade, by the looks of it.

I would go along with this if it didn't have the much smaller crest and tynecastle park on it

I would go along with this if it didn't have the much smaller crest and tynecastle park on it

I wouldn't. 1950s inspired office block on a 1990s inspired stand? Nah.

Even by JKB standards I am taken aback by the 'leap to judgement' from some on here, who are totally oblivious to the facts.

Please consider the following -

As I have stated previously the Club had to act very quickly to suit the Council's imminent plans to build a new nursery on the existing plot.  The Club therefore had to pull together a document to submit/gain Planning permission from the Council with no time to finalise construction details.  As part of the Club's Planning application there was a basic 'artist impression' of the new glazed fa?ade.

Once Planning approval was gained, intensive efforts were made by the Architect, structural engineers, and subcontractors, to finalise all construction details for the new stand, and carry out a full risk assessment for the project.

The design of the glazed fa?ade had to take into consideration safety, programme, functionality and cost.

Safety - an all glass fa?ade as shown on the initial 'artists impression' gave rise to various safety concerns, specifically the risk of a pane of glass breaking and falling on hundreds of spectators walking in and around the stadium.  To mitigate this risk a framed curtain wall system was the best option as this type of system will hold the pane of glass in place in the event of a breakage.

Programme - as all should be aware the Club are working to an extremely tight programme of works.  As such it was just not practical to design and install a time consuming 'bespoke' fa?ade, therefore a more standard curtain wall glazed system was the only practical option to meet the completion date.

Functionality - can I remind all that the prime reason we are building this new stand is to increase capacity, have enhanced corporate facilities, and improve the viewing of the game for spectators.  With respect we are not attempting to construct a building for entry to the Nobel Prize for Architecture. 

Cost - there is a finite and tight budget here, and I am sure we all agree with Mrs Budge in that we will not run up huge debt.  We do not have the money to install a revolutionary bespoke all glass fa?ade - however I believe that we will have an extremely impressive frontage that we can all be proud of WHEN COMPLETED - with the exception of some on here obviously.

Please also note that the Council Planners want continuity of the 'streetscape' and the school over the road also has glazed curtain wall systems in some areas.

I realise that you cannot please everybody and all want their say, however I hope the above clarifies some of the facts here.

That was my thought as well. Could've just extended the adult learning centre and built a Wheatfield stand around it.

What a ridiculous comment.

Stuart Lyon

I now regret having posted the image received in the pub - I have no idea whether it bears any resemblance to the final design so shouldn't have bothered putting on KB.

Elias Henry Furst

You've had a hard time on here, some if it unjustifiably so imo, though comments like the above do lend weight to the argument of you trolling.

On topic, I like the pic from the boy in the pub!

You've had a hard time on here, some if it unjustifiably so imo, though comments like the above do lend weight to the argument of you trolling.

On topic, I like the pic from the boy in the pub!

I was just comparing the architectural designs. There's not too much different from the Ace of Hearts Club/Adult Learning Centre and the new stand's office block in terms of visual design.

It wasn't a serious suggestion.

Elias Henry Furst

I was just comparing the architectural designs. There's not too much different from the Ace of Hearts Club/Adult Learning Centre and the new stand's office block in terms of visual design.

It wasn't a serious suggestion.

'Not too much different'

At it.

Bad Religion

Even by JKB standards I am taken aback by the 'leap to judgement' from some on here, who are totally oblivious to the facts.

As I have stated previously the Club had to act very quickly to suit the Council's imminent plans to build a new nursery on the existing plot.  The Club therefore had to pull together a document to submit/gain Planning permission from the Council with no time to finalise construction details.  As part of the Club's Planning application there was a basic 'artist impression' of the new glazed fa?ade.

Once Planning approval was gained, intensive efforts were made by the Architect, structural engineers, and subcontractors, to finalise all construction details for the new stand, and carry out a full risk assessment for the project.

The design of the glazed fa?ade had to take into consideration safety, programme, functionality and cost.

Safety - an all glass fa?ade as shown on the initial 'artists impression' gave rise to various safety concerns, specifically the risk of a pane of glass breaking and falling on hundreds of spectators walking in and around the stadium.  To mitigate this risk a framed curtain wall system was the best option as this type of system will hold the pane of glass in place in the event of a breakage.

Programme - as all should be aware the Club are working to an extremely tight programme of works.  As such it was just not practical to design and install a time consuming 'bespoke' fa?ade, therefore a more standard curtain wall glazed system was the only practical option to meet the completion date.

Functionality - can I remind all that the prime reason we are building this new stand is to increase capacity, have enhanced corporate facilities, and improve the viewing of the game for spectators.  With respect we are not attempting to construct a building for entry to the Nobel Prize for Architecture. 

Cost - there is a finite and tight budget here, and I am sure we all agree with Mrs Budge in that we will not run up huge debt.  We do not have the money to install a revolutionary bespoke all glass fa?ade - however I believe that we will have an extremely impressive frontage that we can all be proud of WHEN COMPLETED - with the exception of some on here obviously.

Please also note that the Council Planners want continuity of the 'streetscape' and the school over the road also has glazed curtain wall systems in some areas.

I realise that you cannot please everybody and all want their say, however I hope the above clarifies some of the facts here.

Sorry Thomaso but the statement regarding safety is simply not true. Glass facades do not just fall off buildings and if in the one in a million chance it did happen it certainly wouldn't be the club who would be held responsible.

What you are saying in a round about way is that the finished building will look more like the crumpled up pub drawing than the architects impressions issued for planning.

Sorry Thomaso but the statement regarding safety is simply not true. Glass facades do not just fall off buildings and if in the one in a million chance it did happen it certainly wouldn't be the club who would be held responsible.

What you are saying in a round about way is that the finished building will look more like the crumpled up pub drawing than the architects impressions issued for planning.

Spot on.

Absolute nonsense argument. If that were case then glass wouldn't be allowed anywhere.

FWIW, I'd rather have a piece of glass fall on me than steal.

I suspect more financial issues than safety. Purely speculation though.

Edited by Toggie88

Of course it's financial issues.

A glass curved fa?ade should probably be the lowest priority of the whole project. It is simply not required. Nice to have yes but needed no.

I now regret having posted the image received in the pub - I have no idea whether it bears any resemblance to the final design so shouldn't have bothered putting on KB.

Nothing to regret here you are not responsible for some of the (mindless) criticism it received.

maroonlegions

Wouldn't have looked much different...

Dont worry its going to out shine the lego blocks doon fester road way..  FTH.

Jambo, Goodbye

It's what's on the inside that counts! Or at least my mother used to tell me...

Reminded me of this

be783977ed309e63f346f5a00988f402.jpg

Hackney Hearts

A glass curved fa?ade should probably be the lowest priority of the whole project. It is simply not required. Nice to have yes but needed no.

Needed or not, it's what we're getting.

Cardiac Rucksack

I'll take this as confirmation that we are actually going ahead with the latest eyesore artists impression. Depressing.

Cardiac Rucksack

Why do you regret giving Hearts fans much needed information about the new stand? If you are a Hearts man then you should be proud that you've given us this insight.

Why do you regret giving Hearts fans much needed information about the new stand? If you are a Hearts man then you should be proud that you've given us this insight.

Given that Thomaso has confirmed that it is the final design, then I think we should all be thanking Stu. If it wasn't for him posting the pub design, then who knows when we would have found out about the decision to ditch the original glass facade.

maroonlegions

I'll take this as confirmation that we are actually going ahead with the latest eyesore artists impression. Depressing.

:vrwow:

No way you are a Hearts fan, lego blocks doon fester road will take some beating though..   :jj:

Edited by maroonlegions

Bad Religion

It will be something in between, not an eyesore and definitely not depressing.

Cardiac Rucksack

:vrwow:

No way you are a Hearts fan, lego blocks doon fester road will take some beating though..  :yas:

Not a Hearts fan from the postie who dreams about aliens, **** me. 

Ferryjambo99

Christ, how can the new main stand become depressing because of the bloody fa?ade. This place really is like a collection of moronic children at times

Christ, how can the new main stand become depressing because of the bloody fa?ade. This place really is like a collection of moronic Hibs fans at times

FTFY

Cardiac Rucksack

How anybody can turn this into a negative is utterly astounding! 

Turn what into a negative? It's already a negative - about 10 people already have said that the block they are proposing looks ugly.

Apparently you can't be glad about having a new stand while being dissapointed that the actual build is taking a brutalist form compared to the much better artists impression. 

The context for debate here is routinely being shut down and it stops now.

Turn what into a negative? It's already a negative - about 10 people already have said that the block they are proposing looks ugly.

Apparently you can't be glad about having a new stand while being dissapointed that the actual build is taking a brutalist form compared to the much better artists impression.

The context for debate here is routinely being shut down and it stops now.

This.

Anyone wanting to have any sort of discussion is immediately shot down and accused of not being a hearts fan.

'The club can do no wrong' attitude that many have on here is embarrassing.

Cardiac Rucksack

What you going all drama queen over an artists impression from a boy in a pub, now thats beyond parody..  lol;  

Thomaso has confirmed that due to four variables the stand facade has been changed. Something tha hasn't been relayed by the club yet.

Hackney Hearts

Thomaso has confirmed that due to four variables the stand facade has been changed. Something tha hasn't been relayed by the club yet.

Thomaso has rubbished the idea that the 'pub' picture is the latest design, you seem to have ignored that? He has clearly said there will be a curved glass facade - you've ignored that as well.

So on the subject of glass, yours seems to be strangely a lot less than half full.

Are you a qualified Architect?  A University Lecturer in Architecture? An interior Designer maybe?

Given that Thomaso has confirmed that it is the final design, then I think we should all be thanking Stu. If it wasn't for him posting the pub design, then who knows when we would have found out about the decision to ditch the original glass facade.

If you care to check out posts I made months ago on this thread - you will see that I confirmed a framed curtain wall system would be installed.

The specific logistical, technical and financial reasons for this option are fully set out in my email (10:47) today.

All I care about is how the stand looks from the inside and the improvement in atmosphere and finances it will bring.

THIS is the main driver for building this stand!

Thomaso has rubbished the idea that the 'pub' picture is the latest design, you seem to have ignored that? He has clearly said there will be a curved glass facade - you've ignored that as well.

So on the subject of glass, yours seems to be strangely a lot less than half full.

The fa?ade will be curved - the type of glazing system to be installed is clearly set out in my post (10:47) today, together with the reasons for going with this option

Are you a qualified Architect? A University Lecturer in Architecture? An interior Designer maybe?

He was giving his opinion. Just because you think the new stand is going to be the greatest engineering achievement since the Forth Bridge, doesn't mean it is.

He was giving his opinion. One many people on here share.

You've no right to blast his opinion when all you're doing is give yours.

Hackney Hearts

Except that Thomaso has an informed opinion, whereas others are based on speculation.

I have been in the glazed fa?ade industry for over 35 years.  I can assure there have been many incidents of glass shattering and falling from buildings throughout the UK - and I can assure you that if a shattered glass panel fell from the building the Club, Project Manager and the Fa?ade subcontractor would end up in Court - FACT!

As I have said I have outlined the specific reasons why a framed curtain wall system is being installed - the prime one being the risk assessment for the glazed area above fans entering/exiting the stadium.

Cardiac Rucksack

Except that Thomaso has an informed opinion, whereas others are based on speculation.

Biased. And from his last post, looks like he is responsible for installing whatever facade it is we will be left with.

I have been in the glazed fa?ade industry for over 35 years.  I can assure there have been many incidents of glass shattering and falling from buildings throughout the UK - and I can assure you that if a shattered glass panel fell from the building the Club, Project Manager and the Fa?ade subcontractor would end up in Court - FACT!

As I have said I have outlined the specific reasons why a framed curtain wall system is being installed - the prime one being the risk assessment for the glazed area above fans entering/exiting the stadium.

Starting to feel really sorry for you mate, don't know why you bother sometimes! Knowledge has been key throughout this thread.

Must feel like banging your head against a glass wall sometimes on here.... a curved one.

If you care to check out posts I made months ago on this thread - you will see that I confirmed a framed curtain wall system would be installed.

The specific logistical, technical and financial reasons for this option are fully set out in my email (10:47) today.

You're not a club spokesperson. In fact, as far as I'm aware you've not given your full name or position.

A comment by a random on a fans forum is not a statement from the club.

He was giving his opinion. Just because you think the new stand is going to be the greatest engineering achievement since the Forth Bridge, doesn't mean it is.

He was giving his opinion. One many people on here share.

"Forth Bridge"?  Grow up.  I was asking for confirmation if his opinions of the architectural merit of the stand was based on a qualified knowledge, or he was just having a personal grump.

He has of course every right to express his opinion - his pointed comments leave us in no doubt what they are!

I on the contrary am NOT expressing my opinion - I am giving you the FACTS on how the present fa?ade design was reached.

Biased. And from his last post, looks like he is responsible for installing whatever facade it is we will be left with.

How can anybody be "biased" when they are only passing over the FACTS?

Hackney Hearts

Biased. 

That may be - but I'll take that over someone who hasn't got a clue what they're talking about.