New Stand: Ongoing work (updated)

Clerry Jambo

Buffalo Bill

It cost less than that to build the Millennium Stadium! 

That being said, it would be very difficult to actually add another tier to the Wheatfield due to the closeness of the pitch and the steep incline of the stand. Any upper tier would need to have be even steeper or the pitch would need to shift towards the new main. 

It would probably be cheaper/easier to knock down replace. A nice two-tier with executive boxes and cantilever design. If we were then able to upgrade the Gorgie/Roseburn at some point, we would be able to look realistically at filling in those corners. (One of the reasons I preferred the cantilever option for the new main stand.  

A more affordable suggestion would be to remove the roof cladding and add on to the existing Wheatfield incline by adding on another ten rows (2,000 seats). This would require extra steel columns but would only extend the back of the Wheatfield by a few metres. Two thirds of behind the Wheatfield backs onto the community pitch land, but I see we've now established a path and fence onto that land which would probably be all we'd need to build back. The other third is our existing car park.

It would come down to costs, planning and demand.

Cost wise, I have no idea, but from an engineering point of view, I don't think it's that difficult a job to do. It would cost millions but nothing like the cost of what we're building just now, yet the benefits are roughly the same in terms of capacity increase.

Planning would be bloody tricky. The step incline of the stand is the maximum allowed (building regs might even disallow that steepness now), and we'd be asking to increase that incline over perceived rows 31-40. Would the ethanol tanks be an issue again? Probably.  

Demand would have to be there for it to happen. I wrote this same post on the back of the initial optimism at Cathro's arrival but now we're on a low ebb so the idea of 20,000+ banging down to door to watch our home games seems a little far removed at this particular moment. We'd probably need five years of consistent high attendances to justify even looking at it.

But that's one suggestion.

A more affordable suggestion would be to remove the roof cladding and add on to the existing Wheatfield incline by adding on another ten rows (2,000 seats). This would require extra steel columns but would only extend the back of the Wheatfield by a few metres. Two thirds of behind the Wheatfield backs onto the community pitch land, but I see we've now established a path and fence onto that land which would probably be all we'd need to build back. The other third is our existing car park.

Cost wise, I have no idea, but from an engineering point of view, I don't think it's that difficult a job to do. It would cost millions but nothing like the cost of what we're building just now, yet the benefits are roughly the same in terms of capacity increase.

Planning would be bloody tricky. The step incline of the stand is the maximum allowed (building regs might even disallow that steepness now), and we'd be asking to increase that incline over perceived rows 31-40. Would the ethanol tanks be an issue again? Probably.  

Demand would have to be there for it to happen. I wrote this same post on the back of the initial optimism at Cathro's arrival but now we're on a low ebb so the idea of 20,000+ banging down to door to watch our home games seems a little far removed at this particular moment. We'd probably need five years of consistent high attendances to justify even looking at it.

Can't see it happening in the future - residents would probably object in numbers to the Wheatfield being taller and it means more people to evacuate in an emergency along Wheatfield Street.

Some of you will have seen this before but I think it's worthwhile sharing here this wonderful colour footage of Tynecastle and its then, 41 year old Main Stand.

It must be just about the oldest colour footage of Tynecastle although on this occasion, the crowd came not for a football match, but for a sermon by evangelist Billy Graham (who incredibly, is still alive today, now 98 years old). Tommy Walker can also been seen in this footage.

http://movingimage.nls.uk/film/3595

Superb. Thanks for posting this. Great stuff

- note the beautiful Heart of Midlothian sign on Gorgie Road ***swoon***

Hagar the Horrible

Anyhoo just to chuck a grenade into this ready acquiescence of a purposeless debade on the impossible,  Spurs giant Spion Kop like safe standing area behind their goals will look and sound fantastic.   I would prefer we installed a section with reclining chairs so I can at least have an undisturbed nap in our new library during the second half.   Cravats and smoking jackets is the future!!!

August Landmesser

Anyhoo just to chuck a grenade into this ready acquiescence of a purposeless debade on the impossible,  Spurs giant Spion Kop like safe standing area behind their goals will look and sound fantastic.   I would prefer we installed a section with reclining chairs so I can at least have an undisturbed nap in our new library during the second half.   Cravats and smoking jackets is the future!!!

A famous old institution with maroon seats, and smartly dressed old folk having naps?

Sounds familiar...

post-26001-0-21385400-1489058669_thumb.jpg

Hagar the Horrible

I think we would be better placed to put out combined thoughts into calling the new stadia a cool name, like theatre of dreams.   

Caldron of Hate.

Budgeonian

Tynie Temple

Budge Bastion

Budgiebau

Citadel

Stad de Soul

Stad du Sang

Smithsonian Library

Hagar the Horrible

A famous old institution with maroon seats, and smartly dressed old folk having naps?

Sounds familiar...

attachicon.gifMainStand.jpg

Great a new name for our Stadium  House of Lords

I think we would be better placed to put out combined thoughts into calling the new stadia a cool name, like theatre of dreams.   

Caldron of Hate.

Budgeonian

Tynie Temple

Budge Bastion

Budgiebau

Citadel

Stad de Soul

Stad du Sang

Smithsonian Library

Tynecastle Park

Tynecastle Park

Absolutely - who came up with this Tynecastle STADIUM shit anyway????

Absolutely - who came up with this Tynecastle STADIUM shit anyway????

Sure, if memory serves me right, this was another Pieman brain abortion once the 3 new stands were completed.

Sure, if memory serves me right, this was another Pieman brain abortion once the 3 new stands were completed.

Wasn't sure if it was him or the Liths.

Hopefully when the signage goes up on the new fa?ade it will change.....watch this space.

Great idea! Love the idea of gently reclining, glass of red in hand, sedately toasting yet another goal.

I'm no longer able to stand on concrete for any length of time, owing to knackered knees.

A new stand for the geriatrics please, easy to get a sponsor, I like the sound of the Stannah Stairlift Stand, their product whisking me upwards to my comfy recliner........bliss!

Great idea! Love the idea of gently reclining, glass of red in hand, sedately toasting yet another goal.

I'm no longer able to stand on concrete for any length of time, owing to knackered knees.

A new stand for the geriatrics please, easy to get a sponsor, I like the sound of the Stannah Stairlift Stand, their product whisking me upwards to my comfy recliner........bliss!

Wow great idea my knees are done in too.put us down for two season tickets.maybe a wee game of crockett at half time with a pimms lovely Edited by scabber

Buffalo Bill, on 08 Mar 2017 - 8:43 PM, said:

Some of you will have seen this before but I think it's worthwhile sharing here this wonderful colour footage of Tynecastle and its then, 41 year old Main Stand.

It must be just about the oldest colour footage of Tynecastle although on this occasion, the crowd came not for a football match, but for a sermon by evangelist Billy Graham (who incredibly, is still alive today, now 98 years old). Tommy Walker can also been seen in this footage.

http://movingimage.nls.uk/film/3595

- note the beautiful Heart of Midlothian sign on Gorgie Road ***swoon***

:2thumbsup:

Watt-Zeefuik

I think the ethanol is probably the reason any future work won't be small bore.  If Hearts are going to sink ?1m or more into the cost of moving the booze alone, it probably won't make financial sense to do that for another 2,000 seats or so. If, on the other hand, we're going to get another 5,000 seats out of it so that the cost of the ethanol move is covered by more future ticket sales.

I could see an extension back on the Wheatfield combined with a completely redone Roseburn, though.

gorgie rd eh11

If folk want to stand and sing buy a tambourine and join a choir.

They could sit and sing "belters" like "Valentine shags McGinley".

Mars plastic

They could sit and sing "belters" like "Valentine shags McGinley".

I suspect you've only recently started going to the football.

fireeagle51

In the future I could definitely see Hearts buy the old Tynecastle school and use it for a car park and then develope the undercroft of the roseburn stand which at the moment is used for storage for the community pitch Goals/cones etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think the ethanol is probably the reason any future work won't be small bore. If Hearts are going to sink ?1m or more into the cost of moving the booze alone, it probably won't make financial sense to do that for another 2,000 seats or so. If, on the other hand, we're going to get another 5,000 seats out of it so that the cost of the ethanol move is covered by more future ticket sales.

I could see an extension back on the Wheatfield combined with a completely redone Roseburn, though.

There's been a few "think with no limits" comments on this thread.

So mine is that the distillery moves. Then maybe the position changes.

Otherwise we have a 20,000 capacity stadium. And that's it.

fireeagle51

There's been a few "think with no limits" comments on this thread.

So mine is that the distillery moves. Then maybe the position changes.

Otherwise we have a 20,000 capacity stadium. And that's it.

Put a roof over the concourse area at all the corners and use for potential bigger revenue by having more suites, offices/ rent out to businesses and would make the stadium look so much more attractive from the outside Edited by fireeagle51

In the future I could definitely see Hearts buy the old Tynecastle school and use it for a car park and then develope the undercroft of the roseburn stand which at the moment is used for storage for the community pitch Goals/cones etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You're kidding right?   This site will be for housing  

I think the ethanol is probably the reason any future work won't be small bore.  If Hearts are going to sink ?1m or more into the cost of moving the booze alone, it probably won't make financial sense to do that for another 2,000 seats or so. If, on the other hand, we're going to get another 5,000 seats out of it so that the cost of the ethanol move is covered by more future ticket sales.

We need to change the title of this thread to "LA LA LAND"

North Berwick Jambo

This used to be a good thread.

Absolute bombscare now.

This. So anyway any new pictures? I also asked a few weeks ago if anyone had anymore info on the mural that is to be painted on the end of the tenements but I got no replies.

Absolute bombscare now.

This.

It's the same chat over and over.

It's possible to add rows to the wheatfield, Naw it's no.

It's possible to fill in the corners, Naw it's no.

Hearts have already said this will be the last of redeveloping Tynecastle so let's enjoy the build up and pictures of our new incredible stand.

station_jambo

This.

It's the same chat over and over.

It's possible to add rows to the wheatfield, Naw it's no.

It's possible to fill in the corners, Naw it's no.

Hearts have already said this will be the last of redeveloping Tynecastle so let's enjoy the build up and pictures of our new incredible stand.

What about screens?  We need big huge TV screens so we can show replays of the incompetent referees

The Treasurer

Absolute bombscare now.

Agreed.

Need to ban the amateur architects to get the thread back on track

Can we put a sticky at the top answering all the silly questions before they get asked again?

Corners cannot physically be filled in due to the existing structure

Rows being added is not a financially viable option even before thinking of H&S restraints

Safe standing is not an option due to both the rake of the stand and its profitability.

Screens are part of the plans of the overall upgrading of Tynecastle facilities.

Anything else I have missed?

station_jambo

Can we put a sticky at the top answering all the silly questions before they get asked again?

Corners cannot physically be filled in due to the existing structure

Rows being added is not a financially viable option even before thinking of H&S restraints

Safe standing is not an option due to both the rake of the stand and its profitability.

Screens are part of the plans of the overall upgrading of Tynecastle facilities.

Anything else I have missed?

I heard the screens were removed from the plans due to the cost of having to replace the pitch

I heard the screens were removed from the plans due to the cost of having to replace the pitch

Possibly but we are still looking into them. Probably won't happen by the time the stand is finished but next 2-3 years.

From where did you hear this?

station_jambo

From where did you hear this?

on some facebook page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

station_jambo

d0ebd7d25486438264b2963d8e465654.jpg

Obviously the screen is for Illustration purposes only and Hibs aren't the home team :)

Edited by station_jambo

You're kidding right?   This site will be for housing  

As far as I know it is still a "B" Listed Building so if it is to be housing I don't think it will be demolished and built on  but the existing buildings converted to housing which will be more expensive and less likely to happen.

Unless of course the Planning People have a change of heart.

Nucky Thompson

Replacing the pitch was in the redevelopment plans anyway, it was just brought forward due to the state the pitch was in just now

station_jambo

Replacing the pitch was in the redevelopment plans anyway, it was just brought forward due to the state the pitch was in just now

This is untrue.  The pitch will be replaced end of next season (was meant to be this season) with a Hybrid pitch.  The relay that was just done was a temp solution

Edit : This will include drainage and undersoil heating also I believe

Edited by station_jambo

Pants Shaton

Would it be possible for Hearts fans to donate old LCD/plasma TVs to the club - 50 or so could be put together to create one large screen. Would the club consider this?

Hackney Hearts

This site will be for housing  

Housing? Next to great big lethal ethanol tanks?? Oh the humanity!

Unknown user

It'll be needing replaced again I reckon, all that heavy plant machinery's got to go somewhere

Housing? Next to great big lethal ethanol tanks?? Oh the humanity!

Cruden Homes are in discussions

As far as I know it is still a "B" Listed Building so if it is to be housing I don't think it will be demolished and built on  but the existing buildings converted to housing which will be more expensive and less likely to happen.

Unless of course the Planning People have a change of heart.

I believe the buildings that the Planners will be precious about are only the ones directly on MacLeod Street.   The layout of these buildings make it a reasonably simple task to convert into apartments or town houses.

Went past earlier, piling still ongoing.

Couldn't see over the wall though and I don't own a selfie stick otherwise that'd be ideal to get my camera high enough.

sairyinthat

Went past earlier, piling still ongoing.

Couldn't see over the wall though and I don't own a selfie stick otherwise that'd be ideal to get my camera high enough.

got a store at top of McLeod street and was on the roof getting rid of the garden that was growing there.overlooks the site and was hoping to see concrete getting poured,nae luck though still excavating at the pilings,

Would it be possible for Hearts fans to donate old LCD/plasma TVs to the club - 50 or so could be put together to create one large screen. Would the club consider this?

You are taking the piss right...

highlandjambo3

d0ebd7d25486438264b2963d8e465654.jpg

Obviously the screen is for Illustration purposes only and Hibs aren't the home team :)

YESSSS

Where do I sign?