Jeremy Corbyn

joseywales

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a wee history lesson for some on here.

It was a Labour government that put British servicemen on the streets of Northern Ireland.

Indeed. At the request of the Northern Irish Government to protect the Catholic community from protestant attack.

SwindonJambo

He's had a good election

He has. May has messed up her campaign very badly indeed. Her refusal to participate in debates does her no favours at all. While I'm in no doubt that she'll win, I think she'll fail miserably in her main aim, which was clearly to win by a landslide so that she can strengthen her hand. She'll be lucky to increase her majority by anything significant at all, rendering the whole excercise a waste of time and money, wity the only gain being winning an election in her own right and a minimum of 2 extra years.

It serves her right tbqh, as she's taken her electorate for granted, and the minute you do that you're in big trouble.

If Corbyn maintains or increases the Labour vote from last time, he'll take that as a vote of confidence and try to remain in post.

He has. May has messed up her campaign very badly indeed. Her refusal to participate in debates does her no favours at all. While I'm in no doubt that she'll win, I think she'll fail miserably in her main aim, which was clearly to win by a landslide so that she can strengthen her hand. She'll be lucky to increase her majority by anything significant at all, rendering the whole excercise a waste of time and money, wity the only gain being winning an election in her own right and a minimum of 2 extra years.

It serves her right tbqh, as she's taken her electorate for granted, and the minute you do that you're in big trouble.

If Corbyn maintains or increases the Labour vote from last time, he'll take that as a vote of confidence and try to remain in post.

I think given the vote share increase he'd be wise to stay a year in defeat. The cut and run of previous leaders has resulted in ruderlessness. Labour needs to bed in and fight on rather than more navel gazing.

SwindonJambo

I think given the vote share increase he'd be wise to stay a year in defeat. The cut and run of previous leaders has resulted in ruderlessness. Labour needs to bed in and fight on rather than more navel gazing.

I'd rather see a total regime change asap with Corbyn, Abbot and McDonnell binned. The Party's problems began when they picked the wrong Milliband. Had David won, he'd have given the Tories a good run for their money for sure. Corbyn has taken the party back to the early 1980s, when Michael Foot's shambolic leadership gave Maggie Thatcher a free run.

If Labour had a moderate David Milliband or Dan Jarvis type leader they'd dance circles around May's mediocre shower imho.

I believe McGuiness started off in the IRA, Adams I'm not so sure about.

What a ****ing slaver! Or are you really that stupid?

I still have severe reservations about Corbyn as PM, I think his manifesto has been the real winner so far.

I do agree that it's become a bit tedious political leaders falling on their swords too soon after every electoral defeat.

I'd rather see a total regime change asap with Corbyn, Abbot and McDonnell binned. The Party's problems began when they picked the wrong Milliband. Had David won, he'd have given the Tories a good run for their money for sure. Corbyn has taken the party back to the early 1980s, when Michael Foot's shambolic leadership gave Maggie Thatcher a free run.

If Labour had a moderate David Milliband or Dan Jarvis type leader they'd dance circles around May's mediocre shower imho.

Used to think the same but his more hopeful and ambitious position is pushing May more than Miliband did before.

Yes Abbott can gtf. Burgon too. Few more moderates added to cabinet to stabilise things but the ideas in that manifesto need carried forward.

The clear gulf between the two visions are helping Labour.

I think this election could be very good for Jeremy, he will be able to silence the PLP if he does better than Ed.

If UKIP voters from the last time were to split more evenly then he would be looking at a win, but it appears that former labour voters that voted UKIP are going to vote Conservative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed.

SwindonJambo

If UKIP voters from the last time were to split more evenly then he would be looking at a win, but it appears that former labour voters that voted UKIP are going to vote Conservative.

That could very well be what's happening. What's for sure is that UKIP will now wither on the vine and quickly disappear from the Political Landscape. They were never much more than a single issue campaign group and having succeeded in their main aim, they've engineered their own obsolescence.

However at their peak they were polling 12-15%, taking votes from the Tories in the South and Labour in the North (of England). Which way their former voters jump could be very significant.

maroonlegions

What also gets me is when the neo right wing Cons look back and dig up  historical matters  in regards to Corbyn they really should pay more attention closer to home and  to some of their own.

For instance Tory, Winston Churchill, negotiated with Michael Collins, a man he considered to be an IRA terrorist. He sat down with him, negotiated with him. Shook hands with him. He and Lloyd George armed him with British gun's, so he could wage a civil war in Ireland. I suppose I wish to highlight how some people conveniently forget or even ignore the facts. How they would vilify one, whilst lionising another.

I still have severe reservations about Corbyn as PM, I think his manifesto has been the real winner so far.

I do agree that it's become a bit tedious political leaders falling on their swords too soon after every electoral defeat.

He may go within a year or 18 months. But that means Labour in the first 100 days can fight more effectively than if leaderless. Brown and Miliband walked too quickly each time.

Look at Churchill, Heath, Wilson, Callaghan and Kinnock. All stayed on and built support or held it together for a time after defeat. Past two times have seen the Labour party descend into themselves when they should be continuing attacks on the government.

SwindonJambo

Used to think the same but his more hopeful and ambitious position is pushing May more than Miliband did before.

Yes Abbott can gtf. Burgon too. Few more moderates added to cabinet to stabilise things but the ideas in that manifesto need carried forward.

The clear gulf between the two visions are helping Labour.

Ah - I meant DAVID Milliband. I was never a fan of Ed and never had a shred of confidence in him even though I voted for him in 2015. I will not vote for Corbyn (or May). I really hope David Millband makes a comeback. He's 51 and has plenty of gas in the tank yet.

If JC just had a bit more backing from the PLP since he was first elected then they would be looking at a win right now, but they were too short sighted to see the potential in the movement that won him the leadership.

To be fair, they did. His efforts at reconciliation were not aided by the more confrontational Abbott and McDonnell.

Both have made big mistakes to me.

Ah - I meant DAVID Milliband. I was never a fan of Ed and never had a shred of confidence in him even though I voted for him in 2015. I will not vote for Corbyn (or May). I really hope David Millband makes a comeback. He's 51 and has plenty of gas in the tank yet.

I doubt he'd offer that manifesto though. Or some of it. I'd back his leadership (I backed Ed btw). But I don't think he'll be back.

maroonlegions

If JC just had a bit more backing from the PLP since he was first elected then they would be looking at a win right now, but they were too short sighted to see the potential in the movement that won him the leadership.

The berating and character assassination attacks from the media  from day one on Corbyn were instrumental in painting the picture of inadequacy in JC  too.

I think this election could be very good for Jeremy, he will be able to silence the PLP if he does better than Ed.

UKIP's vote will go directly to Mrs May. The only show in town when it comes to Brexit negotiations.

SwindonJambo

I doubt he'd offer that manifesto though. Or some of it. I'd back his leadership (I backed Ed btw). But I don't think he'll be back.

I think it's a huge loss if he isn't. Relations between the Milliband brothers remain very strained I believe. Anyway, Corbyn's regime won't select him to fight a seat - he's not their kind.

SwindonJambo

I'm not clued up enough on the numbers in England to know for sure, but I think most of there support has actually been working class traditional labour voters, did that actually cost them seats is something I couldn't say.

Nope - I think your observations are good. In the South UKIP won many votes from the Tories and they've lost them back again. The big difference is that many of the voters they gained from Labour are instead voting Tory, North and South, who they see as UKIP-lite.

No doubt they won a few votes from Labour in the South too but my guess is it's largely Tory (judging by the big houses I used to see with UKIP posters - no that I'm stereotyping...).

Sturgeon wants a vote before a deal is done. Corbyn wants one after. So you aren't getting it on the preferred timing of the SNP but as when a Labour government would want. The proposed discussions would occur after Brexit and a vote possibly after 2021 and the next Holyrood vote. So I fail to see how this is a win for the Yes side.

The SNP want a vote after the terms are known. If we have to leave, she said the they'd reapply with an interim deal for trade. But I that's SNP policy, they'd have to be elected at a GE to start the process.

Your barking at the moon if you think it's not happening in 2019. Either that or your pettiness about the destruction of Slab has clouded your judgement of democracy. Because the motion has been passed to hold an indyref2 during this Scottish Parliament. Unless you think the EU should tell the UK it's Parliament can't have Brexit? The SNP can hold as many indyref2 as it wants while it's being elected, simple. From once a year to every 50. Simple.

And anyway, it was a simple, get it up ye, to slab. But you just had to show your true red Tory colours that you have dawned since 2014, fusing even more in 2015 and 2016. Sad, you have even joined the anti Democratic side which says Holyrood doesn't matter. Oh well, a voting system invented to stop the SNP from ever running Scotland has failed for 10years. Nae luck Slab. Nae luck X2, enjoy your bitter tears and snot!

Why is a nurse using a food bank? Mismanagement of money, I'd say, because it's a good wage.

MSM not exposing this loyalist fraud, as usual.

And even then he only condemned violence 'against civilians'. No mention of the security services. A shifty bugger, not to be trusted. Abbott's a liability - to herself and those around her. I absolutely shudder to imagine her as Home Secretary.

Hes not just shifty, the man is wicked. I'll add these below to my extensive rap sheet previously.

He attended PLO solidarity conference for terrorists right after Munich Olympic massacre.

He spoke at IRA solidarity conferences and said every defeat for UK was a victory.

When with his own sort (Stop the West) he is much more strident in saying where he think responsibility lies. This is about as twisted as it gets - the first thing on his mind to blame is a decade old intervention in a country which a UK Kuwaiti Brit UK undergraduate had zilch to do with who proceeds to beheads aid workers on camera.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3668005/jeremy-corbyn-blamed-britain-for-beheading-of-alan-henning-by-isis-killer-jihadi-john/amp/

Funnily enough, he has lots to say about interventions creating security vacuum but not 2011 withdrawal which created an actual security absence or lack of action over Syria.

A.BAD.MAN.

gashauskis9

"I'm not a dictator. I don't tell people what to do, it's a democratic process". I must have imagined the three line whip on the Brexit vote in the commons then Jeremy. I must have imagined you asking for resignations of cabinet ministers who would vote against Brexit even if that meant voting against the will of their constituents.

We're ****ed!

Rudolf's Mate

Why is a nurse using a food bank? Mismanagement of money, I'd say, because it's a good wage.

MSM not exposing this loyalist fraud, as usual.

I didn't agree with the hounding of this woman however qualified nurses can earn extra money doing agency work. It's well documented that these agencies are making a killing from the NHS however the one we used paid their nurses ?35ph and ?70ph for bank holidays.

As much as I agree that the NHS don't pay nurses what they're entitled too, the monies out there if they're willing to do the work.

I didn't agree with the hounding of this woman however qualified nurses can earn extra money doing agency work. It's well documented that these agencies are making a killing from the NHS however the one we used paid their nurses ?35ph and ?70ph for bank holidays.

As much as I agree that the NHS don't pay nurses what they're entitled too, the monies out there if they're willing to do the work.

So as well as working their full time shifts they should do over and above just to get a decent wage?

Rudolf's Mate

So as well as working their full time shifts they should do over and above just to get a decent wage?

I didn't say that did I?

I know a lot of nurses and every single one of them does overtime to get more money. Some do agency work, some don't however the ones that do do it all say that rather than work lots of extra shifts with NHS they can work a fraction of the time with the agency and get paid more.

The NHS top brass have been complaining about agencies for years however the fact is if they paid their staff more money it would solve a lot of problems they face.

I didn't say that did I?

I know a lot of nurses and every single one of them does overtime to get more money. Some do agency work, some don't however the ones that do do it all say that rather than work lots of extra shifts with NHS they can work a fraction of the time with the agency and get paid more.

The NHS top brass have been complaining about agencies for years however the fact is if they paid their staff more money it would solve a lot of problems they face.

Oh, I don't disagree with you regards paying nurses more. I'd employ more and reduce shifts too. 3 x 8hr rather than 2 x 12hr.

Im not sure what your original post meant... I thought you were suggesting nurses worked extra for agencies. My misinterpretation.

Rudolf's Mate

Oh, I don't disagree with you regards paying nurses more. I'd employ more and reduce shifts too. 3 x 8hr rather than 2 x 12hr.

Im not sure what your original post meant... I thought you were suggesting nurses worked extra for agencies. My misinterpretation.

I was kind of saying that there's money out there. That said I do appreciate that nurses are stretched as it is and some can't even fit in extra hours never mind working for an agency.

Geoff Kilpatrick

I think the length of shift is up to the nurse. My missus much preferred the 12 hour shift.

I think the length of shift is up to the nurse. My missus much preferred the 12 hour shift.

Horses for courses Geoff.  My Missus used to be a nurse and the shifts killed her.  Maybe they wouldn't have had there been more staff, mind you...

Maroon Sailor

Had an Abbott moment today with his figures

2 peas in a pod

SwindonJambo

Had an Abbott moment today with his figures

2 peas in a pod

I heard that. So Abbot and Corbyn are both innumerate.

What an utterly crap choice of candidates we have to choose from, the very worst in my 50 years, imho. The Tories will stumble their way to a workable majority but not a landslide as they constantly U turn and backtrack from their manifesto and earlier, the Budget National Insurance climbdown. Most of us on here hated Maggie Thatcher, but she was at least strong and decisive.

Jambo-Jimbo

I didn't say that did I?

My wife worked several extra shifts the month before last and by the time the extra tax, NI etc was taken off it really wasn't worth her while to have worked those extra shifts.

She also does Nurse bank shifts at a Private Nursing home and even with paying tax from the first penny a 12hr shift there is worth much more than a 12hr shift at her main NHS Hospital job.

If a full time job came up at the Nursing Home she'd jump at it, much more money and far better working conditions than working for the NHS, at least at the Nursing Home there is always enough staff on, just last week on her ward at the Hospital on one shift, there were 2 trained staff on for a 30 bed acute medical ward, a Sister from another ward had to come and help out as her ward was fully staffed, and the worst of it is, this isn't such a rarity anymore as it's becoming more and more the normal.

Don't get a choice anymore, well my wife doesn't and neither any of the other nurses on her ward either, it's 12 hr shifts like or not.

doctor jambo

There is now a growing trend in this regard

The "pay freeze" has had a terrible effect.

Nurses and Dr's are quitting and following the money

the doing it as a vocation level has been well and truly done to death and folks have had enough.

The GP practices around here where all the GP's have left have now been taken over by the health board, who are now paying 25% MORE than anywhere else just to keep them staffed

this has had the nock on effect that GP's are quitting their own practices and becoming locums for the 25 % pay rises on offer - which led to another 2 practices shutting and the health board having to do the same again!

Big pay rises are coming in the public sector, but I fear that it will be shambolic, uncontrolled and the effects will be pretty awful

you cannot create large pay differentials , reduce staff pay for 10 years, then NOT expect staff to take advantage of the staffing crisis by "locum" ing

better to give a large across the board increase and outlaw hospitals using agency staff completley

Its the economics of madness

doctor jambo

I agree, give the Doctors a pay rise, then Tax it back off them.

then you will get what happened in England after the new IR35 rules that stopped doctors from being Personal Service Companies- so the hospitals had to tax and NI them at source....

Same happened with our out of hours GP service - since the new rules we are taxed as employees - but have no other rights as employees- you know - holidays, sick pay, maternity rights- only the right to be taxed at higher rates

The locums all quit at short notice, and submitted new pay terms with rises of 30-50 %, or they would not be back, to cover the drop in their earnings via the extra taxation.

the hospitals gave in and paid the extra

Certain skills are really in demand- be that nurses or docs, they are in demand globally

either pay to keep them, or you wont have them

maroonlegions

You are simplifying the picture too much there.

The media in the U.K. is more right than left, we all know this, Jeremy's problem was his own MPs briefing the media against him, especially damaging were the pro EU media who were lapping up the whole Jeremy is anti EU stuff, that's where it all started, the media didn't just make it up, his own MPs caused it.

Whatever happens next week I am glad of two things, a manifesto has actually affected an election in a positive way and real left wing policies are gaining traction for the first time in several generations.

Yes we do indeed have a media that leans to the right but we also have Labour Mps who also lean to the right , that saying we now have the presenter of Question Time David Dimbley coming out and supporting the fact that Corbyn has not been treated fairly by the UK press. 

This is a significant addition of those in the media and other celebrities  who have  said they back Corbyn and  suggested similar observations about our press and media and wont be the last i suspect.

Its also worth pointing out that Corbyn had the backing of a very impressive vote of Labour party members who wanted him as leader, those Labour MPs who took part in slating him should remember who they are paid to represent .

Veteran broadcaster points out rightwing bias of most British newspapers and complains of their ?lazy pessimism?
THEGUARDIAN.COM

maroonlegions

Was going to post this observation rant in the General Election thread but since it contains references to Corbyn i thought better.lol;

So Theresa May gave  a speech yesterday  and spends the whole 30 minutes attacking and smearing Corbyn, still repeating the strong and stable mantra and again making the whole election about Brexit.

Despite Corbyn overwhelmingly winning the night on Social Media, the newspapers again whitewash her dreadful performance in the leadership interviews the other night 

She also refers to Corbyn as being 'alone and naked' and then sneeringly tells everyone that that's a sight that none of us would like to see.

She truly has hit the bottom of the barrel with that statement, and as she wants to 'go there' then quite frankly I'd rather see Corbyn naked than the stomach churning sick making image of that grey saggy old heartless witch in the nude. :laugh4:

She is wholly undignified, rude and nothing more than a stooge for her Billionaire tax evading media baron buddies. :1222:

Corbyn is dignified, respectful and talks about the policies that are important to and affect people in this country.

She is the extreme opposite of that, she is in fact an extremity that is all over the place, a snide one trick pony with no real understanding of the current social  decay and suffering she  and here party has inflicted on so many vulnerable people.

This is not someone on social media letting off steam and unable to find the words to address an argument so ends up being rude and offensive - this is the Prime Minister FFS.

This reference of hers  to seeing Jeremy naked is the lowest of the low.

Was going to post this observation rant in the General Election thread but since it contains references to Corbyn i thought better.lol;

So Theresa May gave a speech yesterday and spends the whole 30 minutes attacking and smearing Corbyn, still repeating the strong and stable mantra and again making the whole election about Brexit.

Despite Corbyn overwhelmingly winning the night on Social Media, the newspapers again whitewash her dreadful performance in the leadership interviews the other night

She also refers to Corbyn as being 'alone and naked' and then sneeringly tells everyone that that's a sight that none of us would like to see.

She truly has hit the bottom of the barrel with that statement, and as she wants to 'go there' then quite frankly I'd rather see Corbyn naked than the stomach churning sick making image of that grey saggy old heartless witch in the nude. :laugh4:

She is wholly undignified, rude and nothing more than a stooge for her Billionaire tax evading media baron buddies. :1222:

Corbyn is dignified, respectful and talks about the policies that are important to and affect people in this country.

She is the extreme opposite of that, she is in fact an extremity that is all over the place, a snide one trick pony with no real understanding of the current social decay and suffering she and here party has inflicted on so many vulnerable people.

This is not someone on social media letting off steam and unable to find the words to address an argument so ends up being rude and offensive - this is the Prime Minister FFS.

This reference of hers to seeing Jeremy naked is the lowest of the low.

Sure and Stable...only thing sure at the moment is she's about to miss an open goal from two yards to win what shouldve been one of the easiest GE wins since Tony Blair was elected.

That said Jeremy by all accounts made a right erse of things on some day time talk show today.

:rofl: Tories set to lose majority :rofl: :ROFL: :rofl:

Unionists red and blue, vote blue to stop indyref2, but Corbyn leads progressive alliance government that gives the SNP an indyref2 , brilliant :rofl: ma sides The Tories blow a 25% lead, and 200 seat majority gone. Everything thrown at JC and the public see through it. TM :rofl: brexit :rofl:

The SNP in government at WM, the mind boggles at the carnage we can do.(Karma) Please make it so.

Tick tock

I suspect the polls will be full of **** unfortunately.

The Tories will still stroll it. Loads of people don't want to admit they are voting for the horrible option, but will do so in the secrecy of the voting booth, and loads of people (mostly young) who say they will vote Labour won't bother getting off their arses on voting day.

frankblack

The Tories will still stroll it. Loads of people don't want to admit they are voting for the horrible option, but will do so in the secrecy of the voting booth, and loads of people (mostly young) who say they will vote Labour won't bother getting off their arses on voting day.

This.

Tory landslide once the results come in.  Polls will not get people admitting they will vote Tory.

Someone on here is a bit of poll expert hopefully they can tell us the story. This you gov one is getting a hammering even from labour so who knows. I don't think they are too far off the Torys have absolutely chucked this. May really isn't filling anyone with confidence. I know it wouldn't have happened but had it been Cameron leading this tory government they'd probably be increasing their lead.

The Torys have little to offer policy wise so the leader had to be seen has a leader, they were absolutely out manoeuvred by Corbyns manifesto they didn't see that coming and thought weakening him and playing on his unpopularity would be enough. It's going to take an absolutely monumental piece of scandal to halt his momentum and let's be honest that's not beyond the realms of possibility it's pretty much May's last hope of gaining the predicted majority.

frankblack

Someone on here is a bit of poll expert hopefully they can tell us the story. This you gov one is getting a hammering even from labour so who knows. I don't think they are too far off the Torys have absolutely chucked this. May really isn't filling anyone with confidence. I know it wouldn't have happened but had it been Cameron leading this tory government they'd probably be increasing their lead.

The Torys have little to offer policy wise so the leader had to be seen has a leader, they were absolutely out manoeuvred by Corbyns manifesto they didn't see that coming and thought weakening him and playing on his unpopularity would be enough. It's going to take an absolutely monumental piece of scandal to halt his momentum and let's be honest that's not beyond the realms of possibility it's pretty much May's last hope of gaining the predicted majority.

Corbyn's manifesto of giveaways is completely unaffordable and undeliverable.  However, as I said on the other thread, those thick as pig-shit Labour voters will lap it up.  Recession will follow within a few years yet again.

Corbyn's manifesto of giveaways is completely unaffordable and undeliverable. However, as I said on the other thread, those thick as pig-shit Labour voters will lap it up. Recession will follow within a few years yet again.

Details!

Geoff Kilpatrick

Details!

Labour themselves have said they didn't model any behavioural changes when working out their tax raising plan. If they get anywhere near their ?46bn plan I will be stunned.

SwindonJambo

This.

Tory landslide once the results come in.  Polls will not get people admitting they will vote Tory.

Polls have very often understated the Tory vote in the past as a chunk of their support are reluctant to publically admit to it, even to pollsters!

I still predict a Tory majority but not the Landslide that May banked on. She's made a total arse of her campaign and manifesto and will be lucky to increase her majority at all. If it's a hung parliament, she'll have to resign. No idea who'd replace her as Tory leader - please not Boris!

frankblack

Polls have very often understated the Tory vote in the past as a chunk of their support are reluctant to publically admit to it, even to pollsters!

I still predict a Tory majority but not the Landslide that May banked on. She's made a total arse of her campaign and manifesto and will be lucky to increase her majority at all. If it's a hung parliament, she'll have to resign. No idea who'd replace her as Tory leader - please not Boris!

Can't disagree with that assessment.  God knows what the thinking was with announcing that tax on property for people requiring care - a massive vote loser.

Archived