Sturgeon shelves plan for quick second Scottish independence referendum

Gorgiewave

If one of your friends actually does this, will you

(i) Say good on you and wish him all the best, or

(ii) Tell him good riddance to bad rubbish and call him a quisling?

Auch, ffs, a couple of mates have, but for the life of I can remember their name.

Ah well, good riddance.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If one of your friends actually does this, will you

(i) Say good on you and wish him all the best, or

(ii) Tell him good riddance to bad rubbish and call him a quisling?

I still can't remember.

Who cares?

Auch, ffs, a couple of mates have, but for the life of I can remember their name.

Ah well, good riddance.

Ok. So anyone who chooses to live in England, Wales or Northern Ireland, or anyone you deem 'old', is as good as dead to you.

That sounds a wee bit like Nazi eugenics. Well, it would if I believed you, but I don't. Take your pick then. Are you a liar, or a fascist?

Toxteth O'Grady

I'm still intrigued by this plan for the SNP to conduct the National Survey into why people voted No. What the **** are expecting to find out? And even if they did, what would they actually do to attract No voters?

No voters don't put stickers on their cars or attend rallies. They won't partake in a Nationalist survey. The silent majority.

I'll save them the trouble. No voters probably identified with Britain in some way, from next to nothing to full on Rule Britannia and weren't looking for a messy divorce. Then the SNP published the white paper.

Invoice on the way to Castle Krankie

I think it is possible that the people of Scotland just don't like risk or change. In the 2 referendums Scotland has just voted for no change.

Right you use a downturn in oil revenue to put down independence. But what about recession and the 2008 disaster, that doesn't show this union in a good light.

Any numbers on fuel duty revenue?

The 2 major UK banks which needed bailouts were RBS & HBoS. Both headquartered in.... Edinburgh. The banking crisis was nothing to do with the Union - it was Worldwide corporate greed getting ahead of itself and falling flat on its face. Reckoned to have been brewing since the late 1980s as banks became emboldened and too increasingly crass risks.

The 2 major UK banks which needed bailouts were RBS & HBoS. Both headquartered in.... Edinburgh. The banking crisis was nothing to do with the Union - it was Worldwide corporate greed getting ahead of itself and falling flat on its face. Reckoned to have been brewing since the late 1980s as banks became emboldened and too increasingly crass risks.

:rofl:

Aye ok.

It certainly was policies from the Scottish government that caused it ffs.

Eyes wide shut.

Ok. So anyone who chooses to live in England, Wales or Northern Ireland, or anyone you deem 'old', is as good as dead to you.

That sounds a wee bit like Nazi eugenics. Well, it would if I believed you, but I don't. Take your pick then. Are you a liar, or a fascist?

See the wall at Calais, we'll have one anaw.

Aye ok.

Eyes wide shut.

Was it policies from Westminster that caused the GLOBAL banking crisis???

Aye ok.

Eyes wide shut.

Are you honestly that thick to think that Scottish politicians, bankers and the Scottish people wouldn't have taken the free money ride that was pre-crash banking?

Salmond wrote to Fred the Shred congratulating him for the ABM-AMRO take over. The take over which crippled rbs. He gave his government's support to it.

But, in your head Scotland is a shinning city on the hill.

Indy Nazi's reverting to type as per.Scotland said NO,accept it and move on ffs.

Scots said yes.

No rukers getting a say next time.

Are you honestly that thick to think that Scottish politicians, bankers and the Scottish people wouldn't have taken the free money ride that was pre-crash banking?

Salmond wrote to Fred the Shred congratulating him for the ABM-AMRO take over. The take over which crippled rbs. He gave his government's support to it.

Exactly we are that shinning COUNTRY on the hill.No thickos here except brits/no voters, not for long though.No one can be that dumb twice.

Scotland said NO,accept it and move on ffs.

I think most sane Yes voters have accepted the result and have moved on.  

That doesn't mean that there cannot be another referendum on independence though.  If the people wish it, then so be it.  Equally, if they don't, then so be it.

Exactly we are that shinning COUNTRY on the hill.No thickos here except brits/no voters, not for long though.No one can be that dumb twice.

So, 55% of Scottish voters are thickos!?!?

I think most sane Yes voters have accepted the result and have moved on.  

That doesn't mean that there cannot be another referendum on independence though.  If the people wish it, then so be it.  Equally, if they don't, then so be it.

They don't, so it is.

aussieh still cannae hack it. He's trapped in Greater England.

Was it policies from Westminster that caused the GLOBAL banking crisis???

_58239878_fredletter464.jpg
First year of admin. :D

Brilliantly deflected from UK chancellor iron fists door.

So, 55% of Scottish voters are thickos!?!?

46%. 54% of Scottish voters voted yes, we were out voted by resident rukers. Won't make that mistake again.

Many internationalist, such civic.

When you hame? No long now and you'll be Scottish living in Scotland with no more GB and it's monarchy, Wm and the Lords.

And then you can go back to Spain as a Scottish citizen of the EU family of nations.

Tick tock

Mintit.

Watching Scotland's Game last night and reading this thread, can't help reflecting that as a nation we have a big inferiority complex with our English neighbours. Certainly part of the rise of nationalism.  

You can be sure of one thing, there will be no attempt at another referendum unless Yes are going to win.

So you can all calm down, stop Nat Bashing and call off your pit bull Davidson.

No, leave Davidson on it!  She's the best recruiting sergeant for Yes there is!

Demonstrably callous, given her inability to apologise for statements made from her office regards an EU citizen living in Scotland (are non UK citizens second class in the UK Ruth?) and will also have to campaign for her Leader's cause come the next general election.  Tories are as Tories do.

She is only doing relitavely, stress relatively(!), well just now due to a hardening of the unionist vote, rather than some Damascene conversion to Toryism.

Watching Scotland's Game last night and reading this thread, can't help reflecting that as a nation we have a big inferiority complex with our English neighbours. Certainly part of the rise of nationalism.  

Perhaps also a reason why so many voted no?

Captain Sausage

In fact Holyrood should have a 'Flag Debate' rule over anyone mentioning referendum, maybe they would be forced to sit outside in the corridor for 10mins.

:lol:

I'd be up for this being enforced.

Not true. Barclays received the biggest bail out. http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/gordon-macintyrekemp/scottish-independence-bank-bailout_b_4895234.html

Had Scotland been a separate country the bailouts for HBOS and RBS would have had to come from England because that's where the losses were accrued. 

And yet the inferiority complex comes mostly from unionists.

The problem was that RBS didn't do the due diligence. Lawyers to blame apparently. Salmond thought he was supporting Scottish business and jobs what's wrong with that? Do you think he should have known ABN amro was a basket case when those trying to take it over didn't know?

Thunderstruck

46%. 54% of Scottish voters voted yes, we were out voted by resident rukers. Won't make that mistake again.

You seem to put great stock in your "54% of Scots" and it would be interesting to hear how you define "Scottishness". Does it, for example, include someone with an overt desire to flee these shores and move to Canada?

To help, here are a few questions...

What is the definition of a "Scot"?

Do you need a Gaelic name?

What is the qualifying length of residence required to become a "Scot"?

Where do applicants go to learn how to be a "Scot"?

Where does the ceremony take place and do they hand out wee plastic flags and a scroll?

Identifying Scots and their choices in Polls - this is presumably a straightforward exercise and it must be possible to identify voters by "nationality". That being the case, I am surprised at the 54% as I would have expected MI5/MI6/MFI to have either removed of changed the votes before they were counted.

For context, it would be interesting to hear how many non-Scots were or are able to vote so...

Take the Electoral Register for your area (available in libraries and local council offices - those not closed due to withdrawal of funding by the Scottish Government), go to any page you like and tell us how many Scots and non-Scots are on that page. If you are able to do that, pray tell how you managed to pick out the Scots from the names therein; is there a special marker?

Let's then go further; how many Irish citizens are on the page, how many Commonwealth citizens are on the page and how many EU citizens are on the page?

Best post on the thread.

Aye she voted no, oh no the plans been found out.

You and the your fellow jhockneys are the only yellow necks of Scotland.

Space Mackerel

If wee Jimmy Krankie gets her way and achieves Independence, she will be a bit lost when things inevitably go pear-shaped as she won't be able to blame it on the Tories.

"Wee Jimmy Krankie" [emoji85]

Seems like your Yoonyinist politician looks a bit lost in that video.

Utterly skelped.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If wee Jimmy Krankie gets her way and achieves Independence, she will be a bit lost when things inevitably go pear-shaped as she won't be able to blame it on the Tories.

You talk as if its only SNP governments that we'll have. Its not a GE its an indyref.ffs

But you'll gladly allow unelected continued tory rule. That is shameful.

Don't get me wrong if that's who Scotland votes for post Indy, that's fair enough, but we don't vote for that mob.

You talk as if its only SNP governments that we'll have. Its not a GE its an indyref.ffs

I hope it is the SNP and Scotland sinks into the sea.

But you'll gladly allow unelected continued tory rule. That is shameful.

Don't get me wrong if that's who Scotland votes for post Indy, that's fair enough, but we don't vote for that mob.

We?? ... Like it or not, WE are still part of the UK.

That's nice.

Says a whole lot about you and makes any view you espouse redundant.

I've read some bullshit on KB but you excel.

Enjoy it.

While you can.

Tickfeckingtock

Enjoy it.

While you can.

Tickfeckingtock

Ooft. Hibs-like chat right there. Figures though, they are perennial losers too.

They don't, so it is.

aussieh still cannae hack it. He's trapped in Greater England.

I had a bit of a wobble in the shower after writing my previous post. It occurred to me that aussieh may in fact be a character whose creator is having a chuckle at us all.

I must admit, I'm not with this. Although I'd be sad about independence, I'd accept it and wish any post independence Scottish Government every success, whatever the Party elected. I'd hope they have a coherent plan to build up our trade with countries other than rUK. 75% of our trade is currently with rUK with whom there are no barriers of any kind. This would no longer be true if independent as we'd almost certainly have separate currencies. I've never been in any doubt that Scotland is perfectly capable of operating as in independent country but there would be some huge challenges, especially in the beginning. Tough and unpopular tax increases and spending cuts would be required. If that resulted in a huge brain and talent drain as it well might, the country would be in big trouble.

I had a bit of a wobble in the shower after writing my previous post. It occurred to me that aussieh may in fact be a character whose creator is having a chuckle at us all.

As in...Jambo no more?

I think aussieh is just a victim of the national liberation movement and the fact that it makes people belief that moral superiority is cheap and easy and open to everybody who'll vote the Scots way.

I must admit, I'm not with this. Although I'd be sad about independence, I'd accept it and wish any post independence Scottish Government every success, whatever the Party elected. I'd hope they have a coherent plan to build up our trade with countries other than rUK. 75% of our trade is currently with rUK with whom there are no barriers of any kind. This would no longer be true if independent as we'd almost certainly have separate currencies. I've never been in any doubt that Scotland is perfectly capable of operating as in independent country but there would be some huge challenges, especially in the beginning. Tough and unpopular tax increases and spending cuts would be required. If that resulted in a huge brain and talent drain as it well might, the country would be in big trouble.

"Perfectly capable" but "in big trouble" at the same time.

"Perfectly capable" but "in big trouble" at the same time.

Not exactly. The tough financial decisions would definitely be necessary. I said there MIGHT be a talent flight. If there was not, and the country's top talent largely stayed put and weren't scared off by the huge tax increases that they'd have to shoulder, I think the country would eventually stabilise, re-adjust to its independence mode and do ok. And hopefully more than just ok. But it's a one way leap in the dark. People generally go where financial conditions are most favourable and with rUK at such close proximity, it's certainly a big risk.

Space Mackerel

But for how much longer? My guess is 10 years max [emoji41]

Archived