Sturgeon shelves plan for quick second Scottish independence referendum

Gorgiewave

Nice see Ms Sturgeon set out what's happening:

The First Minister has set out the Scottish Government?s plans for the next year.

Against the backdrop of the economic uncertainty caused by Brexit, here?s what the Scottish Government is doing to support businesses, grow our economy and create jobs.

The Scottish Growth Scheme will provide up to ?500 million over three years of investment guarantees and some loans, and will be focussed on start-up companies who have the potential to grow and export more.

From April next year, 100,000 premises will be removed from the burden of business rates entirely. And, the government will act on the outcomes of the review of business rates that is already underway.

In the coming year more than ?572 million will be invested in affordable housing - supporting jobs and economic growth across the country.

We have brought forward ?100 million of infrastructure spending to tackle the economic impact of Brexit and support jobs.

We will continue to do everything we can to protect Scotland?s place in the European single market. Find out why that?s important here.

Energy efficiency will be made a national infrastructure priority and will be supported with more than half a billion of public funding over the next four years.

We will invest ?90 million over the next year to ensure we deliver broadband to 95 per cent of premises by the end of 2017. And, we?ll reach 100 per cent by 2021.

The First Minister has confirmed the approval of European Structural Funds, meaning ?650 million in investment will be delivered for communities and businesses across Scotland.

We?ll invest ?3.5 million to establish and support Innovation and Investment Hubs in London, Dublin and Brussels. The Hubs will attract investment to Scotland and help Scottish firms access new markets.

Over the next year we will develop the business case for a new National Manufacturing Institute to help companies innovate and compete in international markets.

?12.5 million will be made available for oil and gas innovation and business support, including ?10 million to reduce risks associated with research and development, and to improve access to experts.

We will develop a comprehensive Decommissioning Action Plan to ensure our economy gets maximum benefit from planned oil and gas decommissioning.

A new Energy Strategy will reaffirm our commitment to reducing energy demand and the development of renewable sources of energy.

We will continue to work towards increasing the number of Living Wage accredited employers to 1000 by this time next year.

We have set up a new Business Information Service, to provide advice and support for businesses worried about Brexit.

We are establishing a new Post-Referendum Business Network, bringing together the Scottish Government, the Scotland Office, the STUC and business organisations, to help shape future policy and support.

We will introduce a Bill to replace Air Passenger Duty. Our intention is to halve the overall level of APD by the end of this parliament to support growth and improve our connections with the rest of the world.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So, if she's doing all that, why the need for independence?

But, were Scotland independent, who would pay for all that?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Space Mackerel

If I had previously lived in Scotland all my life and never had any real wish to leave, but agreed to move to Swindon because my wife wanted to be nearer her family, would that count against me in your book?

2 logins for here. Nice [emoji106]

Space Mackerel

So, if she's doing all that, why the need for independence?

But, were Scotland independent, who would pay for all that?

The residents and companies based in Scotland who are liable for taxable income.

The residents and companies based in Scotland who are liable for taxable income.

Answer the first question, please.

And do yourself a favour and don't believe the lies you read on Wings, nat facebook pages and all that improvised, dishonest nonsense.

Space Mackerel

Answer the first question, please.

And do yourself a favour and don't believe the lies you read on Wings, nat facebook pages and all that improvised, dishonest nonsense.

Too wee, too stupid....blah blah blah

You never answered, do live in Swindon, yes or no?

I live near Swindon. I have parents in their mid 70s living locally who I am reluctant to leave behind. I am visiting them as we speak. We are all Scots born and bred with our accents preserved. Just because I don't live in Scotland does not mean that I don't care deeply about it. I visit regularly and follow Scottish media.

As I've said, I'd be very sad about independence, but if it happened, I would get over it and wish any government elected well and hope it worked out. Life's too short to be bitter (that's best left to Hobos) and there's far too much bitterness around and some real nastiness.

Space Mackerel

I live near Swindon. I have parents in their mid 70s living locally who I am reluctant to leave behind. I am visiting them as we speak. We are all Scots born and bred with our accents preserved. Just because I don't live in Scotland does not mean that I don't care deeply about it. I visit regularly and follow Scottish media.

As I've said, I'd be very sad about independence, but if it happened, I would get over it and wish any government elected well and hope it worked out. Life's too short to be bitter (that's best left to Hobos) and there's far too much bitterness around and some real nastiness.

So the whole independent thing doesn't really matter to you as you live down South and you pop up here for the odd Hearts match.

I wonder how many other people on here can relate to that?

So the whole independent thing doesn't really matter to you as you live down South and you pop up here for the odd Hearts match.

Well actually, it does matter to me - A LOT. Independence would mean me becoming a foreigner here, which currently I'm not. I think you'll find there are a good many expat Scots on here who care and on both sides of the debate. We have season ticket holders who live outside Scotland.

Space Mackerel

Well actually, it does matter to me - A LOT. Independence would mean me becoming a foreigner here, which currently I'm not. I think you'll find there are a good many expat Scots on here who care and on both sides of the debate. We have season ticket holders who live outside Scotland.

A foreigner? Don't be so dramatic.

The worlds globalised now.

Too wee, too stupid....blah blah blah

Refusal to face facts and answer questions will do for your movement.

Durant-Lie.jpg

So why the need for independence?

Space Mackerel

Refusal to face facts and answer questions will do for your movement.

Durant-Lie.jpg

Locked down the Scottish and The UK parliaments [emoji23]

Ok then.

I just happen to like being both Scottish and Britiish and btw I am a point blank atheist and cannot stand Sevco and all the baggage surrounding them.

Space Mackerel

I just happen to like being both Scottish and Britiish and btw I am a point blank atheist and cannot stand Sevco and all the baggage surrounding them.

You've got an identity crisis.

You could shift that on to being European, the whole world and then the solar system.

I live in England, have done for 14 years, to suggest that it doesn't really matter to me shows how little you understand about being Scottish.

Space Mackerel

I live in England, have done for 14 years, to suggest that it doesn't really matter to me shows how little you understand about being Scottish.

You planning coming back likes?

You've got an identity crisis.

You could shift that on to being European, the whole world and then the solar system.

I'm very comfortable with my identity thanks.

You planning coming back likes?

"likes"!!! After reading your posts I'm having second thought.

Space Mackerel

I'm very comfortable with my identity thanks.

Good. So get on with your life in England and leave us to get on with ours up here. It's quite simple.

Space Mackerel

"likes"!!! After reading your posts I'm having second thought.

Good, enjoy your life down South. No ones stopping you up here [emoji106]

Good. So get on with your life in England and leave us to get on with ours up here. It's quite simple.

The best thing about this thread is the relaxing thought that you and aussieh are British. This was the decision of the people of Scotchland and, per the thread title, it won't be changing. This is  Good Thing and gives me the Yes feeling.

Space Mackerel

The best thing about this thread is the relaxing thought that you and aussieh are British. This was the decision of the people of Scotchland and, per the thread title, it won't be changing. This is Good Thing and gives me the Yes feeling.

The best thing about this thread is that there's a lot of people being outed that have no baring on what goes on up here.

Away and scoff a paella.

The best thing about this thread is that there's a lot of people being outed that have no baring on what goes on up here.

As part of Britain what goes on up there has a bearing on everyone in BRITAIN, now away and scoff some broken glass.

Space Mackerel

As part of Britain what goes on up there has a bearing on everyone in BRITAIN, now away and scoff some broken glass.

Lovely. Tell us up here how we are meant to live our lives [emoji23]

Lovely. Tell us up here how we are meant to live our lives [emoji23]

Really? That's the best you can do?

Space Mackerel

Really? That's the best you can do?

Yep, you don't live here so personally I couldn't care less. [emoji106]

Are people like still allowed to breed up there?

Really, John Cooper Clarke, a love story in reverse, I'll never read or listen to it again without thinking of you.

Space Mackerel

Are people like still allowed to breed up there?

Really, John Cooper Clarke, a love story in reverse, I'll never read or listen to it again without thinking of you.

John Cooper Clarke?

Is he your favourite pop star...likes? [emoji23][emoji23]

The Brave New Scotland we all adore,

Internationalism no more

John Cooper Clarke?

Is he your favourite pop star...likes? [emoji23][emoji23]

I know who you are now, you've just changed your middle to "Kray" haven't you, it is you isn't it......it all becomes clear.

Space Mackerel

I know who you are now, you've just changed your middle to "Kray" haven't you, it is you isn't it......it all becomes clear.

There is doctors that can help you [emoji106]

Space Mackerel

The Brave New Scotland we all adore,

Internationalism no more

Ken, shame, Brexit and all that

Ken, shame, Brexit and all that

Who's Ken?

Does he live in Scotland?

Does his opinion count?

Space Mackerel

Who's Ken?

Does he live in Scotland?

Does his opinion count?

Old Hearts.

Old by name, old by nature

Old Hearts.

Old by name, old by nature

Space Mackeral.

A political trumpet.

Space Mackerel

Space Mackeral.

A political trumpet.

Old...and utterly...old in your beliefs [emoji106]

Old...and utterly...old in your beliefs [emoji106]

Yup. Growing old and senile in this old folks home in Brigadoon. Our currency here is pandrops.

Wait, I think I can solve Nicola's problem.....

Space Mackerel

Yup. Growing old and senile in this old folks home in Brigadoon. Our currency here is pandrops.

Wait, I think I can solve Nicola's problem.....

Good, pass it on, we are all waiting on baited breath to hear.

Good, pass it on, we are all waiting on baited breath to hear.

Whoosh!! You young ones are too slow on the uptake.

?15 billion lololololol

807310e69a90265e57ee490767395828.jpg

For someone that goes on about the MSM and BBC spreading lies and being biased etc, it's laughable you choose to believe and even worse share nonsense like this.

Virtually the whole thing is complete nonsense and totally incorrect. There is a reason none of this is ever in the MSM - it's all fiction, created by deluded nationalists with a poor understanding of Scottish finances and intended to be shared to other naive, easily manipulated people who can get the Yes vote over 50%.

If I had previously lived in Scotland all my life and never had any real wish to leave, but agreed to move to Swindon because my wife wanted to be nearer her family, would that count against me in your book?

Yip

Space Mackeral.

A political trumpet.

Plays a cracking tune, though.

Pity your auld and deef with pandrops stuck up your ....

A good test of an argument is often "how likely is it that the person making the argument believes it him or herself?"

I'm not sure if I believe that nobody who lives anywhere except Scotland matters to you, or that any of your family and friends would immediately cease to matter to you if they moved away.

If independence does happen, will you be appalled if a single penny is spent on foreign aid?

A good test of an argument is often "how likely is it that the person making the argument believes it him or herself?"

I'm not sure if I believe that nobody who lives anywhere except Scotland matters to you, or that any of your family and friends would immediately cease to matter to you if they moved away.

If independence does happen, will you be appalled if a single penny is spent on foreign aid?

Yes if its for rUK.

Probably a fair few Scots that left will come back for an independent Scotland.

Yip

See above.

Plays a cracking tune, though.

Pity your auld and deef with pandrops stuck up your ....

At what age are people as good as dead? 50? 60? When did you cut all ties with your grandparents?

The separatists know it all, what currency will we be using if they get indy Is it the boaby, the smackeroonie, Is it the Euro?Sturgeon has had years to tell us.

Why don't they tell us, it is all planned and easy.

Who will be our lender of last resort.

We are a worse basket case than Greece, is that possible?

Oil would be 7 billion a year, now it is 60 million,promises and lies.

But feck all that we will have oor freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

Thank god enough of us seen through the lies and fantasy and voted No.

We would be out of Europe already and on our knees.

Not true Scots,quislings and traitors, because we are not stupid and brainwashed.

Right you use a downturn in oil revenue to put down independence. But what about recession and the 2008 disaster, that doesn't show this union in a good light.

Any numbers on fuel duty revenue?

Yip

If one of your friends actually does this, will you

(i) Say good on you and wish him all the best, or

(ii) Tell him good riddance to bad rubbish and call him a quisling?

Archived