Brexit?

aussieh

Francis Albert

Just been down the shops for the rolls and paper (The National of course) served by the friendly Polish lad and said hello to the owner of the Chinese takeaway on way out. I wasn't a ball of seething mess at this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

as would the vast majority of so called little englanders. They wouldn't think of smugly congratulating themselves though.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Link

Mr Neil said around 400,000 of the million Scots who backed Brexit also supported independence and warned Ms Sturgeon?s prospectus of a separate Scotland leaving the UK to join the EU risked alienating them.

He said: ?A proportion may not well vote for independence. Anecdotally a lot of them have hardened their position. A lot of them don?t understand why we don?t want to be run by London and would rather be run by Brussels.?

:spoton:

Space Mackerel

as would the vast majority of so called little englanders. They wouldn't think of smugly congratulating themselves though.

I didn't though at the time, just when I saw your post. I actually don't give 2 hoots where people come from on Earth.

jack D and coke

I didn't though at the time, just when I saw your post. I actually don't give 2 hoots where people come from on Earth.

Because you live somewhere largely unaffected by it. Scotland doesn't know what immigration is and the last large scale immigration that occurred up here in the 1850's onwards still seems to cause quite a bit of bother to this day.

The smugness from some Scots and SNP voters in particular really isn't an endearing quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Space Mackerel

Because you live somewhere largely unaffected by it. Scotland doesn't know what immigration is and the last large scale immigration that occurred up here in the 1850's onwards still seems to cause quite a bit of bother to this day.

The smugness from some Scots and SNP voters in particular really isn't an endearing quality.

Last time I checked, Edinburgh is hooching with tourists and people from other countries. You should learn to embrace this and see the riches that make the planet a more interesting place to live.

Francis Albert

A black american comedian at the fringe a couple of years ago called edinburgh the whitest place he had ever been. With reason if you have ever spent time in any major english or american city. But i have still heard people in edinburgh moaning that those indians are getting everywhere. Its a minority as in england but maybe less understandable given the numbrrs involved in tolerant scotland.

jack D and coke

Last time I checked, Edinburgh is hooching with tourists and people from other countries. You should learn to embrace this and see the riches that make the planet a more interesting place to live.

Edinburgh is fantastic I love it and I have eyes I can see the amount of foreign people here on holidays....but it's largely unaffected by immigration as is most of Scotland. The same can't be said for large parts or England.

I'm not sure what your point is there tbh other than saying I'm using veiled racism...

My point is if Scotland had the amount of immigration England has faced you'd get very similar results.

Francis Albert

how very tolerant and cosmopolitan.maybe if you had children attending schools where the majority of pupils had english as a second language your tolerance might be tested a little more than seeing lots of tourists. I think immigration has been good for england and immensely enriched its culture. Scotland is still a bit parochial in comparison

Space Mackerel

Edinburgh is fantastic I love it and I have eyes I can see the amount of foreign people here on holidays....but it's largely unaffected by immigration as is most of Scotland. The same can't be said for large parts or England.

I'm not sure what your point is there tbh other than saying I'm using veiled racism...

My point is if Scotland had the amount of immigration England has faced you'd get very similar results.

That's just more whatabootery from you. Scotland and England are vastly different in how they perceive others and how others perceive them.

Rudi-Robertson

A black american comedian at the fringe a couple of years ago called edinburgh the whitest place he had ever been. With reason if you have ever spent time in any major english or american city. But i have still heard people in edinburgh moaning that those indians are getting everywhere. Its a minority as in england but maybe less understandable given the numbrrs involved in tolerant scotland.

The next time you go to London, Birmingham, Paris or even Brussels say that this is one of blackest places you've ever been and see how long you last

I'm currently here on shift at Haymarket. My two other dispatchers are from Poland and the Czech Republic. One of my barrier staff is from Poland too. The back shift in the booking office will be a fellow from Ghana. The barrier staff will have another fellow from Poland on the back shift. Yes very little immigrants in Edinburgh.

When holocaust denier and racist historian David Irving came to Edinburgh quite a few years back, he said it reminded him of London in the 1950s. Given that it's hard to conceive of two cities on the same island that could be more different architecturally and physically, it's clear that he was talking about exactly the same thing your Fringe comedian was getting at, and it's almost impossible to disagree with the conclusion you draw. I remember getting quite annoyed with a guy from the Republic of Ireland who was working for me in the 1980s whose favourite saying was "We in the Republic of Ireland are non-racist." Questions about how the Republic had dealt with mass immigration were met with a blank look.

jack D and coke

That's just more whatabootery from you. Scotland and England are vastly different in how they perceive others and how others perceive them.

No it isn't. That's what the SNP will try make you believe but we're not.

I know English people who have moved up here and suffered abuse ffs[emoji1]

Scotland is every bit as racist as anywhere else on earth.

Rudi-Robertson

True

Examples recently on Facebook from yesers and lefties being anyone who says Britain should take our country back from Brussels are racists yet these same cretins post about taking our country back from Westminster

There's no reasoning with people from left, they are the biggest hypocrites and fascists going. It is they're way or no way

Space Mackerel

Then that statement would've been backed up by a similar percentage in the Brexit vote, which it wasn't.

True

Examples recently on Facebook from yesers and lefties being anyone who says Britain should take our country back from Brussels are racists yet these same cretins post about taking our country back from Westminster

There's no reasoning with people from left, they are the biggest hypocrites and fascists going. It is they're way or no way

:huh:     :lol:    :1132:

Space Mackerel

True

Taking back your country from the EU? What exactly does that mean? It's laughable.

Francis Albert

Then that statement would've been backed up by a similar percentage in the Brexit vote, which it wasn't.

spectacularly missing the point of this lttle debate about the relative impact of immigration on scotland and england. But thanks your posts have made the point about the smug superiority of some scots better than i could.

Rudi-Robertson

There we go again. All brexiteers are racist. Change the record mate, you and your lot are beyond boring now

Space Mackerel

spectacularly missing the point of this lttle debate about the relative impact of immigration on scotland and england. But thanks your posts have made the point about the smug superiority of some scots better than i could.

I can't help the fact I'm not a racist arsehole. A human being is another human being to me. There's nothing smug about that, only. common sense.

Daydream Believer

True

It's possible to believe that people who voted to leave did so because they're racist, and also to believe that Scotland should become independent (perhaps to separate from the perceived racists?). I don't necessarily agree with either of those views but to hold them is neither hypocritical nor fascist.

Rudi-Robertson

Taking back your country from the EU? What exactly does that mean? It's laughable.

Your guess is as good as mines but seen as you and your ilk have been wanting our country back from Westminster your probably a little more clued up so you tell me

jack D and coke

Immigration levels aren't a problem here. Scotlands problem is people leaving our population has hardly changed for decades.

Space Mackerel

Your guess is as good as mines but seen as you and your ilk have been wanting our country back from Westminster your probably a little more clued up so you tell me

So you don't know why you voted to leave the EU?

Why do I want Scotland to be independent, well it's absolutely nothing to do with being anti-English for starters.

how very tolerant and cosmopolitan.maybe if you had children attending schools where the majority of pupils had english as a second language your tolerance might be tested a little more than seeing lots of tourists. I think immigration has been good for england and immensely enriched its culture. Scotland is still a bit parochial in comparison

Scotland's largest cities have a higher proportion of non U.K. born immigrants than England and Wales. In E+W they have recently had numerous racist attacks apparently as a result of the Brexit vote. Consuls from some EU countries have said they had encountered none of this in Scotland.

How do you account for this? Smug superiority or parochialism on the part of Scots or an attempt at cultural enrichment by those to the south?

Space Mackerel

Immigration levels aren't a problem here. Scotlands problem is people leaving our population has hardly changed for decades.

Which in turn lends credence that Scotland needs immigrants to prop it up.

Who's going to be wiping your arse in the care home when your dribbling out the corner of your mouth?

Rudi-Robertson

So you don't know why you voted to leave the EU?

Why do I want Scotland to be independent, well it's absolutely nothing to do with being anti-English for starters.

You do realise you Scotland won't be independent within the EU? No matter what way the SNP dress it up. Your simply handing your arse over to Brussels

Black immigration surely you mean

We had mass Eastern European immigration 10 years ago

Space Mackerel

You do realise you Scotland won't be independent within the EU? No matter what way the SNP dress it up. Your simply handing your arse over to Brussels

Big bad Brussels coming over here straightening our bananas and cucumbers. Giving us cleaner beaches, better employment status etc etc etc etc.

And you're handing it over to one of the most right wing governments this country has ever seen? The working class have never been so stupid. Utterly duped by Boris and Farage, 2 multi millionaire posh English dunces.

Rudi-Robertson

Big bad Brussels coming over here straightening our bananas and cucumbers. Giving us cleaner beaches, better employment status etc etc etc etc.

And you're handing it over to one of the most right wing governments this country has ever seen? The working class have never been so stupid. Utterly duped by Boris and Farage, 2 multi millionaire posh English dunces.

The same old fabby gets trotted out every time. Right wing Westminster eh

The people were given the choice and the chose to "right wing Westminster"

Suck it up ya ticket

Francis Albert

Scotland's largest cities have a higher proportion of non U.K. born immigrants than England and Wales. In E+W they have recently had numerous racist attacks apparently as a result of the Brexit vote. Consuls from some EU countries have said they had encountered none of this in Scotland.

How do you account for this? Smug superiority or parochialism on the part of Scots or an attempt at cultural enrichment by those to the south?

most non-uk bor immigrants are white and therefore no visible. Most also speak english at least as well as most scots. And it is a decade long process in scotland as opposed to 50 years in england. I am pretty sceptical about a big increase in racial violence since the brexit vote - there has been a lot more remoaner onspired reporting of sicj incidents. But theain point os that the assertion that scots are inherently more tolerant and better human beings than english people is tosh verging on a sort of racism itself.

Space Mackerel

The same old fabby gets trotted out every time. Right wing Westminster eh

The people were given the choice and the chose to "right wing Westminster"

Suck it up ya ticket

I'm sucking it up all I want, Brexit brings independence much closer more quicker. How do you like them apples? [emoji2]

Rudi-Robertson

I'm sucking it up all I want, Brexit brings independence much closer more quicker. How do you like them apples? [emoji2]

It doesn't bring independence any closer whatsoever if Nicola Sturgeon gets her way and takes us into the EU

Rudi-Robertson

"Remoaner"

Very educated and mature

Funny

As opposed to simply labelling everyone who voted to leave "Racist"

Space Mackerel

It doesn't bring independence any closer whatsoever if Nicola Sturgeon gets her way and takes us into the EU

I just cant following any of that logic. Anyway, I'm off to the game.

:facepalm: Aye, cause the EU rules us. :rofl:

Gies peace

Rudi-Robertson

:facepalm: Aye, cause the EU rules us. :rofl:

Gies peace

It's on it's way to becoming a super state. United States of Europe

As opposed to simply labelling everyone who voted to leave "Racist"

Yeah

Of course the biggest stupidity is generalising

You make a big mistake if you frame your arguments away from the main substance to the fringes of insults and fear

Rudi-Robertson

Yeah

Of course the biggest stupidity is generalising

You make a big mistake if you frame your arguments away from the main substance to the fringes of insults and fear

It is stupid and narrow minded to label everyone racist who voted different to yourself which most remainere are clinging onto

As I say there's little to no reasoning with the left

It is stupid and narrow minded to label everyone racist who voted different to yourself which most remainere are clinging onto

Aye. Because it was just the left that voted to Remain. :cornette:

Another generalisation

You are indeed stupid

People are saying they have been "betrayed" eg 99% in Daily Express poll.

But really the fault is a lack of clear leadership and clarity by the government on position. Made worse by shambles of Brexit campaign. Surely over a weekend they could have come to a clear position starting point on negotiations that could be made public and debated and approved by Parliament.

But they don't seem to know. Managing too many divisions.

The Mighty Thor

People are saying they have been "betrayed" eg 99% in Daily Express poll.

To be fair 99% of Daily Express readers are arseholes. Fact.

Rudi-Robertson

Another generalisation

You are indeed stupid

Yeah, reasoned debate. The only form the left know, personal insults and picking up on grammar mistakes

Racist incidents rose during the yes / no referendum.

It didnt specify but its widely believed that the english were the victims.

I dont think with scotlands history we can claim to be better than anyone else.

Space Mackerel

Racist incidents rose during the yes / no referendum.

It didnt specify but its widely believed that the english were the victims.

I dont think with scotlands history we can claim to be better than anyone else.

You've been reading Express reports by that daft twisted Siobhan lassie and following JK Rowling too much on Twatter.

Archived