Nielson must go!

Fenerjambo

Bazzas right boot

Very quickly. 2 things.

1. Robbie is a top bloke, has done us proud as a player & manager down the years & works his bloody socks off for the club.

2. But - he needs to completely change our overall style of football.

Taking an age to turn defence into attack, keeping a midfield so separated from the frontline they'd need a taxi to get up in support, and sitting off opposition teams admiring them knocking the ball about, just won't work I'm afraid. We need more pace & running at the oppo & closing them down when they have the ball.

When we do this we are very good, this is the frustrating aspect.

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dusk_Till_Dawn

It's the vitriol I don't understand. He's done some very good work for us for two years. I agree that the performances have been mixed (and the away games I've been too have more often than not been awful - really to the point where they're impossible to defend) so I understand that people might not be thrilled but all this " shitebag, buffoon" stuff seems well over the top.

I generally feel that when a manager loses the away crowd, he's in trouble. That seems to have happened with a Robbie so he's going to have to either respond to that or sink. Big summer ahead for him.

Son Of Anarchy

When we do this we are very good, this is the frustrating aspect.

Which is what Walker was meant to do yesterday but didn't. Reilly running at them also making room for Juanma would have worked great against that Celtic defense :(

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Very quickly. 2 things.

1. Robbie is a top bloke, has done us proud as a player & manager down the years & works his bloody socks off for the club.

Taking an age to turn defence into attack, keeping a midfield so separated from the frontline they'd need a taxi to get up in support, and sitting off opposition teams admiring them knocking the ball about, just won't work I'm afraid. We need more pace & running at the oppo & closing them down when they have the ball.

Well in terraces, this is a good post

FarmerTweedy

Know at least 4 folk who couldn't be bothered going today, I was actually a bit late, but home before the final whistle. What home games are left at home this seaz? Who cares. Utterly tedious season from start to finish and really can't be bothered going to either.

Well, if you and your mates are only interested in supporting the team when they're winning regularly and consistently playing great football, that's your choice. It doesn't mean the club should sack the head coach that's doing a good job, and if you think this season's been utterly tedious, I can only assume you've found the majority of our seasons tedious, because this one has been better than most.

Well, if you and your mates are only interested in supporting the team when they're winning regularly and consistently playing great football, that's your choice. It doesn't mean the club should sack the head coach that's doing a good job, and if you think this season's been utterly tedious, I can only assume you've found the majority of our seasons tedious, because this one has been better than most.

I don't think it's to do with results, obviously they help, but it's the way Robbie goes about setting us up and the way we play.

In simple terms it's pish.

CollyWolly

And the automatic, obvious shoe in replacement with great tactics, incredible style and totally attacking would be?

None that fall into all those categories that are available to us.

However there are a few names who would be better, some of whom folk won't like or agree with.

1. For organisation, motivation, solidity and making the most of what he has - John Hughes.

2. For identifying and recruiting players - Derek Mcinnes

3. For experience and playing without fear - McGhee or McCall.

4. For a bit of excitement and a chance for unfinished business to be done - Paulo Sergio.

I would take any one of the above over Neilson. That's without even having a look beyond Scotland.

It should have been ten

More and more of a struggle to look at kickback these days. Disappointed with result yesterday, but reaction on here has been incredible recently. Expectations are ridiculous now.

This in spades

Tiberius Stinkfinger

I hope Robbie sticks around for a good few years yet.

Doing a fantastic job at the moment.

Mr Rabbit

It's the vitriol I don't understand. He's done some very good work for us for two years. I agree that the performances have been mixed (and the away games I've been too have more often than not been awful - really to the point where they're impossible to defend) so I understand that people might not be thrilled but all this " shitebag, buffoon" stuff seems well over the top.

I generally feel that when a manager loses the away crowd, he's in trouble. That seems to have happened with a Robbie so he's going to have to either respond to that or sink. Big summer ahead for him.

Agree with this.

At home I have no issues at all with the style or the performances as it's brought very strong results. The question is the away games and I can understand a cautious approach away from home if we're winning games regardless but we're not.

I would be much happier/ confident in giving Neilson time to rectify these issues than bring in someone new. The people asking for change realise that there's just as much chance of us being poorer, statistically more probable, than improving on which will likely be the third best finish we've had in 20 years?

John Findlay

Our second season in after being a baw's hair away from not being here at all. We are going to finish 3rd in the top division. That's not bad going. The two teams that are finishing above us have been works in progress a wee bit longer than us. We secured 3rd before the split.

Go back too 83/84. We were in the big league again after the yoyo years. We won our first 5 games that season too but finished 5th in the end. The following season didn't set the heather on fire either but the season after that well the torch paper was lit. Maybe it is just me but supporters gave the impression they were more patient than many today. A team loses two games in a row and the knives are out. The manager is a useless this a useless that. His tactics are rubbish he hasn't a clue etc etc etc. If this football coaching/managing was a doddle we would all be doing it. I am sure Ann Budge's desk must be overflowing with applications and CVS with all these want to be coaches/managers?

This season was always a bedding in season. Next season is a more acid test and we will begin to find out if lessons have been learned. Personally I think they will have. I don't think the people who are running Heart of Midlothian both on and off the pitch are stupid people. I know others disagree and that is their right to do so. But I firmly believe at this moment in time it is onwards and upwards for us.

Rattatooi

Bunch of moaning Minnie's on this thread. Championship in the first season, third and Europe in the second, bloody amazing return for a guy just starting to learn his trade. I get the bile when I hear fans of the two arse cheeks moaning because they haven't spent x million on new players, or they didn't beat some team by five goals, like they "deserve" it, and here are some of our fans carrying on in the same way because we haven't won everything already.

Robbie has earned my support, without a doubt, and I look forward to see where he can take us in the next few years.

Tasavallan

Why are folk so quick to blame Neilson rather than the players? The team obviously weren't playing the way he expected them to, hence two subs at half time.

He made the right changes. Our defence cost us the game, not our manager.

I disagree to an extent. Neilson picked the starting 11, the formation, playing three at the back. the negative tactics and decided to start with Cowie and Oshaniwa as wing backs while leaving Paterson on the bench. Neilson's influence had an impact on the game.

The formation clearly did not work in the first half so Neilson decided to go to a back four. This did not work as the 2 centre halfs were out of sync with each other and the shape disjointed. Let's not forget the Celtic chances that Alexander saved certain goals. Either start with a back 3 or a back 4 but whichever Neilson selected he should have stuck with it. Would have needed more than 3 subs to improve the first half 11.

Overall the season has been a curate's egg.

Getintaethem

Anyone who thinks Neilson won't lead us into the next campaign is living in a parallel universe.

Not having a go a posters who are commenting on our style of play or the way we set up for games, these are valid points. But those who think Neilson should be sacked now are kidding themselves on.

If you think it's a ridiculous expectation to simply do better than finishing above Ross County and St. Johnstone then perhaps you'd be more comfortable down Lochend way.

We weren't good enough to challenge Celtic, it's fanciful to even suggest it this season. But what's the point in focusing on what we can't do? We can challenge he Aberdeen, we should be in fact. If you think that's out of our grasp then it's panic stations next year.

Robbie needs to get back to the drawing board and rethink his strategy and overall setup. Hopefully next season he can alter our slide against anyone half decent, and that's on what he will be judged. He shouldn't go, but he's not the most convincing either, and our last 3 performances have been largely shocking.

Anyone who thinks Neilson won't lead us into the next campaign is living in a parallel universe.

Not having a go a posters who are commenting on our style of play or the way we set up for games, these are valid points. But those who think Neilson should be sacked now are kidding themselves on.

Kickback is a parallel universe, mate.

Getintaethem

Kickback is a parallel universe, mate.

It's like an online asylum at times.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Clearly 3rd is acceptable. Neilson shouldn't go purely because of an assessment of this season. But I think he's going backwards against the smaller teams and simply continuing his poor performance in the big games. Gut feeling, and feel free to bookmark something I'd be delighted to be wrong about, but there may be some big trouble ahead next season.

Very quickly. 2 things.

Does Neilson have the authority to change our overall style?

gowestjambo

Quite simply Neilson must go.................back to the tactics that worked well.

No one really wants Neilson sacked, but it is obvious to everyone what style of play has worked best.

Fast tempo starting on the front foot, pressing high up the park, first to every ball and making sure we take the initiative before the opposition. 

Why there are so many dissenting voices is we have ignored what has worked, and turned into a team with zero energy, playing too deep, handing the initiative to the opposition straight from kick off, not closing down, and needless sideways passes.

Is it really too much to ask when we know we have the capabilities to do much better?

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Quite simply Neilson must go.................back to the tactics that worked well.

No one really wants Neilson sacked, but it is obvious to everyone what style of play has worked best.

Fast tempo starting on the front foot, pressing high up the park, first to every ball and making sure we take the initiative before the opposition.

Why there are so many dissenting voices is we have ignored what has worked, and turned into a team with zero energy, playing too deep, handing the initiative to the opposition straight from kick off, not closing down, and needless sideways passes.

Is it really too much to ask when we know we have the capabilities to d much better?

But how long do we wait? Some of the players are losing that capability. Billy King was farmed out, Nicholson is struggling, Walker is still playing well but he even he looks less dynamic, Paterson is moaning at the bench frequently about our style. Last year we looked great (poor opposition granted) when these players drove into the box, scored goals, got penalties, worried defenders, made things happen. But now it's like the very things that brought them and us success are being coached out of them.

I think the young crew and the plane phoodle tits have just realised kickback is a place to pedal their shit because it's not welcome at Tynecastle. Can we not just ignore them now we are giving the air time they crave. Or even better Mods can we not punt them as kickback is no longer the place for reasoned hearts chat.

Reasoned Hearts chat?  :facepalm: 

What you mean is chat about Hearts as long s it conforms to the rules of never questioning the management ? hardly reasoned Hearts chat is it? It's a football forum for fans of the team there will always be differences of opinions, I don't think KB is at the level of North Korea yet where we must all have the same opinion and agree on the same thing or people are "Launched" "Punted" etc. The last time i read the KB T&C's/Rules it was against the rules to ask mods to ban people. 

alicante jambo

It's like an online asylum at times.

At times???Its fecking mental on here.Im as pissed of as everyone else but it was all about getting out that league and steadying the ship.Were well on our way to doing that.Still need to build everything in tynecastle and that includes the team.Robbie is still learning i wouldve bit youre hand off for 3rd this season.Robbie needs another season before we can judge him.

amadjambo

It's even more frustrating that we are ending the season on a bit of a downer. Our form has fallen off a cliff although to be fair, our season ended at ER months ago.

Would have been nice to finish off with a few wins to take us into the summer full of positivity.

Think Robbie is very safe. It would take the crowds to drop for people high up at the club to take a bit of notice.

Luckily it's just a very loud minority that want him out on here then eh?

Dirty Deeds

He's got to be a better manager than he was two years ago.

As long as we improve each season he's no case to answer.

Jamhammer

However there are a few names who would be better, some of whom folk won't like or agree with.

1. For organisation, motivation, solidity and making the most of what he has - John Hughes.

4. For a bit of excitement and a chance for unfinished business to be done - Paulo Sergio.

I would take any one of the above over Neilson. That's without even having a look beyond Scotland.

1. Finished above him

2. Wouldn't leave the Dandies for us

3. Seriously? I mean f'n seriously? McCall has won nowt as a manager and McGhee is 13 points behind Neilson in the table currently.

4. I love the man but no

All of whom have years more experience than Neilson.

We have a young squad with a young manager and are halfway through a building process, deal with it.

socrates82

Neilson simply doesn't have what it takes to take us to the next level. We'll continue to struggle if he remains in charge.

He's already taken us to the next level. Promotion and 3rd is our last two seasons is significantly better than 10th and relegation in the previous two. He's also done a better job in the league than every manager we had under Romanov aside from Burley. Lazlo and JJ got us 3rd as well but had much bigger budgets to work with. Robbie did better in the cups than both of them.

socrates82

All these people saying all we have to do to get 2nd or 1st is to "have a go" like it's that easy.

Let's get Jimmy Calderwood in then. Out of all the managers I can think of in recent times he had a reputation for having a go. It got him nowhere other than reasonably consistent top 6 league positions and he won nothing.

The time to have a go is when we can afford players who can play a high tempo attacking game consistently well and strikers who can finish. We had one in Sow and we could have finished second this year if we'd been able to keep him. We'll strengthen this summer so interesting to see how we do next year.

Bazzas right boot

He will get and he deserves nest season.

If we improve again,  then, in all honesty I think he will be away, to bigger/ better things.

If we don't improve, then all this chat is relevant and his position should be discussed and the board need to be brave.

For all the Robbie out, brigade, who would you like to replace  him, either way I think it will be happening next season, I can't think of anyone ( maybe the Edinburgh city management team!)

He will get and he deserves nest season.

If we improve again,  then, in all honesty I think he will be away, to bigger/ better things.

If we don't improve, then all this chat is relevant and his position should be discussed and the board need to be brave.

For all the Robbie out, brigade, who would you like to replace  him, either way I think it will be happening next season, I can't think of anyone ( maybe the Edinburgh city management team!)

Maybe all this chat should be suspended to the end of next season then and we can get on with supporting the manager and leave the real dafties to charter planes etc !

Bazzas right boot

All these people saying all we have to do to get 2nd or 1st is to "have a go" like it's that easy.

Let's get Jimmy Calderwood in then. Out of all the managers I can think of in recent times he had a reputation for having a go. It got him nowhere other than reasonably consistent top 6 league positions and he won nothing.

The time to have a go is when we can afford players who can play a high tempo attacking game consistently well and strikers who can finish. We had one in Sow and we could have finished second this year if we'd been able to keep him. We'll strengthen this summer so interesting to see how we do next year.

I think that's the problem, this team has proven that when it plays a more pressing, attacking style it can score goals and play well.

Jimmy Calderwods teams were crap either way, we have shown that the players can play well in that type  of game, they play poorer in the slower negative, set up.

That's the point in this thread, if we were rotten, then playing defensive would make sense, this team, imo has proven , that if the correct team is picked, and we play a high tempo game we are a good team, I like Robbie, but we do not do this enough and it makes us poorer, and the players do at times look confused and frustrated.

Bazzas right boot

Maybe all this chat should be suspended to the end of next season then and we can get on with supporting the manager and leave the real dafties to charter planes etc !

Ha ha, it's right to question some performance's and tactics, it has been a tad frustrating, but Robbie to be sacked is just silly talk, he clearly has earned next year as our leader!

Shanghai Hearts

Scary stuff.....what do people expect? I remember being delighted with a top of the table finish....(as I am this year). Not seen the team this year but surely people must see we are moving forward?? 

He Who Cannot Be Named

John Hughes over neilson aye? You're at it.

Ha ha, it's right to question some performance's and tactics, it has been a tad frustrating, but Robbie to be sacked is just silly talk, he clearly has earned next year as our leader!

That's my point, mate.

Even people who dislike Neilson say they will give him another season....as if they make the decisions ! So give him the season and get behind him.

A whole season of criticising every decision he makes is depressing...not for the likes of me who won't but the people doing the criticism.

amadjambo

Scary stuff.....what do people expect? I remember being delighted with a top of the table finish....(as I am this year). Not seen the team this year but surely people must see we are moving forward??

The fact you have not seen the team shows why you are happy. We have been terrible to watch this season.

Have we progressed from last season? I'm not so sure. Yes we have better players, and yes we are playing in a stronger league, but I'm not convinced we have a better team. Our team last season would have outfought and outworked this season's team.

Christ, Forfar nearly beat us and took us to ET by working harder than us, and Forfar have just been relegated.

socrates82

The fact you have not seen the team shows why you are happy. We have been terrible to watch this season.

Have we progressed from last season? I'm not so sure. Yes we have better players, and yes we are playing in a stronger league, but I'm not convinced we have a better team. Our team last season would have outfought and outworked this season's team.

Christ, Forfar nearly beat us and took us to ET by working harder than us, and Forfar have just been relegated.

The Championship was a completely different league. It was unrealistic to expect us to have the amount of possession and time on the ball this season, not to mention the higher quality of defenders and goalies  in particular we're playing against. I've never seen us score so many goals from outside the box as last season - the goalkeeping in that league was abysmal.

We've progressed since our last 2 seasons in the Premiership though that's for sure.

I don't know why people expect Robbie Neilson to achieve better things at Hearts than other managers with much more experience have been able to achieve. We've always had shock results and inconsistent performances and "what might have been" seasons no matter who our manager has been.

socrates82

John Hughes over neilson aye? You're at it.

Reminds me of when some Hearts fans wanted Terry Butcher. Be careful what you wish for and all that.

socrates82

I think that's the problem, this team has proven that when it plays a more pressing, attacking style it can score goals and play well.

Jimmy Calderwods teams were crap either way, we have shown that the players can play well in that type  of game, they play poorer in the slower negative, set up.

That's the point in this thread, if we were rotten, then playing defensive would make sense, this team, imo has proven , that if the correct team is picked, and we play a high tempo game we are a good team, I like Robbie, but we do not do this enough and it makes us poorer, and the players do at times look confused and frustrated.

My point is that we're inconsistent because many of our players are inconsistent. That's the market for players we're in. If someone like Djoum or Juanma was more consistent we wouldn't have them for very long - they'd be off as quickly as Osman Sow. Be great if we could afford a guaranteed 20-goal a season striker like Griffiths or a top performer like Bitton or attract a 12m loan player and afford to keep them for a while but we can't.

So we're always going to be having to replace our best players every season or two. We need a manager capable and willing to work within those limitations and Neilson's doing a very good job IMO. Losing Sow when we did for example was out of his hands. And there are generally slim pickings in the January window so we took who we could get.

It's a fecking five year plan dontcha know? By which point we'll be.....still 3rd! Which is pretty much what we've aspired to for my whole life. But seemingly that's ok:(

5 year plans are for losers. Every competition you enter you should go all out to win. Hearts are a massive club and we get beat to many times by inferior teams. This is not good enough.

5 year plans are for losers. Every competition you enter you should go all out to win. Hearts are a massive club and we get beat to many times by inferior teams. This is not good enough.

Well said.

socrates82

Well the plan (including budget) was originally 2 years for promotion then top 6 then Europe. At this rate it's only going to be a 3 year plan with two bonus years to hopefully do even better.

It should have been ten

How any Hearts supporter can want Robbie sacked after getting us promoted by romping the championship last season and finishing 3rd and qualifying for Europe this season is astounding. Surely the majority of us would've been more than delighted if we'd known at the beginning of this season we'd finish 3rd after promotion.

To think we nearly went out the box a couple of years ago.

Fickle football fans, they don't mind a 5 year plan so long as it brings instant results. What would you rather, spunk a shed load of cash hoping for an injury free season where all the big money players play the vast majority of the games and you might have a chance of winning the league or a cup, or build up from the grass roots rebuild the internal running of the club as well as the team to create a business and a club that will meaningfully challenge for the top honours over the long term. Livingston and Gretna may have had little or no fan base, especially compared to us, but they both went for the first approach and it got them nowhere. I don't like losing but surely the progression is plain to see and should be encouraged, not vilified for failing to produce something it didn't set out to achieve at this time.

And Sow makes it 10

How any Hearts supporter can want Robbie sacked after getting us promoted by romping the championship last season and finishing 3rd and qualifying for Europe this season is astounding. Surely the majority of us would've been more than delighted if we'd known at the beginning of this season we'd finish 3rd after promotion.

To think we nearly went out the box a couple of years ago.

Well said - exactly where I am at

How much more do we need to see before this balloon of a manager is emptied. No heart, no tactics, no entertainment, no atmosphere, cup exits terrible,empty seats now appearing, woeful defending etc etc. Does Anne Budge fancy him or are too many of us living in a fantasy world with the most spineless clueless clown we have had in charge. Not one of these players are motivated by him and it's embarrassing. We pay a lot and put a lot into this club and Nielson will not take us forward. Get him out!!

You must have been an unused sub in a 4th division pub team as a player... which makes you an expert...... in your mind!? Morons who know nothing about football on this forum.

Archived