Nielson must go!

Fenerjambo

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

So many people rush to the extremes to make a point or bash someone with a different point of view, but it's really undeniable that there is a large and growing section of the support who are more than happy with the way the club is being run and with the progress so far, but doubt the head coach has the tactical sophistication or the courage frankly to do better. Not speaking for others now but myself, I think it's far more likely we go backwards next season than improve. All the signs point to that imo.

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So many people rush to the extremes to make a point or bash someone with a different point of view, but it's really undeniable that there is a large and growing section of the support who are more than happy with the way the club is being run and with the progress so far, but doubt the head coach has the tactical sophistication or the courage frankly to do better. Not speaking for others now but myself, I think it's far more likely we go backwards next season than improve. All the signs point to that imo.

What signs ?

I'm not talking about buying players but the tactics that cost us games.

Do you honestly think that our current squad is better than Celtic's and would have won the league with different tactics?

CollyWolly

There's a different level of internet bampotry on this thread!

So the folk want to replace Neilson with Hughes. McInnes, Mcghee or McCall?

Ignoring that none of them would work with a dof or qualify for Budge's manager criteria, Hughes was partly reaponsoble for where Hibs are now. He was given more money than any other manager during that tome and failed dismally.

McKinnes couldn't beat gary Locke's hearts and blew a genuine chance to win the league this season.

McGhee has a reputation for jumping ship at the first opportunity amd doesn't seem capable of sustained good performances.

Mccall jumped ship from motherwell because he sniffed a chance at rangers. He failed at a bigger club and is partly reaponsible for the current disaster that is the scotland set-up.

I'm not saying there isn't a better manager than Neilson out there but the Robbie Oot brigade will have to try harder to convince those of us who think he's done very well so far and that some stability will be good for the club.

So any realistic new managers? Bear in mind our budget and that if we do find someone who plays great football AND gets us 2nd or 3rd EVERY season (which seems to be the requirement) we won't be able to keep them very long. So I hope you also have a replacement in mind.

The new man also has to work with a dof. Otherwise you are saying we should abandon the entire vision for the club which means budge should go to.

Interested to hear who the new man should be...

Robbie Neilson does not need to be replaced at this stage. He has done enough to get another season in my opinion and I dare say in most peoples opinion if they think about it deep down.

BUT, this next season WILL and should be his last if he doesn't do at least a couple of the following

1. Improve the away record, particularly against teams we are clearly better than

2. Change the style of play and the mindset to something a bit more positive and less fearful of other teams.

3. Establish the best starting 11 and the best default tactics for the squad available to him and stick to it as far as possible

4. Improve the overall track record in key games, which is poor.

Personally I think we have reached Robbie Neilson's ceiling in terms of achievement and I'd prefer it if we dispensed with him now and got someone in a bit more positive and a bit more experienced and a bit more inventive and motivational, whoever that might be and wherever we have to go to find them. However, if we stick with him, he has to do some of the above and he has to do it from early doors next season or he'll be gone by Christmas IMO.

No more work in progress. No more living on past achievements in lower leagues. No more excuses. We are ready and able NOW in terms of finances and infrastructure so lets see the best effort we can possibly produce, and if that's without Neilson then sobeit.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

What signs ?

Frequent cagey tactics.

Formations far too often designed to thwart the opposition.

Players not trusted to create and play off the cuff (King leaving, Paterson's obvious complaints to the bench).

3 wins in 17 in the games the fans care most about.

Effort questionable and non-existent in the last 6 to 10 games of this season and some of last

Loss of form or shipping out of exciting young players.

socrates82

History suggests we will finish below 3rd as only one manager has managed 2 3rds in a row in recent times (levein ironically) and none have taken us from 3rd to 2nd. It sounds like we'll be recruiting players in the right positions so I think we can at least match what we did this season under Neilson. I'd like to see us go further in the cups though.

Europe could throw a spanner in the works. If we do well that could have an affect on league performances which has happened in the past.

Neilson has a contract intil May 2018. There has to be value in some stability for a couple of years at least before we jump back on the manager merrygoround?

Gordon Ramsay

Robbie Neilson does not need to be replaced at this stage. He has done enough to get another season in my opinion and I dare say in most peoples opinion if they think about it deep down.

BUT, this next season WILL and should be his last if he doesn't do at least a couple of the following

1. Improve the away record, particularly against teams we are clearly better than

2. Change the style of play and the mindset to something a bit more positive and less fearful of other teams.

3. Establish the best starting 11 and the best default tactics for the squad available to him and stick to it as far as possible

4. Improve the overall track record in key games.

Personally I think we have reached Robbie Neilson's ceiling in terms of achievement and I'd prefer it if we dispensed with him now and got someone in a bit more positive and a bit more experienced and a bit more inventive and motivational, whoever that might be and wherever we have to go to find them. However, if we stick with him, he has to do some of the above and he has to do it from early doors next season or he'll be gone by Christmas IMO.

This is exactly where I am at.

socrates82

BUT, this next season WILL and should be his last if he doesn't do at least a couple of the following

2. Change the style of play and the mindset to something a bit more positive and less fearful of other teams.

4. Improve the overall track record in key games, which is poor.

Personally I think we have reached Robbie Neilson's ceiling in terms of achievement and I'd prefer it if we dispensed with him now and got someone in a bit more positive and a bit more experienced and a bit more inventive and motivational, whoever that might be and wherever we have to go to find them. However, if we stick with him, he has to do some of the above and he has to do it from early doors next season or he'll be gone by Christmas IMO.

Again, who should the replacement be? Who is this magical unicorn manager willing to work with a DOF, with only the 3rd or 4th largest budget in the league, and who must play attractive football and mount a title challenge?

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Again, who should the replacement be? Who is this magical unicorn manager willing to work with a DOF, with only the 3rd or 4th largest budget in the league, and whi must paly attractive football and mount a title challenge?

There are literally hundreds and hundreds of coaches all over Europe who would be interested in the Hearts job. Who would have believed JJ would be replaced by the former Sporting Lisbon coach?

Edit - our structure is crying out for a tactically sophisticated and experienced coach. It's an attractive for Europeans who ate used to this format - not solely responsible for player recruitment, don't need to do contracts etc.

Bazzas right boot

Do you honestly think that our current squad is better than Celtic's and would have won the league with different tactics?

I think we could have caught Aberdeen,  we could have ended up on around 75-80- points, we'll end up on maybe 66, .don't think we would have won the league, but we have dropped points, in some peoples opinion because of negative and/ or poor tactics, and it seems to be continuing.

Has anyone considered going on hunger strike to get Phoodle out?

You must appreciate that Neilson was appointed by Levein.

Levein would not have given him the job unless he believed Robbie would toe the line and shared in his 'football philosophy'

I fear the team is now developing into the Levein mould - just like when he was Manager - occasional 3rd place, no cup runs, and industrial football.

just feel if we are really serious about challenging for the 3 trophys domestically then that would only come from a manager who can do things his own way, Levein has done a fair job behind the scenes but maybe he should let robbie go and see how good he can or cannot be by making his own decisions otherwise other fans including myself will always doubt Robbie's credentials as a top coach/manager, I also worry with the brand of football we have played at times this season that we could struggle in Europe next season and to go out in the early rounds would not be a great start to the season, when you look at some of the so called Diddy teams that the likes of the Celtic,Aberdeen,Motherwell,St. John,R County,Inverness have gone out to over the past years then that's exactly what I don't wish for us, seeing other clubs out with the OF doing well in Europe always gives scottish football and myself a real boost even better if that is us plus by what I'm reading on here fans are expecting us to do reasonably well in Europe the more rounds we get through the bigger the lift it gives to all at the club etc

Frequent cagey tactics.

Formations far too often designed to thwart the opposition.

Players not trusted to create and play off the cuff (King leaving, Paterson's obvious complaints to the bench).

3 wins in 17 in the games the fans care most about.

Effort questionable and non-existent in the last 6 to 10 games of this season and some of last

Loss of form or shipping out of exciting young players.

I would consider myself a supporter and the games I care about are every game !

Three points against Ross County is the same as three points against Celtic and that's the reason we are sitting in third.

We have achieved third playing the way that is getting a lot of people in a lather. Granted, sometimes it's pish to watch but we don't have the quality of, say, Celtic to play the way they can at times.

I'll roll up as usual next season and if we finish third, i'll be happy...again.

That's not pessimism but a realistic conclusion and...maybe...another step to something fantastic. 

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Has anyone considered going on hunger strike to get Phoodle out?

Great continuation to what is a largely sensible debate.

socrates82

There are literally hundreds and hundreds of coaches all over Europe who would be interested in the Hearts job. Who would have believed JJ would be replaced by the former Sporting Lisbon coach?

Edit - our structure is crying out for a tactically sophisticated and experienced coach. It's an attractive for Europeans who ate used to this format - not solely responsible for player recruitment, don't need to do contracts etc.

The club's stated policy is to develop young coaches.

CollyWolly

Again, who should the replacement be? Who is this magical unicorn manager willing to work with a DOF, with only the 3rd or 4th largest budget in the league, and who must play attractive football and mount a title challenge?

You honestly think, in the whole world, there is no one available and willing and affordable AND more suited than Robbie Neilson for the job. Seriously ??

Every single manager in the world has a boss, whether its an owner a CEO or a DOF. We are no different.

Leicester just blew any 'budget' argument right out the window for good

Attractive football isn't actually that difficult. Does anyone actually want ugly football ?

A title challenge is perfectly possible given the current state and position of the rivals in the league.

Support Neilson by all means. Your entitled to that opinion and there is a good argument on both sides of the fence, but don't for gods sake pretend that he's the only viable option for the job. That's just silly.

Watt-Zeefuik

So are you saying that our team is weaker than the likes of Hamilton, Dundee United, etc

I disagree.. We are better than every team below us in the league this season.. however poor, defensive tactics have meant that we have dropped points to those teams below us.. This is on Neilson..

I honestly have no idea how this follows from what I said.  Hamilton managed 18 points away before the split, United, 12.  We managed 24 points away, third-most.

If Gary Locke was Jefferies tea boy, then Neilson is Levein's tea boy. He Crawford and Daly were hand picked to do Levein's bidding.

The time to judge them will be at the end of Levein's 5 year plan.

Whatever he goes on to achieve, Neilson will never be forgiven by some fans for his team's capitulation to Hibs in the Cup, and the fact we never turned up in the replay. His inane comment about the replay being "a nice wee money spinner" didn't help either.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

I would consider myself a supporter and the games I care about are every game !

Three points against Ross County is the same as three points against Celtic and that's the reason we are sitting in third.

We have achieved third playing the way that is getting a lot of people in a lather. Granted, sometimes it's pish to watch but we don't have the quality of, say, Celtic to play the way they can at times.

I'll roll up as usual next season and if we finish third, i'll be happy...again.

That's not pessimism but a realistic conclusion and...maybe...another step to something fantastic.

Yeah, three points are three points but fans get up for the big games surely? Also, his performance in those games is indicative - when we play a team who press us and believe they can beat us we struggle. How long is it before Motherwell and St Johnstone say "these guys are brittle, they'll just sit back?" It's happening already in the previous games against both these clubs. It's also telling to me that those three wins came in the first three (or four, can't remember) games of that run. Hibs, Celtic, Rangers and now some of the others are realising we will rarely take the game to them. And that is why I think next season will be a letdown. Humbug. :lol:

After all, we've finished 2nd in the league a whopping 4 times in the last 50 years, so there's real statistical evidence there to back up these claims we should be doing better under Robbie.

You honestly think, in the whole world, there is no one available and willing and affordable AND more suited than Robbie Neilson for the job. Seriously ??

Every single manager in the world has a boss, whether its an owner a CEO or a DOF. We are no different.

Attractive football isn't actually that difficult. Does anyone actually want ugly football ?

A title challenge is perfectly possible given the current state and position of the rivals in the league.

Of course we all want to watch Hearts playing great, open, attacking football but we don't have anywhere near the players who can deliver that...and it's like our whole League up here....no money to attract players of any substance....that's why I feel the Leicester mention is wrong....every club in the EPL have buckets of money.

CollyWolly

The clubs stated policy is also to sign young players with a sell on potential, yet we have had Cowie, Pallardo, Gomis, Augustyn, Alexander, and others, plus a couple of loan strikers, all starting regularly since they said it.

If a policy isn't working and is proven to be flawed, do you think we'll keep it anyway, just because that's what we said we'd do ?

socrates82

You honestly think, in the whole world, there is no one available and willing and affordable AND more suited than Robbie Neilson for the job. Seriously ??

Support Neilson by all means. Your entitled to that opinion and there is a good argument on both sides of the fence, but don't for gods sake pretend that he's the only viable option for the job. That's just silly.

I'm just wondering who? You must have someone in mind.

We've chopped and changed managers for years. A bit of stability and trying out something new, like bringing through young coaches is worth a try IMO.

If we can get the kind of year on year improvement like now even better.

Discussion about the style of play is a different thing. For as ling as I cam remember most Hearts games have been pretty dull to watch if I was a neutral. Because I'm not a neutral I enjoy every Hearts game.

julienbrellier

two defensive howlers lose us a meaningless game against the best side in Scotland and the Neilson out boys are back. Genuinely think this is mostly trolling from Hibs fans as I know around 500 or so Hearts fans none of whom are nothing but delighted as to the way things have gone the last couple of years.  

socrates82

Of course we all want to watch Hearts playing great, open, attacking football but we don't have anywhere near the players who can deliver that...and it's like our whole League up here....no money to attract players of any substance....that's why I feel the Leicester mention is wrong....every club in the EPL have buckets of money.

Yes, Leicester spent more than most clubs signing players this year and will be paying 30 grand a week to their players - maybe a third or quarter of what some man city players might be getting. The gap between what Celtic pay and what we pay is much bigger - 5 times as much at least.

Bazzas right boot

I go to the games myself, na pals.

However, next season one of my pals is going to go with me and get a ST,I gave him my ticket for Saturday as I was at that daft insomnia gaming thing with my son.

He's just text me to ask- is that how we always play, we seemed very defensive , then changed it and we were ok, pretty boring.

Don't want to put him off and say yes!

3rd is good, but if we want to continue to attract fans, we maybe aren't going the right way.

Watt-Zeefuik

The current setup, which is somewhat unique, is that Levein sets the overall philosophy, youth system, and player recruitment strategy, and the head coach manages the first team and game tactics.  The model is that managers will be brought along inside the club, promoted, then wished well as they hopefully succeed and move on to bigger jobs.  That's the model Levein has installed -- it is not to go hunting for the best manager willing to do the job for a wage, because Levein believes that this leads to "lost years" every time the manager turns over and the new one wants to play a new style.

Do you think this is a good system and perhaps Neilson just the wrong man in the job, or that the system should be scrapped and we should go back to broad manager-hunting?

As to Leicester, Vardy and Drinkwater have gotten regular playing time at the club since 2012.  Aberdeen's core has been together for three years now.  We're still rebuilding our core, which is the biggest reason we weren't in position to take advantage of Celtic's weakness and challenge for the title this year.

CollyWolly

We're not in the EPL. A team that cost ?20 million or so to assemble just kicked the arses of teams that cost getting on for 10 times that and more. This is proof that a lower budget need not be a barrier to challenging for the league and/or actually wining it.

Yeah, three points are three points but fans get up for the big games surely? Also, his performance in those games is indicative - when we play a team who press us and believe they can beat us we struggle. How long is it before Motherwell and St Johnstone say "these guys are brittle, they'll just sit back?" It's happening already in the previous games against both these clubs. It's also telling to me that those three wins came in the first three (or four, can't remember) games of that run. Hibs, Celtic, Rangers and now some of the others are realising we will rarely take the game to them. And that is why I think next season will be a letdown. Humbug. :lol:

I would say the St Johnstone was the most disappointed i've been leaving Tynecastle this season.

I have my own opinions on how we should be progressing but we have achieved third....the management would need to be numpties to not see there are dissenting voices...so i'll see if we...sorry, they...do something about it. 

We have nothing to fear from anyone next season...if we start as we did this season we will see the winning the League threads back.

Buffalo Bill

I think we've been rather average this season. There's much to improve on but I'm hopeful the summer transfer activity will sort that.

As you were.

I would say the St Johnstone was the most disappointed i've been leaving Tynecastle this season.

I have my own opinions on how we should be progressing but we have achieved third....the management would need to be numpties to not see there are dissenting voices...so i'll see if we...sorry, they...do something about it. 

We have nothing to fear from anyone next season...if we start as we did this season we will see the winning the League threads back.

Levein will not give a toss about any dissenting voices.

You are missing the point that most people are trying to make about the way we are being made to play under Levein and Neilson. Everybody knows the almost liquidated scenario etc and I don't think anyone is trying to take away that achievement from the staff at Hearts from top to bottom they have all done a great job in this.

The point is that if ever there was a season to make a real challenge at the top then it was this season with probably one of the weakest Celtic teams for years and an Aberdeen team that was really no better than us yet we seem satisfied to be third.

There is no doubt that is a wonderful achievement but it could have been so much better with the right attitude on and off the pitch and with the tactics Robbie showed in the cup game against Aberdeen at Tynecastle.

We have had almost total sell outs for our home league games but that will not continue with this negative attitude from the Coaches and players with our attitude we will always be second or third best over a whole season.

Robbie should be demanding wins from our players and if nothing else setting out his team to have a go at Celtic when we know we are guaranteed third place he starts frightened to lose and then once we go a goal down he changes things and to add insult to injury claims that we played well.

There were too many passengers on the pitch and I can't believe the lack of effort from some of them they did not seem bothered that Celtic could win the league by beating us they don't have the Rangers and Celtic mindset where they think they are always going to win.

Nailed it.

CollyWolly

I'm just wondering who? You must have someone in mind.

NO NOT REALLY. IF THE JOB BECAME AVAILABLE THERE WOULD BE DOZENS OF BETTER QUALIFIED APPLICANTS THAN THE HEAD COACH WE CURRENTLY HAVE.

We've chopped and changed managers for years. A bit of stability and trying out something new, like bringing through young coaches is worth a try IMO.

I DONT WANT TO SEE HEARTS ENGAGING IN SOME GUINEA PIG EXPERIMENTS THAT DONT MAXIMISE OUR POTENTIAL

If we can get the kind of year on year improvement like now even better.

CORRECT . NO ARGUMENT THERE. IMPROVE NEXT YEAR AND HE'S NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. DEFINE 'IMPROVEMENT'

Discussion about the style of play is a different thing. For as ling as I cam remember most Hearts games have been pretty dull to watch if I was a neutral. Because I'm not a neutral I enjoy every Hearts game.

IS DULL IS ACCEPTABLE TO YOU AND IS IT THE NORM ? YOU ENJOY EVERY HEARTS GAME ? REALLY ?

Levein will not give a toss about any dissenting voices.

And neither he should with the progress that's been made this season.

We're not in the EPL. A team that cost ?20 million or so to assemble just kicked the arses of teams that cost getting on for 10 times that and more. This is proof that a lower budget need not be a barrier to challenging for the league and/or actually wining it.

I agree and believe we are on course to be in a position to challenge for major honours in Scotland.

I, like many, are prepared to give it time. 

JamboJohn1874

It is also the stated policy that we have a five year plan to work wonders. The reality is however, this is just a PR exercise to placate the support and keep FOH contributions flowing for the next few years in case we start to go backwards, like now.

I for one do not wish to see us drop any more points due to a new inexperienced or incompetent manager. And quite frankly we don't need to. The only reason we have had the last two managers without experience is because we were broke.

We are the third biggest club in Scotland with FOH contributions raking in a fortune. There is absolutely no reason to accept second best.

Unlike many here, I don't think Levein is responsible for the style of play and general running of the football team and woukd be quite happy to see him continue with whatever he does. Some of his signings have been excellent.

Its clear from this thread however that a huge number of people think change is required in the management for next season. If replicated out across the wider support, it is a serious body of people would like change.

And neither he should with the progress that's been made this season.

If that transfers to people not turning up, then he, and all of us, should take heed.

Hopefully, we will have a great season and all the seethe will turn to Loyalty Point threads !

two defensive howlers lose us a meaningless game against the best side in Scotland and the Neilson out boys are back. Genuinely think this is mostly trolling from Hibs fans as I know around 500 or so Hearts fans none of whom are nothing but delighted as to the way things have gone the last couple of years.  

With respect that is absolute bollox mate.

As I have said before, walking along the Wheatfield concourse after the Celtic game all you could hear was Hearts fans having a right pop at Neilson's tactics - same in the pub crowded with fans.

I am sure (like me) your 500 pals are all delighted with Budge, FoH, new stand, etc, but if you are trying to tell me they are all delighted with the industrial negative football on display I think you are pushing it!

socrates82

Not even close. Only two teams spent over double what Leicester did - newcastle and man city - never mind 10 times as much.

By the way we don't need to look at Leicester for an example of a team with a tiny budget surprising everyone and taking the league by storm.

socrates82

As I have said before, walking along the Wheatfield concourse after the Celtic game all you could hear was Hearts fans having a right pop at Neilson's tactics - same in the pub crowded with fans.

I am sure (like me) your 500 pals are all delighted with Budge, FoH, new stand, etc, but if you are trying to tell me they are all delighted with the industrial negative football on display I think you are pushing it!

If you're right crowds will decline.

socrates82

I think we've been rather average this season. There's much to improve on but I'm hopeful the summer transfer activity will sort that.

As you were.

This is where I'm at - although in the context of where we were two years ago and some of the last few seasons I think it's above average - which is why I can't understand the overreaction. 

Interested to know if any of the folk saying we should be getting at teams and playing more open football (which I would like to see as well if I thought we had the right strikers and midfielders right now) have considered that if Robbie had done that we may have finished lower down the league.

The question is - would you sacrifice 3rd and Europe for 4th and better football? 3rd and Europe for me every time. Of course it's possible to finish high up the league and play great football, but if you've been following Hearts for as long as some of us you'd know how hard that is. Expecting a rookie manager to do it in his second season is pretty full on!

You are not getting the point. We obviously don't have the strength in depth that they have but that was not what I was getting at it was more relating to the lack of fight against them and the poor tactics against the better teams.

We have shown at times that we can be really good when we play the high tempo pressing game but we don't do it often enough. We don't have the player budget that Celtic have of course even with sellouts every week we never will have but we could have pushed them and Aberdeen playing the right type of game and using our best players in their proper positions.

Currahee!

There is one guy in particular in section N just along from me who moans and shouts about our tactics at every game.

He has been told to can it a few times by folks around him.

He is a slavering erse. Wonder if he flies a plane.

That the guy you pointed out to me?

JamboJohn1874

You are not getting the point. We obviously don't have the strength in depth that they have but that was not what I was getting at it was more relating to the lack of fight against them and the poor tactics against the better teams.

We have shown at times that we can be really good when we play the high tempo pressing game but we don't do it often enough. We don't have the player budget that Celtic have of course even with sellouts every week we never will have but we could have pushed them and Aberdeen playing the right type of game and using our best players in their proper positions.

This is exactly my take as well. It's quite clear when the team is setup with the correct mindset and formation, that we at a match for anyone.

In away games you would have thought we were worrying about relegation rather than titles.

Apathy is the enemy and will affect season tickets and possibly even FOH contributions unless nipped in the bud quickly.

Time for bold moves and for the good of the club, Neilson out...

Seymour M Hersh

I bet Alex Ferguson is glad there was not inter web when he was struggling at Manure.

CollyWolly

I bet Alex Ferguson is glad there was not inter web when he was struggling at Manure.

Aye there's a fair comparison to be made between Neilson and Ferguson right enough.

Rudolf's Mate

According to some, these comments can only come from hibs trolling on here :vrface:

JamboJohn1874

According to some, these comments can only come from hibs trolling on here :vrface:

Your bang on here.

I really wouldn't mind so much if many of the Neilson apologists had actually gone to some of the away games this season. Eye bleeding pain, game after game and we only have a go, once we go behind.

Neilson must go...

See when we first met almost 30 years ago?  I was just pretending to be a Hearts supporter.

It was the first step in my hoboplan to infultrate a Hearts website nearly 30 years in the future (even though the internet didn't exist back then).

I'm a fecking genius me.

Archived