summer targets Ins/outs

kimosavi

Watt-Zeefuik

Wishful thinking, according to Robbie he only needs 3 to 4 signings. Not quite sure why he thinks this especially if you consider that we are losing Pallardo, probably Gomis and possibly Augustyn. We have let some of the under 20's go who were on the fringes of the first team so to me we need at least 6 players.

By Robbie's own admission we had one of the smallest squads in the league and if we are losing 3 players he needs to sign another 3 just to stay as we are. Come on Robbie waken up man we need more than 3 or 4 .

My guess is he's factoring in additional game time for Beith, Zanatta, and Smith in the future.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jamboscanbevicius

My guess is he's factoring in additional game time for Beith, Zanatta, and Smith in the future.

I imagine (and hope) that he is. The latter two have both looked more than competent this season when thrown in.

Although Robbie is saying 4, I am sure the total recruitment will depend on outgoings too. E.g. if we lose McGhee he would need to be replaced.

For me we really need a LB and a quality striker.

Then depending what happens with Hamilton, McGhee, Gomis, and King we may need a GK, CB, CM and wide midfeilder.

2 strikers

1 Left midfielder

1 Attacking midfielder

1 Left back

1 GK

That's what I'm hoping for. Probably get 2 defensive midfielders instead.

Assuming nobody leaves other than those we expect to we will have, as first picks Alexander, Paterson, Ozturk, Souttar, Rossi, Walker, Djoum, Kitchen and Nicholson. That's 9 players who most of us would agree we'd like to see starting every week. On top of that we have Oshaniwa, Buaben, Cowie, Reilly and Juanma along with Smith, Zanatta and Beith who have been identified as playing a 'first team' role next season. Four players should, in theory, be plenty assuming they are of a decent quality. A versatile defender able to play across the back, a playmaker, a striker and a back-up goalie (assuming Hamilton goes on loan somewhere).

Would anyone be screaming out that we need more than 4 players if, for example, 3 of those players were Allan, Hemmings and Mulgrew? (not that I'm suggesting that we'll sign any of them, just trying to make the point that the 3 players mentioned would make us a very good side)

As I've said before I see no point in bringing in 6 or 7 players to fill squad places so the key, for me, will be getting players who will improve the team. If they're good enough to displace any of the 9 'first picks', so much the better.

2 strikers

1 Left midfielder

1 Attacking midfielder

1 Left back

1 GK

Agree with this assessment.

LarrysRightFoot

Our style of play and shape is still being formed and developed.

I would RN and CL know how they would like us to shape up next season and the style/tactics we will adopt and our recruitment strategy will be based on this.

Assuming nobody leaves the spine of the team is almost there apart from our number 9

Alexander (by all accounts looks to no.1 for another season)

Paterson

Souttar

Ozturk

Kitchen

Djoum

Walker

Now Oshaniwa and Nicholson may step up but if they don't we will need 4 quality signings that fit the profile and are able to play the game RN and CL want us to play.

We are obviously looking for athletes which is good and personally I would like to more pace injected into the team.

Bowmans_Boot

I would RN and CL know how they would like us to shape up next season and the style/tactics we will adopt and our recruitment strategy will be based on this.

Assuming nobody leaves the spine of the team is almost there apart from our number 9

Paterson

Souttar

Ozturk

Kitchen

Djoum

Walker

Now Oshaniwa and Nicholson may step up but if they don't we will need 4 quality signings that fit the profile and are able to play the game RN and CL want us to play.

We are obviously looking for athletes which is good and personally I would like to more pace injected into the team.

I would add Rossi, Nicholson & Juanma to the "first pick" category and would be very, very disappointed if the management team believe they can mount any kind of challenge to anything at all with Alexander first choice. 

Oshaniwa? When will people realise that he will not "step up", he is awful, has been, is and will be a complete waste of money and effort. An awful, awful signing. 

LarrysRightFoot

I would add Rossi, Nicholson & Juanma to the "first pick" category and would be very, very disappointed if the management team believe they can mount any kind of challenge to anything at all with Alexander first choice.

Oshaniwa? When will people realise that he will not "step up", he is awful, has been, is and will be a complete waste of money and effort. An awful, awful signing.

My bad re Rossi - I would agree with you there. Although he is not a left back so who do you drop from the centre of defence?

Either way we are sorted at the back apart from LB. Which is where Oshaniwa comes in.

Personally Im not quite ready to write off Oshaniwa but we will see I just think he has some raw attributes there.

I think Sam is a potential first pick if he kicks on in the way Jamie has - there's no doubt he has the potential - we all hope he does. But the ball is in his court. Personally I think we may bring in a winger but again we will see.

Re Jaunma it depends on our formation/shape/tactics if he will be our first pick number 9. I think Jamie will play as a 10 (his natural position IMO) but will he play off one striker or 2?

IMO it's more likely he will play off a lone front man and we will look for Djoum, Nicholson/new winger and a new number 8 style player to support the striker.

Watt-Zeefuik

Paterson

Souttar

Ozturk

Kitchen

Djoum

Walker

I think Levein and Neilson both want to play three at the back surrounded by wingbacks that bomb forward.  We haven't been able to settle into that yet, but I think it may come out in force next season.

Which, on the whole, makes me start to wonder if for matches when we go four at the back, Rossi will continue to be the LB of choice.

Walker has been run out more and more at the #10 recently in a top two, although he's also been good as the high mid in a 4-2-3-1.  Djoum can also play up there, but it looks like Neilson's moving him more into Buaben's old role next to Kitchen.  (I think Buaben will still feature regularly but will see a bit less time.)  So we either need an attacking mid to sit behind Walker, or a #10 to play in front of him, or someone who's a Walker clone to do both.

And we need a 25 goal striker, of course.

TBF

It's not been that enjoyable watching Nicholson (who I think is a tremendous player) going through the motions for the last couple of months

Agree. I don't think 'the style' has anything to do with it. He looks to have lost confidence when it comes to taking on full backs. Whether King is any good or not is a different debate but he certainly would've been able to come in and give Nicholson a rest and/or pushed him for his place in recent weeks.

Bazzas right boot

Where are you getting the Oshaniwa is a very good player thing. He has been well and truly rank all season.

El-Hass didn't show any potential whatsoever and is so bad, folk on here still remember him with a single pass, not goals, not 90 minutes of total football, a pass!

I remember his first goal, turn and shot from 20 yards, it was a sweetie!

Shame he's a walking injury.

Assuming nobody leaves other than those we expect to we will have, as first picks Alexander, Paterson, Ozturk, Souttar, Rossi, Walker, Djoum, Kitchen and Nicholson. That's 9 players who most of us would agree we'd like to see starting every week. On top of that we have Oshaniwa, Buaben, Cowie, Reilly and Juanma along with Smith, Zanatta and Beith who have been identified as playing a 'first team' role next season. Four players should, in theory, be plenty assuming they are of a decent quality. A versatile defender able to play across the back, a playmaker, a striker and a back-up goalie (assuming Hamilton goes on loan somewhere).

Would anyone be screaming out that we need more than 4 players if, for example, 3 of those players were Allan, Hemmings and Mulgrew? (not that I'm suggesting that we'll sign any of them, just trying to make the point that the 3 players mentioned would make us a very good side)

As I've said before I see no point in bringing in 6 or 7 players to fill squad places so the key, for me, will be getting players who will improve the team. If they're good enough to displace any of the 9 'first picks', so much the better.

Good summary

Hopefully as well this season's signings will do better. Getting more out of Jaunma, Reilly, Oshaniwa, Cowie even Djoum and perhaps Augustyn if he stays adds more to the quality of the squad.

Your assessment of what we need seems to be what a lot of fans see.

Paterson

Souttar

Ozturk

Kitchen

Djoum

Walker

A pretty good summary of what we need although the jury is still out as to whether we actually get the right type of players, hopefully we do.

I have said on other posts that we need more than three or four players and I said that because over a long hard season we get lots of suspensions and injuries and if you don't have a big enough talented squad you end up doing as we have done this season by playing players out of position.

This ultimately leads to dropping points as we have done this season against teams we should have beaten. If you have a decent sized squad it generates competition for places which is only a good thing this along with some of the younger players vying for a starting place is all good for the team and the fans.

I have been impressed with players such as Rossi this year but he is not a left back and adds nothing to us as an attacking force so we need a genuine left back and Oshaniwa might step up and prove the doubters wrong (in which I include myself) but he needs to be pushed.

We really need two decent strikers and a goalkeeper that's before we even talk about Nicholson who in my opinion has gone backwards this season and I can't see Billy King being any better if and when he returns from Rangers, they both flatter to deceive.

jamboinglasgow

Paterson

Souttar

Ozturk

Kitchen

Djoum

Walker

I do think that is the spine (though still think Paterson will be off in the summer, though Smith will replace him.)

I also think Oshaniwa will be better next season, and if Nicholson can get back to his attacking ways from earlier in the season (he won us quite a few penalties) then he will be a key player.

I agree about 4 quality signings and we will have the squad we want. Robbie wants Beith, Buchanan, Zanatta and Smith to step up next season so that will add to the squad. A new goalkeeper, a new striker, a new winger and I would say competition for left back is what we will sign (plus some u20 signings.)

Though find it interesting how quiet the rumour mill is at the moment in relation to Hearts. 

I do think that is the spine (though still think Paterson will be off in the summer, though Smith will replace him.)

I also think Oshaniwa will be better next season, and if Nicholson can get back to his attacking ways from earlier in the season (he won us quite a few penalties) then he will be a key player.

I agree about 4 quality signings and we will have the squad we want. Robbie wants Beith, Buchanan, Zanatta and Smith to step up next season so that will add to the squad. A new goalkeeper, a new striker, a new winger and I would say competition for left back is what we will sign (plus some u20 signings.)

Though find it interesting how quiet the rumour mill is at the moment in relation to Hearts. 

The rumour mill is quite because we are looking for players from abroad mainly.

Any players we go after will need to buy into the double session ethos. I would imagine that restricts the availability - or suggests that it's the norm in europe and why we are looking there.

However, don't be surprised if a Dundee Utd player is signed.

mellors1874

Hearts need a new lb as oshinawa is mince

We also need a striker with pace to burn and a penalty box type striker as we only have two forwards at the moment

A box to box midfielder and that would do nicely

Any players we go after will need to buy into the double session ethos. I would imagine that restricts the availability - or suggests that it's the norm in europe and why we are looking there.

However, don't be surprised if a Dundee Utd player is signed.

It's actually triple sessions and don't be fooled that all our players are buying into the 3rd voluntary session!!

KineticBeat

We need some more creativity in that midfield. If Walker isn't on it we don't seem to create many chances.

I think today confirms we need to upgrade our wingers and our LB at minimum.

Some one who will try and beat his man and whip in a cross would be lovely.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

We need some more creativity in that midfield. If Walker isn't on it we don't seem to create many chances.

I think today confirms we need to upgrade our wingers and our LB at minimum.

Some one who will try and beat his man and whip in a cross would be lovely.

Add to that a Goalkeeper and two strikers and you are closer to the mark so that makes 6.

KineticBeat

Add to that a Goalkeeper and two strikers and you are closer to the mark so that makes 6.

Yeah agreed that we need those too.

So based on today's performance who still thinks we only need 3/4 players?

Before today I reckoned we needed 6. Now I'm not sure that would be enough.

It's actually triple sessions and don't be fooled that all our players are buying into the 3rd voluntary session!!

Is it making any difference to our fitness and performances? Personally I just don't see us looking any fitter than any of the other teams and we make one hell of as lot of mistakes which cost us a load of goals.

So either the session are not working or the players are not delivering what they are taught in which case they are not good enough.

And before anyone says but we are third in the league we will have Rangers and possibly Hibs back in the SPFL next season and if we continue with those sort of performances then we will be struggling to make the top six.

Often teams that are promoted do well in their first season back after promotion but falter the following season which is what we have to be wary of.

Is it making any difference to our fitness and performances? Personally I just don't see us looking any fitter than any of the other teams and we make one hell of as lot of mistakes which cost us a load of goals.

So either the session are not working or the players are not delivering what they are taught in which case they are not good enough.

And before anyone says but we are third in the league we will have Rangers and possibly Hibs back in the SPFL next season and if we continue with those sort of performances then we will be struggling to make the top six.

Often teams that are promoted do well in their first season back after promotion but falter the following season which is what we have to be wary of.

I've seen no evidence that we train harder than other teams. We have better players than most teams so I'd expect with us apparently fitter to dominate games. Last week Motherwell looked fitter, sharper, hungrier, and frankly better than us.

Historically I'm pretty sure we usually have a shite league campaign when we are playing European games also?

I'm sure somebody will prove or disprove this.

So based on today's performance who still thinks we only need 3/4 players?

3/4 strikers alone, Dudargh is off, one way or another Reilly will go and 1 game in 8 isn't good enough from Jaunma.

Think we could actually do with a bit more proven experience in the team, particularly if we are dealing with Europe and trying to maintain/improve our league position.

Instead of looking for sellable assets go and get some dominant leaders, guys bringing fight and quality , helping the young players.

We've nabbed a few in the past. (And I'm not talking over 35s!)

Could see Reilly getting let go.

That wouldn't be too bright. Only penalty box player we've got. Done OK when played in his proper position. He ain't no winger!

Reilly deserves much better let's be honest . He was scoring during our best period this season . Man management at its worst , the lad must have his confidence at rock bottom all caused by our management team and DOF .apart from a few tapins Juanma been an imposter

I don't think we are too far away from competing could do with a new goalkeeper, left back and some pace on the wings and upfront. I would go for McGovern at Hamilton free transfer. If we could get them cheap enough Marvin Johnson, Greg Kiltie, Scott Fraser and Miles Storey would be decent additions

Tin hat on here - If Don Cowie is OK at 33, so is Scott McDonald of Motherwell. His experience, even for our first year in Europe would be invaluable.

Reilly deserves much better let's be honest . He was scoring during our best period this season . Man management at its worst , the lad must have his confidence at rock bottom all caused by our management team and DOF .apart from a few tapins Juanma been an imposter

Let's be honest if you were Reilly would you be happy sitting on the bench watching that or would you rather be away somewhere else getting game time?

Let's be honest if you were Reilly would you be happy sitting on the bench watching that or would you rather be away somewhere else getting game time?

The answer is No.

And if Reilly can't perform better than darling boy Walker did today we are in real trouble.  Absolute garbage and a waste of a jersey.

Futurejambo1

Reilly was asked to be patient and wait for his opportunity, he was dropped on the back of a MOTM performance and has had to watch regular poor displays from his striker colleagues and still not given a fair crack. Can't help but feel sorry for him he must be so frustrated !!

Jambof3tornado

If kitchen is the standard we are aiming for then great.

I hope we bring in 4 starters and and 3 who will push.

An experienced winger would be superb.

According to articles in the Czech Republic, we're interested in signing Czech international Borek Dockal on a free in the summer if he can't agree a new deal with current team slavia Prague.

Looks a good player. Attacking midfielder, 27 years old, 23 international caps. Hope there's some truth in it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1874robbo

According to articles in the Czech Republic, we're interested in signing Czech international Borek Dockal on a free in the summer if he can't agree a new deal with current team slavia Prague.

Looks a good player. Attacking midfielder, 27 years old, 23 international caps. Hope there's some truth in it

Attacking midfielder you say?????

That'll not be happening then.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Get Rudi on the blower to him. It's a done deal :2thumbsup:

:rofl: this will not happen.

And he's not praying

Attacking midfielder you say?????

That'll not be happening then.

Lol levein only signs defensive minded players who are 6ft plus lol

Lol

1874robbo

Lol

Does he?? Never noticed

HeartOfWestLothian

I would raid Dundee in the Summer, Hemmings, Stewart and Holt. 

All three have impressed me and they would surely kick on again playing for a team challenging for the league and being surrounded by better players. Also, with European football next season I would imagine they'd be keen. 

Financially I am not sure if all three would be possible though. 

Watt-Zeefuik

Lol

Djoum is crap, eh?

The Old Tolbooth

Personally don't want to see loads of players arriving. We need to start thinking about having a very good first team and start playing it, every week so that the players get used to playing together. Rather than sign 6 and find 3 of them can't play here or will take a season to settle I'd rather sign 3 who we know can play here. IMO we need a keeper, box to box mid and a penalty box striker.

Tell that to the tinkerman mate, I totally agree with you!

Reilly is 23 this month. Not one to be talking about potential. He's not a starting XI player for us challenging at the top. Hemmings and Stewart are. Moult is. Even May if he can get his form back.

Would be interested to see if Brentford would let McLeod go and for what price. Great prospect at Rangers and has been unlucky with a few knocks down south. Great goal threat from midfield.

Mallan at St Mirren. Hendrie from West Ham at LB. Ambitious list. But then saying league challengers next year is a bold statement.

TexasAndy

Anyone else heard that we are in for El Bahktoui?  Pars fan at work seems to think it's a definite goer.

The Future's Maroon

Anyone else heard that we are in for El Bahktoui?  Pars fan at work seems to think it's a definite goer.

It has been doing the rounds on here for a couple of weeks now.

Archived