summer targets Ins/outs

kimosavi

IveSeenTheLight

This isn't a dig. He is out of your budget by some considerable distance.

I would tend to agree.

If he was to come it would have been when you were in the Championship, but I don;t see it now unless Levein / Nielson believe he is not in your plans and want to create space in your squad.

You do seem to have a lot of first team midfielders

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IveSeenTheLight

So how does an Aberdeen fan know all the behind the scenes activity at HMFC pray tell I am sure many more Jambos like me are dying to know your source. Or is it just shite you have heard from a mate texting a mate etc?

As explained, it was from a Hearts fan (just prior to the game at Pittodrie) who apparently lived next to Nicholson's dad and had been told the story.

It was from when you just went down to the Championship, not now.

The rumour has resurfaced and I just relayed that we apparently had an interest before which appeared to have went some distance, not that I think it's plausible now.

IveSeenTheLight

You guys need a left back, we have one, world cup experience, only ?350k. Ono.

Bargain, even do a swap for shinnie, no fee and we pay the train fares?

LOL, we could do with a left back to let Shinnie play in midfield, else a strong midfielder and let Shinnie play at left back

We're (as fans) not interested in Oshiniwa though. 

In fairness, I'm really surprised that Shinnie is with us. He could play at a far higher level.

IveSeenTheLight

I'll call shite on this rumour as I know someone who knows him personally.

Just out of curiosity though, how much do you think you's would get him for ?

I'll say that the price we would be willing to let him go for Aberdeen could never match.

It may indeed be shite this time.

I don;t know where this came from recently.

Just articulated that it may have had some strength given we were apparently in for him before.

As for value, with one year left on his contract, I'd reckon Hearts would accept ?250k - ?500k for him, unless you can get a Chinese team to pay over ?1million with 4 months left, so you never know.

Aberdeen, might be willing to part with ?200k - ?300k, but I very much doubt this will happen with Nicholson to be honest

IveSeenTheLight

I am not in the know but I would be surprised in the extreme if Nicholson went to Aberdeen.

1. Aberdeen have nowhere near the required funds to finance a deal - I would expect it would be a fee of ?750k minimum. Would they sweeten it by offering a Ryan Jack - I doubt it.

2. I cannot see Sam wanting to do to Aberdeen. If he leaves he will want to go down south or abroad IMO - although its been rumoured Rangers are interested.

I agree, I don;t think it would come off

1. I think ?750k for Nicholson who will enter his last year may be aiming a bit high in my opinion. That said, Aberdeen do not have a good history in maximising the sell value of players.

2. I too think he would try down south, but at what level, I think he may be still to sleight for the Championship, so possibly looking at League 1. Lets hope he is not lured to Ibrokes

LarrysRightFoot

I agree, I don;t think it would come off

1. I think ?750k for Nicholson who will enter his last year may be aiming a bit high in my opinion. That said, Aberdeen do not have a good history in maximising the sell value of players.

To pick up in this. He will 22 when his contact is up so as long as we offer him a deal we will be entitled to a fee.

I think this summer that fee would be fair - I actually think to the right buyer we could get more.

I know we let Holt go for peanuts but I doubt we would be as generous again - especially when it came to a club we are directly competing against.

LOL, we could do with a left back to let Shinnie play in midfield, else a strong midfielder and let Shinnie play at left back

In fairness, I'm really surprised that Shinnie is with us. He could play at a far higher level.

He certainly didn't suggest that to me in the recent game at Tynecastle.  A couple of good moves in the first quarter of hour but beyond that he looked ordinary.

Malcolm Tucker

He certainly didn't suggest that to me in the recent game at Tynecastle. A couple of good moves in the first quarter of hour but beyond that he looked ordinary.

To be fair, I agree with our resident Dandy. Shinnie could easily be playing at a higher level and how he was omitted from the latest Scotland squad beggars all belief. Would stroll into any Scottish Premiership team apart from maybe Celtic, who seem to have found a gem in Tierney.

Watt-Zeefuik

I'd bite your hand off for Shinnie right now, particularly with us in need of a LB (we're set in midfield for now).

McGhee will be away, souttar seems light years ahead of him and he has never shown anything other than being a bog standard SPL defender.

Sure!

How many 'bog standard' SPL defenders are there who've played 30-40 games in the SPL before their 20th birthday and also captained the national U21 side ?

Hardly 'bog standard'. 

IMO Jordan will go on to have a very good career.

Oneneilberry

To pick up in this. He will 22 when his contact is up so as long as we offer him a deal we will be entitled to a fee.

I think this summer that fee would be fair - I actually think to the right buyer we could get more.

I know we let Holt go for peanuts but I doubt we would be as generous again - especially when it came to a club we are directly competing against.

How many times is this myth going to be peddled?

As explained, it was from a Hearts fan (just prior to the game at Pittodrie) who apparently lived next to Nicholson's dad and had been told the story.

It was from when you just went down to the Championship, not now.

The rumour has resurfaced and I just relayed that we apparently had an interest before which appeared to have went some distance, not that I think it's plausible now.

So was it was a neighbour of Nicholson's Dad who told you before a game at Pittodrie about Walker and Paterson? Oh well it must be true then!!!!

Bazzas right boot

I am not in the know but I would be surprised in the extreme if Nicholson went to Aberdeen.

1. Aberdeen have nowhere near the required funds to finance a deal - I would expect it would be a fee of ?750k minimum. Would they sweeten it by offering a Ryan Jack - I doubt it.

2. I cannot see Sam wanting to do to Aberdeen. If he leaves he will want to go down south or abroad IMO - although its been rumoured Rangers are interested.

If Nicholson is part of pur long term plans and he signs an extension your fee might be right, however I'll ho put on a limb and say around ?400k would be enough if he was interested.

Aberdeen to Hearts must be the most obvious sideways move in football, don't see any benefit for anyone, clubs or players.

Bazzas right boot

Sure!

How many 'bog standard' SPL defenders are there who've played 30-40 games in the SPL before their 20th birthday and also captained the national U21 side ?

Hardly 'bog standard'.

IMO Jordan will go on to have a very good career.

Opinions, he might do but I don't see it, end up at St Johnstone or the likrs. In a year or two.

750k for Nicholson :rofl: get a grip man, throw in Ryan Jack to sweeten the deal :cornette: i mean ffs we're all Hearts fans but let's look at things with a bit more reasonable thought, deary me.

LarrysRightFoot

How many times is this myth going to be peddled?

What myth?

We offered Holt a contract - he rejected. We then said we would not hold out a fee that would stop him getting a club.

We settled on something daft like ?50k?

This IMO was an error but Rangers weren't in the same league so not a direct rival at the time.

Their fans are now saying he should be in the Scotland squad - if this happens and he is part of a Rangers team that finishes 3rd next year do u think they would sell him for ?50k?

My point being I think we may not be so obliging when agreeing a fee next time (if there is one) especially to a direct rival.

LarrysRightFoot

750k for Nicholson :rofl: get a grip man, throw in Ryan Jack to sweeten the deal :cornette: i mean ffs we're all Hearts fans but let's look at things with a bit more reasonable thought, deary me.

You also probably laughed when Levein demanded a fee and Souttar from United for Wilson.

My point was I don't think we would strengthen one of our rivals unless we got a fee that weakened then or strengthen us.

Or weakened their team by taking one of their best players.

You also probably laughed when Levein demanded a fee and Souttar from United for Wilson.

My point was I don't think we would strengthen one of our rivals unless we got a fee that weakened then or strengthen us.

Or weakened their team by taking one of their best players.

Wouldn't worry me one bit if we gave them Nicholson tbh, i don't think he's a player that would really strengthen them, if we got a reasonable bit of cash for him I'd happily send him up there as long as the money was then spent wisely, which so far I'm not convinced it would be. I've lost confidence in Levein and Neilson in the transfer market, this summer will be crucial.

We_are_the_Hearts

Wouldn't worry me one bit if we gave them Nicholson tbh, i don't think he's a player that would really strengthen them, if we got a reasonable bit of cash for him I'd happily send him up there as long as the money was then spent wisely, which so far I'm not convinced it would be. I've lost confidence in Levein and Neilson in the transfer market, this summer will be crucial.

Yeah Djoum, Souttar and Kitchen have been terrible signings recently.

I was thinking more about the 3 year deals handed out to Cowie, Oshaniwa and El Hass then you get on to Dauda, Anderson, Augustyn, Reilly then you get on to farming King out on loan and disposing of Holt. Obviously you'll get a a few hits if you sign enough players but far too many misses, they need to get some proper scouting done.

We_are_the_Hearts

I was thinking more about the 3 year deals handed out to Cowie, Oshaniwa and El Hass then you get on to Dauda, Anderson, Augustyn, Reilly then you get on to farming King out on loan and disposing of Holt. Obviously you'll get a a few hits if you sign enough players but far too many misses, they need to get some proper scouting done.

Cowie will be a good player for us, can take that to the bank. If you are going back as far as El Hass then you also have Ozturk, Gomis, Buaben, Sow, Zeefuik, Rossi, Alexander as hits to add to Djoum, Souttar and Kitchen. Walker has also came on leaps and bounds with the new training regime. King has had more opportunities than most to tie a starting place down but after looking good as an impacty sub would be anonymous when getting a start. Holt was offered a new contract but wanted to play every week. Has still to do it consistently at the top level. EL Hass and Anderson have been the only shockers while Oshinawa could also be but looked a lot better at Celtic Park as a wing back.

When you're at the lower end of the market you simply have to take risks with fitness and consistency if you are looking for a bit of quality.  Throw in the foreigner needing settling-in time and you find that taking risks is inevitable.  It happens at the top end of the market too as Manure will verify with the likes of Depay.

upgotheheads

Cowie has been signed for a realtively modest amount and for more than just his (considerable) footballing ability.

Oshaniwa is a very good player who will prove his worth.

Reilly; ditto.

Augustyn is a squad player who is value for money

King is still a Hearts player who might still fulfill his potential.

For the rest, Dauda is a loan player, Anderson cost pennies (relatively speaking) El Hass had potential but it looks as if he won't recover from his injuries, bad luck for him and us, and as for Jason Holt -  don't believe everything you read in the Weegie press. Just like when he played for us he does some good things but for the most part he is anonymous and wouldn't get a regular start at Hearts.

Not such a bad record for signings really.

Cowie will be a good player for us, can take that to the bank. If you are going back as far as El Hass then you also have Ozturk, Gomis, Buaben, Sow, Zeefuik, Rossi, Alexander as hits to add to Djoum, Souttar and Kitchen. Walker has also came on leaps and bounds with the new training regime. King has had more opportunities than most to tie a starting place down but after looking good as an impacty sub would be anonymous when getting a start. Holt was offered a new contract but wanted to play every week. Has still to do it consistently at the top level. EL Hass and Anderson have been the only shockers while Oshinawa could also be but looked a lot better at Celtic Park as a wing back.

Folk keep saying "Cowie will be a good player for us" that's just speculation, i think he'll be a very average non dynamic midfielder that's lost his legs, personally. Since coming up i think we've done relatively poor dealings in the transfer market, must do better is my opinion on it. btw Oshaniwa has been a shocker of a signing.

Cowie has been signed for a realtively modest amount and for more than just his (considerable) footballing ability.

Reilly; ditto.

For the rest, Dauda is a loan player, Anderson cost pennies (relatively speaking) El Hass had potential but it looks as if he won't recover from his injuries, bad luck for him and us, and as for Jason Holt - don't believe everything you read in the Weegie press. Just like when he played for us he does some good things but for the most part he is anonymous and wouldn't get a regular start at Hearts.

Sorry mate but if there's one thing that gets on my tits it's when folk say "don't believe what you read in the press" i barely read newspapers, every opinion i give if 100% my own.

Holt would get a start for us, we've been crying out for a midfielder who can get into the box and support the striker(s).

We_are_the_Hearts

Folk keep saying "Cowie will be a good player for us" that's just speculation, i think he'll be a very average non dynamic midfielder that's lost his legs, personally. Since coming up i think we've done relatively poor dealings in the transfer market, must do better is my opinion on it. btw Oshaniwa has been a shocker of a signing.

Rossi, Souttar, Djoum and Kitchen will be 4 big players for us so personally that's a decent return since we came up in my opinion. Juanma has also shown glimpses. Cowie was outstanding against Partick and covered every blade that day. His niggly injuries are a worry but reckon a good pre-season here will sort that. 

Cowie getting a lot of props from Smith today in the EEN for his positive influence behind the scenes and benefits he brings to the young lads in training.

Jambof3tornado

Cowie getting a lot of props from Smith today in the EEN for his positive influence behind the scenes and benefits he brings to the young lads in training.

I think Cowie was brought in for more than just his playing abilities and the club sees him in a future coaching role. Wouldn't come as a shock to read soon that he's doing some of his badges.

I would rank our signings as follows (I'm making a snap judgement about some of our more recent arrivals):

Very good:

Djoum

Sow

Rossi

Zeefuik

Ozturk

Souttar

Good:

Buaben

Gomis

Eckersley

Pallardo (based on season 1)

Juanma

Kitchen

Alexander

Average:

Augustyn - he's had a few shaky games but he's been solid most of the time.

Reilly - not signed to be the main striker (certainly not this season) so it's unreasonable to judge the signing on that basis.

Cowie - I think he's quite good but 2.5 years is questionable, remains to be seen.

Gallacher

Poor:

Oshaniwa

Dauda

El Hassnaoui

Swanson

Anderson

So far I make it 13 good/very good signings, 4 average and 5 poor, although I've probably missed someone out. That's a really good hit-rate imo. For a club of our size, we're always going to have to take risks and you inevitably get the odd poor signing - Amnesiac has it backwards when he says we've signed the odd good one but mostly done poorly. I also find it strange for him suggest that not enough is being done to scout players when I get the impression that the management work particularly hard in the transfer market and try to make best use of the resources available to them. There's limited opportunity to scout players like Dauda in the flesh, for example, given that he wasn't getting a game.

We_are_the_Hearts

I would rank our signings as follows (I'm making a snap judgement about some of our more recent arrivals):

Very good:

Djoum

Sow

Rossi

Zeefuik

Ozturk

Souttar

Good:

Buaben

Gomis

Eckersley

Juanma

Kitchen

Average:

Reilly - not signed to be the main striker (certainly not this season) so it's unreasonable to judge the signing on that basis.

Cowie - I think he's quite good but 2.5 years is questionable, remains to be seen.

Poor:

Oshaniwa

Dauda

El Hassnaoui

Swanson

Anderson

So far I make it 12 good/very good signings, 3 average and 5 poor, although I've probably missed someone out. That's a really good hit-rate imo. For a club of our size, we're always going to have to take risks and you inevitably get the odd poor signing - Amnesiac has it backwards when he says we've signed the odd good one but mostly done poorly. I also find it strange for him suggest that not enough is being done to scout players when I get the impression that the management work particularly hard in the transfer market and try to make best use of the resources available to them. There's limited opportunity to scout players like Dauda in the flesh, for example, given that he wasn't getting a game.

Alexander for the good category.

As for Holt, he wanted to leave so I'm not sure there's much we could have done. To be honest I'm not really that upset about losing a guy who's subsequently scored 9 goals and produced 4 assists for a dominant Championship team. If he'd done it at Falkirk or someone no one would have batted an eye-lid.

King would be handy to have around because we look light in his part of the pitch now. Again, though, it was him angling for a move away. I wouldn't be especially disappointed if he left in the summer as I think we can sign better.

Very good:

Djoum

Sow

Rossi

Zeefuik

Ozturk

Souttar

Good:

Buaben

Gomis

Eckersley

Juanma

Kitchen

Alexander

Average:

Gallacher

Poor:

Oshaniwa

Dauda

El Hassnaoui

Swanson

Anderson

So far I make it 13 good/very good signings, 4 average and 5 poor, although I've probably missed someone out. That's a really good hit-rate imo. For a club of our size, we're always going to have to take risks and you inevitably get the odd poor signing - Amnesiac has it backwards when he says we've signed the odd good one but mostly done poorly. I also find it strange for him suggest that not enough is being done to scout players when I get the impression that the management work particularly hard in the transfer market and try to make best use of the resources available to them. There's limited opportunity to scout players like Dauda in the flesh, for example, given that he wasn't getting a game.

Can't really argue with your assessment. Kitchen may move into the very good and hopefully Oshaniwa might move into the good otherwise bang on.

Personally don't want to see loads of players arriving. We need to start thinking about having a very good first team and start playing it, every week so that the players get used to playing together. Rather than sign 6 and find 3 of them can't play here or will take a season to settle I'd rather sign 3 who we know can play here. IMO we need a keeper, box to box mid and a penalty box striker.

Personally don't want to see loads of players arriving. We need to start thinking about having a very good first team and start playing it, every week so that the players get used to playing together. Rather than sign 6 and find 3 of them can't play here or will take a season to settle I'd rather sign 3 who we know can play here. IMO we need a keeper, box to box mid and a penalty box striker.

Ah, common sense. That will never catch on.

Of course the number of arrivals will also have to depend on the number of departures we have. Assuming Dauda, Pallardo and Augustyn will not be here next season we'll also have to replace them but the bottom line is we're not that far short of having a very good squad and there's no point in signing half a dozen players if it stifles the development of Smith, Zanatta, Beith and others

Houston said on Sportsound that St Johnstone had told him they were discussing a pre contract with Alston back in January- but not heard anything further.

After watching the Sheep game and realising it was Augustyn who lost Church for the opener I would be surprised if he stays.

Everyone knows we are short a LB.

Think a lot depends on what bids are received, can see Sevco chancing their arm with the usual Daily Record "dream move" headlines!

Cowie is the ultimate role model for all the younger players at hearts and you can take that as fact.

He's also a very decent player.

OmiyaHearts

I think Cowie was brought in for more than just his playing abilities and the club sees him in a future coaching role. Wouldn't come as a shock to read soon that he's doing some of his badges.

Lets hope so because he's hardly done anything in a maroon jersey that makes me think he's been a good signing.

JamboJohn1874

Reilly; ditto.

For the rest, Dauda is a loan player, Anderson cost pennies (relatively speaking) El Hass had potential but it looks as if he won't recover from his injuries, bad luck for him and us, and as for Jason Holt - don't believe everything you read in the Weegie press. Just like when he played for us he does some good things but for the most part he is anonymous and wouldn't get a regular start at Hearts.

Where are you getting the Oshaniwa is a very good player thing. He has been well and truly rank all season.

El-Hass didn't show any potential whatsoever and is so bad, folk on here still remember him with a single pass, not goals, not 90 minutes of total football, a pass!

jamboinglasgow

Cowie is the ultimate role model for all the younger players at hearts and you can take that as fact.

He's also a very decent player.

Exactly, signing him was not just what he brings to the pitch in terms of ability.

Gigolo-Aunt

Exactly, signing him was not just what he brings to the pitch in terms of ability.

3 year contract though?

No squad players required this summer. We should be looking to sign players we expect to be better than what we have and regular starters. Our squad is in good shape but there's obvious areas where we need more quality.

I would like two strikers, a right winger, a left back and a goalkeeper.

Let go Pallardo, Augustyn, Gomis, Dauda and Hamilton on loan.

No squad players required this summer. We should be looking to sign players we expect to be better than what we have and regular starters. Our squad is in good shape but there's obvious areas where we need more quality.

I would like two strikers, a right winger, a left back and a goalkeeper.

Let go Pallardo, Augustyn, Gomis, Dauda and Hamilton on loan.

Wishful thinking, according to Robbie he only needs 3 to 4 signings. Not quite sure why he thinks this especially if you consider that we are losing Pallardo, probably Gomis and possibly Augustyn. We have let some of the under 20's go who were on the fringes of the first team so to me we need at least 6 players.

By Robbie's own admission we had one of the smallest squads in the league and if we are losing 3 players he needs to sign another 3 just to stay as we are. Come on Robbie waken up man we need more than 3 or 4 .

Wishful thinking, according to Robbie he only needs 3 to 4 signings. Not quite sure why he thinks this especially if you consider that we are losing Pallardo, probably Gomis and possibly Augustyn. We have let some of the under 20's go who were on the fringes of the first team so to me we need at least 6 players.

By Robbie's own admission we had one of the smallest squads in the league and if we are losing 3 players he needs to sign another 3 just to stay as we are. Come on Robbie waken up man we need more than 3 or 4 .

He underestimates, probably on purpose, the number of players we sign each window.

If agents think we are restricted in the business we will do but a player is keen to come to us no doubt it helps negotiations if they think we won't be signing many.

Why?

What we need are 3 or 4 'first picks' and that's what I think Robbie is meaning.

There would be no point in signing half a dozen players just to give us a bigger squad as that

(1) Won't make us any better and

(2) Will do nothing for the development of guys like Smith, Zanatta and Beith by limiting their opportunities in the first team.

On Nicholson to Aberdeen, the bulk of what's been said on this thread is true from what I've heard. I've heard at the moment he's not enjoying playing for us as much as he use to. The playing style is frustrating a few players and Sam is one of them. Not sure he's looking to leave this summer though.

I'm not one to slate Robbie and Craig as what they've done for us has been magnificent. I wouldn't get rid of either of them. But we must remember the players are human beings, not robots, and it can't have been the most enjoyable thing playing the way we've played in some games this season.

The Treasurer

On Nicholson to Aberdeen, the bulk of what's been said on this thread is true from what I've heard. I've heard at the moment he's not enjoying playing for us as much as he use to. The playing style is frustrating a few players and Sam is one of them. Not sure he's looking to leave this summer though.

I'm not one to slate Robbie and Craig as what they've done for us has been magnificent. I wouldn't get rid of either of them. But we must remember the players are human beings, not robots, and it can't have been the most enjoyable thing playing the way we've played in some games this season.

TBF  

It's not been that enjoyable watching Nicholson (who I think is a tremendous player) going through the motions for the last couple of months

Why?

What we need are 3 or 4 'first picks' and that's what I think Robbie is meaning.

There would be no point in signing half a dozen players just to give us a bigger squad as that

(1) Won't make us any better and

(2) Will do nothing for the development of guys like Smith, Zanatta and Beith by limiting their opportunities in the first team.

We have one recognised striker at the club and none that I am aware of that are pushing from the under 20's. Some might class Reilly as a striker but he gets little or no game time so we really need two strikers.

Robbie is talking about Hamilton going out on loan to gain vital first team experience in a lower league so maybe a goalkeeper required. We have no cover at left back and the jury is still out on whether Oshaniwa is cut out for our league so we need a left back.

Already that is four players we need without adding any real value to the team.

You say adding players to increase the size of the squad won't make us any better. I am saying we are short in certain areas and need cover . Surely it is better having players playing in their natural positions instead of having a Centre Back playing Wing Back.

I agree there is no point in adding players "willy nilly" like the Hibs but I think we really could do with about six signings.

Archived