Latest SNP embarassment

kingantti1874

A throwaway comment - "The Welsh are even more gutless than the scots"

This says a whoooole lot more about you than it does about me!

Awwwww, boo hoo

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Auld Reekin'

From 1995 to 1997 I worked regular nightshifts at Safeway Gyle.

Oh, I'm sorry; I just naturally assumed that you were spouting utter shite because you didn't know w.t.f. you were talking about - my mistake on this occasion. Maybe however, stacking shelves is somewhat less mentally and physically demanding than the jobs many people have to do "on-shift".

From 1995 to 1997 I worked regular nightshifts at Safeway Gyle.

Did ye, aye.

ToadKiller Dog

No evidence longer opening on Sunday increases job numbers or sales .

They tested it in England during the Olympics sales were actually down 0.2% .

All it does is give those who don't work on a Sunday longer to stroll about with their family in the big super stores B&Q or Tesco's , while generally low paid shop workers work longer hours spending less with theirs .

The bill was all about the interests of big business .

SNP were right to join with others to vote down the bill ,( they do need to ditch the only vote on Scots matters idea and say they will vote on issue by issue )

Likewise, there would be less demands on your life working the same job and the same hours but without a wife or kid(s) for example.

Again, it says nothing about how demanding the job itself is.

Absolutely in agreement that one of the downside to shift work is the unsociable hours and the sleep patterns etc. I just don't think that makes it a more demanding job by default.

To quote an example i8 mentioned, who has a more demanding job - the guy who stands at the door of a 24hr Tesco between 11pm and 7am, or a primary school teacher for example?

I'm not trying to play anyones job or lifestyle down here btw so don't take it as a dig or whatever, I just don't believe its as simple as 'shift jobs are more demanding than 9-5's'

It makes the same job harder due to fatigue and general less well-being. That quite simply can't be argued against.

It makes the same job harder due to fatigue and general less well-being. That quite simply can't be argued against.

Which absolutely ignores the point I made originally. Not all jobs are equal.

Stacking shelves through the night in Safeway is nowhere near as demanding as being a school teacher for example. That quite simply cant be argued against.

Oh, I'm sorry; I just naturally assumed that you were spouting utter shite because you didn't know w.t.f. you were talking about - my mistake on this occasion. Maybe however, stacking shelves is somewhat less mentally and physically demanding than the jobs many people have to do "on-shift".

Which is exactly the point i'm trying to make.....

Generic Username

Stacking shelves through the night in Safeway is nowhere near as demanding as being a school teacher for example. That quite simply cant be argued against.

Nobody's trying to argue that.

Somebody has however, suggested there is no difference between working shifts and working a designated 9-5 position. As you rightly say, not all jobs are equal, which is why stances like "tough tatties, you chose that job" can be somewhat inflammatory, and ill-informed.

I've never said any different. I ignored your original point as it can't be quantified, you're compared apples and pears.

A school teacher working a shift pattern covering starts between 3am and 5am one week and starting from from between 14:00 and 16:00 the next week is going to find it more demanding than the same job Mon-Fri 09:00-1700. But no worries, she can make it to the dentist.

Kin hell. This place...... :lol:

Folk say: SHIFT WORK IS MORE DEMANDING THAN 9-5 WORK

I say: Its not as simple as that, you cant quantify it that way as not all jobs are the same.

Folk say: NAH YER WRONG COS SHIFT WORK IS HARDERER.

I say: You just cant compare. Stacking shelves isnt the same as teaching.

Folk say: Aye but you're comparing apples with pears there, not all jobs are the same.

I'm away to bang my head off a wall.

I say: Its not as simple as that, you cant quantify it that way as not all jobs are the same.

Folk say: Aye but you're comparing apples with pears there, not all jobs are the same.

I think you're getting people and what points they've made mixed up. Banging your head on a wall though, that makes you hard any time of the day.

John Findlay

Make it a wooden wall. They are not as hard as brick or ones made from stone. Wouldn't want you damaging yourself.

No evidence longer opening on Sunday increases job numbers or sales .

They tested it in England during the Olympics sales were actually down 0.2% .

All it does is give those who don't work on a Sunday longer to stroll about with their family in the big super stores B&Q or Tesco's , while generally low paid shop workers work longer hours spending less with theirs .

The bill was all about the interests of big business .

SNP were right to join with others to vote down the bill ,( they do need to ditch the only vote on Scots matters idea and say they will vote on issue by issue )

Why were the SNP right to vote down the bill?

Regarding London 2012, those sales figures are really not worth looking at. Everyone assumed the Olympics and the tourists it would bring would bring increased revenue. Where in fact it did the opposite.

I would say comparing similar Scottish and English shops current Sunday trade would be more of a realistic analysis to do. Where as not all increases in trade would be incremental sales, I have no doubt there would be some sales gains.

Why were the SNP right to vote down the bill?

Regarding London 2012, those sales figures are really not worth looking at. Everyone assumed the Olympics and the tourists it would bring would bring increased revenue. Where in fact it did the opposite.

I would say comparing similar Scottish and English shops current Sunday trade would be more of a realistic analysis to do. Where as not all increases in trade would be incremental sales, I have no doubt there would be some sales gains.

I have on good authority from another government report, that all us scots are too pisht to shop on a sunday or any other day by all accounts and the only shops making money are the bevvy shops, so the the SNP should shut their drunken gobs and mind their own business.

government reports to steer the people to what the government want you to see, figure manipulation is the main objective/talent of politicians.

I have on good authority from another government report, that all us scots are too pisht to shop on a sunday or any other day by all accounts and the only shops making money are the bevvy shops, so the the SNP should shut their drunken gobs and mind their own business.

government reports to steer the people to what the government want you to see, figure manipulation is the main objective/talent of politicians.

Or I could look at analysis I did for my own employer and what impact longer Sunday trading may have had.

I think you're getting people and what points they've made mixed up. Banging your head on a wall though, that makes you hard any time of the day.

I have literally no idea how you could possibly have read that post and interpreted it as me being or portraying myself as 'hard'.

:lol:

I think some people on here would like to go back to the dark days of the 70s when you could not even buy alcohol on a Sunday.

I have literally no idea how you could possibly have read that post and interpreted it as me being or portraying myself as 'hard'.

:lol:

You must be man! I only know proper Millwall that are that hard ;)

Stimulating if demanding job, good pay, great terms and conditions and career prospects versus minimum wage, mind numbingly boring, zombie sleep patterns and limited career prospects.

Teaching is clearly less demanding. Only an idiot would argue against that.

Generic Username

I think some people on here would like to go back to the dark days of the 70s when you could not even buy alcohol on a Sunday.

Just buy double on the Saturday night.

I think some people on here would like to go back to the dark days of the 70s when you could not even buy alcohol on a Sunday.

Perhaps that would be a good thing.

Perhaps that would be a good thing.

How? The majority of people enjoy a drink on a Sunday. Pubs are usually heaving for sport etc.

God and Jesus can suck it imo.

jambos are go!

Shift work is bad for your health Ive read several times. Higher risk of cancer and heart problems.

AlphonseCapone

Before I go off on one I respect anyone that does a hard honest graft but here (to me) are some home truths:

Shift work is not more demanding, there are many things you can't do working 9-5 that you can on shifts.  Bear in mind if you need personal appointments etc it conflicts with your working time.  You can?t really go ?out on a school night? and it is far far far more dull and boring.

Shift work, you have variety, you can organise doctors/dentists appointments around your shifts, you can go out some week nights etc.

It seems to me like you are asking for special dispensation because you choose to work in a different environment to a 9-5 and this is very wrong to me.

Many people choose shift work as it suits their life and many people choose 9-5 as it suits theirs.  Should either be treated better for this? Of course not.

Having a family is choice and one of the things that should be thought about apart from the 2 most important things of being able to care for it the way the baby deserves and can you afford to have a baby, is does my working hours suit this life?

Last time I looked there was near to 7 billion people in this world and 7 days of the week.  Now the world would literally collapse if everyone seen a Sunday as being a special day.  Our demands in life are not Mon ? Friday, we require all the things on a Sunday that we need on say a Tuesday.  We also have the right of choice and we should be able to choose if we want to go shopping on Sunday or say a Wednesday.  Weekends suit school kids, students, parents with young kids, so they work Saturday and Sunday.  Should someone who can?t work a Monday due to child needs be paid more as they can only work a Sunday just because they choose to have a child?

I work 9 ? 5 as it the choice I made.  I have no kids as it is the choice I have made.  I like my weekends to get completely bevvied as it is the choice I have made.  The bartender that may serve me, may have a child or be travelling or be a student and his/her shift may completely suit them.  They should not be paid more than the working mum working a Monday night as she needs to be with her kid on the Sunday.

More like no woman would go near you with a ten foot bargepole.

More like no woman would go near you with a ten foot bargepole.

You'd be surprised old chap.

Jambo-Jimbo

Before I go off on one I respect anyone that does a hard honest graft but here (to me) are some home truths:

Shift work is not more demanding, there are many things you can't do working 9-5 that you can on shifts.  Bear in mind if you need personal appointments etc it conflicts with your working time.  You can?t really go ?out on a school night? and it is far far far more dull and boring.

Shift work, you have variety, you can organise doctors/dentists appointments around your shifts, you can go out some week nights etc.

It seems to me like you are asking for special dispensation because you choose to work in a different environment to a 9-5 and this is very wrong to me.

Many people choose shift work as it suits their life and many people choose 9-5 as it suits theirs.  Should either be treated better for this? Of course not.

Having a family is choice and one of the things that should be thought about apart from the 2 most important things of being able to care for it the way the baby deserves and can you afford to have a baby, is does my working hours suit this life?

Last time I looked there was near to 7 billion people in this world and 7 days of the week.  Now the world would literally collapse if everyone seen a Sunday as being a special day.  Our demands in life are not Mon ? Friday, we require all the things on a Sunday that we need on say a Tuesday.  We also have the right of choice and we should be able to choose if we want to go shopping on Sunday or say a Wednesday.  Weekends suit school kids, students, parents with young kids, so they work Saturday and Sunday.  Should someone who can?t work a Monday due to child needs be paid more as they can only work a Sunday just because they choose to have a child?

I work 9 ? 5 as it the choice I made.  I have no kids as it is the choice I have made.  I like my weekends to get completely bevvied as it is the choice I have made.  The bartender that may serve me, may have a child or be travelling or be a student and his/her shift may completely suit them.  They should not be paid more than the working mum working a Monday night as she needs to be with her kid on the Sunday.

I worked shifts for years and it's clear you don't have a clue what your taking about.

First of all working shifts wasn't some life style choice, it was the requirement of the job, if you didn't work shifts you didn't have a job, simple.

But I'll tell you the shifts we used to work and I did these for years and years, 30+ years.

Monday - 6am to 2.30pm

Tuesday - 2.30pm to 11pm

Wednesday - 6am to 2.30pm

Thursday - 2.30pm to 11pm

Friday - 6am to Midday

And the next week was the other way around, Monday start at 2.30pm.

Did you notice that twice every week you finished at 11pm and started the next morning at 6am, that's only 7 hours between shifts and you were often really lucky if you managed to get 3 hours sleep and even that was often just dozing as you knew you were getting up in a few hours and just couldn't relax.  Ok but you had 24 hours off I hear you say, yes that's true but most of the time you were so fecking knackered to do anything like having an evening out etc because you had had only a few hours sleep.  Fortunately these shifts were done away with and we then worked a straight week about.

One week was Early Shift 6am to 2pm Monday-Friday and the other week back shift 2pm to midnight Monday-Thursday.

But do you want to know the best shift of all, it was a shift called Day Shift and it was often rare that you ever worked this shift but it was 7.30am to 4.30pm which is pretty much 9-5 and was a fantastic shift.

No more getting up at 4am and off every night, none of this working until midnight, no you could do things with the family.

I worked shifts for years and it's clear you don't have a clue what your taking about.

First of all working shifts wasn't some life style choice, it was the requirement of the job, if you didn't work shifts you didn't have a job, simple.

But I'll tell you the shifts we used to work and I did these for years and years, 30+ years.

Monday - 6am to 2.30pm

Tuesday - 2.30pm to 11pm

Wednesday - 6am to 2.30pm

Thursday - 2.30pm to 11pm

Friday - 6am to Midday

And the next week was the other way around, Monday start at 2.30pm.

Did you notice that twice every week you finished at 11pm and started the next morning at 6am, that's only 7 hours between shifts and you were often really lucky if you managed to get 3 hours sleep and even that was often just dozing as you knew you were getting up in a few hours and just couldn't relax.  Ok but you had 24 hours off I hear you say, yes that's true but most of the time you were so fecking knackered to do anything like having an evening out etc because you had had only a few hours sleep.  Fortunately these shifts were done away with and we then worked a straight week about.

One week was Early Shift 6am to 2pm Monday-Friday and the other week back shift 2pm to midnight Monday-Thursday.

But do you want to know the best shift of all, it was a shift called Day Shift and it was often rare that you ever worked this shift but it was 7.30am to 4.30pm which is pretty much 9-5 and was a fantastic shift.

No more getting up at 4am and off every night, none of this working until midnight, no you could do things with the family.

1. I have worked many many many shifts in my time

2. I can straight away see advantages in that Rota you posted.

Like everything there are advantages and disadvantages to shift work.  4 days on and 4 days off is a immense deal for some.  I'd take it.

Auld Reekin'

Anyway - we've gone way off-topic here: wasn't this thread a let's-all-slag-off-the-SNP-on-any-pretext-and-at-the-slightest-excuse-whatsoever one?  :yadayada:   Jeez, some people...   :rolleyes:

deesidejambo

Anyway - we've gone way off-topic here: wasn't this thread a let's-all-slag-off-the-SNP-on-any-pretext-and-at-the-slightest-excuse-whatsoever one?  :yadayada:   Jeez, some people...   :rolleyes:

OK now that you mention that.

The Named person legal challenge has just completed in the supreme court, where it has been uncovered that the Named person will be given access to childrens medical records and the Doctor/patient right to patient confidentiality will be superseded.

In particular, if a Doctor prescribes the contraceptive pill to a teenage girl, the Named person (usually a school headmaster) will need to be informed, but the childs parents not.

This instate snooping in the extreme.  ML should be told.

http://no2np.org/gps-must-tell-named-person-teenage-girls-prescribed-pill-says-qc/

Auld Reekin'

OK now that you mention that.

The Named person legal challenge has just completed in the supreme court, where it has been uncovered that the Named person will be given access to childrens medical records and the Doctor/patient right to patient confidentiality will be superseded.

In particular, if a Doctor prescribes the contraceptive pill to a teenage girl, the Named person (usually a school headmaster) will need to be informed, but the childs parents not.

This instate snooping in the extreme.  ML should be told.

http://no2np.org/gps-must-tell-named-person-teenage-girls-prescribed-pill-says-qc/

That's not spurious at all - must try harder...

Actually, I agree with you on this one, and think the proposal - although no doubt well-intentioned - is completely over the top, ill thought-out, and would indeed constitute unwarranted "state-snooping".

1. I have worked many many many shifts in my time

2. I can straight away see advantages in that Rota you posted.

Like everything there are advantages and disadvantages to shift work.  4 days on and 4 days off is a immense deal for some.  I'd take it.

Well, it has it's advantages but when you're working Christmas, New Year, public holidays and most weekends for the minimum wage the deal seems far from immense. It's just down right exploitative. As Bukowski said, Slavery wasn't abolished it was just made available to all the colours.

deesidejambo

That's not spurious at all - must try harder...

Actually, I agree with you on this one, and think the proposal - although no doubt well-intentioned - is completely over the top, ill thought-out, and would indeed constitute unwarranted "state-snooping".

It has very interesting and serious ramifications.

The school Headie gets to know exactly which girls in the school are on the pill, and therefore sexually active.    This opens the risk of the Headie using that information to his/her advantage.    Information can be passed on to potential predators and could even be made public, all without the parents even knowing.

Wheres ML when you need him?

Are you for real bro?

You think because at one time that was most googled term in the UK that means that the English want to vote for the UK?  You know we could maybe only be talking about a million tops in one day and that would pretty much be in Scotland?

No, I don't think that.

I was replying to a post.

Sorry, can't reply to this as I don't understand it.

Jambo-Jimbo

After the first Leader's Debate before the General Election, voting for the SNP and Nicola Sturgeon was the most googled term in the UK.

London is not the UK, no matter how much they think it is.

I don't drink Absinthe......it's for ****ed up ginger artists with love problems.

Don't know about the most googled but Sturgeon was the voted as being the most popular politician across the UK, according to this poll which was taking during the General Election.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/13211668.Poll_shows_Sturgeon_is_now_the_most_popular_politician_across_Britain/

Geoff Kilpatrick

I also stacked envelopes for ANZ in Australia in the nights.

Makes note to change my bank due to their poor employment practices.

No, I don't think that.

I was replying to a post.

Sorry, can't reply to this as I don't understand it.

You have replied.

niblick1874

So as a yes voters.

I'm watching SNP campaigning for less independence by remaining in a bigger state than the UK where the economy is governed by Germany.

I'm seeing double the UK deficit less tax raised per head yet more spent per head.

I voted yes for none of the above reasons.

But those facts need discussed and not dogmatically.

The SNP are not the answer for scotland

It has very interesting and serious ramifications.

The school Headie gets to know exactly which girls in the school are on the pill, and therefore sexually active.    This opens the risk of the Headie using that information to his/her advantage.    Information can be passed on to potential predators and could even be made public, all without the parents even knowing.

Wheres ML when you need him?

Here we have two posters pointing out the glairing contradictions and tell tale signs that tell me (and should be red flags for everyone) for certain that the SNP are not what they seem and are as imbedded as the Tories in the back pocket of the same people. One gets it (no surprise there jake) while the other is throwing stones in a glass house. I understand why so many Scots are sucked in but take a step back and consider the points made in the posts above (what's their stance on the TTIP).

While I am at it. i8, Do you think we are all buttoned up the back? 1970? you lot want to drag us back to VicTORIan times in the nastiest  possible way. What a brass neck.

I would like to see a poll on what the English think of the SNP voting in the way they did as apposed to whether they should have voted  on it in the first place or not. I have a feeling that the majority would have approved.

Jambo-Jimbo

Here we have two posters pointing out the glairing contradictions and tell tale signs that tell me (and should be red flags for everyone) for certain that the SNP are not what they seem and are as imbedded as the Tories in the back pocket of the same people. One gets it (no surprise there jake) while the other is throwing stones in a glass house. I understand why so many Scots are sucked in but take a step back and consider the points made in the posts above (what's their stance on the TTIP).

While I am at it. i8, Do you think we are all buttoned up the back? 1970? you lot want to drag us back to VicTORIan times in the nastiest  possible way. What a brass neck.

I would like to see a poll on what the English think of the SNP voting in the way they did as apposed to whether they should have voted  on it in the first place or not. I have a feeling that the majority would have approved.

From what I've seen on the news about it, it was the Government who were pushing this bill forward, a very large or maybe even most business leaders didn't want extended opening times on a Sunday in the first place, only the Government will know why they wanted the bill to pass so badly.

niblick1874

From what I've seen on the news about it, it was the Government who were pushing this bill forward, a very large or maybe even most business leaders didn't want extended opening times on a Sunday in the first place, only the Government will know why they wanted the bill to pass so badly.

Thanks for that Jimbo, that is interesting. A rogue government with an agenda that is hidden to all but a few and will openly fly in the face of public opinion to achieve their goal it is then. 

Jambo-Jimbo

Thanks for that Jimbo, that is interesting. A rogue government with an agenda that is hidden to all but a few and will openly fly in the face of public opinion to achieve their goal it is then. 

I think the Governments thinking behind it was it would boost the economy as people would spend more money if the shops were open longer.

What business leaders said was that people will still only spend the same amount of money and there wouldn't be any gains whatsoever as most folks didn't have the extra money to spend.

Jambo-Jimbo

How did 54 SNP MP's manage to out vote a majority tory government?.

Because Labour & some if not all of the Northern Irish MP's also voted against the bill.

Oh! and 27 Conservative MP's also voted against their own party as well.

HaymarketJambo

Didn't English MP's at Westminster vote on some of the Smith Commission Report that went through the House of Commons, maybe someone can correct on this?

niblick1874

I think the Governments thinking behind it was it would boost the economy as people would spend more money if the shops were open longer.

What business leaders said was that people will still only spend the same amount of money and there wouldn't be any gains whatsoever as most folks didn't have the extra money to spend.

So we had everyone and their uncle telling them they were wrong in their reasoning when up against the facts but they carried on regardless? Where have we come across that kind of governance before. It's as if they are a government put in place by an occupying army ffs. 

You have replied.

I thought I understood what you were asking but then I read it again after posting and, well......

Are you for real bro?

You think because at one time that was most googled term in the UK that means that the English want to vote for the UK?  You know we could maybe only be talking about a million tops in one day and that would pretty much be in Scotland?

Let's leave it...please.

Archived