Latest SNP embarassment

kingantti1874

Sorry, that doesn't really mean anything.

If you'd said there was no evidence of a wish to vote for the SNP, which there was pre-2015 Election, or admiration of Sturgeon, which there still may well be,then i'd agree.

But I don't !

I live in England and work in London. I'm saying I don't know anyone here that wanted to vote for SNP.

You're saying that that opinion is worth less than one that somebody made up saying loads in England want to vote SNP?

I can see your logic. Keep a hold of the absinthe friend.

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there should be a vote to restrict Sunday hours in Scotland .. It's only fair...

Close the shops in Sundays for me. Opening hours and working conditions for those in retail have got out of hand.

Close the shops in Sundays for me. Opening hours and working conditions for those in retail have got out of hand.

Are they any different from hospitality industry? Do we close hotels, bars, restaurants too?

I live in England and work in London. I'm saying I don't know anyone here that wanted to vote for SNP.

You're saying that that opinion is worth less than one that somebody made up saying loads in England want to vote SNP?

After the first Leader's Debate before the General Election, voting for the SNP and Nicola Sturgeon was the most googled term in the UK.

London is not the UK, no matter how much they think it is.

I don't drink Absinthe......it's for ****ed up ginger artists with love problems.

After the first Leader's Debate before the General Election, voting for the SNP and Nicola Sturgeon was the most googled term in the UK.

London is not the UK, no matter how much they think it is.

I don't drink Absinthe......it's for ****ed up ginger artists with love problems.

Are you for real bro?

You think because at one time that was most googled term in the UK that means that the English want to vote for the UK?  You know we could maybe only be talking about a million tops in one day and that would pretty much be in Scotland?

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I also live in England. No-one here gives Scotland any more thought than they do Wales or the Isle of Wight. Scotland has a strange sense of self-importance. As I always say on these threads, more British people live in Yorkshire than Scotland.

jack D and coke

I also live in England. No-one here gives Scotland any more thought than they do Wales or the Isle of Wight. Scotland has a strange sense of self-importance. As I always say on these threads, more British people live in Yorkshire than Scotland.

Scotland doesn't have any sense of self importance it's because you see and hear all the discussions you think that. Scotland is a very mixed up place and argues amongst itself and has done for centuries. I always wonder if any other European countries dislike each other region by region and also religion wise like Scotland does and to a lesser extent, the UK. How it's remained united I've no idea.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Scotland doesn't have any sense of self importance it's because you see and hear all the discussions you think that. Scotland is a very mixed up place and argues amongst itself and has done for centuries. I always wonder if any other European countries dislike each other region by region and also religion wise like Scotland does and to a lesser extent, the UK. How it's remained united I've no idea.

The rhetoric of the SNP in comparison to say Plaid Cymru suggests otherwise.

Although you'll probably point out that the SNP are not the same as Scotland, and you'd be right.

jack D and coke

The rhetoric of the SNP in comparison to say Plaid Cymru suggests otherwise.

Although you'll probably point out that the SNP are not the same as Scotland, and you'd be right.

I hope Scotland never becomes like Wales to be quite honest. The Welsh are even more gutless than the scots.

Wales is part of England as far as I'm concerned.

JudyJudyJudy

I hope Scotland never becomes like Wales to be quite honest. The Welsh are even more gutless than the scots.

Yep true. Least Scotland well some of us have a back bone to challenge the English. And no im not the biggest fan of the SNP and some of their pathetic policies.  Espeically around the latest " Named person" for every child . Its a gross intrusion into family life and their criminal justice policies. But I want independence but until the economic argument is won it aint happening anytime soon.

Unknown user

Of course they do, is anyone honestly thinking local rivalry is peculiar to Scotland? 

I hope Scotland never becomes like Wales to be quite honest. The Welsh are even more gutless than the scots.

Not sure if this was done for a reaction or not, but what an utterly shitty thing to come out with, insulting to 2 groups of people, including practically everyone here.

I can't tell if it's superiority you feel over all us plebs, or just self loathing at your scottishness but I have a fresh warning point in the bag so I'm just going to walk away muttering under my breath after saying "that's a disgrace mate"

jack D and coke

Of course they do, is anyone honestly thinking local rivalry is peculiar to Scotland?

Not sure if this was done for a reaction or not, but what an utterly shitty thing to come out with, insulting to 2 groups of people, including practically everyone here.

I can't tell if it's superiority you feel over all us plebs, or just self loathing at your scottishness but I have a fresh warning point in the bag so I'm just going to walk away muttering under my breath after saying "that's a disgrace mate"

[emoji1]

Always amazes me how touchy some folk are.

No wonder you get warnings when you get all Leeds United about a throwaway comment.

I will ALWAYS work Saturday and normally work Sunday. I will never be paid more for it. If you somehow think you (not you personally, just people in general) are entitled to more money just because it's a different day then quite frankly you're (again, not you personally) are a tosser.

You are not having a go at me personally yet you still manage to put me in the tosser bracket.

Haha.

Any overtime should be paid extra.

Most people are mon - fri so therefore sat /sun is extra.

Now if you are part time or your working week is inclusive of the weekends it's up to you I suppose.

Most people want the weekends to be free.

Kids football pub whatever.

I just get sick of hearing about benefits to the economy .

When are we as a society going to place some value on other things in life instead of it all being geared to the ftse.

I'm happy to toss my self of at the weekends buddy.

Want me to work it's time and a half till 12 on Saturday then double bubble after that.And double bubble Sunday.

I'm worth it .

John Findlay

Having lived in England (mainly Hampshire) for 26 yrs (1979-2005)I personally can say with hand on heart that the peoples of England fight more amongst themselves than Scots have ever done. The dislike bordering on hatred between the North East and the Home Counties(including London in the home counties) Greater Manchester and the Home Counties. Yorkshire and the Home Counties (there are many in Yorkshire that believe that is where the real heart and capital of England is) and Merseyside and the Home Counties. I think you see a pattern emerging here. I haven't even touched the West or East Midlands yet. There is even a Cornish independence party for crying out loud. Btw there were a lot of people in the North of England who would have liked to have voted SNP as they saw them as a better option than Labour to the Conservative and Unionist party.

jack D and coke

Having lived in England (mainly Hampshire) for 26 yrs (1979-2005)I personally can say with hand on heart that the peoples of England fight more amongst themselves than Scots have ever done. The dislike bordering on hatred between the North East and the Home Counties(including London in the home counties) Greater Manchester and the Home Counties. Yorkshire and the Home Counties (there are many in Yorkshire that believe that is where the real heart and capital of England is) and Merseyside and the Home Counties. I think you see a pattern emerging here. I haven't even touched the West or East Midlands yet. There is even a Cornish independence party for crying out loud. Btw there were a lot of people in the North of England who would have liked to have voted SNP as they saw them as a better option than Labour to the Conservative and Unionist party.

The U.K. is really bad for that, class related too. Everybody always looking down their nose at somebody. People don't like people in the next housing estate or towns, I don't like the Welsh and scots that are less scoattish than me (apparently), Smithee doesn't like me and on it goes! United Kingdom? Pfft[emoji1]

Unknown user

[emoji1]

Always amazes me how touchy some folk are.

No wonder you get warnings when you get all Leeds United about a throwaway comment.

A throwaway comment - "The Welsh are even more gutless than the scots"

This says a whoooole lot more about you than it does about me!

I will ALWAYS work Saturday and normally work Sunday. I will never be paid more for it. If you somehow think you (not you personally, just people in general) are entitled to more money just because it's a different day then quite frankly you're (again, not you personally) are a tosser.

I work a 35 hour week and any more than gets paid at a higher rate. If it wasn't, I wouldn't be working it. The OT rate at my work is the same on a Sunday, so they struggle to cover shifts. That means I get to negotiate 12 hours pay for a lot less hours and sometimes the next day off also. Again, I wouldn't do it otherwise.

jack D and coke

A throwaway comment - "The Welsh are even more gutless than the scots"

This says a whoooole lot more about you than it does about me!

Does it?? Well I'm not really into having any feuds on here im a bit too old to waste any energy doing that. I'm assuming your Welsh and your offended well accept my apology. It was a throwaway and perhaps silly remark for me and things get taken very wrong in text.

John Findlay

I work a 35 hour week and any more than gets paid at a higher rate. If it wasn't, I wouldn't be working it. The OT rate at my work is the same on a Sunday, so they struggle to cover shifts. That means I get to negotiate 12 hours pay for a lot less hours and sometimes the next day off also. Again, I wouldn't do it otherwise.[/quo

If I was a guessing man I would guess you work in the rail industry?

I work a 35 hour week and any more than gets paid at a higher rate. If it wasn't, I wouldn't be working it. The OT rate at my work is the same on a Sunday, so they struggle to cover shifts. That means I get to negotiate 12 hours pay for a lot less hours and sometimes the next day off also. Again, I wouldn't do it otherwise.[/quo

If I was a guessing man I would guess you work in the rail industry?

Spot on.

Thunderstruck

Also true within Scotland - particularly the dominance of "The Weege" in many aspects of life. Greater Glasgow, like London and the Home Counties, is the most populous part of the country and therefore has considerable sway in politics.

We should also remember that what we call Scotland is a construct only a few hundred years older than the UK. Why is that the best geographical entity for governance? Perhaps we should have smaller parts of this Scotland as federal areas within UK.

jack D and coke

Also true within Scotland - particularly the dominance of "The Weege" in many aspects of life. Greater Glasgow, like London and the Home Counties, is the most populous part of the country and therefore has considerable sway in politics.

We should also remember that what we call Scotland is a construct only a few hundred years older than the UK. Why is that the best geographical entity for governance? Perhaps we should have smaller parts of this Scotland as federal areas within UK.

Federalism is the only thing that can save the UK IMO. Some form of independence is coming down the road whether people want to admit it or not. It can either be as part of a much looser Union or completely severed.

From the day the Scottish Parliament was reformed I believe the eventual outcome is inevitable.

kingantti1874

You know its to protect workers pay, as a you were a probable no voter why shouldn't our elected members to parliament vote.

What about English workers pay? as I say I think we should have an vote in parliament to restrict Scottish Sunday opening times..Are Scottish people more important.. ?

I work every Monday - should I get paid extra? No, of course effing not.  So why should someone who works a Sunday be paid more?  Valid reasons only please.  I have a postage stamp if required. Please note that I have yet to read a valid answer.  Shift work should not be treated differently to 9-5 - EVER!

Just heard someone refer to Sunday as God's day

:facepalm:

What a truly ridiculous world we live in.

I work every Monday - should I get paid extra? No, of course effing not. So why should someone who works a Sunday be paid more? Valid reasons only please. I have a postage stamp if required. Please note that I have yet to read a valid answer. Shift work should not be treated differently to 9-5 - EVER!

OK, I'll bite. Shift work is more demanding than 9-5 work. Sleeping patterns can't be established and family life is harder. Shift work is very different to 9-5, and should rightly be treated so.

I'm rostered to work on some Sundays, but I don't have to work it. I tend to choose not to, as it's sometimes the only day in the week I get to actually spend time with my wee boy.

Sometimes if I've had another useful day off I'll work it if I can get a carrot of 12 hours of extra and inflated pay. That's the price, and it's worth it for me and my employer. If the price isn't met then I have a day off.

OK, I'll bite. Shift work is more demanding than 9-5 work. Sleeping patterns can't be established and family life is harder. Shift work is very different to 9-5, and should rightly be treated so.

I'm rostered to work on some Sundays, but I don't have to work it. I tend to choose not to, as it's sometimes the only day in the week I get to actually spend time with my wee boy.

Sometimes if I've had another useful day off I'll work it if I can get a carrot of 12 hours of extra and inflated pay. That's the price, and it's worth it for me and my employer. If the price isn't met then I have a day off.

:spoton:

Before I go off on one I respect anyone that does a hard honest graft but here (to me) are some home truths:

Shift work is not more demanding, there are many things you can't do working 9-5 that you can on shifts.  Bear in mind if you need personal appointments etc it conflicts with your working time.  You can?t really go ?out on a school night? and it is far far far more dull and boring.

Shift work, you have variety, you can organise doctors/dentists appointments around your shifts, you can go out some week nights etc.

It seems to me like you are asking for special dispensation because you choose to work in a different environment to a 9-5 and this is very wrong to me.

Many people choose shift work as it suits their life and many people choose 9-5 as it suits theirs.  Should either be treated better for this? Of course not.

Having a family is choice and one of the things that should be thought about apart from the 2 most important things of being able to care for it the way the baby deserves and can you afford to have a baby, is does my working hours suit this life?

Last time I looked there was near to 7 billion people in this world and 7 days of the week.  Now the world would literally collapse if everyone seen a Sunday as being a special day.  Our demands in life are not Mon ? Friday, we require all the things on a Sunday that we need on say a Tuesday.  We also have the right of choice and we should be able to choose if we want to go shopping on Sunday or say a Wednesday.  Weekends suit school kids, students, parents with young kids, so they work Saturday and Sunday.  Should someone who can?t work a Monday due to child needs be paid more as they can only work a Sunday just because they choose to have a child?

I work 9 ? 5 as it the choice I made.  I have no kids as it is the choice I have made.  I like my weekends to get completely bevvied as it is the choice I have made.  The bartender that may serve me, may have a child or be travelling or be a student and his/her shift may completely suit them.  They should not be paid more than the working mum working a Monday night as she needs to be with her kid on the Sunday.

Generic Username

Working a night shift ISN'T more demanding than doing a Dolly Parton 9 till 5?!

:rofl:

Shut up i8 :rofl: You're my absolute favourite.

Working a night shift ISN'T more demanding than doing a Dolly Parton 9 till 5?!

:rofl:

Shut up i8 :rofl: You're my absolute favourite.

Many more night jobs are more demanding and many 9-5 are more demanding.  Depends (like everything) what you do.  Do you think just because someone works a night shift that means they work harder than a 9-5? Are you a bit special? So a night watchman has more of a demanding job than a school teacher?

Are you aware many people work the nights as they do not like the idea of 9-5?  You are quite simple. Simple Si.

Unbelievable :rofl:

Big guy in the sky kicking his feet up, what a load of shite.

Before I go off on one I respect anyone that does a hard honest graft but here (to me) are some home truths:

Shift work is not more demanding, there are many things you can't do working 9-5 that you can on shifts. Bear in mind if you need personal appointments etc it conflicts with your working time. You can?t really go ?out on a school night? and it is far far far more dull and boring.

Shift work, you have variety, you can organise doctors/dentists appointments around your shifts, you can go out some week nights etc.

It seems to me like you are asking for special dispensation because you choose to work in a different environment to a 9-5 and this is very wrong to me.

Many people choose shift work as it suits their life and many people choose 9-5 as it suits theirs. Should either be treated better for this? Of course not.

Having a family is choice and one of the things that should be thought about apart from the 2 most important things of being able to care for it the way the baby deserves and can you afford to have a baby, is does my working hours suit this life?

Last time I looked there was near to 7 billion people in this world and 7 days of the week. Now the world would literally collapse if everyone seen a Sunday as being a special day. Our demands in life are not Mon ? Friday, we require all the things on a Sunday that we need on say a Tuesday. We also have the right of choice and we should be able to choose if we want to go shopping on Sunday or say a Wednesday. Weekends suit school kids, students, parents with young kids, so they work Saturday and Sunday. Should someone who can?t work a Monday due to child needs be paid more as they can only work a Sunday just because they choose to have a child?

I work 9 ? 5 as it the choice I made. I have no kids as it is the choice I have made. I like my weekends to get completely bevvied as it is the choice I have made. The bartender that may serve me, may have a child or be travelling or be a student and his/her shift may completely suit them. They should not be paid more than the working mum working a Monday night as she needs to be with her kid on the Sunday.

Shift work isn't more demanding? The rest of your post isn't worth reading after that statement. You clearly have no clue.

Educate yourself http://m.oem.bmj.com/content/58/1/68.full

And if you think the above is made up have a little search yourself and see what you come up with.

Generic Username

Many more night jobs are more demanding and many 9-5 are more demanding.  Depends (like everything) what you do.  Do you think just because someone works a night shift that means they work harder than a 9-5? Are you a bit special? So a night watchman has more of a demanding job than a school teacher?

Are you aware many people work the nights as they do not like the idea of 9-5?  You are quite simple. Simple Si.

HEY EVERYONE i8 KNOWS MY NAME AND IT'S THE SAME AS HIS!

You've literally just listed a raft of things that are benefits to shift work;

"Shift work, you have variety, you can organise doctors/dentists appointments around your shifts, you can go out some week nights etc."

How do you get to a doctors when you're in your pit all day after knocking your pan in on a 12 hour night shift? When do you see your kids when you're at work all night and sleeping during the day when they're at school? Who do you hang out with when you're not in work & all your pals are? You've also literally taken one of the least demanding night jobs and then compared it to one of the hardest jobs in the teaching profession. That's as ridiculous as comparing a video of a kid doing 10 keepy uppies and going "aye but he's absolutely shite compared to John Robertson".

Weird that folk are suggesting that how demanding your job is is in some way related to the hours you work it....... cant quite get my head round that.

Surely how demanding your job is will depend more on erm, what your job is than when you do it no?!?

Some shift jobs will be more demanding than other shift jobs.

Some 9-5 jobs will be more demanding than other 9-5's.

Some shift jobs will be more demanding than some 9-5 jobs.

Some 9-5 jobs will be more demanding than some shift jobs.

Awwwwww sheeeeeeeeeeet.

That moment when you realise you've found yourself in agreement with something i8's said.

Fetch me the bleach.

Sunday is traditionally a day of rest.

It wasn't just picked .

It's to do with the bible .

So it is to do with God whether you believe or not.

I find it more incredulous that we now want to gear our lives more and more to the God of profit.

Now that is truly ridiculous.

John Findlay

ame="John Findlay" post="5291354" timestamp="1457609000"]

Spot on.

As do I. Ignore I8. He still wants bairns doon the pit and up chimneys

Weird that folk are suggesting that how demanding your job is is in some way related to the hours you work it....... cant quite get my head round that.

Surely how demanding your job is will depend more on erm, what your job is than when you do it no?!?

It's been a long time since I did a night shift.

When I did do it it mucked up my digestion it made me more tired and definitely more moody.

So imo your wrong

It's been a long time since I did a night shift.

When I did do it it mucked up my digestion it made me more tired and definitely more moody.

So imo your wrong

All you've done there is list some down sides to shift work. As has been mentioned already, there are also benefits.

The above doesn't say anything whatsoever about how demanding the JOB is.

Auld Reekin'

Shift work is not more demanding, there are many things you can't do working 9-5 that you can on shifts.  Bear in mind if you need personal appointments etc it conflicts with your working time.  You can?t really go ?out on a school night? and it is far far far more dull and boring.

Many people choose shift work as it suits their life and many people choose 9-5 as it suits theirs.  Should either be treated better for this? Of course not.

Last time I looked there was near to 7 billion people in this world and 7 days of the week.  Now the world would literally collapse if everyone seen a Sunday as being a special day.  Our demands in life are not Mon ? Friday, we require all the things on a Sunday that we need on say a Tuesday.  We also have the right of choice and we should be able to choose if we want to go shopping on Sunday or say a Wednesday.  Weekends suit school kids, students, parents with young kids, so they work Saturday and Sunday.  Should someone who can?t work a Monday due to child needs be paid more as they can only work a Sunday just because they choose to have a child?

I work 9 ? 5 as it the choice I made.  I have no kids as it is the choice I have made.  I like my weekends to get completely bevvied as it is the choice I have made.  The bartender that may serve me, may have a child or be travelling or be a student and his/her shift may completely suit them.  They should not be paid more than the working mum working a Monday night as she needs to be with her kid on the Sunday.

And there sounds-off a man who has never worked a night-shift in his life.

So you think it's a matter they should vote on and agree with the way they voted, yet you still accuse them of Hypocrisy. SNPbad.

Well yes, I'm actually SNPgood here. I'm just of the view they're having it both ways here! However in politics, who isn't?!

I'd be SNPdelighted if they got rid of Sunday trading in Scotland for the benefit of workers based in Scotland. If its bad for an Englishman's working life, is it not also for us Scots?

It's not so much the demands of what you're doing. It's the demands of the hours.

I'm not saying I'm hard done by, don't misinterperate me.

Here's my week, and next week:

Mon-05:30-14:16, Tues 07:30-15:30, we'd 06:10-13:12, thurs 06:40-14:16, Fri 07:44-17:18

Mon 14:30-23:16, Tues 15:44-00:44, wed 15:17-23:17, thurs off, Fri 17:28-23:54, sat 15:35-00:16.

So the above means my life has to change, and my wife's life has to change on a weekly basis. This week she drops the boy off at nursery and gets to work late and works late to compensate. I pick up the boy, do his bedtime and cook the dinner. A proper dinner this week. The flip side is I have to survive on 5 hours sleep which will undoubtedly be broken by a screaming baby.

Next week, the Mrs has to go to work early so she can come home early to pick the boy up. So that means that despite being home really late and I'm bed at 2am most nights I'll still be up at 06:00 to give the boy breakfast and take him to nursery. I can of course squeeze a few more hours in after I've then broken my sleep by a couple of hours but we all know this isn't healthy. I won't have proper meals next week as to maximise sleep and get the odd thing done at home as I simply don't have time.

No studies or research is needed here to see that my life would be much simpler and easier if I didn't have the demands of shifts that have a range starting at 03:24 and ending at 01:45.

You don't need to be a scientist to work out that I'm sleep deprived, struggle to keep a proper diet, and would most likely be healthier if I worked Mon-Fri 9-5.

I give you the above, and state that shift work is more demanding than 9-5. I'm open to valid reasons why it isn't.

All you've done there is list some down sides to shift work. As has been mentioned already, there are also benefits.

The above doesn't say anything whatsoever about how demanding the JOB is.

If I done the same job 9-5 it would be much less demanding on my life. Very simple.

Spitonastranger

What about English workers pay? as I say I think we should have an vote in parliament to restrict Scottish Sunday opening times..Are Scottish people more important.. ?

Im sure that the SNP would back a law to increase and assist English workers pay, the Sunday opening times in Scotland, workers get extra pay or hours for this. Should the Scottish tories, labour or liberals also not vote on this. For hundreds of years English politicians have voted on Scottish matters. We have elected members exercising their right to vote. I am pretty sure you would be embarrassed if the SNP didn't vote at parliament. :toff:  

deesidejambo

Well yes, I'm actually SNPgood here. I'm just of the view they're having it both ways here! However in politics, who isn't?!

I'd be SNPdelighted if they got rid of Sunday trading in Scotland for the benefit of workers based in Scotland. If its bad for an Englishman's working life, is it not also for us Scots?

the SNP voted it down to protect Scots workers who already benefit from it, in border areas. It was nothing to do with workers rights. The hypocrisy of it!

Currently shops open for most part 11-5 on a Sunday. Extended trading would have allowed them to open longer and looking at what Scottish shops do, would have probably meant 10-6 / 9-6, possibly 7pm

This isn't shift work either, so not quite sure why this thread has taken to compare nighttime working with day time working at weekends.

Don't think working a Sunday will mess body clocks etc

If I done the same job 9-5 it would be much less demanding on my life. Very simple.

Likewise, there would be less demands on your life working the same job and the same hours but without a wife or kid(s) for example.

Again, it says nothing about how demanding the job itself is.

Absolutely in agreement that one of the downside to shift work is the unsociable hours and the sleep patterns etc. I just don't think that makes it a more demanding job by default.

To quote an example i8 mentioned, who has a more demanding job - the guy who stands at the door of a 24hr Tesco between 11pm and 7am, or a primary school teacher for example?

I'm not trying to play anyones job or lifestyle down here btw so don't take it as a dig or whatever, I just don't believe its as simple as 'shift jobs are more demanding than 9-5's'

And there sounds-off a man who has never worked a night-shift in his life.

From 1995 to 1997 I worked regular nightshifts at Safeway Gyle.

Archived