Latest SNP embarassment

kingantti1874

So many bitter unionist tears, God only knows what you'd all be like had it been a yes vote.

:)

Voting out of the EU, on lack of Sovereignty. You couldn't make it up.

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Voting in to be part of a union. Run by Germany.

You couldn't make it up

If it was as simple as that then it would equally ridiculous for a nationalist to be voting to stay in the EU.

I still don't understand why people are still obsessed with the SNP voting on issues in the British Parliament as they were elected do so.

I'd imagine Mundell and Murray will be voting also, why isn't that also an issue?

If Scottish MP's aren't allowed to vote or raise an opinion in the Britsh parliament we may aswell not have had elections in the first place in Scotland.

It's a story because the SNP always stated on issues not directly affecting Scotland they'd abstain. In effect they would act on principle to not vote on English only issues.

They used to pillory parties who didn't take that approach.

Now they're happy to do so.

Fwiw, if I was an MP I'd vote against it. But the issue here is the SNP would cry foul if English MPs voted on Scottish legislation due to devolution so why do it to England?

jack D and coke

So many bitter unionist tears, God only knows what you'd all be like had it been a yes vote.

It's still difficult to believe a No was returned the bitterness is so tangible.

I think one the best things I've seen written about it was by unionist Alex Massie who said this.....

c9c1bf0e801caab1f13b220cf5449434.jpg

AlphonseCapone

Why would Unionists be bitter? After all they won the referendum. I think the bitterness and grievance politics is coming from only one party. The SNP.

Who knows it is weird eh? They should be happy.

For some reason they spend their time furious about the SNP, obsessed with everything they do and go into weird rants. The inevitable Scottish independence could tip them over the edge.

The SNP? As opposed to what in Scotland?  I will give my 2nd vote to the Greens come May as neither Butch Cassidy nor the Sundance Kid are up to it.

Ibrahim Tall

It's a story because the SNP always stated on issues not directly affecting Scotland they'd abstain. In effect they would act on principle to not vote on English only issues.

Fwiw, if I was an MP I'd vote against it. But the issue here is the SNP would cry foul if English MPs voted on Scottish legislation due to devolution so why do it to England?

In their opinion it does effect Scotland. Despite my limited knowledge on the subject it likely will, the 'Gretna Gateway' retail outlets for instance. Given the current hours south of the border, areas like that will receive extra business on Sundays due to the lack of alternative in England. With a charge in law that draw is no longer there and business is affected.

If you're going to act on a purely 'Scottish' basis that's a direct effect on a part of Scotland's economy.

AlphonseCapone

It's still difficult to believe a No was returned the bitterness is so tangible.

I think one the best things I've seen written about it was by unionist Alex Massie who said this.....

Very well explained by Massie there.

Voting in to be part of a union. Run by Germany.

You couldn't make it up

But its not, is it.

Its a member states club.

We're not a member, The UK are.

Scotland have no say on whether or not we stay. We're in or out, on the say of our English rulers.

If it was as simple as that then it would equally ridiculous for a nationalist to be voting to stay in the EU.

What about British Nationalists voting in.

So the SNP want to protect the Sunday pay rates for workers forced to work in large stores on a Sunday.

My understanding (happy to be corrected BTW) is that if the vote to change the Sunday trading laws in England are passed then Sunday will just be another "standard" trading day like a Tuesday or a Wednesday.

Scottish MP's protecting Scottish workers rights? Is that it?

Whatever next?

Aye, that is embarrassing right enough!

How many Retailers currently still pay a premium for new or recent employees. Can't be that many. Interesting to note that SNP don't quote any stats on that.

Sunday has been a normal trading day in retail for a long time now, especially in Scotland, and over the years most large companies have reduced down or removed Sunday premiums. So I don't think the SNP are really protecting anyone, just wanting to show they can influence policy that doesn't affect Scottish people and trying to create a backlash from down south questioning why do much was done to keep the U.K. together.

How many Retailers currently still pay a premium for new or recent employees. Can't be that many. Interesting to note that SNP don't quote any stats on that.

Sunday has been a normal trading day in retail for a long time now, especially in Scotland, and over the years most large companies have reduced down or removed Sunday premiums. So I don't think the SNP are really protecting anyone, just wanting to show they can influence policy that doesn't affect Scottish people and trying to create a backlash from down south questioning why do much was done to keep the U.K. together.

I'm more leaning towards what you've mentioned given the lack of numbers from the SNP on who would be affected and how. I can't think of many retailers besides John Lewis who pay premiums for Sundays, and I think it's only a legacy thing now, as new starts no longer get better pay on Sundays...?

SNP making noise because they want more devolved powers. I'm not a huge SNP fan, but I'm trying to see through the mist of all this and work out if this particular ploy may benefit us somehow..

But its not, is it.

Its a member states club.

We're not a member, The UK are.

Scotland have no say on whether or not we stay. We're in or out, on the say of our English rulers.

A member states club? Call it what you want. Scotland would be dictated more than ever by Brussels than the chips on your shoulder think Westminster does.

Scotland is part of the UK, so you are a member. You have a vote like everyone else of voting age does so you have as much say as anyone else.

A member states club? Call it what you want. Scotland would be dictated more than ever by Brussels than the chips on your shoulder think Westminster does.

Scotland is part of the UK, so you are a member. You have a vote like everyone else of voting age does so you have as much say as anyone else.

How would it?  Genuine question.

I realise if a Brexit and subsequent Scottish independence, then entry would need to be negotiated - I would assume such terms would be put before the Scottish electorate to ratify - but not sure how Brussels would have more say over Scotland than Westminster already does.

For example Brussels cant demand we keep Trident at Faslane.

How would it?  Genuine question.

I realise if a Brexit and subsequent Scottish independence, then entry would need to be negotiated - I would assume such terms would be put before the Scottish electorate to ratify - but not sure how Brussels would have more say over Scotland than Westminster already does.

Why does it matter that it's at Faslane rather than on the Tyne or Mersey? It's never going to be used anyway, it's there to dissuade the likes of Russia, and it does.

jack D and coke

Why does it matter that it's at Faslane rather than on the Tyne or Mersey? It's never going to be used anyway, it's there to dissuade the likes of Russia, and it does.

That wasn't his point though was it.

If it is never going to be used, how can it dissuade anyone?

But as JD&Coke has pointed out, my point was that if Scotland doesn't want nukes, we are powerless to prevent their being stored on our territory.

If the English didn't hate us before the rise of the SNP then they most certainly do now and who could blame them.

who gives a flying f what the english think about us ? 

Fort Vallance

The SNP MPs in Westminster have one ultimate aim and that is that Scotland becomes independent (obviously). They will do everything in their power to undermine the government and make things as difficult as possible for them as long as it suits their pro-independence agenda.

Exactly as I see it.

It's a perfectly valid stance and arguement if you ask me. Even if you disagree with it, and the underlying objective (if there even is one) it's hardly embarrassing.

If the underlying objective is to make a nuisance of themselves to gain benefit for Scotland politically or economically, then I'm all for it, seeing as how I live and work in Scotland.

They were, in fact, overwhelmingly put there by the Scottish electorate, most of whom, I dare say, will be delighted that they are getting involved in 'nonsense like this' and representing Scotlands interests in a manner previously unheard of. It's great stuff.

We may well be heading for an era that is actually better than independence politically and economically i.e. Most of the benefits. None of the risk.

Well said. Yes i think the Nawbags seem to forget that the SNP politicians doon at Westminster were elected. !! 

How would it? Genuine question.

They already tell you when to fish and that you can't sell straight bananas because they don't look like bananas. They tell you that you can't have a vacuum cleaner more powerful than 1800w and they've made your white gloss paint yellow.

Don't fool yourself into thinking that an independent Scotland would have bargaining power with Brussels. Scotland would need the EU far more than the EU would need it. You would be Angela Merkels bitch.

If the English want devolution they should have it.

As it stands Westminster is the UK parliament. English MPs should not be allowed to treat Westminster as an English

parliament. Until such time as England has it's own devolved parliament all UK MPs

should be allowed to vote on affairs raised in Westminster.

If the English want devolution they should have it.

As it stands Westminster is the UK parliament. English MPs should not be allowed to treat Westminster as an English

parliament. Until such time as England has it's own devolved parliament all UK MPs

should be allowed to vote on affairs raised in Westminster.

If the English didn't hate us before the rise of the SNP then they most certainly do now and who could blame them.

:laugh4:

Scotland is a glorious and deeply confused country. Personally looking forward to independence so we can at least cut out this stage of bickering - i.e. If we are, or are not, capable of being in charge of our own affairs. Takes quite an effort to get past this and onto important matters.

AWW GTF wi yer "The English hate us" pish eh

Perfect.

100% true.

They already tell you when to fish and that you can't sell straight bananas because they don't look like bananas. They tell you that you can't have a vacuum cleaner more powerful than 1800w and they've made your white gloss paint yellow.

Don't fool yourself into thinking that an independent Scotland would have bargaining power with Brussels. Scotland would need the EU far more than the EU would need it. You would be Angela Merkels bitch.

If the EU didn't have a fisheries policy, then the national government would, so not sure it's that bad a thing?

Wasn't it bent bananas?  But was actually nonsense https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commission_Regulation_(EC)_No._2257/94 

Vacuum cleaners - save the planet, no?  Not a big deal, IMO

Paint - white paint looks like white paint to me.  But apparently gloss yellows, reduced solvents or something.  Has this been enacted for environmental reasons?

All of the above seem pretty trivial, to be honest.

Whilst the EU needs reforming, it seems to be it has done more good than harm.  

If the EU didn't have a fisheries policy, then the national government would, so not sure it's that bad a thing?

Wasn't it bent bananas?  But was actually nonsense https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commission_Regulation_(EC)_No._2257/94 

Vacuum cleaners - save the planet, no?  Not a big deal, IMO

Paint - white paint looks like white paint to me.  But apparently gloss yellows, reduced solvents or something.  Has this been enacted for environmental reasons?

Correct. The Prime Minister has been negotiating new terms and is campaigning for the UK to remain a Member State of the European Union. Will the First Minister campaign with him?

Correct. The Prime Minister has been negotiating new terms and is campaigning for the UK to remain a Member State of the European Union. Will the First Minister campaign with him?

Probably not because Cameron is an arsehole.  And who would want to be tainted by being associated to an arsehole?  I also think that the PM's negotiations are very limited and dont address the fundamental flaws with the EU as it is.

One can wish to remain in the EU, but for completely different reasons to those expressed by someone else, equally the same can be said about leaving.  Could you have imagined if Bob Crowe was still with us that he would share a platform with Farage or Johnson?

Ibrahim Tall

Does it? They're still in Crimea, and still in Syria despite is protesting both decisions while 'backed' with trident. On top of that they're still flying Nuclear bombers to the edge of British airspace in mock attacks on a regular basis. I can't see how trident is deterring Russia anymore than Germany or Italy are without.

Auld Reekin'

Perfect.

100% true.

Aye, there's nothing worse than a sore winner...

who gives a flying f what the english think about us ? 

People who don't have a giant chip on their shoulder and actually really like the English?

Wasn't it bent bananas? But was actually nonsense https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commission_Regulation_(EC)_No._2257/94

Vacuum cleaners - save the planet, no? Not a big deal, IMO

Paint - white paint looks like white paint to me. But apparently gloss yellows, reduced solvents or something. Has this been enacted for environmental reasons?

I disagree and think that much of it and lot more is quite relevant to us. Bananas were only used as an example. There are plenty other fruit and veg with daft regulations. We should have regulations for things, but they should be ours.

Frankie Boyle is bar far and away the biggest skin crawl on the planet.  An utterly vile man who makes my blood boil.  Makes jokes about disabled children and paedophilia pretty much for a living then likes to get all high and mighty.  Total ###### of the highest order.  Want nothing but misery for that kent!

Auld Reekin'

People who don't have a giant chip on their shoulder 

Frankie Boyle is bar far and away the biggest skin crawl on the planet.  An utterly vile man who makes my blood boil.  Makes jokes about disabled children and paedophilia pretty much for a living then likes to get all high and mighty.  Total ###### of the highest order.  Want nothing but misery for that kent!

:illogical:  :gok:  :kirklol:  :groundhog:

So the SNP want to protect the Sunday pay rates for workers forced to work in large stores on a Sunday.

My understanding (happy to be corrected BTW) is that if the vote to change the Sunday trading laws in England are passed then Sunday will just be another "standard" trading day like a Tuesday or a Wednesday.

Scottish MP's protecting Scottish workers rights? Is that it?

Whatever next?

Aye, that is embarrassing right enough!

:spoton:

:illogical:  :gok:  :kirklol:  :groundhog:

I don't have a chip on my shoulder over Frankie Boyle.  I don't feel hard done by by Frankie Boyle at all (which is what the saying means). I just despise the kent.

Nice try tho.

Auld Reekin'

I don't have a chip on my shoulder over Frankie Boyle.  I don't feel hard done by by Frankie Boyle at all (which is what the saying means). I just despise the kent.

Nice try tho.

OK, just about everything and everyone else then.

OK, just about everything and everyone else then.

I don't feel hard done by anyone I hate really.  Well except the utter bitch hoor of an ex girlfriend of mine. That chip would supply McCains for a decade.

I disagree and think that much of it and lot more is quite relevant to us. Bananas were only used as an example. There are plenty other fruit and veg with daft regulations. We should have regulations for things, but they should be ours.

I guess if you agree to be part of a single market, then there will be universal regulations.  I would also imagine that in the European Parliament and Council of Ministers, the UK representatives are working hard to create concensus with our European allies?  So in a way, they are "ours"?

I don't feel hard done by anyone I hate really.  Well except the utter bitch hoor of an ex girlfriend of mine. That chip would supply McCains for a decade.

medd_01_img0054.jpg

Jambo-Jimbo

It's a perfectly valid stance and arguement if you ask me. Even if you disagree with it, and the underlying objective (if there even is one) it's hardly embarrassing.

If the underlying objective is to make a nuisance of themselves to gain benefit for Scotland politically or economically, then I'm all for it, seeing as how I live and work in Scotland.

They were, in fact, overwhelmingly put there by the Scottish electorate, most of whom, I dare say, will be delighted that they are getting involved in 'nonsense like this' and representing Scotlands interests in a manner previously unheard of. It's great stuff.

We may well be heading for an era that is actually better than independence politically and economically i.e. Most of the benefits. None of the risk.

I would tend to agree with your post.

For far to long Scottish MP's had to vote along party lines, whether that vote was to the benefit of Scotland or not, they did what their paymasters in Westminster told them to do.

Mr. Cameron stated during the referendum that Scotland should stay within the union and make it's voice heard in Westminster, well isn't that very thing happening.

The Scottish MP's are perfectly entitled to vote on issues which don't directly effect Scotland, just the same as English MP's can vote on Scottish issues which don't directly effect them.

However this is somehow seen as an SNP embarrassment, no it's not an embarrassment it's democracy.

HaymarketJambo

Didn't English MPs vote on Scottish maters for year's at Westminster?

The wanted us to remain a part of the UK, Better together remember.  

that will be why Nicola Sturgeon is the most popular politician in Britain then and English people are constantly asking why they can't vote SNP. But don't you let the facts get in the way

Archived