Old Edinburgh Shops From Yesteryear

Rudi-Robertson

J.T.F.Robertson

Usher's brewery was the last job for me before coming over here, stock control in their wines and spirits department.

Had some laughs with the characters who worked in the warehouse, what a bunch.

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• luckyBatistuta

• The Real Maroonblood

• ¼½¾

going for a paper at the top o Broughton street , Gordon saying "you can get a cut through the back" Graham Souness s brothers newsagent :qqb007:

Maurice Pollock Sports Shop, Haymarket right at the bottom of Dalry Road.

Never go into town anymore, but before shopping malls, you would shop in boutiques in Cockburn Street (Sunset Boulevard was one).

Cant remember what the shops were just down from the ABC on Lothian Road

BW Tache  mentioned the Style card, think everybody got one at 18, never been out of debt since. :(

Was there a Cowans Fashions?  I remember buying staypress in a shop down that way, about 1982.

Usher's brewery was the last job for me before coming over here, stock control in their wines and spirits department.

Had some laughs with the characters who worked in the warehouse, what a bunch.

When I first started at Braid Place there used to be a watering can of beer delivered from Ushers for the night shift station sergeants refreshment. As I say, it was often heard Polis yer daft, but the truth is they werenae really. :bobby:

Samuel Camazzola

P&D Windows near Minto Hotel.

Safeway in Cameron Toll.

InterSport in Cameron Toll and St James Centre.

Paninari (sp) on South Bridge.

Our Price in Cameron Toll.

Sporting Times in Waverley Centre.

NEC on North Bridge next to Argos.

Olympus Sports on Princes Street.

Cecil Gee on Frederick Street.

Fosters in Cameron Toll.

Jam Tarts 1874

Thinking specifically about Dalry Road there was Thompson's Sports, Quo Vadis the chippy, Strachan's toy shop, Purdies' the buthers, Paul's the chemist.  On Gorgie Road I remember a shop that just sold bags, the original Hearts shop, Alan Anderson's shop.

I notice someone already mentioned Lillywhites, the other shop I remember for sports on Princes Street was in Forsyths (now Top Man etc), they were so old fashioned, used to send your money around the store in the old vacum tubes, but they always had every Subuteo team.

Lots of record shops mentioned already, but I used to like Virgin on Rose Street.

Alwaysmaroon

Great thread, I remember the wee shop on Gorgie road that sold the punk badges. Then you could nip over the road to Topsport for Hearts badges. They used to make them there and then. Your own name with superfan on it. There was a shop up the bridges that sold second hand American gear, levis and baseball jackets etc

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Great thread, I remember the wee shop on Gorgie road that sold the punk badges. Then you could nip over the road to Topsport for Hearts badges. They used to make them there and then. Your own name with superfan on it. There was a shop up the bridges that sold second hand American gear, levis and baseball jackets etc

Flip! That was my favourite shop when I was younger. Used to spend endless hours raking about there with my flat top from Sandy's!

There's still one in Newcastle!

http://www.flipvintage.com/about-us/

Edited by Brian Whittakers Tache

On St Johns Road you had Thomsons's sports, a toy shop that began with G that a I can't remember near the Centurion, Willie Lows, The Duchess, Ormistons, Woolies, and Azad.

Toxteth O'Grady

Fernies of Darly - sports shop that also sold other stuff like trains sets,

A wee toy shop on Gorgie Road between Sams and the Church - Mr Bomax ?

Lilliewhites sports shop in Princess street - used to sell the rugby tickets 

dalkeithjambo

Does anyone remember Pancake place (or pancake palace) at the west end?

I think it must have been back in the 80s when I used to go there. Loved it.

brattisani chippy at Haymarket is another ;)

Was waiting for someone to say Brattisani's, although I frequented the restaurant in Newington. Great fish and chips.

There used to be on Cockburn Street (off Royal Mile) a shop called Mamma Said. Off licence, used to sell bevvy to under-agers like us without even blinking.

Don't know if it's still there.

Still going strong!

Sure they've got another branch too but can't remember where.

There was a wee shop off Cockburn Street down Fleshmarket Close that also used to make up badges on the spot but I can't remember it's name. Gilzeans rings a bell though.

On St Johns Road you had Thomsons's sports, a toy shop that began with G that a I can't remember near the Centurion.

Galt toys I think, my mum bought me a womble hand puppet there in the late 70s.

Toy shop down Leith Walk that was great for train sets and Scalectrix, maybe called Trumps.

Edit: Might have been Hornsbys.

Double edit: Just saw online that there is a Harburn Hobbies on Elm Row - That might be the one.

Edited by graygo

Tommy Brown

Fernies of Darly - sports shop that also sold other stuff like trains sets,

A wee toy shop on Gorgie Road between Sams and the Church - Mr Bomax ?

Lilliewhites sports shop in Princess street - used to sell the rugby tickets 

Used that shop to buy all my Subbuteo teams in the mid 70's, ahhh..the blissful days

Used that shop to buy all my Subbuteo teams in the mid 70's, ahhh..the blissful days

Ralph Mccluskey's in Dalkeith was the place for Subbuteo.

Does anyone remember Pancake place (or pancake palace) at the west end?

I think it must have been back in the 80s when I used to go there. Loved it.

Loved that. There was one in Dumfries too.

Nookie Bear

There was a cracking football programme on Bread Street a few years back...name escapes me.

As does the name of the retro, American-style, clothes shop on the bridges. It may still be there as I rarely venture up there these days.

Hector Riva

Proud to say that my me and my mates were the the first customers 40+ years ago in the Barbeque Chippie on Glasgow road.

The wee skinny  one. Owned by 2 italian blokes Big guy and wee guy (Aldo?).

Stood outside waiting for it to open.Asked them if they had any jobs. The wee guy still owned it the last time I was in .

He still remembers me to this day because I still ask him if he has any jobs. Im 56 now lol.

Closed down for a while because it went on fire. The wig shop next door.

The Neuk newsagent Corstorphine road. I used to do papers out of there.

The Duchess. You had to have a note from your Maw to by fags.

If he bloke owner didnt sell us any then we would buy a wee round tub of ice cream,go outside the shop take the cardboard lid off and use it to smear Ice cream all over his shop windae.

Redafusion tv shop and boots the chemist at the other end of Corrie.Woolies in the midddle.

What was the name of the Gents clothes shop oppisite the Oak Inn?  

Oh Me and my mate were also the first customers of The Mid yoken.Was it Bert DAgostina that was the boss. We told him It was for my mates 18th birthday.

We were all 15 and 16 .  Great days indeed

Crackin Thread.Thanks

Edited by Hector Riva

Seymour M Hersh

There's so many that have gone! 

Don Ray toy shop on Morningside Road used have toys I could only dream about when I were a lad.

Army & Navy store half way down the Waverley Steps

Keenans at Blackhall (mini market) where I saw a bottle of booze called WhiskyMac (iirc) part whisky part wine!!! Was much too young t booze then.

Buchanan & Calders another mini supermarket but more upmarket (Blackhall & Queensferry St lane).

Dunn's menswear on Princes Street.

Ernie Page Motorcycles n Yeaman Place.

Bruce's Records in Rose Street (and latterly Shandwick Place).

Gordon Simpsons Musical Instruments in Stafford Street.

Rudi-Robertson

Proud to say that my me and my mates were the the first customers 40+ years ago in the Barbeque Chippie on Glasgow road.

The wee skinny one. Owned by 2 italian blokes Big guy and wee guy (Aldo?).

Stood outside waiting for it to open.Asked them if they had any jobs. The wee guy still owned it the last time I was in .

He still remembers me to this day because I still ask him if he has any jobs. Im 56 now lol.

Closed down for a while because it went on fire. The wig shop next door.

The Neuk newsagent Corstorphine road. I used to do papers out of there.

The Duchess. You had to have a note from your Maw to by fags.

If he bloke owner didnt sell us any then we would buy a wee round tub of ice cream,go outside the shop take the cardboard lid off and use it to smear Ice cream all over his shop windae.

Redafusion tv shop and boots the chemist at the other end of Corrie.Woolies in the midddle.

What was the name of the Gents clothes shop oppisite the Oak Inn?

Oh Me and my mate were also the first customers of The Mid yoken.Was it Bert DAgostina that was the boss. We told him It was for my mates 18th birthday.

We were all 15 and 16 . Great days indeed

Crackin Thread.Thanks

Coming back from away games years ago there was always a handful of folk who would get off the bus to join the already very long que in the Barbecue. To this day I've still never tried it even after saying every time I was on the bus "I'll need to try it one of these times"

Brilliant shout for Flip of Hollywood. My imagination used to run riot in there looking at all the genuine US retro gear and wondering about the stories those clothes could tell. And they sold black and white hair wax too.

Sefton the furriers in Marchmont Road was where I also got my animal skin apparel.Just down from the flat I was baptised in.

I'm trying to remember the name of the Indian restaurant in Dalry Road just opposite Dicken's. I know it was Mrs something but it's doing my head in not be able to remember the name.

I'm trying to remember the name of the Indian restaurant in Dalry Road just opposite Dicken's. I know it was Mrs something but it's doing my head in not be able to remember the name.

Was it something like Mrs Una's

Mrs Unis was it not?

That sounds more like it.  It was called Nadia's before that.

I remember going to Caseys in St Mary's Street on the way back to school after dinner and always stopping off for a chocolate frog. Kleinbergs in East cross causeway wasalways good for rolls on a Sunday especially when Irvines were shut. Like earlier posters I also remember Mr Swann at Boroughmuir a very good maths teacher.Also being dragged to the store in Bread St to get kitted out for the new school year seemed to be an annual event.

J.T.F.Robertson

That sounds more like it.  It was called Nadia's before that.

I remember Nadia's, pakora with the red vinegary sauce. Used to drink what was left.

Blethering to a guy at a wedding in Poland at Christmas and his Dad used to own Sports Conscious and Everything Adidas in town.

I remember cutting about in my gear from Smiths Menswear. They used to dress all the Hearts players at the time. I think Ive only just paid off the Style Card I spent ?500 on!!

Sandy's at the bottom of Broughton Street for a quality flat top!!

Started by some guys from Herriots - one was called Fraser Dall IIRC. 

Some cracking memories coming back from these posts.

I give you King Hero - Thistle St. Best burgers in town and sunk without trace when McDs opened. Sad day.

That model shop on Leith Walk , by the (then ?) bridge. Harburn Hobbies ?

Virgin records.

That weird hippy trippy shop on Cockburn St.

The old shops on what is now the St James Centre.

The Milk Bar on St Andrews Sq.

luckyBatistuta, on 04 Mar 2016 - 9:00 PM, said:

Boroughmuir ???

and now that I've mentioned schools?your primary school having its own pool :smugger:

Was at Abbeyhill primary, was never out of the baths there. God , did I really leave there in 1966?

In Forrest Rd opposite Sandy Bell's there used to be an indoor market (now turned into a drinking emporium) that had a 2nd hand record store. I would spend all my spare time and money, when I attended Uni in Chambers Street, on buying obscure vinyl of Ametican bands that nobody had heard of.

Around the corner there was a joke shop, I would spend ages as a lad with my nose pushed up against the window.

St Cuthbert's and The Leith Provident amalgamated under the Co-op banner. 27638 was my granny's St Cuthbert's number. I would be sent shopping down Henderson Row.

luckyBatistuta, on 05 Mar 2016 - 11:45 AM, said:

Spookerection?not sure if that's how it was spelt :lol:

That was the name of the company that ran the  open-air market at Ingliston.

The Earl of Lemongrab, on 06 Mar 2016 - 12:18 PM, said:

Was it something like Mrs Una's

It was Nadia's, smell used to be amazing. I had my first flat in Orwell Place (Toly Alley) in the mid-70's

In Forrest Rd opposite Sandy Bell's there used to be an indoor market (now turned into a drinking emporium) that had a 2nd hand record store. I would spend all my spare time and money, when I attended Uni in Chambers Street, on buying obscure vinyl of Ametican bands that nobody had heard of.

Around the corner there was a joke shop, I would spend ages as a lad with my nose pushed up against the window.

St Cuthbert's and The Leith Provident amalgamated under the Co-op banner. 27638 was my granny's St Cuthbert's number. I would be sent shopping down Henderson Row.

That would have been in the Oddfellows hall. I worked in The Bank of Scotland Forrest road in 1973-74.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Ralph Mccluskey's in Dalkeith was the place for Subbuteo.

Great shop. Dalkeith was a great wee town, then - I remember my mum taking me to Manchester House (now W H Smiths) when I was a toddler.

I grew up in the Abbeyhill colonies 1955-1976. Some shops I remember:

Melody Maker record shop on London Road (in the basement of Harris's Electrical shop, where I bought my first ever record. It was She loves you by the beatles cost me 6/8d (34p now)

The Blue beat club in the shop next door with the curved window.

Wishing well caf? on Cadzow Place

On Easter road

The Eastway picture house (now Iceland)

Birrells sweetie shop next door. The Lodge Waverley above them both.

Pirrets toy shop further down Easter road just before Albion Road, Had an amazing curved window where we used to press our snottery noses against.

Smith's the Grocers, wonderful shop, all male assistants in white coats & hats, barrel shaped kegs of butter, huge slabs of cheese cut with a lethal-looking cheese wire, huge cuts of cooked meats.

Bobbies bookshop where I used to chore comics, later worked with the son of the guy who owned it.

Bowdens tailors & hire shop (still there amazingly)

Jimmy Bissetts paper shop on London Road where I worked as a paper boy.

Walter Dryburgh's off licence next to the Eastway, queues out the door & down the street at new Year.

I clearly recall the "buzz" about Abbeyhill & Easter road on a Saturday morning, as the place was very busy with wee wimmen with their wee shopping bags over their arms, getting their "messages"..happy days!

Edited by argyjambo

I think it was a distant relation of mine (maybe 2nd cousin, whatever that is :)) called Eric, who had that record store.  I spoke to him at a funeral a few years ago and he was still dealing in records, only online now.