Old Edinburgh Shops From Yesteryear

Rudi-Robertson

Harry Potter
12 minutes ago, otterjohn said:

Can anyone remember a joke shop in Gorgie in the 60s Im sure it was called Bomax

Dont remember that, is the pet shop still on gorgie road, mind i was in there one day and an Armadillo or similar was running round the shop😅

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• luckyBatistuta

• The Real Maroonblood

• ¼½¾

Harry Potter

How many fuel stations have now gone, Esso at barnton annd glasgow road, gulf glasgow road,

shell opposite the zoo, i think, Texaco at roseburn, BP at rainbow, i think a jet opposite the zoo as well, could be wrong.

Garage next to police station, well gone.

BP at parkgrove.

the general
13 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Smiths clothes shop in bread street, paid 100 pounds in 1980 for a leather jacket, lovely soft leather.

Had a shop at The Tron too

The Real Maroonblood
13 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Smiths clothes shop in bread street, paid 100 pounds in 1980 for a leather jacket, lovely soft leather.

That must’ve been before you got married. 😀

That’s about £500.00 at today’s value.

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

That must’ve been before you got married. 😀

That’s about £500.00 at today’s value.

Spot on bud.

Harry Potter
1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

👍

Been there as well.

just remembered odd bins in corstorphine, loads of different beers, wines, loved a walk round there.

The Real Maroonblood
38 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

just remembered odd bins in corstorphine, loads of different beers, wines, loved a walk round there.

Didn’t know that one.

5 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Still an Oddbins in Queensferry Street.

luckyBatistuta
7 hours ago, the general said:

Had a shop at The Tron too

My mate worked in that one. He was given a really good discount on the clothes, but it was on the understanding he was buying them to wear at work, still managed to get some clobber though😁

luckyBatistuta

Wasn’t a shop, but a restaurant. I miss the Heavenly Chinese restaurant on Morningside road, was just reminiscing with a passenger a couple of days ago about it, as they missed it too.

Lone Striker
8 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

I remember that one - the shop is now Mimi's cafe bakehouse now.

Smiths clothing shop opposite the junction with Clermiston Road was quite impressive - the Mens and Womens has separate entrances.   I think it was a Canadian couple who ran it, and sold up when they retired, just as online sales of clothes & shoes were starting to take off.

Douglas Banks had a unique shop further west along Corstorphine Road on the same side - a mix of ironmongery, home decor &  lighting, wall paintings and general nick-nacks.  You could probably have bought fork handles there. 😃   They closed down in the late 90s I think - the shop is either the Dunbar Funeral Director or McColls next door now.

And of course, there was the wonder of good old Woolies in Corstorphine too - long lamented.

Fxxx the SPFL
14 hours ago, otterjohn said:

Can anyone remember a joke shop in Gorgie in the 60s Im sure it was called Bomax

Lived in gorgie from 1957 until 1978 the only joke shop I can remember was Mev Taylor’s at Haymarket 

Thorntons Sports shop off George Street. Liked having a look around there. Positive Ronnie Simpson was working there. Remember buying classic Adidas waterproofs and club pennants for Barcelona and St Etienne. Shop was upstairs or on two levels. Huge poster of Cruyff  on the wall on way up.the stairs.

Sure my mate Tubby stole some stuff. Typical Hibby

Harry Potter
10 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

I remember that one - the shop is now Mimi's cafe bakehouse now.

Smiths clothing shop opposite the junction with Clermiston Road was quite impressive - the Mens and Womens has separate entrances.   I think it was a Canadian couple who ran it, and sold up when they retired, just as online sales of clothes & shoes were starting to take off.

Douglas Banks had a unique shop further west along Corstorphine Road on the same side - a mix of ironmongery, home decor &  lighting, wall paintings and general nick-nacks.  You could probably have bought fork handles there. 😃   They closed down in the late 90s I think - the shop is either the Dunbar Funeral Director or McColls next door now.

And of course, there was the wonder of good old Woolies in Corstorphine too - long lamented.

smiths son was in my technical drawing class, lows where i worked when still at school was just along a bit, woolies got my gym rubbers there lol.

been here before
10 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

Lived in gorgie from 1957 until 1978 the only joke shop I can remember was Mev Taylor’s at Haymarket 

Wasnt Mev Taylors a music shop?

23 minutes ago, been here before said:

Yes. The magic and fancy dress shop was on the corner opposite but I can’t remember what it was called. 

Edited by Tazio

Fxxx the SPFL
29 minutes ago, been here before said:

Cheers I thought he did joke stuff as well age catching up with me lol

10 hours ago, Riccarton3 said:

Thorntons Sports shop off George Street. Liked having a look around there. Positive Ronnie Simpson was working there. Remember buying classic Adidas waterproofs and club pennants for Barcelona and St Etienne. Shop was upstairs or on two levels. Huge poster of Cruyff  on the wall on way up.the stairs.

Got my tickets for the Scotland v Spain Nations Cup qualifier from Thorntons back in 1974/75.

Ron Burgundy
16 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Wasn’t a shop, but a restaurant. I miss the Heavenly Chinese restaurant on Morningside road, was just reminiscing with a passenger a couple of days ago about it, as they missed it too.

Was that the one right opposite The Merlin? If so it was very good.

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Was that the one right opposite The Merlin? If so it was very good.

The very one, still the best one I’ve been in to this day and that’s going way back too. I reckon that shut down around 30 years ago.

15 hours ago, Tazio said:

It was a sad day for Edinburgh when Grays on George Street closed. 

There was a very upmarket deli at the Charlotte Square end of George street too. Used to take luncheon vouchers back in the eighties. Wish I could remember it’s name.

Ron Burgundy
2 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

The very one, still the best one I’ve been in to this day and that’s going way back too. I reckon that shut down around 30 years ago.

My old man wouldn't see past The Silver Bowl at the top of Comiston Road. I think it's still there as a takeaway only and half the size as the other half was turned into an Indian takeaway. I remember having my first sit in there, only a few tables as it was totty and Ally Brazil the Hibs pin up was in.

There was a lady had a small shop in Viewforth opposite Horne Terrace, it was a regular venue for Boroughmuir students who went there to buy candy and have a Vantas. Im suspect the bulk of her daily sales was the lunch time surge of hungry children.

luckyBatistuta
19 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

My old man wouldn't see past The Silver Bowl at the top of Comiston Road. I think it's still there as a takeaway only and half the size as the other half was turned into an Indian takeaway. I remember having my first sit in there, only a few tables as it was totty and Ally Brazil the Hibs pin up was in.

:lol:

7 hours ago, Tazio said:

Yes. The magic and fancy dress shop was on the corner opposite but I can’t remember what it was called. 

Monkey Business

On 31/03/2022 at 07:48, otterjohn said:

Was Bomax not the toy shop next to the TSB?

Sold small soldiers, cavalry ,indians etc,models and fireworks

51 minutes ago, sinks said:

Was Bomax not the toy shop next to the TSB?

Sold small soldiers, cavalry ,indians etc,models and fireworks

i do remember it sold stuff like that Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

After playing football me and my mates seen Boston senior and his 2 sons running out of the Old Salt bar on Leith walk (next door to his shop Boston's) being chased by 6 guys. After pulling out a small pistol he then pulled out a sword and fought them off till the cops arrived.

A book came out about his life a few years ago and it's well worth a read. Its all about kidnap, torture, diamond running, drugs and murder.

Cut-Throat: The Vicious World of Rod McLean - Mercenary, Gun-Runner and International Drug Baron

• 1 year later...
Ray Bonis ice cream
On 11/03/2016 at 01:38, Sydney said:

Sweets Service in Eyre Place.  I was chosen as one of the kids who could go and help choose the sweets for a school trip once (1984?).  Had my first taste of Appletize there as they were handing out free tasters.  Big old church it was.  Became a doctors surgery.

• 1 month later...

I’m looking for the name of a sports shop that was (I think) on either Meadow Place or Roseneath Place about 1000 years ago.

Can anyone help?

@Stuart Lyon ?

Perth to Paisley
On 31/03/2022 at 22:54, Riccarton3 said:

Ronnie Simpson had his own shop in Rose Street 

14 minutes ago, Perth to Paisley said:

Ronnie Simpson had his own shop in Rose Street 

He did indeed.

Almost next door to Scott’s Bar.

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, Morgan said:

I’m looking for the name of a sports shop that was (I think) on either Meadow Place or Roseneath Place about 1000 years ago.

Can anyone help?

@Stuart Lyon ?

Would it have potentially been a branch of Colin Campbell Sports? They had a few stores scattered about back in the day. 

26 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Would it have potentially been a branch of Colin Campbell Sports? They had a few stores scattered about back in the day. 

No, that wasn’t it, Sam.  :sad: 

Thank you very much for your response though, good of you.

Samuel Camazzola
7 hours ago, Morgan said:

No, that wasn’t it, Sam.  :sad: 

Thank you very much for your response though, good of you.

👍 

1 hour ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Here's the shop i its current state

Sorry can't recall its name as a sports shop

Shop.png

Thanks, Stuart.

That certainly looks like the right shop.  It came to my mind last night that it was maybe called ‘Sports Conscious’ but I can’t find it on Google.

Could you perhaps have a wee search for me?

Thanks

manaliveits105
On 31/03/2022 at 21:58, **** the SPFL said:

Bomax was a toy shop 

Fxxx the SPFL
1 hour ago, manaliveits105 said:

Bomax was a toy shop 

Christ that’s a blast from the past was that opposite White Park

Stuart Lyon
1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Thanks, Stuart.

That certainly looks like the right shop.  It came to my mind last night that it was maybe called ‘Sports Conscious’ but I can’t find it on Google.

Could you perhaps have a wee search for me?

Thanks

Spooky Morgan. Just before coming on here just now I asked my wife if she remembered the name but she didn't. Then I said was it Sports Conscious and she thinks it was. I'm sure they also had a shop opposite the Botanics.

3 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Spooky Morgan. Just before coming on here just now I asked my wife if she remembered the name but she didn't. Then I said was it Sports Conscious and she thinks it was. I'm sure they also had a shop opposite the Botanics.

The shop opposite the Botanics was a Colin Campbell shop. So maybe he bought the business out as I seem to remember it being a Sports Conscious. We were recommended it by our secondary school for branded kit when I was in 1st year which was late 70’s. 

Lone Striker
15 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Colin Campbell Sports had a branch at Canonmills ....... maybe that the one @Stuart Lyon is thinking of ?

There used to be 2 branches of the Royal Bank on St John’s Rd - Corstorphine East and Corstorphine West.  Lucky that there’s still one.

Stuart Lyon
28 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Colin Campbell Sports had a branch at Canonmills ....... maybe that the one @Stuart Lyon is thinking of ?

This is the shop I mentioned. No 12 Inverleith Row.

Shop Inverleith Row.png