Kodi again

Unknown user

I suppose it's got a HDD slot so you can download films and tv stuff plus you can get emulators for old Nintendo games etc. I haven't used mine for that though and only really bought it to compare it to my AFTV.

Tbh both boxes work brilliantly there's nowt in it. AFTV is cheaper, smaller, sleeker so if price is an issue then get that. You can't go wrong with either box though.

Thanks a lot buddy. T8 is on amazon for ?89 at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rudolf's Mate

• jack D and coke

• Unknown user

• AlimOzturk

jack D and coke

Thanks a lot buddy. T8 is on amazon for ?89 at the moment.

Post a link up for me to see pal.

It can handle it but there's always issues with sticks I've found.

Just get a box and be done with it really is my advice. AFTV or T8 can handle everything with ease. Get one of them and you won't ever really have any issues.

Mate I doubt there is a person here who hasn't had issues regardless of stick or box it's the nature of the technology. Since I've went vanilla with kodi I've not had a single issue and plays hd flawlessly. No doubt an issue will arise at some point but that's the same for all of us. I just find it lazy advice to blame the stick and say get a box. Yes the boxes are better but the sticks have a place and shouldn't be discounted or instantly blamed when someone has a problem. Edited by Dazo

jack D and coke

Mate I doubt there is a person here who hasn't had issues regardless of stick or box it's the nature of the technology. Since I've went vanilla with kodi I've not had a single issue and plays hd flawlessly. No doubt an issue will arise at some point but that's the same for all of us. I just find it lazy advice to blame the stick and say get a box. Yes the boxes are better but the sticks have a place and shouldn't be discounted or instantly blamed when someone has a problem.

I've set up dozens upon dozens of sticks and boxes. Not one person has come back one that got a box but almost everybody who has a stick has.

I think that says it all.

If you're a wee bit tech savvy then obviously that helps resolve little issues and normally that's all they are but I can't understand why people try to do it on the super cheap when for only ?70-?80 and it's done.

?1000 TVs and then buy a ?30 stick?

Silly imo.

jack D and coke

DroidBOX T8-S Plus with IR DualBoot Fully Loaded Android 5.1.1 and LibreELEC Kodi 16.3 TV BOX Quad Core CPU 32GB Rom 4K Ultra HD Smart TV Streamer https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B018P9YEH2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_uaJDybTEMVC0A

It's a good enough box but that's the older T8 which doesn't have the HDD slot. There's been two new versions of the T8 since then.

It'll work good enough but if it's a choice between that one or the AFTV then AFTV box hands down mate.

It's a good enough box but that's the older T8 which doesn't have the HDD slot. There's been two new versions of the T8 since then.

It'll work good enough but if it's a choice between that one or the AFTV then AFTV box hands down mate.

AFTV it is.

They're out of stock on amazon but may try pick one up on the way home this evening.

jack D and coke

AFTV it is.

They're out of stock on amazon but may try pick one up on the way home this evening.

Good choice mate.

I've set up dozens upon dozens of sticks and boxes. Not one person has come back one that got a box but almost everybody who has a stick has.

I think that says it all.

If you're a wee bit tech savvy then obviously that helps resolve little issues and normally that's all they are but I can't understand why people try to do it on the super cheap when for only ?70-?80 and it's done.

?1000 TVs and then buy a ?30 stick?

Silly imo.

I get it you don't like you don't like the sticks and its abundantly clear you can't see any other view. Why does it come down to money ? Maybe people like the discreetness of the stick, don't want another box under the tv especially the ugly efforts that seem to be kicking about, maybe they can't hard wire anyway. All I'm saying is they have a place. If every single one you have installed comes back with problems maybe the problem is closer to home rather than the stick is shit rule you live by. Whacking a build on it then handing them out will always lead to problems.

jack D and coke

I get it you don't like you don't like the sticks and its abundantly clear you can't see any other view. Why does it come down to money ? Maybe people like the discreetness of the stick, don't want another box under the tv especially the ugly efforts that seem to be kicking about, maybe they can't hard wire anyway. All I'm saying is they have a place. If every single one you have installed comes back with problems maybe the problem is closer to home rather than the stick is shit rule you live by. Whacking a build on it then handing them out will always lead to problems.

I don't use builds on sticks.

Mate I doubt there is a person here who hasn't had issues regardless of stick or box it's the nature of the technology. Since I've went vanilla with kodi I've not had a single issue and plays hd flawlessly. No doubt an issue will arise at some point but that's the same for all of us. I just find it lazy advice to blame the stick and say get a box. Yes the boxes are better but the sticks have a place and shouldn't be discounted or instantly blamed when someone has a problem.

Had an Amazon Fire TV box since last year, Phoenix & Exodus for TV shows & Movies, Paid subscription to Sportsmania.eu, flawless. 

Rudolf's Mate

At the end of the day everyone has their own views largely based on their own experiences. There are also so many things that can impact the performance of these devices. You could also have the best device in the world however it'll only perform as good as the addon/streams themselves.

jack D and coke

At the end of the day everyone has their own views largely based on their own experiences. There are also so many things that can impact the performance of these devices. You could also have the best device in the world however it'll only perform as good as the addon/streams themselves.

Well exactly mate. Dazo obviously uses them without any problems but I'm sure he's fairly decent with tech stuff which a big advantage. Most of the issues are minor and can be fixed if you know what you're doing. I've had to try explain things to people over the phone that are clueless and it's always with these ******* sticks[emoji1]

If they work for you, great but nobody will convince me they aren't being a cheapskate getting a stick. Thinking I'll get all this free tv and sport for ?30! Bonus.

Had a wee go at this but you need an account, anyone got one and can confirm if it's good?

Aye seen that.. Not being the most tech savvy was kind of cautious. Cheers anyway.

Well exactly mate. Dazo obviously uses them without any problems but I'm sure he's fairly decent with tech stuff which a big advantage. Most of the issues are minor and can be fixed if you know what you're doing. I've had to try explain things to people over the phone that are clueless and it's always with these ******* sticks[emoji1]

If they work for you, great but nobody will convince me they aren't being a cheapskate getting a stick. Thinking I'll get all this free tv and sport for ?30! Bonus.

Guess how much this cheapskate paid for his raspberry pi!

Basically that's it in a nutshell. I'll never put something down as shit because some people can't get the best out of it. For the convenience I think they have a place it's a shame you think it's simply being a cheapskate. Edited by Dazo

Rudolf's Mate

I'm not quoting because my signal is terrible here and it keeps getting an error message....

I've previously slated the stick for various reasons however I've always pointed to a couple of factors. My issue seemed to be a weak wifi signal in my bedroom. Put the stick in my daughters bedroom downstairs and it saw a huge improvement. Zero issues streaming films/tv content however it did still have intermittent buffering issues with Mania.

I've given virtually every stick away to family (about 7) and every one of them that aren't into sports have said it's been perfect. Not going to lie I gave up asking the inlaws as I thought they were having me on whenever I asked.

I actually think the sticks worth ?30, especially if not watching sports however it does seem that they're more prone to issues however there's so many factors that can impact it.

If you get one and it works for you then brilliant. I'm just anal in that I like my devices to be wired.

When the newer stick comes out I'll get it simply because I want to see if it's an improvement.

That still what you use btw?

Yeah, I got given an android box but I just couldn't take to it, using a mouse got really annoying. By which I mean she didn't like using a mouse, and that got really annoying!

Since moving to a Pi2 (the Pi3 is the current and available at the same price) and installing LibreElec there really isn't a downside any more, performance is great, reliability is good and, above all else, the wife can use the normal tv remote with it.

I'll upgrade to a Pi3 one of these days but I'm very happy with the performance for now and I watch a lot of full 1080 online and local files without any problems at all.

It's also a multiboot machine, it can start up in LibreElec running Kodi, or Linux or a games emulator that I haven't got into yet.

Me & My Pi 4EVA

IDST

jack D and coke

Yeah, I got given an android box but I just couldn't take to it, using a mouse got really annoying. By which I mean she didn't like using a mouse, and that got really annoying!

Since moving to a Pi2 (the Pi3 is the current and available at the same price) and installing LibreElec there really isn't a downside any more, performance is great, reliability is good and, above all else, the wife can use the normal tv remote with it.

I'll upgrade to a Pi3 one of these days but I'm very happy with the performance for now and I watch a lot of full 1080 online and local files without any problems at all.

It's also a multiboot machine, it can start up in LibreElec running Kodi, or Linux or a games emulator that I haven't got into yet.

Me & My Pi 4EVA

IDST

Sounds decent. Well better than decent for that amount of money[emoji1360]

Sounds decent. Well better than decent for that amount of money[emoji1360]

They're amazing. I have one with 2 hard drives plugged in acting as a network drive and auto backup, another one with a hard drive plugged in running ownCloud, which is my own cloud storage I can access from anywhere and syncs photos etc automatically like dropbox. I'm thinking of setting one up as an SQL database so I can share and sync my Kodi library across devices but I'm moving house in a few weeks so I might come back to that. Love it!

I had similar issues with a m8 box, which may or may not relate. Kept emptying the cache to no avail. Everything I watch would cut off and return me to the lists after 30 minutes. Turns out the box is a wee bit sluggish for full HD content, so most things I watch on that box are now lower standard HD or SD content. Havent had the problem since. I wouldn't be convinced about a firestick handling full HD content very well so it may be worth a try watching lower definition stuff and see if it helps. Short of that, a clean install would be my next suggestion

If I recall correctly, the default amount of cache that kodi is setup to use is rather small due to it being used on many different powered devices. There is a way of modifying this but it involves editing the advanced XML file I think.

I've done it once and wasn't too complicated, just follow the usual guides on YouTube seomichael etc.

PS. This was on a laptop, don't know if it is more difficult on stick/box etc.

jack D and coke

New AFTV box purchased. Will give installing kodi and everything else a go shortly.

It's all easy enough. Plenty stuff on here if you go through it.

If you're stuck just ask mate.

One brilliant thing about the stick is if you are away in a hotel with good WIFI or if you are staying at the in-laws or family then you can bring with you, bung it into the telly and away you go.

Edited by AlimOzturk

It's all easy enough. Plenty stuff on here if you go through it.

If you're stuck just ask mate.

Cheers mate. Been using seo-michael's walk throughs a which are amazing. I know you need to 'sideload' on AFTV, sure he'll have a straight forward guide.

I'm planning on moving the cheap box - which to be fair has been pretty flawless even over wifi - into the bedroom. Question is, will ultimatemania work on both devices or would I need to buy another subscription? TBH, watch very little live tv in there anyway, will pretty much be exodus only.

I'm considering adding SALTS so I can build the library. I read that you use to be able to do it when exodus was genesis but they removed that function apparently.

jack D and coke

Cheers mate. Been using seo-michael's walk throughs a which are amazing. I know you need to 'sideload' on AFTV, sure he'll have a straight forward guide.

I'm planning on moving the cheap box - which to be fair has been pretty flawless even over wifi - into the bedroom. Question is, will ultimatemania work on both devices or would I need to buy another subscription? TBH, watch very little live tv in there anyway, will pretty much be exodus only.

I'm considering adding SALTS so I can build the library. I read that you use to be able to do it when exodus was genesis but they removed that function apparently.

You don't have to sideload kodi anymore if you go back a page or two rudolphs mate has posted a way to do it that I haven't tried yet but he said easy as.

UM will work on as many devices as you want but just don't log in on more than one at the same time or they block your account, or at least they say they will if they spot it.

Others have mentioned the library thing before MrMarkus being one.

Personally I use a trakt account and link it to my exodus, specto and salts. All easy to do.

You don't have to sideload kodi anymore if you go back a page or two rudolphs mate has posted a way to do it that I haven't tried yet but he said easy as.

UM will work on as many devices as you want but just don't log in on more than one at the same time or they block your account, or at least they say they will if they spot it.

Others have mentioned the library thing before MrMarkus being one.

Personally I use a trakt account and link it to my exodus, specto and salts. All easy to do.

Cheers again man. That's a bonus not having to sideload anymore.

Been using Tract for the last couple weeks. It's the mutts - the only benefit to building a library would be access offline and being able to customise the home menu more - although aeon nox skin and some widgets could do the same (I think).

Just followed Rudolph's Mate's advice from a couple pages back. It couldn't have been simpler. Literally about 30 seconds.

Extremely happy with the AFTV so far. I was impressed with my ?30 box but the difference in speed, picture quality, audio-visual syncing and everything else is definitely noticeable.

Highly recommend the AFTV to anyone looking. Took about 20 mins from unboxing to having exodus, real-debris, ultimatemania, on-tapp etc installed and fully customised kodi menu with tract links etc direct to custom tv show lists, EPG for live tv etc.

Still looking for an STV stream I can link on-tapp too though.

Cheers for all your advice Jack D & co.

jack D and coke

Just followed Rudolph's Mate's advice from a couple pages back. It couldn't have been simpler. Literally about 30 seconds.

Extremely happy with the AFTV so far. I was impressed with my ?30 box but the difference in speed, picture quality, audio-visual syncing and everything else is definitely noticeable.

Highly recommend the AFTV to anyone looking. Took about 20 mins from unboxing to having exodus, real-debris, ultimatemania, on-tapp etc installed and fully customised kodi menu with tract links etc direct to custom tv show lists, EPG for live tv etc.

The AFTV box is a cracking box. Happy days you've sussed it all out so easy.

Pretty sure STV is available via Filmon addon

Rudolf's Mate

It was that other poster that mentioned that way bud but fair play to him it was the easiest way I've done it.

Jack's right, it's an amazing box and you won't be disappointed.

One question! Were you lucky enough to get Kodi onto the main AFTV page [emoji3]

Rudolf's Mate

A few questions some might be able to answer....

There's a new Sony Kids app which covers on-demand content for Kix, Pop channels however it's only available on YouView. Does anyone know anything about YV such as can you grab the apps and install them on other devices?

Cheers

It was that other poster that mentioned that way bud but fair play to him it was the easiest way I've done it.

Jack's right, it's an amazing box and you won't be disappointed.

One question! Were you lucky enough to get Kodi onto the main AFTV page [emoji3]

Yup. Literally just turned it back on and it's right there on the homepage.

Rudolf's Mate

Yup. Literally just turned it back on and it's right there on the homepage.

[emoji85] [emoji1303]

I've not got it on mine and have tried all sorts to get it. Only thing I've not tried is installing it (on my box anyway) the way you've done it.

Completely bizarre as I've got Prime and if I log in to my box with a non prime account it appears [emoji51]

[emoji85] [emoji1303]

I've not got it on mine and have tried all sorts to get it. Only thing I've not tried is installing it (on my box anyway) the way you've done it.

Completely bizarre as I've got Prime and if I log in to my box with a non prime account it appears [emoji51]

That is weird. I've got prime as well.

I'd give installing the other way, extremely straight forward. Download FireDL via App Store, enter the code on the website (changes daily) and you're done. It's easier than installing an add-on in kodi.

Rudolf's Mate

That is weird. I've got prime as well.

I'd give installing the other way, extremely straight forward. Download FireDL via App Store, enter the code on the website (changes daily) and you're done. It's easier than installing an add-on in kodi.

I know plenty others who've got Prime and not got it and installed same way as me and it's been on the main screen. Jack D actually lost it and it came back with the new update [emoji3]

I'll try it later on.

I'd been using apps2fire previously however you need an android tablet or phone. You just click on it and select Kodi and it installs it on the AFTV. Quick and easy however the FireDL way seems even quicker.

Edited by Rudolf's Mate

Gimme an H...

So...

If you're willing to spend over ?50 for a box, is the absolute best a T8 or AFTV box? 

Silly question...AFTV is just the Amazon Fire TV Box from Amazon right...?

Rudolf's Mate

So...

If you're willing to spend over ?50 for a box, is the absolute best a T8 or AFTV box? 

Silly question...AFTV is just the Amazon Fire TV Box from Amazon right...?

Yes it is bud. I can only comment on what I've used however I've got both 1st & 2nd gen Amazon Fire TV boxes and both are brilliant. 

chester copperpot

Yes it is bud. I can only comment on what I've used however I've got both 1st & 2nd gen Amazon Fire TV boxes and both are brilliant.

Can only second this as I took Rudolphs advice and it's been nothing short of amazing.

Best bit of kit I've bought. That and SM has saved me an absolute fortune.

Gimme an H...

Can only second this as I took Rudolphs advice and it's been nothing short of amazing.

Best bit of kit I've bought. That and SM has saved me an absolute fortune.

Cheers guys, think I'll go for it now that my Sky has ended.

chester copperpot

Cheers guys, think I'll go for it now that my Sky has ended.

Get sportsmania mate. You will not regret paying 26 quid for 6 months. Believe me!

Say What Again

Get sportsmania mate. You will not regret paying 26 quid for 6 months. Believe me!

I was going to msg you on FB about this last week as I couldn't be arsed trawling through 100 pages on this thread to find out about it :lol:

I find Kodi absolutely fine, in fact brilliant, for TV shows and films, but a total hit and miss for live football. I take it Sports Mania would resolve that for me?

Getting fed up spending 10 mins trying to find a decent fitba stream - only for it to pack in or freeze after another 10 mins! They don't all do this obviously, but I just want it to work like the movies do. Browse - click - watch.

chester copperpot

I was going to msg you on FB about this last week as I couldn't be arsed trawling through 100 pages on this thread to find out about it :lol:

I find Kodi absolutely fine, in fact brilliant, for TV shows and films, but a total hit and miss for live football. I take it Sports Mania would resolve that for me?

Getting fed up spending 10 mins trying to find a decent fitba stream - only for it to pack in or freeze after another 10 mins! They don't all do this obviously, but I just want it to work like the movies do. Browse - click - watch.

Message me away mate.

I had a really shitty box and it still played SD streams brilliantly.

I honestly go most matches now on HD with zero problems now I have my AFTV box. If there is ever a problem, SM kicks you out and you click on the link and are back in within seconds. Happens very very rarely tho.

I am not an HD specialist or anything like that but the quality of stream compared to a Mobdro or free stream is like night and day.

Very first night I got SM renewed I watched the Anthony Joshua fight and that was it paid for in one scoop.

Also, if you're into your American Sports, SM has a great section of NBA, NFL, NHL and baseball.

It really is wonderful. You can also watch most of the Scottish and English games from foreign coverage so none of the biased commentary.

Mate, get yourself a week sub to check it out, it's the answer

jack D and coke

Sportsmania is closed to new subs so get SportsNationHD. Exactly the same, ran by the same guys just different servers.

Guys a wee bit of advice.

My boss bought a Firestick at Christmas that was pre-loaded with Kodi. For some reason, the Amazon Prime app on the Firestick is locked out, he can't login with his own AP account that he also has. Has anyone come across this? Everything else works fine, he can log in with his Netflix account, can watch iPlayer etc but only seems to be Amazon Prime.

Cheers