New stand

bigmeg

williejamiesonlesftfoot

If we can incorporate a hotel into the main stand it can earn revenue all going towards paying it off. I also mind Ann saying theres loads of space under the stands. You could for sure fit a bar & gym under the Wheatfield. I really hope we start to maximise on what we have.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whether in practice it happens or not, at the "not fit for purpose" EGM, the architect was the one that said it was the way it was designed, at the behest of CPR/LD.

i remember it being discussed at the time and thought it fanciful then. I would be interested in the views of any construction or civil engineering experts.

I don't think it is too fanciful in thinking that if the Roseburn was to be rebuilt 10-20 yards further back, a lot of the existing materials can be refused.

john brownlee

That would cost twice as much as a new stand so I can't see it happening

your not getting a new stand

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jambof3tornado

If we move to muddyfield for a season on our return home how would the club go about ensuring those who like their current seating position got 1st dibs on getting their old seats back again?

Guest Bilel Mohsni

If we move to muddyfield for a season on our return home how would the club go about ensuring those who like their current seating position got 1st dibs on getting their old seats back again?

By their personal reference numbers?

do you really think the conciliatory will give permission for a muckle great stand to block the light on their shiny new school.

Dream on brothers and sisters its never going to happen the new school was the latest nail in the coffin.

Simple Geometry and basic Astronomy should tell you that the light blockage would generally only be an issue late on in the day when the School will be empty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jambos are go!

If we decide to redevelop the main stand then economics will be the major factor on what we do. That would make squeezing into 3 stands the favourite IMO. I would still favour a new stadium.

It's right that the club look at all the options including a new ground.

A new stadium would only happen with the support of local government or as a 'sweetner' for a larger private development to take place. Yes there could be sponsorship but the cost is such that only either of the above is truly realistic.

A new stand is more likely but of course brings with it the question of space at our current location and of course there is still a funding issue to be addressed.

The sums involved though could be raised in the longer term once we have met the FOH obligations and once the club has been purchased for future generations.

It would mean another few years of contributions or an alternative means of funding such as the old '500 club'.  Perhaps we may also get some funding in terms of naming rights as well.

All in all we do need to realise this will require careful planning and costing. We are lucky enough to have people on board with the skills we require to get this off the ground but let's not kid ourselves this is a major financial hurdle facing us in the fairly near future.

I think we are lucky enough to have the breathing space to look hard at those future options but it is a decision that will impact upon the club for a couple of decades to come so any decision has to be the right one.

john brownlee

And you know this "fact" how exactly.

as much a fact as the fantasy dreamers that think we are getting a big shinie state of the art stand,if we do get anything it will be in the same foot print of the existing stand.

Now you tell me how many years has this plan been on the go, over twenty years, yes twenty years and why has it not been started, never mind completed.

Wallet was the first one that was refused planning , then Pieman not forgetting Vlad, get the picture, the common denominator is, getting planning permission from the knobs in charge at the cooncil. As I said it isn't going to happen any time soon.

Your story is as much a fantasy as the others you quoted. You don't know and that's the bottom line. I don't know either way however what I will say is that the rules for construction and approval have changed in recent times so that change may influence what is now being proposed ( I don't know what that is either but AB has said her team are investigating all avenues regarding the Main Stand).

john brownlee

Simple Geometry and basic Astronomy should tell you that the light blockage would generally only be an issue late on in the day when the School will be empty.

didnt stop them using that excuse when Heart of Midlothian wanted to extend the stadium. In the fifties and sixties.

didnt stop them using that excuse when Heart of Midlothian wanted to extend the stadium. In the fifties and sixties.

Tynecastle was due south of the school in the 50s and 60s

The Natural Order

as much a fact as the fantasy dreamers that think we are getting a big shinie state of the art stand,if we do get anything it will be in the same foot print of the existing stand.

Now you tell me how many years has this plan been on the go, over twenty years, yes twenty years and why has it not been started, never mind completed.

Wallet was the first one that was refused planning , then Pieman not forgetting Vlad, get the picture, the common denominator is, getting planning permission from the knobs in charge at the cooncil. As I said it isn't going to happen any time soon.

What are you talking about? Hearts have NEVER been refused planning permission for a new stand at Tynie.

Mercer only made one application for planning permission, the wheatfield stand - PASSED

Robinson/Deans made two applications, the roseburn and then gorgie stands - both PASSED

Romanov made one application for a new main stand but withdrew it without a decision either way.

Stop making shit up.

If we decide to redevelop the main stand then economics will be the major factor on what we do. That would make squeezing into 3 stands the favourite IMO. I would still favour a new stadium.

Do you mean the economics of Scottish football or global economics like the price of steel and the likes?

Both answers are valid

Francis Albert

Pretty straightforwardly by just retaining a record of ST holders in the main stand. However I'd guess any new stand would become the Platinum (or Platinum plus) area so I think there would be quite a bit of shuffling around.

Francis Albert

You mean during a rebuild or permanently? Either would be daft IMO. A year at Murrayfield would be an ideal opportunity by imaginative pricing policy to build the fan base to ensure the larger capacity Tynecastle would be full.

Pretty straightforwardly by just retaining a record of ST holders in the main stand. However I'd guess any new stand would become the Platinum (or Platinum plus) area so I think there would be quite a bit of shuffling around.

Question: is it better to sit opposite a new stand or sit in it? I can see both sides, both are appealing.

Francis Albert

Question: is it better to sit opposite a new stand or sit in it? I can see both sides, both are appealing.

Fair question. One of the reasons I like the old stand is that the ground looks much better from there.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Fair question. One of the reasons I like the old stand is that the ground looks much better from there.

Views of the park are often shite though.

One of the reasons I like the top of the Wheatfield is the panoramic views of the city. During 2013/14 I often thought it was the only good thing. I gave the castle man of the match twice

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-owner-plans-to-rebuild-tynecastle-s-main-stand-1-3768908

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl/ann-budge-wants-hearts-to-remain-at-tynecastle-1-3768542

Ann Budge:- Budge said: ?If I go back to before I got involved with football, and I had heard all the discussions about Tynecastle, I would sit there in my ivory tower and think the answer is obvious. ?Of course we need to move to a new stadium, with new facilities, do this and do that, which would be totally fit for purpose?. I would think, ?I can?t understand why they are even faffing about with?this?.

?But having been here a year, heard so many people speak passionately about Tynecastle, I think there has got to be a step, and the next step is going to be what can we do to keep us at Tynecastle. Despite all the challenges that could bring, it is about how we can overcome these. We are still doing the work, still looking at all the options, and all the difficulties etc, but I am looking at it from the point of view of ?how can we stay here, what can we do to make this viable?.

I would certainly stay sitting opposite it, looking at it, and enjoying it. 

Another reason I don't like sitting in the Main Stand is that it faces the sun.

On moving the Wheatfield to the site of the current main stand, I would think that would depend very much on the state of the preformed concrete.  If it's in good shape, the same cranes that lowered them into place could be used to pick them up again, and all the steel I-beams, roof trusses, and the rest could be dismantled and moved across the pitch without much problem (the pitch would get torn to shreds, of course, but that's not a major issue if we're in Murrayfield for a season).   The biggest new cost would be pouring new footings, but that's not an enormous cost.

If the concrete was not well formed, though, it's entirely possible that it's weathered and degraded since installation, and that the move would cause too much crumbling to make it useable.  All that said though, the fact that it was effectively a fabricated and assembled stand to start with means it should be possible to take it apart and put it back together without too much fuss.

We have 13500 ST holders.

The capacity of the newer stands is only around that.We would lose fans and money unless we rent at Murrayfield or ER.

We will be using Murrayfield for our Europe Cup matches anyway imo.

I would certainly stay sitting opposite it, looking at it, and enjoying it.

Another reason I don't like sitting in the Main Stand is that it faces the sun.

It's more traditional for clubs to have the main stand on the west as opposed to the east for that very reason.

Chester are another exception but that's because their west stand is in Wales

Would a lick of decent paint increase the longevity of the 3 newer stands?

How can the Forth Bridge be going as strong as ever?

But David Murray only sells steal with a max 30 year lifespan?

Edit - predictive text re steal v. steel.

But then again......

All legitimately of course.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

It's more traditional for clubs to have the main stand on the west as opposed to the east for that very reason.

Chester are another exception but that's because their west stand is in Wales

Are you sure? I recently got this in a pub quiz question:

Name a club established in one country, with a stadium in another? I got it wrong by saying Berwick Rangers, when the answer was Chester. I checked on a map, and it looked like the whole stadium was over the border in Wales.

And he's not praying

Are you sure? I recently got this in a pub quiz question:

Name a club established in one country, with a stadium in another? I got it wrong by saying Berwick Rangers, when the answer was Chester. I checked on a map, and it looked like the whole stadium was over the border in Wales.

The building attached to their main stand, I don't know if its offices or their shop, but it's attached to their main stand, apparently sits on the border with at least part of it situated on the English side.

The building attached to their main stand, I don't know if its offices or their shop, but it's attached to their main stand, apparently sits on the border.

Their offices are on the back of the main stand giving them an English Address.1?

Web b

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Ah, cheers. In all honesty during a hasty lunchtime online map check, it looked clear of the border on the Welsh side, but I never bother re-checking.

Would a lick of decent paint increase the longevity of the 3 newer stands?

How can the Forth Bridge be going as strong as ever?

But David Murray only sells steal with a max 30 year lifespan?

Edit - predictive text re steal v. steel.

But then again......

All legitimately of course.

A Freudian slip maybe!

At present we have this.

19eae4ed002dbb8936220de4e1b0817e.jpg

We could maybe someday have something like this.

3332f455fb2534ebf8f164208d56736f.jpg

No reason why that can't happen, looks really good

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-owner-plans-to-rebuild-tynecastle-s-main-stand-1-3768908

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl/ann-budge-wants-hearts-to-remain-at-tynecastle-1-3768542

Ann Budge:- Budge said: ?If I go back to before I got involved with football, and I had heard all the discussions about Tynecastle, I would sit there in my ivory tower and think the answer is obvious. ?Of course we need to move to a new stadium, with new facilities, do this and do that, which would be totally fit for purpose?. I would think, ?I can?t understand why they are even faffing about with?this?.

?But having been here a year, heard so many people speak passionately about Tynecastle, I think there has got to be a step, and the next step is going to be what can we do to keep us at Tynecastle. Despite all the challenges that could bring, it is about how we can overcome these. We are still doing the work, still looking at all the options, and all the difficulties etc, but I am looking at it from the point of view of ?how can we stay here, what can we do to make this viable?.

It's comforting to know that the preferred option is to remain at Tynecastle if that is a viable option.

If it turns out that the most viable long term option is to relocate, then as much of a wrench as that will be for me and countless thousands of other supporters, I will accept that the decision was not made on a whim, or without exhausting every realistic option to remain at Tynecastle.

However, I really do hope we come up with a sustainable solution that allows us to remain at our spiritual home, in the heart of our community.

do you really think the conciliatory will give permission for a muckle great stand to block the light on their shiny new school.

Dream on brothers and sisters its never going to happen the new school was the latest nail in the coffin.

The view from the top classrooms is already of the back of the old stand.

Also, too much natural light coming into your classroom is a pain because it makes the whiteboards impossible to read. We'd be doing them a favour.

At present we have this.

The upper's the best picture of the inside of the main stand I've ever seen.  Never gotten a seat there myself so that's a nice one to see.

On the lower picture, I'd prefer the second tier extend out further over the lower section, to continue Tynecastle's steep stands and intense atmosphere, and probably for the roof to continue the lighting truss design the others have.  But other than that, sure.

(Edit: didn't see the trusses up there the first time.)

Francis Albert

At present we have this.

Whatever we do I hope a new stand looks as good a century on as the the main stand does in the first picture here

I've dug out a couple jpegs of that new stand design..

f8d2d230ad5c5670f4a7876ca0ec911c.jpg

Crap seats on the left of the new stand in that mockup design. Wouldn't even see the goals due to the supporting frame blocking your view.

Also wouldn't see the goalline in the Roseburn.

Crap design.

Crap seats on the left in that mockup design. Wouldn't even see the goals due to the supporting frame blocking your view.

If I remember correctly the idea was that it would eventually be continued round to replace the Roseburn end as well.

This would eventually have made us properly UEFA compliant.

Much the same way as they currently do for renewals. Season ticket seats would be reserved for the person who already had that seat to buy it again for a set period of time. It would probably require a bit of tweaking to the software that sets up the seat reservations on customer accounts prior to season tickets going on sale, so that instead of reserving a season ticket holder's current seat (which will obviously be in the wrong ground!) the seat from the season before will be reserved. I'd guess for people who bought season tickets for Murrayfield without having had one at Tynecastle the previous season, they'd probably have a priority period to pick an available seat back at Tynie before any general sale starts.

Are you trying to suggest the new school was actually there in the fifties and sixties?

I really don't know why you posters go on about a replaced stand, it will not happen the cooncil have blocked every plan so far and will continue to do so until Heart of Midlothian bow down to a new community stadium funded by us.

Fair enough point until the Hearts threaten to move OUT of Edinburgh to Straiton for example which is in Midlothian. I can assure you Midlothian Council would welcome Hearts with open arms. 15,000 people spending on average ?15 every second Saturday in the local community. My opinion is that Edinburgh City Council will be falling over themselves to help keep Hearts at Tynecastle or at least within the Edinburgh City Council limit.

My understanding is that planning is not the hardest part of this project, it was and is finance, I we can get the ?14m to finance it, then we can make it work.

Edinburgh council have been VERY accommodating so far in this process, willing to sell adult learning centre to us, (at market value) without going to wider market. 

Archived