New stand

bigmeg

The appeal and success of Tynecastle with it's stands close to the pitch, it's close proximity to the city centre and the local pubs is also the reason that I think we will eventually move to a location on or near the city bypass or airport. 

Clubs like St Johnstone make money and survive through their stadium being used every day for business meetings, conferences and the like. Their large car park and being a bye kick away from the A9 make access easy and is currently something we cannot offer.

How much do St J's make fromnon-footballing activities, either in ?'s or as a % of income?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much do St J's make fromnon-footballing activities, either in ?'s or as a % of income?

Quoting myself because I found the answer.

About 25% of St J's income is from non-footballing which is more than I expected. But, for me, any decision on our ground should be based solely on football, not potential corporate activities.

The appeal and success of Tynecastle with it's stands close to the pitch, it's close proximity to the city centre and the local pubs is also the reason that I think we will eventually move to a location on or near the city bypass or airport. 

Clubs like St Johnstone make money and survive through their stadium being used every day for business meetings, conferences and the like. Their large car park and being a bye kick away from the A9 make access easy and is currently something we cannot offer.

Sorry but I dont understand the logic here, its an appealing and successful ground near the city centre and local pubs but that is also the reason why we should move ?

Was at a family event last night and was speaking to my wife's cousin who is a surveyor for the council. Anyway, he says that hearts have either bought the land around tynecastle or have agreed the price for the land(was drunk at the time). He claims to have seen the architects drawing for the stand and that a capacity of 23k is what we are going for. if true, the stand may be closer that certainly I expected. Has anyone heard anything similar.

heard the same .. was the guy who told you non Scottish by any chance?

Fxxx the SPFL

heard the same .. was the guy who told you non Scottish by any chance?

I heard the same was Lithuanian now Russian citizen.

But any new stand could include a ground-level car park and conference rooms if it's required.

Being so close to Edinburgh city centre must surely have as much if not more appeal as some outpost on the A9.

But any new stand could include a ground-level car park and conference rooms if it's required.

Being so close to Edinburgh city centre must surely have as much if not more appeal as some outpost on the A9.

But where would we put the sports direct store?

Quoting myself because I found the answer.

About 25% of St J's income is from non-footballing which is more than I expected. But, for me, any decision on our ground should be based solely on football, not potential corporate activities.

I think the actual ?'s would be more meaningful than the %'s.......

Pulling in ?x in non-footballing stuff might represent 25% of St Johnstones income, but that same amount of non-footballing business against our own income would represent a significantly less percentage of our overall income.... if that makes sense?

Our overal income might be 2, 3, 4, 10 times that of St Johnstone (I dont have numbers to hand sorry), but that doesnt mean that the potential non-footballing income will also be 2,3,4,10 times as big as theirs either. The two wont increase at the same rate.

I think the actual ?'s would be more meaningful than the %'s.......

Pulling in ?x in non-footballing stuff might represent 25% of St Johnstones income, but that same amount of non-footballing business against our own income would represent a significantly less percentage of our overall income.... if that makes sense?

Our overal income might be 2, 3, 4, 10 times that of St Johnstone (I dont have numbers to hand sorry), but that doesnt mean that the potential non-footballing income will also be 2,3,4,10 times as big as theirs either. The two wont increase at the same rate.

Good point.

It shouldn't be a deciding factor as to whether we redevelop Tynie or move anyway.

Big Slim Stylee

I'm just speculating here, but Ann has had a lot of focus on her this last year or so, with the Save the Children deal, plus the living wage has given the club a lot of good publicity, as well as the performance of the football club. With that in mind, and considering her business contacts, maybe there has never been a better time for us to secure some outside investment which could go towards the cost of this.

I'm just speculating here, but Ann has had a lot of focus on her this last year or so, with the Save the Children deal, plus the living wage has given the club a lot of good publicity, as well as the performance of the football club. With that in mind, and considering her business contacts, maybe there has never been a better time for us to secure some outside investment which could go towards the cost of this.

Think we agreed on that in a prior thread. I don't think our prospects of securing a sizable sum from naming rights sponsorship towards it have ever been higher, tbh.

King Of The Cat Cafe

Buffalo Bill, on 31 Aug 2015 - 09:19 AM, said:snapback.png

One quid pro quo may be that outside investors may insist that Ann stays at the helm longer than she had initially planned.  

And I am struggling to see any downside to that...

New stadium at approx 30-?40 million.

Messi signing before the window closes Tuesday.

I would say Messi has more chance of signing tbh

Signing Messi?  -  not sure we can accommodate him and Sow and Juanma, but with injuries, suspensions etc probably good addition to the squad

all people currently in the 1st row of the second tier should be allocated their own table, you get used to these things!!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

In the short term we could offer Hibs half a million for their main stand, move it to Tynecastle and change the seats for maroon ones. It's not like they'll be needing the 6000 seats any time soon.

In the short term we could offer Hibs half a million for their main stand, move it to Tynecastle and change the seats for maroon ones. It's not like they'll be needing the 6000 seats any time soon.

Good idea, but I think the costs of decontamination might be too severe to make it a viable solution.

I think I have read previously Stration was a suggestion for a new site for a stadium...i may also be be imagining out at the gyle on land belonging to David Murray was a possibility too...or am I making this up?

Rudi Hates Hibees

Sorry if this had been covered before but when the 3 newer stands were built in the 90's was there ever any plan then for the main stand? Would be interesting to see if there was and what was proposed, if anything.

Sorry if this had been covered before but when the 3 newer stands were built in the 90's was there ever any plan then for the main stand? Would be interesting to see if there was and what was proposed, if anything.

Think it was along the lines of the Wheatfield. Remember the model in the window of the McLeod Street shop/office.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I think I have read previously Stration was a suggestion for a new site for a stadium...i may also be be imagining out at the gyle on land belonging to David Murray was a possibility too...or am I making this up?

Straiton was a plan that Mercer was interested in and I think it was offered at the time to the club by Midlothian council as it lay outside the city limit. There was widespread opposition from most as it was so far away from our core area so received little support.

Straiton was a plan that Mercer was interested in and I think it was offered at the time to the club by Midlothian council as it lay outside the city limit. There was widespread opposition from most as it was so far away from our core area so received little support.

Was there not also a possibility of another site, I think it was out by Musselburgh, can't remember the name of the site, but basically too close to Hibs territory for most fans to stomach.

You're right about Straiton. If I recall correctly, Mercer was getting frustrated by Edinburgh Council who seemed to be putting blocks on our attempts to find a suitable location within the city.  A move to Straiton would have had benefits for Midlothian Council, to the detriment of Edinburgh Council.

Was there not also a possibility of another site, I think it was out by Musselburgh, can't remember the name of the site, but basically too close to Hibs territory for most fans to stomach.

You're right about Straiton. If I recall correctly, Mercer was getting frustrated by Edinburgh Council who seemed to be putting blocks on our attempts to find a suitable location within the city.  A move to Straiton would have had benefits for Midlothian Council, to the detriment of Edinburgh Council.

Millerhill

All roads lead to Gorgie

Millerhill

It was not only in Hibs territory but was also over the old mine workings there so the site was always going to be dodgy from a safety point of view as well as being on the wrong side of town.

Rudi Hates Hibees

Think it was along the lines of the Wheatfield. Remember the model in the window of the McLeod Street shop/office.

Cheers. I don't really remember the model from back then. Obviously things have changed since then with pitch dimensions and the need for more corporate boxes / hospitality.

Quite right. The N.B.B.C. wouldn't impact on any possible rebuilding work [emoji6]

6ddd298a6cc298e7e0342aa1b13915dc.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Look at the McLeod Street entrance to the School End stand...........looks like a bowling green

Look at the McLeod Street entrance to the School End stand...........looks like a bowling green

You're not a bowler, are you? 

You're not a bowler, are you? 

Guilty as charged and it seems not too much of a parent in not recognising a nursery !!

Still the building/land is very close to the footprint of any main stand redevelopment re light and access etc.

Good idea, but I think the costs of decontamination might be too severe to make it a viable solution.

You'd also need a hazmat crew just to move the thing across the city, taking great pains that the stand not shed a swath of radioactive, toxic waste as it goes.

Guilty as charged and it seems not too much of a parent in not recognising a nursery !!

Still the building/land is very close to the footprint of any main stand redevelopment re light and access etc.

It is very close, and I think it would have to be relocated as part of any redevelopment. I'm sure it was a source of much disagreement several years ago, as I think the nursery are not keen to relocate.

No.

The model produced (back in 1993) simply showed the Main Stand in its present form. Leslie Deans called it "the Millennium Project". I'm not sure what millennium he meant.  

I think it would've been disastrous to have handed Hibs "the only club from Edinburgh" title, despite having 'Midlothian' in our name, and that Midlothian is a bursting with Hearts supporters.   

Quite right. The N.B.B.C. wouldn't impact on any possible rebuilding work [emoji6]

6ddd298a6cc298e7e0342aa1b13915dc.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would just emphasis again that this photo shows the potential of building a new, or adding to the existing Wheatfield Stand. Note how the distillery building ends as the Wheatfield begins. If we could get just 20 yards of that football pitch behind, you could significantly add capacity on to that side (and where the wee car park is), bearing in mind costs/planning etc. But very do-able.

jimbojumbojambo

I remember talking to the Clerk of Works during the construction of the Roseburn stand on one of my visits to the site (as an interested fan and not in a professional capacity) and he advised that the concrete base for the tower at the Main stand end was designed for a greater load than those of the Wheatfield. This was because it was anticipated that any future replacement for the old stand would be two-tier.

I would just emphasis again that this photo shows the potential of building a new, or adding to the existing Wheatfield Stand. Note how the distillery building ends as the Wheatfield begins. If we could get just 20 yards of that football pitch behind, you could significantly add capacity on to that side (and where the wee car park is), bearing in mind costs/planning etc. But very do-able.

One thing to add to that idea is that the Wheatfield was designed in such a way that it can be taken down and re-assembled. Build a new main stand at the Wheatfield side and swap them.

One thing to add to that idea is that the Wheatfield was designed in such a way that it can be taken down and re-assembled. Build a new main stand at the Wheatfield side and swap them.

Probably not a bad idea that - the ariel shot shows that the actual footprint of the Wheatfield isn't actually all that big in comparison to the current main stand..... granted its bigger, but not by as much as i'd have thought it to be.

Interesting thought.

Probably not a bad idea that - the ariel shot shows that the actual footprint of the Wheatfield isn't actually all that big in comparison to the current main stand..... granted its bigger, but not by as much as i'd have thought it to be.

Interesting thought.

I know we train on that pitch, but once Riccarton is finished we won't need to. Could allow for a new frontage and car park or shops.

Point is, there is space to do it.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I think it would've been disastrous to have handed Hibs "the only club from Edinburgh" title, despite having 'Midlothian' in our name, and that Midlothian is a bursting with Hearts supporters.   

We have plenty fans in the Lothians and the bypass would have suited them( provided they were drivers) but all of them I know love coming into the city on match days and no one I knew at the time were in favour even if they lived nearby. There was always the traffic issues as well with the new retail park across the road from the site and the bypasses ability to clog up regularly. Midlothian council had an ambitious plan around that time to dual the road to Penicuik but that was always pie in the sky with the costs involved and central government would have downed that pronto. Anyway this is well off the subject of a new stand which I hope we can achieve.

Would hate to see us move , it wouldn't never be the same again for quite a lot of us .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My sister-in-law works there and says they are busy all the time with functions and hospitality. Plus they rent out the astro next to the ground most nights too. Couldn't hazard a guess at how much they make but will be a reasonable amount.

I am led to believe this is not an issue. Allegedly the seats have never been used before

My sister-in-law works there and says they are busy all the time with functions and hospitality. Plus they rent out the astro next to the ground most nights too. Couldn't hazard a guess at how much they make but will be a reasonable amount.

Sounds decent, but surely it is something we can provide at a rebuilt Tynecastle.

Was just thinking that when looked at that image. Plenty room before the stand would become too close to the houses there

We would lose the media car park but perhaps the rest of the football pitch that would be built on could be turned into a car park - which would suit with it being outside the main stand. Anyone know if we own that pitch or if it can be easily acquired? 

The NBD cleared out the nearest, to the corner, warehouse as its sale to Romanov had been agreed in principal.They seem to be quite supportive of the club.

Sounds decent, but surely it is something we can provide at a rebuilt Tynecastle.

I would expect us to far surpass their revenue by doing similar tbh, especially given the location (Edinburgh v Perth) and the larger potential customer base.

Sorry don't think I was clear with my first reply - when I said work there I meant at McDiarmid park

Sorry don't think I was clear with my first reply - when I said work there I meant at McDiarmid park

I got that :tiny:  and I was saying we should be able to replicate (and surpass) what they do there at a new Tynie.

Is the Hulk available for this piece of work ? He seems quite busy with filming etc..

Is the Hulk available for this piece of work ? He seems quite busy with filming etc..

It obviously breaks down to lots and lots of smaller pieces, but you knew that. :)

I know we train on that pitch, but once Riccarton is finished we won't need to. Could allow for a new frontage and car park or shops.

Point is, there is space to do it.

That pitch belongs to NBD, It's a community pitch, there may be scope to buy the land behind the Roseburn, but I doubt they would be willing to sell the Wheatfield side

The warehouses at the corner were emptied in the mid naughties but were refilled again when the demand for whiskey increased a few years later

Archived