New stand

bigmeg

This is something I checked when I had too much time on my hands!

(includes UEFA compliant run-offs...)

That would be majestic. The 'L' shaped stand sounds pretty rubbish In my personal opinion, although I'm a weirdo and like symmetry etc!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers for posting mate. I'd almost forgotten all about that building!! The first pic really illustrates how imposing that building was on the Main Street (for anyone that doesn't recognise the first pic, the Roseburn bar is visible on the right). I'd be interested to know exactly when that building was demolished.

Cheers again.

I used to walk that way when I was skipping school (Tynie )

I'd say late 80s early 90s when it was demolished

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So in other words, impossible!

Cheers for posting mate. I'd almost forgotten all about that building!! The first pic really illustrates how imposing that building was on the Main Street (for anyone that doesn't recognise the first pic, the Roseburn bar is visible on the right). I'd be interested to know exactly when that building was demolished.

Cheers again.

Brewery closed December 1992 and was demolished by 1994

queensferryjambo

Slightly off topic but still stadium related does anyone know why they are currently digging up the concrete at ground level at the corner between the Wheatfield and Roseburn stands just now?

portobellojambo1

I had a conversation recently with someone who sounded as if he had some inside info. I think I have heard something similar in the past so it's maybe not entirely new.

Apparently serious consideration is being given to turning the pitch 90 degrees with a new stand (now and end stand) backing onto McCleod street. How the Gorgie and school end stands would be incorporated or moved would be interesting.

This would probably entail the building of a completely new 'corporate 'stand on the axis of either the School or Gorgie stands.

Maybe the intention is to dismantle the Wheatfield, Gorgie and/or School end stands and use the components in the constuction of a 'new' stadium.

Sounds like a lot of work, but announcements to be made towards the end of the season or in the close season.

I'm struggling with this in all honesty. The distance available to play about with is possibly there with the pitch in its present position depending on how much room is taken up by any new main stand moved a little back from the present main stand position. But if the present location of the main stand was to become an end stand that would either mean we could end up with the widest pitch in football, but also the shortest unless we can somehow magic some additional land behind where the Wheatfield presently stands to accommodate some extra length in the pitch plus the construction of another end stand as well. Not sure if I'm missing something brutally obvious but while there is enough land behind where the main stand is to widen the playing surface a bit and build a little further back I don't think there is enough space to make the pitch long enough, build an end stand and build a full length stand at the Gorgie Road End. Sure the land available only extends as far on that side to the end of the car park behind where the old ticket office and admin block was/is then your into the tenement on McLeod Street's back yards.

Hackney Hearts

I'm struggling with this in all honesty. The distance available to play about with is possibly there with the pitch in its present position depending on how much room is taken up by any stand moved a little back from its present position. But if the present location of the main stand was to become an end stand that would either mean we could end up with the widest pitch in football, but also the shortest unless we can somehow magic some additional land behind where the Wheatfield presently stands to accommodate some extra length in the pitch plus the construction of another end stand as well. Not sure if I'm missing something brutally obvious but while there is enough land behind where the main stand is to widen the playing surface a bit and build a little further back I don't think there is enough space to make the pitch long enough, build an end stand and build a full length stand at the Gorgie Road End. Sure the land available only extends as far on that side to the end of the car park behind where the old ticket office and admin block was/is then your into the tenement on McLeod Street's back yards.

I think the space is there to do it - see mock-up in post #567 - but it would take a lot of work and money, so unlikely to be viable.

All roads lead to Gorgie

They brewed both and you're right,the products were far better from Heriot than Wellpark...however the power and money was always centred in Glasgow and the investment required to the brewery at Roseburn was never going to happen as the site was considered too small.

It was another case of Edinburgh meekly letting our heritage go whilst if the boot had been on the other foot and Wellpark was threatened with closure all hell would have been let loose. There was a lot of derelict land in Russell Road around the time of closure when the garage across the street closed and that could have provided expansion options. Sorry for drifting away from what the thread is about.

Whatever we build is not just about the now. It's whether it will last 25 or more years. We could spend 15 million on one stand and and still have to spend even more on the other stands. Spending ?30 million on whole new stadium could save us ?10 to ?20 million on the long run. Costs will only go up!

Watt-Zeefuik

I too have spent too much time on this, and I'm not clear how this works.  It looks from your drawing as if the northwest corner of the pitch is the same between the current and future layouts, and that the pitch turn is exactly 90 degrees, such that the new touchline is where the endline is currently, just extended further to the east (and a bit north).  In Google Earth I'm measuring the distance from that corner to the curbstones of McLeod St. along that angle at about 133m.  UEFA wants 105m plus an additional 10m at each end for runoff space (which I think is absurd and unnecessary and atmosphere-killing, but anyway).  That's 125m consumed, and then you need room for a stand there.  The Wheatfield is about 26m wide, and the old main is about 21m wide, and there's only 8m left at the northeast corner for the stand.

If you put a more sane 5m behind each goal, that gets that corner up to 18m wide, which if you just lopped off the corner wouldn't be terrible, but is still pretty tight.

I'm struggling with this in all honesty. The distance available to play about with is possibly there with the pitch in its present position depending on how much room is taken up by any new main stand moved a little back from the present main stand position. But if the present location of the main stand was to become an end stand that would either mean we could end up with the widest pitch in football, but also the shortest unless we can somehow magic some additional land behind where the Wheatfield presently stands to accommodate some extra length in the pitch plus the construction of another end stand as well. Not sure if I'm missing something brutally obvious but while there is enough land behind where the main stand is to widen the playing surface a bit and build a little further back I don't think there is enough space to make the pitch long enough, build an end stand and build a full length stand at the Gorgie Road End. Sure the land available only extends as far on that side to the end of the car park behind where the old ticket office and admin block was/is then your into the tenement on McLeod Street's back yards.

That plan (and just about anything else done on the Tynecastle site, I think) would require knocking down the nursery.  I can't believe that would be overly hard to relocate. 

jamboinglasgow

Friend who attended the club's recent Breakfast function said he was told to expect a major announcement from the club soon. They didn't get a even a hint about what to expect but who knows it might be about replacing the old stand.

Surprised no one has picked up on this.

Whatever we build is not just about the now. It's whether it will last 25 or more years. We could spend 15 million on one stand and and still have to spend even more on the other stands. Spending ?30 million on whole new stadium could save us ?10 to ?20 million on the long run. Costs will only go up!

Agreed.

I think the space is there to do it - see mock-up in post #567 - but it would take a lot of work and money, so unlikely to be viable.

Take a look at the mock up again, the back walls of the stadium are on the road!!!!!

You still have to be able to access the stadium safely.

Cheers again.

Well the Roseburn Brewery was still in operation in the late 80s as I organised a visit to it for the HW Building society.    I would guess that it closed in the mid 90s.

Back in the SOS days there was a problem surrounding ownership of the old ticket office building.  It was not owned by the club and as such hindered development of the Main Stand.  

IIRC, it was owned by Wallace Mercer (who leased the building back to the club) and then passed on to his family. This building was also a stumbling block for Vlad's plans for the new Main Stand / Hotel.  I do not think it was part of the assets bought by AB.

Watt-Zeefuik

Take a look at the mock up again, the back walls of the stadium are on the road!!!!!

You still have to be able to access the stadium safely.

One corner is.  You could still have an entry plaza towards the south end of the east stand.

I meant to add that if the newer stands are still in decent shape and the photos and info shared earlier about how their constructed can be believed, they can be disassembled and the prefabricated concrete seat risers split up and reused in a new pattern.  It wouldn't be free of cost, as the foundation and the roof would probably have to be replaced, but I imagine it would be dramatically less than new stands from scratch.

portobellojambo1

Back in the SOS days there was a problem surrounding ownership of the old ticket office building.  It was not owned by the club and as such hindered development of the Main Stand.  

IIRC, it was owned by Wallace Mercer (who leased the building back to the club) and then passed on to his family. This building was also a stumbling block for Vlad's plans for the new Main Stand / Hotel.  I do not think it was part of the assets bought by AB.

The asset you are referring to, i.e. the building in which the old ticket office and office(s) were located was sold by Romanov to a property developer as part of a package which included the bank building in/off St Andrew Square. If it hadn't been sold then things may have progressed a little more swiftly as the council have been very easy to negotiate with, as has been the case in the past.

internationalcoverup

I stumbled across registration of this property while doing research on another building in McLeod Street.

It is still leased to Hearts, but lease expires in December this year.

There is a right of preemption attached to it which states Hearts have first refusal to buy if it goes on the open market.

Do Hearts still use this building?

Slightly off topic but still stadium related does anyone know why they are currently digging up the concrete at ground level at the corner between the Wheatfield and Roseburn stands just now?

Concrete grave for when Celtic come calling.

It was another case of Edinburgh meekly letting our heritage go whilst if the boot had been on the other foot and Wellpark was threatened with closure all hell would have been let loose. There was a lot of derelict land in Russell Road around the time of closure when the garage across the street closed and that could have provided expansion options. Sorry for drifting away from what the thread is about.

It was a decision by Bass Brewers...Heriot was considered too be too small and the cost of expansion was too great although the products always came out top in taste tests between all Bass breweries over the UK.

Unfortunately Heriot would have fitted into a corner of the Wellpark site

Like nearly every Hearts supporter I would love to stay at Tynecastle however while my heart says Gorgie my head says we have no other option but to sell the current site and move to a new site which will allow the club to expand to fulfill its potential. I'm sure deep down most Hearts supporters accept this reality. .... Hope I'm wrong though.

Like nearly every Hearts supporter I would love to stay at Tynecastle however while my heart says Gorgie my head says we have no other option but to sell the current site and move to a new site which will allow the club to expand to fulfill its potential. I'm sure deep down most Hearts supporters accept this reality. .... Hope I'm wrong though.

I think you are correct here HD

Whilst I have always been in the stay at Tynecastle camp, if you get the purpose build right it can be good. I was at the Amsterdam arena last weekend , purpose built, great stadium, transport links door to door from city centre, loads of parking and plenty places for beer, food etc etc. Made for a brilliant match day experience.

Different scale of course but shows what can be done if thought about .

kingantti1874

It's all about location.. A new purpose built arena somewhere close by I think your right... A new purpose build arena at straiton or gogar... Tynecastle is perfect, if we could somehow wangle enough room to rebuild a proper stadium on the site that would be ideal..

Turning the whole stadium is one of the more stupid ideas going.   If we are staying at Tynecastle then some things have to happen.

The School end stand will have to be demolished and rebuilt to allow the Wheatfield to be extended. This has to be done in order to solve the problem of the pitch being too short and with no real run-off.  It's just a matter of finance and will.   Install temporary jacks to support the roof truss. Remove support. Build new support and extend the seating. extend the roof truss. Lower jacks and you have the same stand just a bit longer. Same process to extend the Gorgie stand when you build the new Main stand. 

Rebuild the School end stand just 5-10metres further back and wide enough to allow the full sized playing surface.  How much would anybody want for the bit of playground behind the wall to allow this to happen? 

It would mean a larger capacity in every stand without losing the atmospheric shape of the ground.  Just a matter of time and money.  And losing the away supporters for a season. Which would be a shame.

bigis semiauskas

c88d5c0ecd5ea54d4f8509be507342ca.jpg

This old ariel shot gives folk an good idea just how tight things were/are at tynecastle regards to turning the stadium. The old N.B warehouses that backed onto the shed pre wheatfield stand days & Tynie school are now gone of course, but the Gorgie Rd & McLeod St flats + the social work building are still in the same spots...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

School is still there.

Francis Albert

School is still there.

And I believe is a listed building although of a low grade so maybe not insuperable problem. It is neglected and beginning to look a bit of an eyesore.

Turning the whole stadium is one of the more stupid ideas going. If we are staying at Tynecastle then some things have to happen.

The School end stand will have to be demolished and rebuilt to allow the Wheatfield to be extended. This has to be done in order to solve the problem of the pitch being too short and with no real run-off. It's just a matter of finance and will. Install temporary jacks to support the roof truss. Remove support. Build new support and extend the seating. extend the roof truss. Lower jacks and you have the same stand just a bit longer. Same process to extend the Gorgie stand when you build the new Main stand.

Rebuild the School end stand just 5-10metres further back and wide enough to allow the full sized playing surface. How much would anybody want for the bit of playground behind the wall to allow this to happen?

It would mean a larger capacity in every stand without losing the atmospheric shape of the ground. Just a matter of time and money. And losing the away supporters for a season. Which would be a shame.

I think we will rent Muddyfield fir a season if this happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder of the distillery have any plans to relocate out of the city? 

Their site would make a great location for a new stadium. 

NB Distillery Tynecastle Stadium/Park anyone? 

Turning the whole stadium is one of the more stupid ideas going. If we are staying at Tynecastle then some things have to happen.

The School end stand will have to be demolished and rebuilt to allow the Wheatfield to be extended. This has to be done in order to solve the problem of the pitch being too short and with no real run-off. It's just a matter of finance and will. Install temporary jacks to support the roof truss. Remove support. Build new support and extend the seating. extend the roof truss. Lower jacks and you have the same stand just a bit longer. Same process to extend the Gorgie stand when you build the new Main stand.

Rebuild the School end stand just 5-10metres further back and wide enough to allow the full sized playing surface. How much would anybody want for the bit of playground behind the wall to allow this to happen?

It would mean a larger capacity in every stand without losing the atmospheric shape of the ground. Just a matter of time and money. And losing the away supporters for a season. Which would be a shame.

Yes , but isn't the Old Tynecastle High School a listed building, whose facage can't be changed. Any future development of that sight wouldn't want a McLeod St stand right against its windows granted its virtually there already as there can only be about 10 meters max to play with.

I think that's the major stumbling block to any future / long term development (moving the school end stand back).

I heard NB had bought the old school and they may be ok with moving the stand but the council would have to consider how close that brought the stand to the front of the building etc etc.

No expert in these matters but can't see us being allowed to move the school end back.

I wonder of the distillery have any plans to relocate out of the city? 

Their site would make a great location for a new stadium. 

NB Distillery Tynecastle Stadium/Park anyone? 

If Hearts were to secure the site and announce plans then the council would veto it for H&S due to proximity to the chemical plant.

I don't disagree with your idea though - that whole area would allow a significant future proof stadium with potential to add access from the approach road with parking.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bilel Mohsni

It could look something like this (I pinched this photo from someone on this forum and duplicated the Wheatfield stand):

tynecastle2017.jpg

Bump.

:wow:

Is this what is coming then? HMSA peeps?

This old ariel shot gives folk an good idea just how tight things were/are at tynecastle regards to turning the stadium. The old N.B warehouses that backed onto the shed pre wheatfield stand days & Tynie school are now gone of course, but the Gorgie Rd & McLeod St flats + the social work building are still in the same spots...

Great photo :thumbsup:

Am I the only one who can see Juanma's face in the nursery playground?

Aaah the old Wheatfield entrance, walking through the tunnel at side of the shed and seeing a packed Tynie, magic!!

I know it's naive but all I see from that pic is a large area of land behind the Main Stand that should give plenty of room to build a new stand. I am not sure why we are discussing anything else tbh

I know it's naive but all I see from that pic is a large area of land behind the Main Stand that should give plenty of room to build a new stand. I am not sure why we are discussing anything else tbh

You are right - there should be nothing stopping us from building a new stand there. The issues that arise are due to the pitch size given the proximity of the stands and whether we meet Uefa regulations. 

You are right - there should be nothing stopping us from building a new stand there. The issues that arise are due to the pitch size given the proximity of the stands and whether we meet Uefa regulations. 

Questions that nobody seems to be able to answer adequately.

Questions that nobody seems to be able to answer adequately.

Ann Budge announced last night that the intention is to stay at Tynecastle and they planned to make an announcement on a new stand at the next AGM.

She is a very intelligent woman who knows what she is doing - as such I am content that she has fully considered all the potential problems and has a workable plan to over come them.

Ann Budge announced last night that the intention is to stay at Tynecastle and they planned to make an announcement on a new stand at the next AGM.

She is a very intelligent woman who knows what she is doing - as such I am content that she has fully considered all the potential problems and has a workable plan to over come them.

Yeah, I read that thread after posting.

I trust her as she wants to stay at Tynie. If she says we have to move then I can at least be comfortable that she has tried everything in her power to stay in Gorgie.

She is a very intelligent woman who knows what she is doing - as such I am content that she has fully considered all the potential problems and has a workable plan to over come them.

When IS the next AGM mate? Excuse my ignorance.

FoH one is 3 December

Thanks bud. Exciting times. News of a new stand will probably be the best ****ing present ill get this Christmas!

FoH one is 3 December

Is she not referring to the HMFC AGM?

Aaah the old Wheatfield entrance, walking through the tunnel at side of the shed and seeing a packed Tynie, magic!!

Aaah

Francis Albert

Is she not referring to the HMFC AGM?

I would think so. That's the AGM she is responsible for and the Board of HMFC is who will make decisions on a new stand, at least decisions made in the next 3 years or so.. Although since it is a commitment that will impact on HMFC long after Ann has been replaced as the majority shareholder I'd hope FoH are closely involved in the decision.

I would think so. That's the AGM she is responsible for and the Board of HMFC is who will make decisions on a new stand, at least decisions made in the next 3 years or so.. Although since it is a commitment that will impact on HMFC long after Ann has been replaced as the majority shareholder I'd hope FoH are closely involved in the decision.

Do you know when the next HMFC AGM is?

Archived