Are we in end times?

Jambo 4 Ever

What? Ok, on you go.

You have resources which somebody else wants, that makes you a target, wars have started for the same thing, just ask Bush & Blair.

http://www.inthebeginning.com/articles/norway1968.htm

What about these visions possibly coming true?

Why do you ask for people's opinion when you clearly believe in all this sort of stuff already?

13 pages and you are still asking folk what they think when 95+% have told you that it's a pile of cack, but you still persist in posting this stuff and asking what people think, you have been told what people think.

I told you the writers of back to the future II have gotten more things right about the future than any link you've posted, but still you persist. 

If you want to believe in this sort of stuff that's fine by me, that's up to you, myself and the majority of the other posters on this thread don't, you've got your answer so why keep asking?

Oh and by the way The World is still here it hasn't ended despite what some crackpots might say. 

Why do you ask for people's opinion when you clearly believe in all this sort of stuff already?

13 pages and you are still asking folk what they think when 95+% have told you that it's a pile of cack, but you still persist in posting this stuff and asking what people think, you have been told what people think.

I told you the writers of back to the future II have gotten more things right about the future than any link you've posted, but still you persist. 

If you want to believe in this sort of stuff that's fine by me, that's up to you, myself and the majority of the other posters on this thread don't, you've got your answer so why keep asking?

Oh and by the way The World is still here it hasn't ended despite what some crackpots might say. 

Not sure what to think of it all to be honest - but don't know how she got alot of it right so far

scott herbertson

Not sure if this has been posted before but this is a very good site for people who Do want to prepare for an apocalyptic situation (webmaster survived in sarajevo during their crisis)

http://www.shtfplan.com/

Edited by scott herbertson

Not sure what to think of it all to be honest - but don't know how she got alot of it right so far

OK, let's just say you're not sure what to think of it all - then why bother? If the world ends, no amount of discussion on a football website is going to change anything, we're all sinners, we're all (the vast majority anyway) going to face some awful fate or another.

But if you're not one of these apocalyptic chaps, it seems like a right waste of time to be worrying about it as human beings can't tell the ****ing future

Geoff Kilpatrick

OK, let's just say you're not sure what to think of it all - then why bother? If the world ends, no amount of discussion on a football website is going to change anything, we're all sinners, we're all (the vast majority anyway) going to face some awful fate or another.

But if you're not one of these apocalyptic chaps, it seems like a right waste of time to be worrying about it as human beings can't tell the ******* future

Why do you think this?

:rolleyes:

There were giants in the earth in those days. Some claim the Smithsonian Institution have destroyed a lot of the evidence. Very easily debunked because of fakes (as in UFO's), however I think there are some clams that deserve a closer look. Some say they are the elephant the room as in fallen angels. maybe it's one of those things that need DNA analyses and for the MSM to come out with the results. One thing's for sure, if you bring the subject up it's a surprise to find so many have never heard about it.

Riddley Walker

The reason know one knows about it is because it's unsubstantiated nonsense based on anecdotal lies by unreliable sources.

Giants aren't real man.

#1 -- I'm skeptical of any time someone claims an accurate prediction in retrospect without some corroborating evidence.  (FWIW, I correctly predicted Craig Beatie would score a penalty in the closing minutes of the Scottish Cup semifinal . . . see how that works?)

#2 -- It's very easy to make very vague claims and have them come true.

Giants? Where's this come from? Can't see a link talking about giants. Only the one about the made up Norwegian woman.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Giants? Where's this come from? Can't see a link talking about giants. Only the one about the made up Norwegian woman.

That must be why door openings have been getting smaller through the ages, Giants. oh wait.

Riddley Walker

Niblick let us know that giants are real and there has been some sort of cover up. A quick internet search tells me there are all sorts of conspiracy theories about fossils of giants being discovered and covered up by the Smithsonian institute and high govt.

Sounds totally legit.

Why would that need to be covered up?

True, why?

If they were a bygone race why cover it up?  For what reason?  To protect us from what?

#1 -- I'm skeptical of any time someone claims an accurate prediction in retrospect without some corroborating evidence.  (FWIW, I correctly predicted Craig Beatie would score a penalty in the closing minutes of the Scottish Cup semifinal . . . see how that works?)

#2 -- It's very easy to make very vague claims and have them come true.

Exactly.

Earlier in this thread I predicted what I think will happen in the next 25 years, the law of probability would dictate that at least 50% would be somewhere close enough for me to able to claim them as predicted correctly.

That's it then.

The boss of an outrageously rich, over-powerful storytelling club is canvassing for support of his storytelling club by telling scary stories.

When he's wrong he'll be "misinterpreted", as is always the case with religious nonsense.

• 1 month later...
Stephen Muddie

I'll bet you he's wrong.  I'll even give odds.

:antlers: Feck the auld duffer. Totally unbigotedly. I just think he slavers pish.

Wtf is this thread?

Makes you wonder, eh?

The end times, to some Christians, means the start of a period of tribulation during which most of life on earth will be destroyed.  Then Jesus will come back and destroy the anti-Christ, after which everybody left standing (only true Christians) will live happily ever after. 

At least, that's what I remember from Sunday school many, many years ago.

Makes you wonder, eh?

The end times, to some Christians, means the start of a period of tribulation during which most of life on earth will be destroyed. Then Jesus will come back and destroy the anti-Christ, after which everybody left standing (only true Christians) will live happily ever after.

At least, that's what I remember from Sunday school many, many years ago.

Gideon's teas oot, when the big JC comes for him.

Watt-Zeefuik

Tried to find the "last Christmas" comment from a single reliable news source, as it really doesn't sound like something Francis would say.  Can't find a single one that isn't a discussion board or some kind of "truth finder" blog full of nuts.  Best I can find is some prayer for people for whom this might be their last Christmas, but even that's not well reported.

The biblical scholars I get to chat with on a regular basis are pretty adamant that at the time the book of Revelations was intended as a kind of metaphorical warning involving the political situations of the day.  Taking it literally today is a bit like people 1,000 years from now declaring that in the 20th century people thought animals could walk and talk and foment social revolution because of the popularity of Orwell's Animal Farm or that people thought tornadoes were a gateway to a magical land because of the Wizard of Oz.

The biblical scholars I get to chat with on a regular basis are pretty adamant that at the time the book of Revelations was intended as a kind of metaphorical warning involving the political situations of the day.  Taking it literally today is a bit like people 1,000 years from now declaring that in the 20th century people thought animals could walk and talk and foment social revolution because of the popularity of Orwell's Animal Farm or that people thought tornadoes were a gateway to a magical land because of the Wizard of Oz.

Maybe the biblical scholars you chat with are wrong.  There are many people who believe that the Bible is literally the word of God, and that any suggestion of metaphor or allegory is mistaken. 

Stephen Muddie

Tried to find the "last Christmas" comment from a single reliable news source, as it really doesn't sound like something Francis would say.  Can't find a single one that isn't a discussion board or some kind of "truth finder" blog full of nuts.  Best I can find is some prayer for people for whom this might be their last Christmas, but even that's not well reported.

Good post

Stephen Muddie

Maybe the biblical scholars you chat with are wrong.  There are many people who believe that the Bible is literally the word of God, and that any suggestion of metaphor or allegory is mistaken. 

That sounds kind of fundamentalist and more a sign of the American kind of Christianity, which is strange because presumably UglyAmerican is American so I'm full of intrigue for what this thread has in store.

Watt-Zeefuik

There certainly are quite a lot of people who believe that (as discussions on here have shown), but there's a history to that belief, and it's a lot less ancient than many people like to claim (it has a lot to do with resisting authoritarianism of Renaissance Popes).

The guy who wrote this book usually attends my church.  I'm not a biblical scholar, I haven't read this, and I haven't spoken to Brian about this particular issue, but I have chatted about this with a bunch of Union Presbyterian Seminary students I get to drink beer with on a regular basis and they've chatted with Brian about it, and that's what they all tell me.

http://www.amazon.com/Revelation-Commentary-New-Testament-Library/dp/0664221211

People believe different things.  I have a high opinion of careful and critical scholarship, and a really high opinion of Brian Blount.

Watt-Zeefuik

That sounds kind of fundamentalist and more a sign of the American kind of Christianity, which is strange because presumably UglyAmerican is American so I'm full of intrigue for what this thread has in store.

There are a lot of American kinds of Christianity.  I happen to be Presbyterian, which is of course a fairly Scottish form but has its own 'murican-ness about it as well.  We have to deal with a lot of both fundamentalists and evangelicals, many of whom are perfectly nice people one-on-one but with whom I disagree about a huge number of things, and think their beliefs are damaging both to the church and to society as a whole.

Presbyterians are pretty obsessed with scripture and it often gets referred to as the Word of God, but the majority of American Presbyterians consider it to be as written by human intermediaries who were inherently imperfect.  (I personally don't call scripture the Word of God and the wife hasn't excommunicated me yet...)

Edited by Ugly American

scott herbertson

There certainly are quite a lot of people who believe that (as discussions on here have shown), but there's a history to that belief, and it's a lot less ancient than many people like to claim (it has a lot to do with resisting authoritarianism of Renaissance Popes).

The guy who wrote this book usually attends my church.  I'm not a biblical scholar, I haven't read this, and I haven't spoken to Brian about this particular issue, but I have chatted about this with a bunch of Union Presbyterian Seminary students I get to drink beer with on a regular basis and they've chatted with Brian about it, and that's what they all tell me.

http://www.amazon.com/Revelation-Commentary-New-Testament-Library/dp/0664221211

People believe different things.  I have a high opinion of careful and critical scholarship, and a really high opinion of Brian Blount.

Interesting - might get a copy of that as when i read revelations I thought it read like the rantings of someone in severe stress - could have been written by Marat or Syd Barratt. I'd like to read a more reasoned analysis of it than I could make.

scott herbertson

Incidentally I have a pretty large library of post apocalyptic fiction, and I am going to this event on February 23rd

http://www.meetup.com/post-apocalypticbookclub/

Not sure if there is an Edinburgh branch

I have also read a fair amount of survivalist stuff, most of it amateurish, misinformed or plain crazy.

This is a good site by a sarajevo survivor. His guides and commentary are laced with realism and a fair amount of common sense. Worth subscribing (I have for a couple of years without any payment or junk mail)

http://shtfschool.com/security/on-terror/

Watt-Zeefuik

Incidentally I have a pretty large library of post apocalyptic fiction, and I am going to this event on February 23rd

I have also read a fair amount of survivalist stuff, most of it amateurish, misinformed or plain crazy.

This is a good site by a sarajevo survivor. His guides and commentary are laced with realism and a fair amount of common sense. Worth subscribing (I have for a couple of years without any payment or junk mail)

Nice.  I used to think the post-apocalyptic martial arts movie was the most fool-proof genre for bad-but-fun-to-watch movies.  Then I saw the live action Fist of the North Star (featuring Downtown Julie Brown!) and changed my view.

That's cool, I'm sure I would enjoy the book club, nothing to do with it being held in a pub of course. :smiley2:

• 5 months later...