Are we in end times?

Jambo 4 Ever

Phew!!!! 

Looks like we've made it through yet another end of the world prophecy, that's 78 now I've lived through in my lifetime. 

How long can we relax for? 

When is the next doomsday prophecy? 

How long will it be before the next fruitcake proclaims to the world that 'God spoke to me' and you need to repent and you can only be saved if you join my church (donations can be made to this account)

And people believe this cack.  :facepalm:

This particular End of Days silliness didn't manage to cross the pond, but the most recent ones in the US involved people cleaning out their accounts to spend on ad campaigns to save as many souls as possible, then having to figure out how to live when it turns out they actually needed their retirement savings.

Funny how nobody ever calculates the End of Days as being 500 years in the future.  It always seems to be next year.  I chalk it up to the desperate desire to feel like our lives are important -- if Jesus comes during our lifetime (or Quetzalcoatl or whoever) it means we're really important, the utter drudgery of existence to the contrary. 

Phew!!!! 

Looks like we've made it through yet another end of the world prophecy, that's 78 now I've lived through in my lifetime. 

How long can we relax for? 

When is the next doomsday prophecy? 

How long will it be before the next fruitcake proclaims to the world that 'God spoke to me' and you need to repent and you can only be saved if you join my church (donations can be made to this account). 

And people believe this cack.  :facepalm:

Better enjoy the next week or so as the destruction of the Universe is happening on October 7th 2015.

According to the eBible Fellowship, yes more religous nutjobs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dates_predicted_for_apocalyptic_events

A sentence from the above article.

'The ?blood moon,? coupled with recent natural disasters and unrest, has led some to believe the end of times are coming and retailers who sell emergency preparedness kits are making a killing.'

What's that old saying about a fool and their money? 

Just on the of chance that there are any fools out there and you feel the need to spend your money, I have this friend in Nigeria who can invest it in a wonderful

once in a lifetime opportunity.  :munny:

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

• 2 weeks later...
Jam Tarts 1874

I don't know why some people purporting to be Christians continue to do this.  The scriptures are very clear on the subject - only God knows the date.

The people who keep popping up with these types of claim are far from being affiliated to any mainstream church.

Oh my giddy aunt, here we go again!!! 

Just when you thought it safe to come out of the bunker or to eat those survival food rations you bought some other Christian nutjob rears their head over the parapet, only this time no date is set unless I've missed that part.

So what they are saying is something perhaps could maybe possibly potentially might happen sometime maybe in the future if possibly perhaps some bad guys might possibly do something bad. 

Serious question.

Why do a lot of Christians keep thinking the end of the world is about to happen?  Do they have a death wish or something?  

Every few weeks/months/years somebody comes out with 'I read it in the bible' or 'God told me' kind of statement, do Christians hate life so much that they want it to end? 

Or is it that it makes them feel superior over other religions because they think their holy book foretells humankinds destruction.

Don't they realise every time that they come out with these so called biblical prophecies and they don't happen all they do is undermine their own religion. 

Just when you thought it safe to come out of the bunker or to eat those survival food rations you bought some other Christian nutjob rears their head over the parapet, only this time no date is set unless I've missed that part.

So what they are saying is something perhaps could maybe possibly potentially might happen sometime maybe in the future if possibly perhaps some bad guys might possibly do something bad. 

Serious question.

Why do a lot of Christians keep thinking the end of the world is about to happen?  Do they have a death wish or something?  

Every few weeks/months/years somebody comes out with 'I read it in the bible' or 'God told me' kind of statement, do Christians hate life so much that they want it to end? 

Or is it that it makes them feel superior over other religions because they think their holy book foretells humankinds destruction.

Don't they realise every time that they come out with these so called biblical prophecies and they don't happen all they do is undermine their own religion. 

From what I understand, it is to do with them wanting Jesus to come again and for all of them to go to Heaven - but perhaps some resident christians on here can explain?  And alot of what they say can not be argued.   Don't know what to make of it myself to be honest.

Did you read any of the stuff in those links?  What a load of superstitious tripe.

The mark of the Beast?  Messages from Angels?  Seven plagues inflicted on those who reject God's love?  The closing of Heaven's door?  The battle of Armageddon against the forces of Satan?  All based on books that were written millennia ago.

Seriously, anyone who pays attention to those claims needs to give themselves a shake.

Did you read any of the stuff in those links?  What a load of superstitious tripe.

The mark of the Beast?  Messages from Angels?  Seven plagues inflicted on those who reject God's love?  The closing of Heaven's door?  The battle of Armageddon against the forces of Satan?  All based on books that were written millennia ago.

Seriously, anyone who pays attention to those claims needs to give themselves a shake.

What about people like http://allnewspipeline.com/1994_Rev_David_Wilkerson_Sermon.php

Some of what he says has come true

Rather than me reading the link, who is he and what has he said that came true?

In a nutshell:

David Wilkerson had a series of visions and angelic visitations from the lord during his life time until his death in 2011, about the coming collapse of the U.S. economy and the destruction of America. In the economic collapse there will be riots and fires all across major cities in this nation. This will be a time of great apostasy and persecution in the church like never before. After the economic collapse of the United States the nation will be at its weakest point. A hydrogen holocaust will then sweep this nation in a Russian invasion of America. When Israel sees the destruction of America Russia will try to invade the Holy Land where 5/6th of the army's of Russia will be destroyed by Jesus himself.

But he has apparently had many visions that have come true.  I don't necessarily believe all this nonsense but am interested to hear what others think

:rofl:

You must be trolling, Jambo in Hamilton.

Seriously I am not.  Please do not comment if you are not interested/if this annoys you - I am just interested to hear what other people's opinions are on all this. thanks

What about people like http://allnewspipeline.com/1994_Rev_David_Wilkerson_Sermon.php

What a pile of cack.  Where did he warn about Greece?

He said one nation in Europe, North Africa or Eastern (I assume Asian) will default, wow that's really clever only about 100+ countries to pick from, he couldn't even pin it down to a particular continent.  

So I'll make some predictions.

Within the next 25 years, there will be a civil war somewhere in Africa, people will die due to drought or floods and there will be turmoil on the stock markets, oh and there will still be no peace in the middle east.

Do I think of myself as being able to see into the future, hell no, it's common sense mate, there are certain things which just repeat over and over and over again.

You ask for peoples opinion and my opinion is that there are many people out there who will pray on the gullible and just tell them what they want to hear.

I'll make another prediction.

The Earth will end someday and humankind will die out, this I'm certain off, however I'm also certain that it won't have been foretold in the Bible and God certainly will have nothing to do with the end of times.

Riddley Walker

Seriously I am not. Please do not comment if you are not interested/if this annoys you - I am just interested to hear what other people's opinions are on all this. thanks

It doesn't annoy me, and I am interested in people who think this.

What on earth makes you think that there is any legitimacy to this? The links you provide are nonsensical. Every previous prediction has been incorrect. People cannot look into the future.

I mean, c'mon man, wise up.

Serious question.

DMT, LSD, Mushy tea.

Daydream Believer

Serious question.

My suspicion is that they are so embittered by how shite their lives are in comparison to everyone else who has spent their time having fun, that they grasp hold of the idea that they are all getting to heaven while everyone else goes to hell. If the rapture did ever come and you were waiting in line at the pearly gates then they would be round St Peter like Celtic players round a ref demanding that he sends you to hell for not being as miserable as them.

My suspicion is that they are so embittered by how shite their lives are in comparison to everyone else who has spent their time having fun, that they grasp hold of the idea that they are all getting to heaven while everyone else goes to hell. If the rapture did ever come and you were waiting in line at the pearly gates then they would be round St Peter like Celtic players round a ref demanding that he sends you to hell for not being as miserable as them.

The thought of spending eternity with a bunch of Holy Joes fills me with dread. 

Good job I'm going downstairs, never liked the cold anyway.

As it's all over the news today if you want predictions that actually have come true then you need look no further than here.

http://time.com/money/4076862/back-to-the-future-day-predictions-accuracy/

It's a good job for the whole world that the bible soothsayers haven't been as accurate as these film writers were. 

Seriously I am not. Please do not comment if you are not interested/if this annoys you - I am just interested to hear what other people's opinions are on all this. thanks

Wait a minute, the thread's called "are we in end times?", you want to hear other people's opinions, but please do not comment if you are not interested or annoyed?

Your beliefs are just that- beliefs.

Nothing more, nothing less.

They're only sacred to you and it's not reasonable or fair to expect others to tiptoe round them when you're spouting utter bollocks that gets repeatedly proved wrong every few weeks.

Christians are too used to the world having to listen to their shite, time to evolve people!

Edited by Smithee

Serious question.

That is exactly it, it's what most major religions trade on - fear of death and the promise that they alone can save you. Nothing but a death cult given pseudo legitimacy by the sheer numbers who buy into it.

I've just finished reading The Road, I'm not sure I fancy this end of times business at all. It sounds rotten.

It's bleak stuff - but a far more honest take on the reality of mortality which is, imo, what Cormac McCarthy was writing about since he, as an aging parent, had a young son and was struck by concern he might not be around for much of his life. I watched the film adaptation too - with the missus and she was pissed off at me for ruining a whole evening on something so bleak with so little hope or redemption contained within it, if I recall she went to bed in a bit of a depressed huff. I think it's a masterpiece.

I still want my Armageddon, if it comes, to be zombies. I reckon with a bit of A-team style bodging in the man cave I can fit a chain saw to the winch bumper and a roof-top flame thrower to Jarvis, my old SIIa landrover. And all those zombie movies and books should have us pretty well prepared!! :D

Edited by Gizmo

Wait a minute, the thread's called "are we in end times?", you want to hear other people's opinions, but please do not comment if you are not interested or annoyed?

Your beliefs are just that- beliefs.

Nothing more, nothing less.

They're only sacred to you and it's not reasonable or fair to expect others to tiptoe round them when you're spouting utter bollocks that gets repeatedly proved wrong every few weeks.

Christians are too used to the world having to listen to their shite, time to evolve people!

And if people didn't listen or had a different view point they were persecuted and or killed, ask the Cathars for example or the millions of young women branded as witches. 

C'mon what religion throws people who are tied up into a river and if they floated they were guilty and burnt them at the stake and if they drowned they were innocent. 

For the most of it's 2000 year history Christianity has been a religion based on fear, bullying, intimidation and repression.

If I had written this 500 years ago I would have been killed in the name of God/Jesus for doing so.

And if people didn't listen or had a different view point they were persecuted and or killed, ask the Cathars for example or the millions of young women branded as witches. 

C'mon what religion throws people who are tied up into a river and if they floated they were guilty and burnt them at the stake and if they drowned they were innocent. 

For the most of it's 2000 year history Christianity has been a religion based on fear, bullying, intimidation and repression.

If I had written this 500 years ago I would have been killed in the name of God/Jesus for doing so.

I would undoubtedly have been stoned :smoking:

Serious question.

Why do Marxists keep thinking the Revolution is about to happen?  

Red-letter words in the gospels are actually a pretty clear warning against claiming you know when the "end times" are coming, but people keep doing it anyway.   As I said elsewhere, if the end times are at hand, it gives you an explanation as to why your life is sh-t, some hope for it getting better (or imminent paradise or something), and serious comeuppance for all the people you really don't like.  If the end times are far off or never coming, then life is just sh-t and is going to keep being sh-t for you and your kids and grandkids and on down.

There's nothing particularly uniquely Christian about this tendency -- David Ickes manages to sell people on even crazier nonsense without any help from organized religion.

Seriously I am not.  Please do not comment if you are not interested/if this annoys you - I am just interested to hear what other people's opinions are on all this. thanks

So very serious question here, and I'm not trying to troll or nitpick.  You seem to have a fascination with what I would call fringe theories, particularly about the end times and events of cosmic significance.  How did you get interested in this?  You post a lot of different links here -- where do you find these, and what do you find interesting about this?

You have a tendency to post things, saying, "just interested in what other people's opinions are," without ever sharing why you post them or what your opinion is.  Do you think some of these might be true, and want our take to see if they are?

Again, I am genuinely curious.

And just to make it three posts in a row . . . 

Related links on eschatology:

In western religion and culture:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apocalypticism

In Buddhism (4600 CE!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhist_eschatology

A guy who thinks religion is delusion, God is a lie, and, well, you'll have to see for yourself.

http://www.timecube.com/

(Posting that last one for two reasons -- one, to reiterate that religion isn't necessary for the generation of nonsense, and two, because, well, just look at the site.  Makes David Ickes seem like Stephen Hawking.)

In a nutshell:

David Wilkerson had a series of visions and angelic visitations from the lord during his life time until his death in 2011, about the coming collapse of the U.S. economy and the destruction of America. In the economic collapse there will be riots and fires all across major cities in this nation. This will be a time of great apostasy and persecution in the church like never before. After the economic collapse of the United States the nation will be at its weakest point. A hydrogen holocaust will then sweep this nation in a Russian invasion of America. When Israel sees the destruction of America Russia will try to invade the Holy Land where 5/6th of the army's of Russia will be destroyed by Jesus himself.

But he has apparently had many visions that have come true. I don't necessarily believe all this nonsense but am interested to hear what others think

It's nonsense.

What has he said that's come true?

Folk that believe all this shouldn't be allowed into normal society. Definitely not in roles where they have a responsibility for the wellbeing of others. Absolute fruit loops.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Why do Marxists keep thinking the Revolution is about to happen?  

Red-letter words in the gospels are actually a pretty clear warning against claiming you know when the "end times" are coming, but people keep doing it anyway.   As I said elsewhere, if the end times are at hand, it gives you an explanation as to why your life is sh-t, some hope for it getting better (or imminent paradise or something), and serious comeuppance for all the people you really don't like.  If the end times are far off or never coming, then life is just sh-t and is going to keep being sh-t for you and your kids and grandkids and on down.

There's nothing particularly uniquely Christian about this tendency -- David Ickes manages to sell people on even crazier nonsense without any help from organized religion.

Good analysis and probably quite true for many, however where it falls down for me is that I'm happy with my life as it is and I'm not looking for something better. 

David Icke now there's a name from the past.

The British people preparing for the end of the world

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34637377

:4_1_72:

Going to take to the waterways at midnight as that will be the best time to escape and prevent others from stealing from you, wearing a big torch on his head, that'll go unnoticed right enough.

How thick are these people?  What makes them think that they'll survive a catastrophe in the first place?

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

:4_1_72:

Going to take to the waterways at midnight as that will be the best time to escape and prevent others from stealing from you, wearing a big torch on his head, that'll go unnoticed right enough.

How thick are these people?  What makes them think that they'll survive a catastrophe in the first place?

If the next monetary crash is anything like what some are saying it will be, society will brake down and it won't be pretty. I would rather be him if that happens and there won't be many laughing at him then.

If the next monetary crash is anything like what some are saying it will be, society will brake down and it won't be pretty. I would rather be him if that happens and there won't be many laughing at him then.

You are correct as he'll become a target and be hunted by the very people he's trying to avoid and we all know that's what will happen if society brakes down, so no I wouldn't rather be like him.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.inthebeginning.com/articles/norway1968.htm

What about these visions possibly coming true?

If she was "a very alert, reliable, awake and credible Christian, with a good reputation among all who knew her", it must be true.

She must be able to tell the future, this unnamed woman who definitely existed (according to the church who want you to believe these stories.)

Sorry for the sarcasm, I really don't know how else to deal with what I consider to be obvious shite

You are correct as he'll become a target and be hunted by the very people he's trying to avoid and we all know that's what will happen if society brakes down, so no I wouldn't rather be like him.

What? Ok, on you go.

Edited by niblick1874